PDA

View Full Version : TIVO Rant

GeorgeK
05-05-2008, 09:03 AM
We have a dish dvr and constantly see ads that it is better than Tivo. Never having had Tivo, I can't say but the Dishnetwork dvr we have will fail to tape a program about 15% of the time. Of that 15%, usually it simply fails to tape, sometimes tapes the wrong thing out of order, sometimes will tape a random show (well the trend isn't random on what it tapes, just when it tapes it. Usually it's one of those fashion/model/design/reality tv shows. I can't keep them straight, being disinterested in the topic). It also will simply randomly delete things that have been taped, even protected things when there's plenty of hours available such that it wasn't just getting bumped. It will also frequently fail to get the signal of a show during the show and the only significant weather phenomena are on the other side of the planet. It also locks up almost daily where it wont turn on.

I've sent letters which they've obviously not read because all that comes back are form letters announcing something to the effect of, "Thanks for the wonderful feedback. We're glad you agree in how great a job we do..."

Does this sound like Tivo, if you have it?

Dawno
05-05-2008, 09:05 AM
Not my TiVo. We were early adopters and have kept using TiVo ever since - we're on our second one and the first one still works great, we just wanted the extra memory and features.

maestrowork
05-05-2008, 01:38 PM
Nope. My tivo is reliable almost 100% and the only time it failed to record anything was when the schedule changed for no reason (say, they preempted a show or something) or if the cable box failed, etc. It also doesn't randomly delete -- you know if you're running out of space and you can choose which to keep. And the new "undelete" feature is handy.

Let's just say not all DVRs are equal. Tivo is great -- I wish they have a better interface, but it works flawlessly since I got it.

Susan Gable
05-05-2008, 03:45 PM
My DISH DVR doesn't do those things you mention. We have two of them in our house.

The thing that annoys me is shows that go five minutes over their end time -- I HATE missing the end of the show because it was supposed to end at 9:00, but is extended. (Lost has done this sometimes, and a few other shows.)

Susan G.

MattW
05-05-2008, 03:57 PM
Things that mess up my TIVO:

Shows running 30 seconds long, or right up to the end point so the final scene is truncated.

Channels that run consistently late (Comedy Central!) despite the schedule.

Last minute schedule changes.

Recurring shows that do not update their info and only post generic info, so TIVO thinks reruns are new.

"Live event" feature only works for sports I guess - all other live shows that run long are cut off.

Will Lavender
05-05-2008, 04:49 PM

Shows running 30 seconds long, or right up to the end point so the final scene is truncated.

I always choose Options and record for 30 minutes longer than the show runs.

And my Tivo has never caused me problems. I've taped thousands of things and never had one problem with it.

Perhaps you have a faulty machine, George. If it's deleting, then you've likely got the timer set to delete after a certain time. You can go into the options and extend the time you want each program.

maestrowork
05-05-2008, 07:38 PM

Channels that run consistently late (Comedy Central!) despite the schedule.

Last minute schedule changes.

Recurring shows that do not update their info and only post generic info, so TIVO thinks reruns are new.

"Live event" feature only works for sports I guess - all other live shows that run long are cut off.

I always add minutes. Sometimes it's not Tivo's fault -- they only works with the schedules the satellite or cable companies put forth. But you do have the option to add up to an hour or two to the program if you really want. Especially live programs (such as the Oscars or Super Bowl) or programs/movies I really want to see - I always add minutes. For example, I find that HBO usually is not very accurate in their schedule and they usually overrun their movies by 1-3 minutes, on average. Adding 5 minutes to all the movies works like a charm.

There's also an "overlap" feature to help you decide what to do if you have two programs that overlap time slots.

The thing I don't like about Tivo is that it automatically records certain programs based on their suggestions; you have to manually disable that. Also, if you add a season pass, it goes to the bottom of the list; I think it should go to the top of the list and then you can change the order.

