PDA

View Full Version : CHANTIX - does it give you writer's block?

theengel
05-05-2008, 05:44 PM
Hats off to anyone who has quit smoking on their own. But as hard as I try, I still keep slipping back into the old habit. So I'm thinking about going on the CHANTIX pill.

I've heard quite a few success stories about it, but never from writers. I've heard writers say that anti-depressants and other mood meds give them a block.

I think the benefit of quitting would justify me taking a month off the novel I'm working on, but that's not the only thing I'm working on. I have a day job where I need to produce the words, and I have freelance clients.

So I'm scared to death to start taking it.

Any advice? Have any of you been on it?

cray
05-05-2008, 05:45 PM
http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=94879&highlight=CHANTIX

theengel
05-05-2008, 06:10 PM
I didn't see anything there about writer's block, so I guess I'll assume that it's not a big side effect.

Siddow
05-05-2008, 06:10 PM
Cray has linked to a bad experience for you, and I've got some comments in there, too, but here's an update: I've been smoke-free for 67 days because Chantix helped me get through those first crucial days when the cravings can be so bad.

Here's what I recommend, if you do decide to take it: Stay at the lowest dose possible, and get off of it as quickly as you can. I only took it for 2 1/2 weeks. That's it!

I didn't have any of the mental side-effects that Unique talks about it. I was more, um, giddy while taking it. I was talking with someone here about it (perhaps she'll come along and share her story), about how the warning say that Chantix can bring out any underlying psychiatric conditions, so that means underneath my normally serious demeanor, I must be a giggling little schoolgirl, lol.

I can't answer to 'blocking'. I'm not producing much these days, but I ascribe that more to other things going on in my life now, not because I took Chantix or quit smoking. And the decline of my content doesn't match the timeframe of taking Chantix anyway.

Good luck!

steveg144
05-05-2008, 06:25 PM
If it's a worry, allow me to recommend the nicotine gum. I bought a box of Nicorette two days after it started being sold OTC, and never looked back (after smoking for almost 25 years). Been smoke-free for twelve years now, knock on wood. Of course, I was cross-addicted to the gum for almost a year, but it was a small price to pay, and I gave up the gum because I got bored with having a tired, achy jaw from all the constant chewing. ;)

Unique
05-05-2008, 10:16 PM
Thankxx cray and Siddow -

I'm not around a lot right/write now so thank you for giving the warning.

Writer's Block - uh .. not for me. Actually I felt quite creative but my computer wouldn't keep up with my brain, let alone my hands.

Speedy Gonzalez - that was me. It may help you quit if nothing else ever has....but be careful! And please do have someone who knows you well keep a weather eye on you.

Best of luck on quitting and writing. My writer's "drought" has finally broken; I thought it never would. <<-- that's an exaggeration. It just took a long time.

theengel
05-06-2008, 07:07 AM
Thanks for the input everyone.

I started taking it tonight. I guess we'll see.

Erice