Not open for further replies.

Torin

Wandering vaguely
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cebarrett.com
Got this today in email from an erotica publisher:

"I think you are a wonderful writer, and I am amazed that no publisher has yet to offer you a contract.
That being said, I'm sorry to say that your story doesn't fit within our line because we do not publish in the sub-genre of fantasy."

Sigh.

And it doesn't fit into romantic erotica because it's not a happy-ever-after ending.

Double sigh.

Torin

Edit: I know it's actually a very good rejection, very positive, but it's so hard to be so close and still, no matter how you slice it, it's a rejection.

Last edited:

Susie

Thanks, special friend for my avi!
Registered
Reaction score
Hi, Turin

Wow,that bites with the rejection, but look what they wrote. They said you're a wonderful writer and surprised no one has published it yet. That's fantastic. Editors don't just say that! Keep writing and be encouraged. You'll get there.

Warm regards, Susie:)

dragonjax

I write stuff and break boards.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jackiekessler.com
Have you tried LUNA?

I'm not sure where the line between romance and erotica is drawn, but you may want to try querying LUNA Books (assuming that you have a strong female protagonist at the center of the story).

I'm sorry about the rejection...but that's hardly the worst one out there. If the publisher said, "Yo, don't quit your day job," that would be much, much worse. ;)

brinkett

Elder Scrolls devotee
Registered
Reaction score
That's a pretty positive rejection--something to celebrate! Cross them off your list and move on to the next publisher.

Torin

Wandering vaguely
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cebarrett.com
I know it's positive, but that makes it even more heartbreaking. Tell me the writing sucks and that's why you're rejecting it. Don't tell me it's great but you're not taking it anyway. :cry:

It's on its way to a different publisher, even as we speak. I refuse to lie down after that rejection, but still... :Headbang:

Torin

Sassenach

5 W's & an H
Registered
Reaction score
Torin said:
Got this today in email from an erotica publisher:

"I think you are a wonderful writer, and I am amazed that no publisher has yet to offer you a contract.
That being said, I'm sorry to say that your story doesn't fit within our line because we do not publish in the sub-genre of fantasy."

Did you realize they don't publish fantasy when you submitted? If so, that's an extraordinarily positive and polite rejection, considering you wasted their time.

If you didn't, pay more attention to submission guidelines, and find publishers more suitable to your sub-genre.

Torin

Wandering vaguely
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cebarrett.com
No, it wasn't clear on the site that they don't publish fantasy erotica. If it HAD been clear, I wouldn't have submitted to them. The site says:

"...now accepting exclusive submissions for publication in all the sub-genres..."

But apparently, not fantasy. Oh well.

Last edited:

MacAllister

'Twas but a dream of thee
Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
Yeah, I especially hate those email rejections that come in blank, except for the word "remove" in the subject line...

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
You think that's bad, Mac? Try this.

"Your message cannot be delivered. The recipient seems to have moved out of the country in antipication of your e-mail. Send one more time, and we'll send you to the cops for spamming."

Greenwolf103

I'm a grrrl dog, yo
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
dmcwriter.tripod.com
Or how about one of those "failure to deliver" notices that say my message is forbidden??

Torin, I am sorry you were rejected. Good for you for submitting to another publisher. Hang in there and keep on keepin' on!

bluejester12

I write and I wrong
Registered
Reaction score
Torin said:
I know it's positive, but that makes it even more heartbreaking. Tell me the writing sucks and that's why you're rejecting it. Don't tell me it's great but you're not taking it anyway. :cry:

It's on its way to a different publisher, even as we speak. I refuse to lie down after that rejection, but still... :Headbang:

Torin

I hear ya. It's like that girl that told me she feels she really connected with me then on her next email she says shes getting back with her old boyfriend.

Maybe word of you will get around and when another publisher sees your name..they wont remember where they heard it :Shrug: but subconciously will want to read it. :Thumbs:

Natalia

I Moved Your Cheese
Registered
Reaction score
Website
pegasus.cc.ucf.edu
You are great but not for us... ugh

London Mag sent me an email saying they really did enjoy reading my story but they can't publish it... can't? What's stopping you? Give me a clue, people.

Torin...at least they think you are pretty amazing... it's better than "you suck, go away..."

Sending you good luck vibes...

Torin

Wandering vaguely
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cebarrett.com
Thanks, everyone, for the sympathy. :)

Over in the self-promotion thread I posted that the next publisher I sent it off to has sent me a contract and I read it, reread it, and mailed it back to them today. :Cheers:

Torin

Status
Not open for further replies.