PDA

View Full Version : Attn: Parents and Teachers - Separation Anxiety and Children

eliza1903
05-05-2008, 08:39 PM
Hey, all!

Looking for teachers, parents, anyone with a childhood psychology specialty, et cetera. I'm looking for hints to help kids of all ages deal with Separation Anxiety -- "normal" cases as well as abnormal cases. Anything you've done that's worked would be great.

Thoughts I want to cover in the article:

- separation anxiety from infancy to school-aged kids
- causes
- signs, especially unusual ones
- coping techniques

Thanks, y'all! You're awesome!

Stressed
05-09-2008, 04:04 PM
My son, who's 4 1/2, had a really harrowing time settling into his preschool... though it was only two days a week he'd be teribly upset when I left adn get very emotional when I arrived to pick him up too. The teachers told me he asked for me all day. This went on for weeks and then one of the teachers suggested I give him picture of me he could carry around and look at when he was upset - sort of a reminder, I guess.

It worked really well, tho I had to print them out constantly because they kept going into the laundry in his pockets! Hope that helps.

xiph
05-09-2008, 06:59 PM
[deleted]

Melanie Nilles
05-10-2008, 01:51 AM
I don't specialize in child psych, but I am a daycare provider and have seen different levels of anxiety when kids are dropped off with me (usually not a big deal, but around certain ages, it tends to be more so).