local heros

• Thread starter writerinthesage
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.

writerinthesage

I am working on a project that is perhaps out of my 'experience' range, and was wondering if anyone had ever tread a similar path to the one on which I now find myself. I live in a small community, with a generous sampling of individuals whose years reach far back in time to perhaps the twenties and thirties in some cases. One of these indivuals is a dear friend of mine. While 40 years my senior, I enjoy our weekly coffee and chat. During one of these recent visits, I was given a cd with a remarkable legend on it. There are photographs, newspapers clippings, letters from friends, and a wealth of information. I feel that it is a great honor and gift to be given this. I was instructed to "see what I could do with it", i.e. write a book, or short story, or brief historical account. The events occurred locally, and the individual is a local 'forgotten' hero, since he lived during WWII and died in the mid sixties. If I write a series of kids books on 'the adventures of..', or a YA novel about this guy, what quagmire am I facing as far as copy rights, individual identity 'rights' (I don't know the terms here), are concerned? Not to mention fearing the impact on the delicate feelings of friends and perhaps living relatives who might take offense if I botch the job! What do I do with this gift?

Ursula :Wha:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.