PDA

View Full Version : What do you want to be when you grow up?

katiemac
05-05-2008, 07:14 AM
When you were young, what did you want to be when you grew up?

Now that you're grown, what do you want to be when you grow up?

KTC
05-05-2008, 07:18 AM
When I was young I wanted to be old.

When I turned old I realized I wanted to think like I was young forever. I wanted to continue to eat the dishes.

The rest is just the shit in the middle. I don't care about careers. I enjoy the life that happens after my work day. I work with numbers in the day time and I work with words on the side. These things just happen. It's between these things...that's the area where I am blessed.

I always wanted to have family. When I was young I wanted family so bad I left my childhood to attain it. Now that I'm old and grown up... I have what I wanted. Family. And wonderful wonderful friendships too. Everything else is the shit you do to put food on the table and bricks around you so you can sleep in peace.

xiaotien
05-05-2008, 07:21 AM
i wanted to be a teacher, because i liked writing
on the chalk board.

i wanted to be a model or actress.

i pretended to be nadia the olympic gymnast
and a mermaid.

i also wrote, but i'm not sure if i ever considered
or seriously thought of being a writer. it didn't
seem to be an option?

now? i'm a stay at home mother
and a writer.

paprikapink
05-05-2008, 07:24 AM
I wanted to be a writer. Or a teacher.

I bummed around doing essentially nothing (dropping in and out of college, working clerical stuff) for a long time. Then I fell into technical writing, which was like falling into Home. It was like writing in a teachie way.

Starting in a few weeks I'll be homeschooling my daughter, so I guess in my case that'll be teaching in a writerly way.

I've had a truly charmed life.

Williebee
05-05-2008, 07:33 AM
What do I want to be when I grow up? I have no idea.

"Grown up" for me was supposed to have been years ago. Maybe I overslept that day. It was only a few years ago that I figured out what I was supposed to be doing (writing, storytelling). Maybe, if I'm unfortunate enough to have to grow up, I'll get to do that anyway.

Jersey Chick
05-05-2008, 09:00 AM
I wanted to be a lawyer.

A corporate lawyer.

But I always kind of knew I wanted to be writer - figured I could do that.. yanno... later.

Now, I don't want to be a lawyer. Some days I want to be a cop. Or a doctor. Or a jewel thief. And I get to be all those things - on paper.

So when I grow up (if I ever decide to actually grow up) - I'll probably still want to be a writer.

Or maybe Mata Hari. Who knows? :Shrug:

SPMiller
05-05-2008, 09:27 AM
For as long as I can remember, I always wanted to be a writer. That's my one dream which has never faded with time. Trouble is, I haven't managed to make money doing it yet.

It was much easier to go to college and write code all day.

So when I grow up, I still want to be a writer. If I finally start making money at it, will that mark my transition into the nebulous concept of adulthood? I wonder.

JoNightshade
05-05-2008, 11:12 AM
When I was a kid, I wanted to be pretty much everything.

As an adult, I realized I couldn't be everything, so I chose the best compromise. As a writer, I get to learn and write about everything, even if I can't do it. :)

JennaGlatzer
05-05-2008, 11:52 AM
According to my IQ test, when I was 4, I wanted to be an art teacher. I stayed pretty consistent about my three career dreams-- art, acting, or writing-- and ended up being an art major who switched to a communications major, whose first post-college work was as a professional actress.

But really, I answered the question best in my high school yearbook. "When I grow up, I want to be..." and I wrote "happy."

I'm still working on that part. So when I grow up, I want to be happy.

With three kids.

Shweta
05-05-2008, 12:38 PM
I have to grow up? :e2cry:

I've at least somewhat seriously thought about being an architect, a biochemist, an artist, and a college professor; when I was little I wanted to be an alien (I never quite got why anybody would want to be a princess, but ET was cool) or a dragon (well, who wouldn't?) or a dancer...
But all that time I've been writing stories. It's the one thing I've always wanted to do, rather than wanting to be. 'Bout two years ago I realized that, and joined Absolute Write :)

Inky
05-05-2008, 01:06 PM
When I was young, I wanted to be Rhet Butler's damsel in distress, kidnapped by a Sioux Indian warrior, or held captive by the captain of a pirate ship!

Now? I'd love to be a kick-ass vampiryss (it is TOO a word!), dressed in black leather with cleavage to die for, with an undercover day job as an author with J.K.Rowling paychecks.