I LOVE the fact that I can put my music and photos on it, and it can download movies and music, or I can download programs on my laptop and take them with me.

slcboston
05-05-2008, 07:41 PM
I'm still operating my VCR...:cry:

maestrowork
05-05-2008, 07:42 PM
If you have the money, get a Tivo. It's easy to set up, and you will never imagine life without it.

Shadow_Ferret
05-05-2008, 07:43 PM
We have a dish dvr and constantly see ads that it is better than Tivo. Never having had Tivo, I can't say but the Dishnetwork dvr we have will fail to tape a program about 15% of the time. Of that 15%, usually it simply fails to tape, sometimes tapes the wrong thing out of order, sometimes will tape a random show (well the trend isn't random on what it tapes, just when it tapes it. Usually it's one of those fashion/model/design/reality tv shows. I can't keep them straight, being disinterested in the topic). It also will simply randomly delete things that have been taped, even protected things when there's plenty of hours available such that it wasn't just getting bumped. It will also frequently fail to get the signal of a show during the show and the only significant weather phenomena are on the other side of the planet. It also locks up almost daily where it wont turn on.

We used to have Dish Network and we NEVER had those problems. It was very realiable and the only time we had problems is if we lost power.

In fact, I loved my Dish Network DVR compared to our new U-Verse one. The Dish Network one seemed almost psychic about when to tape our shows and seemed to sense if a football game ran over and it would keep taping.

Uverse half the time doesn't even tape games if we set it up and if it goes past the scheduled time it just stops.

The thing that annoys me is shows that go five minutes over their end time -- I HATE missing the end of the show because it was supposed to end at 9:00, but is extended. (Lost has done this sometimes, and a few other shows.)

Susan G.You can go into settings and tell it how long after the show you want it to keep taping. I had mine set for about 3 minutes and we never missed the ends of anything.

katiemac
05-05-2008, 08:55 PM
We've added extra minutes to the TIVO also, so we won't miss the ending to extended episodes.

Never had a big problem with TIVO--the worst thing it's ever done is record repeat episodes of a show when we set it not to. It picks up heavily-repeated shows, like Colbert Report, and will record it again and again at 8:00, 8:30, etc. I think we've finally solved the issue, though, but for some reason it still likes to record repeats on Monday nights.

GeorgeK
05-05-2008, 09:35 PM
I always choose Options and record for 30 minutes longer than the show runs.

And my Tivo has never caused me problems. I've taped thousands of things and never had one problem with it.

Perhaps you have a faulty machine, George. If it's deleting, then you've likely got the timer set to delete after a certain time. You can go into the options and extend the time you want each program.

The deletions happened after one of their "updates". It's not the settings it's the dish network itself, or we have a lemon machine despite all the system checks. In a couple years the kids will probably have moved away and unless some new system becomes available, I'll just turn it off and leave it off. Netflicks has TV series. I'll just end up watching Dr Who a year late. The library carries a lot of the educational stuff. One of the problems with living in the middle of nowhere is every business essentially has a monopoly and so there is no interest in actually doing a good job.

GeorgeK
05-05-2008, 09:40 PM
..the only time we had problems is if we lost power. ...

Ok that may be a problem. We are second to last at the end of the electric line and have brief power outages lasting seconds several times a week. It's horrible on lighbulbs, particularly the compact flurescents for some reason. WE also have surge protectors on anything with computer parts.

maestrowork
05-05-2008, 11:32 PM
Get rid of the Dish DVR and get a Tivo? The dual-toner is only $99 and you can record two shows at the same time.

Shadow_Ferret
05-05-2008, 11:39 PM
Get rid of the Dish DVR and get a Tivo? The dual-toner is only $99 and you can record two shows at the same time.
Can you hook a TIVO up to your cable/satellite box?

We switched to U-Verse. The only complaint I had with Dish DVR was that you COULD only record 2 programs at once, and you had to be WATCHING one of them.

This U-Verse DVR seems unlimited in how many shows you can record at the same time.

maestrowork
05-05-2008, 11:42 PM
Can you hook a TIVO up to your cable/satellite box?

Yes, but since the Tivo controls the box to switch channels, I can't see how you can record unlimited # of shows at the same time.

