PDA

View Full Version : How much is that doggy in the window?

Joycecwilliams
05-05-2008, 09:46 AM
I went and pick up our foster pug today. A sweet 2 and half year old black pug.

She has been breed so much that her teets are hanging half way down to her knees..

She also has a bad case of mange and mites.

She does not know how to chew. This is because puppy mills feed their dogs, leftovers from dog food makers... they get the crumbs and remains that they sweep up off the floor. She did not or could not chew on a small dog treat I gave her. She is starving but doesn't hasn't figured out she has to chew her food. I made her some brown rice, but she didn't eat that much.

She also is afraid of noise, didn't know how to walk up steps, and has sore paws from walking on the wire on the metal cages.

And she is not housebroken.

She has a sweet disposition, but needs to be cared for and rehabilitated so she can be adopted.

What adds insults to injury is... she was bought at an auction, where the puppy mill owners auction off dogs and a lot of the smaller ones end up bait for pit bulls..

So the next time you see some cute puppy in the pet store... and see the unbelievable prices they charge... It is nothing compared to the harm that are done to the other dogs.....

Puppy Mills (http://prisonersofgreed.org/Broker.html)

Petstore cruelty (http://www.petstorecruelty.org/Hunte%20Corp.htm)

P.H.Delarran
05-05-2008, 09:52 AM
terribly appalling.
bless you for fostering this dog-I hope it goes well.

Appalachian Writer
05-05-2008, 04:53 PM
God bless you, Joyce. I wouldn't know how to begin to rehabiliate such an animal. What do you do to teach a dog of her age to chew? Is she friendly enough to allow you to manipulate her jaw? How do you do it?

Komnena
05-05-2008, 10:26 PM
Not all pet stores are evil. I think it's okay to buy from those working with local rescue organizations, such as Feeder's Supply here in Louisville.
I hate hearing about these animal auctions.

Soccer Mom
05-06-2008, 01:14 AM
Poor little girl. The good news is that she is still young enough to have a wonderful life. I'm glad you'll be helping her.

TerzaRima
05-06-2008, 01:20 AM
Good on you, Joyce.

WAHMBrenda
05-06-2008, 03:51 PM
I'm glad there's people like you who have a heart for these poor animals. I watched Oprah's dog mill show and was sickened. My 6yo daughter and I watch Animal Cops and she says she wants to be an animal cop, which I encourage, but we'll see.

Perks
05-06-2008, 03:52 PM
That's just horrible. I've never owned a dog and my children are starting to grumble about wanting one. So, if we ever make that move, I'll remember what you've said here.

Yeshanu
05-06-2008, 06:08 PM
That's just sick. I doubt I'll ever buy a dog, and I don't get my cats at pet stores, but thanks for the heads up. With your permission, Joyce, I'd like to put an edited version of this post in my co-op newsletter, though. Perhaps others might be helped by this info.