:e2file:

EriRae
05-05-2008, 01:53 PM
When I was little, I wanted to be a cowgirl like Daisy Duke and ride around in fast cars and run from the cops. I wanted to be an actress. I wanted to be a reporter like Lois Lane. I wanted to be an archaeologist like Indiana Jones. I wanted to swim around in a pile of money in my vault like Scrooge McDuck.

Now, I want to sell enough work to quit my day job and do what I love for a living.

Devil Ledbetter
05-05-2008, 02:50 PM
When I was young I wanted to be old.

When I turned old I realized I wanted to think like I was young forever. I wanted to continue to eat the dishes.

The rest is just the shit in the middle. I don't care about careers. I enjoy the life that happens after my work day. I work with numbers in the day time and I work with words on the side. These things just happen. It's between these things...that's the area where I am blessed.

I always wanted to have family. When I was young I wanted family so bad I left my childhood to attain it. Now that I'm old and grown up... I have what I wanted. Family. And wonderful wonderful friendships too. Everything else is the shit you do to put food on the table and bricks around you so you can sleep in peace.
When someone asks what you do for a living, I think they are really asking "Who are you?" Who you are is a combination of what's important to you, and what you do about it. You can answer accordingly even if that doesn't involve mentioning your career, I think.

When I was a kid, I didn't "want to be a writer" when I grew up, because I already thought I was a writer (regardless of whether I actually was). Right now, there is nothing I want to "be when I grow up" because I already am grown up.

johnnysannie
05-05-2008, 03:30 PM

I wanted to be a writer. By the fourth grade I was scribbling stories and my first "novel" in the back of my three ring binder

I am a writer and I still want to be one!

steveg144
05-05-2008, 06:26 PM

1. A writer.

2. A writer.

James81
05-05-2008, 06:30 PM
I'm surprised at how FEW of the responses are "writer" considering where we are lol.

When I was young, I wanted to be a published author when I grew up.

Right now I am an Engineer (kinda went the other way with that one lol).

I'm returning to my childhood "dream" now, though, and in my best Rocky voice "It ain't over till it's over".

III
05-05-2008, 06:39 PM
When I was young, I wanted to be a writer. I put that dream aside when I became an adult and only recently rediscovered it because my own children are dreaming their dreams and I realized one day "oh yeah, I wanted to be a writer when I was young - I wonder whatever happened to that?" and I started writing novels.

As a young man I wanted to be a rock star because ... well, because I was ignorant about what makes a quality life.

Now I just want to be Christlike. I want to learn to be a virtuoso of the art of agape love. I feel like I'm still just getting started.

brokenfingers
05-05-2008, 06:40 PM
I don't ever want to grow up. Period.

robeiae
05-05-2008, 06:54 PM
What do you want to be when you grow up?

Drunk.

Jersey Chick
05-05-2008, 07:14 PM
You have to grow up for that??

Zelenka
05-05-2008, 07:16 PM
I wanted to be a writer from really early on, but I also remember wanting to be a scientist, right up until like third year of high school (when I switched to theatre).

Now, other than still wanting to be a writer, I have absolutely no idea what I want to be.

Maryn
05-05-2008, 07:28 PM
Until I was ten or so, I wanted to be (god, this is so embarrassing!) Kitty Carlisle. If you're of a certain age, you'll know who she is. I thought she was just the epitome of cool, wearing evening clothes and being witty on To Tell the Truth and What's My Line? Boy, Mom was nothing like that. If I couldn't be Kitty Carlisle, I'd settle for being the only cowgirl in Michigan.

Soon after that, I wanted to be a writer. I remember shrieking at my brother when I was about eleven because he ruined the short story I had in the typewriter. I'd left it at:

Mother was getting (I know, I know, passive voice!), and he'd finished the sentence for me: Mother was getting shot.

I no longer remember what the story was about or why I called the character Mother rather than Mom. That's what Kitty Carlisle would have called her mother, don't you think?

Maryn, who isn't much like Carlisle except for a fondness for the Marx Brothers

slcboston
05-05-2008, 07:30 PM
Now I just want to be Christlike.

A carpenter who dies brutally and young?

(Sorry - angels of my better nature lost out on that one. :e2seesaw:)

My answer to both would be a writer, obviously. :e2writer:

There have been diversions along the way, however. In no particular order:
Robin - as in Batman's sidekick. (I was 5, don't ask.)
An architect - before I discovered that didn't really let me play with legos.
A lawyer.

And the one thing I never expected to be, but now that I am brings me more joy than anything else: a parent.