As far as I know, the U-Verse can only record different shows if it's physically hooked up to different tuners, meaning if you want to record seven shows at the same time, you need seven different boxes or TV tuners. Unless I'm wrong....

Shadow_Ferret
05-06-2008, 12:02 AM
I think you're wrong. That was how our Dish Network worked We had 2 tuners on different TVs and you could record 2 shows, but you had to watch one of them on a TV as it recorded.

Our U-Verse one allows us to record several shows at the same time.

I think.

Maybe I'll doublecheck tonight.

The only problem with it is, only our main tuner can record, none of the others can. So we can only watch recordings on that one TV whereas with Dish we could watch whatever was recorded on either TV.

slcboston
05-06-2008, 12:05 AM
If you have the money, get a Tivo. It's easy to set up, and you will never imagine life without it.

Sadly, it's the first part of that equation that does me in. Though when my VCR does finally die (or the few blank tapes I have croak) I'll have no choice.

But, when they give you the little antennae for your head, can you get them in blue? I've always wanted to be an Andorran. :)

BarbaraKE
05-06-2008, 12:27 AM
I'm still operating my VCR...:cry:

Heck, I don't have television.

slcboston
05-06-2008, 12:29 AM
Heck, I don't have television.

You know what? I have to move soon (bcs the commute's killing me) and I keep looking at my tv and thinking... do I really need you? It may sound like heresy, but it's a big, heavy tv which I love - but don't want to move at all. With more and more of the few shows I watch online - the tv's looking awfully superfluous. :)

underthecity
05-06-2008, 12:29 AM
We got Dish DVR a few months ago. I can't imagine TV life without it now. And I don't even watch that much TV anymore. My wife does, though.

But anyway, I agree with pretty much everything that's been said about it. We haven't had any problems with the unit itself. And it's set to record five minutes before and after every program.

I think you're wrong. That was how our Dish Network worked We had 2 tuners on different TVs and you could record 2 shows, but you had to watch one of them on a TV as it recorded.

Yeah, Ray is wrong. Dish DVR can record two shows simulaneously: one on TV1 (main TV in HD) and the other on TV2 (analog signal). But you have to watch the show on the TV that's recording it.

I know a guy with TIVO and he told me he can type in a web address to watch like youtube videos on his TV. As far as I know, Dish DVR does not do that. This is the same guy who told me he signed up for TIVO when it was brand new and got a lifetime subscription for it. They don't offer it anymore. And it transfers when he moves. No monthly fees. That would be nice.

However, we like the caller ID feature very much.

allen

GeorgeK
05-06-2008, 05:00 AM
flat 99 bucks, or that plus a monthly fee, plus a new antennae?

maestrowork
05-06-2008, 05:08 AM
flat 99 bucks, or that plus a monthly fee, plus a new antennae?

There's a monthly subscription unless you are one of the "grandfathers" with the lifetime subscription (I am). No new antennae. The Tivo hooks up to the satellite box.

MattW
05-06-2008, 03:44 PM
There's a monthly subscription unless you are one of the "grandfathers" with the lifetime subscription (I am).I also am grandpappy.

Every now and then they will offer a deal to upgrade the box and you can keep the lifetime service. I'm waiting for the next one, but my agreement has paid for itself twice over, so no worries either way.

Shadow_Ferret
05-06-2008, 06:53 PM
We got Dish DVR a few months ago. I can't imagine TV life without it now.

I know. If I'm at someone else's house and miss something on TV I grab their remote to try to rewind it and just sort of look at them when it doesn't do anything.

But it's worse than that, I find myself trying to rewind the radio. "I missed that!" and I reach for the radio and realize I can't rewind it.

Many times I wish life had that rewind.

maestrowork
05-06-2008, 07:37 PM
I know. If I'm at someone else's house and miss something on TV I grab their remote to try to rewind it and just sort of look at them when it doesn't do anything.

LOL. You should see me at hotels. I can't watch TV in hotel rooms anymore. It's painful.