PDA

View Full Version : A whole lotta shake'n going on - recent earthquakes

Tornadoboy
05-05-2008, 06:33 PM
Now a 5.2 in Missouri, not unheard of but it seems conspicuous to me in light of all the other recent events.

Is it me, or lately does there seem to be a whole lot of unusual seismic activity going on in the United States?

Seaclusion
05-05-2008, 06:40 PM
Yes, it is the groundswell of public opinion about to burst through to the surface.

Richard

Tink
05-05-2008, 06:53 PM
Now a 5.2 in Missouri, not unheard of but it seems conspicuous to me in light of all the other recent events.

Is it me, or lately does there seem to be a whole lot of unusual seismic activity going on in the United States?

I am from Missouri and I live very near the New Madrid Fault Line and we have small tremors all the time. Hundreds a week but nothing strong enough to report.
The 5.2 was actually centered in SE Illinois in another fault zone.
Earthquakes aren't uncommon at all in the area where I live.

Maryn
05-05-2008, 07:09 PM
Was it last week or the week before that Nevada was shaking Terri to pieces?

Earthquakes remind me that blizzards aren't so bad...

Maryn, far from fault lines

johnnysannie
05-05-2008, 07:56 PM

Think New Madrid Fault.

It is a major one and although there hasn't been a big earthquake since the early 1800's (when there was a catacylsmic one), it isn't that uncommon to experience tremors.

I've lived in both north and south Missouri; felt tremors both places on occasion but nothing big.

Not yet, anyway.