CaroGirl
05-05-2008, 07:31 PM
I always wanted to be a writer. Now I want to be an author.

NeuroFizz
05-05-2008, 07:39 PM
Growing up, I wanted to play basketball in the NBA. Finally after two years of community college ball, I realized I wasn't good enough for a major college, much less anything higher.

Now, I want to continue to do exactly what I'm doing right now.

rhymegirl
05-05-2008, 07:55 PM
I don't ever want to grow up. Period.

Peter Pan???

Jcomp
05-05-2008, 07:56 PM
I wanted to be a pro quarterback, growing up.

Now that I'm grown, I just want to live forever...

LIVIN
05-05-2008, 08:02 PM
I always wanted to be just like Hollis Brown. :D

katiemac
05-05-2008, 08:58 PM
I'm surprised at how FEW of the responses are "writer" considering where we are lol.

That was one reason I wanted to ask the question. I'm curious about the variety, despite the fact everyone here has one basic common goal.

The other reason: quarter-life crisis.

choppersmom
05-05-2008, 09:10 PM
Human cannonball.

CaroGirl
05-05-2008, 09:21 PM
Lumberjack?

quickWit
05-05-2008, 09:22 PM
III.

C.bronco
05-05-2008, 09:28 PM
1. a writer

2. a wealthy writer!

III
05-05-2008, 09:28 PM
III.

You'd better dramatically increase your caloric intake. Bodies don't get this shape by themselves you know.

cray
05-05-2008, 09:32 PM
You'd better dramatically increase your caloric intake. Bodies don't get this shape by themselves you know.

dude you need to report in at the exercise thread so we can all point and laugh encourage you to get back on the program!

czjaba
05-05-2008, 09:46 PM
I wanted to work at McDonald's. Then I wanted to be a Pedestrian. I was 5 and didn't know how to say Pediatrician. Then a teacher for a solid few years. Then, I wanted to be a lawyer, then a psychologist. Oddly enough, my courses in college was nothing but english and history and the mandatory math.

And now, I'm a happily married, self-employed mother of 2. And I ain't growin' up and you cain't make me.
*crosses arms and stomps foot*
So there! :D

ChaosTitan
05-05-2008, 11:26 PM
The other reason: quarter-life crisis.

I've been having my quarter-life crisis for a couple of years now.... :e2hammer:

Anywho....

When I was really little, I wanted to be She-Ra. Then I realized she wasn't real. Took a while to get over that one. :cry:

When I was sort of little, I wanted to be a veterinarian. Then our dog was hit by a car, and I realized they don't get to play with animals all day. Blood and pain and yelping is involved. :e2cry:

When I was more big than little, I wanted to make movie special effects. Digital was in its infancy back then, so it was still all about puppetry and animation and blowing up models. Then I started coming up with my own stories that needed effects. I wrote them down. :e2writer:

The next big dream was being a screenwriter. Now I wanted to be a published novelist. :D

((and this has nothing to do with anything, but my cat has been staring at her litter box for the last five minutes, and it's starting to creep me out...))

robeiae
05-06-2008, 03:22 AM
Bodies don't get this shape by themselves you know.
Playdough factories really are amazing, aren't they?

http://www.iqtoys.co.nz/iqtoys/images/playdohfunfactorys1.gif

Jean Marie
05-06-2008, 04:07 AM
Always wanted to be a photojournalist.

Worked in a photo related field, for years. Photography is a passion of mine as is writing. I've made money w/ photography, hopefully the same will be true w/ writing.

As for growing up, I hear it's not all it's cracked up to be.

choppersmom
05-06-2008, 06:15 AM
Playdough factories really are amazing, aren't they?

http://www.iqtoys.co.nz/iqtoys/images/playdohfunfactorys1.gif

I have a Pla-Doh fun factory/pen on my desk at work. It's a pen on one end, and on the other end, it's a Pla-Doh fun factory. It has two little strips with holes to make different shapes, and it came with a little tub of green Pla-Doh.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/415RGNPXF0L._SS500_.jpg

I just wish I had more time to play with it, and not do stupid work things. I have a little Etch-A-Sketch pen too.

http://us.st11.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.com/I/yhst-54338160255655_2000_62759362

paprikapink
05-06-2008, 06:46 AM
One of my earliest memories (I was barely three) is of bragging to a little group of bigger kids (they were probably five-year-olds) that when I was grown up I was a nurse.

Nurse? How did I even know what a nurse was?