Deep Freeze

Status
Not open for further replies.

sgtsdaughter

Nearing the end of an era
Registered
Reaction score
stuck between Wonder Woman and Lady Columbia
So, I have a serious question for ya'll . . . merely one for my own humor (and sanity).

There's an old adage that any "serious" writer keeps a copy of their WIP in their freezer. Yes, the freezer. It's so if the house burns down you still have your draft. So I am wondering, how many of you practice this custom? And I just realized that a few of you may be frantically printing to get it in the deep freeze--darn that implaced paranoia.

Don't lie . . . I know someone has too--even with a million and one backup systems on computers. And I'll admit that I have my novel and my dissertation in there. My housemates just love the space I consume with non-edibles. he he he :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:

BlueTexas

Back from self-exile land.
Registered
Reaction score
My house burned down once. So did the freezer. They're metal outside, plastic inside. Don't trust plastic.

sgtsdaughter

Registered
Reaction score
sorry to hear that . . . i'm trying to not sound like some punk boob. . .

so i guess that freezer thing could go, but i think that i will leave them in there just to annoy my housemates.

mdin

The late, the great XThe NavigatorX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.mattdinniman.com
I keep a copy on my web server, so if my house burns down, I can always get it later.

paprikapink

Bored fanatic
Registered
Reaction score
Website
paprikapink2.blogspot.com
I think I got this idea from KitKat, it was someone on this board...anyway, I send a copy to one of my gmail accounts. They give you a lot of storage.

-pkpk

Mark Anderson

Registered
Reaction score
I tattoo mine to my skin. When I want to edit them I get a haircut.

Sarita

carpe noctem
Registered
Reaction score
I have a memory stick. After I write for the day, I back it up on the memory stick and carry it with me. It really serves 2 purposes. If I want to write on campus or at work, I always have the files with me and if my computer dies/house burns down/puppy pees on keyboard (RAY!) my WIP is safe and sound.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
I have multiple copies of my WIP on file, memory cards, CD, online storage, you name it. I think it will last way after I do.

Do yourself a favor, go get a fire box, or safe deposit box. Either way, you will sleep better.

Nivvie

Rejections, She Wrote.
Registered
Reaction score
I really should pay attention to this.

I once read through the first draft of a book (typed on an electric typewriter) and in a fit of low-self-esteem-rageful-anxiety-three-o'clock-in-the-morning I threw it out the window.
Problem was I lived on houseboat so it floated off down the river.

I was young and stupid, and although I'll never, ever do that again, I can't help but realise I'm a little dumb for only backing things up the once. Who knows when the house could get toasted?

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Huh?

paprikapink said:
I think I got this idea from KitKat, it was someone on this board...anyway, I send a copy to one of my gmail accounts. They give you a lot of storage.
I feel ignorant, but what's 'gmail'?

I like the idea of cyber-storage. I've just been swapping disks/CDs with my critique group. For all I know, they're keeping mine in their freezers.

Maryn

Azure Skye

Huh?
Registered
Reaction score
I have 50 gmail invites if anyone is interested.

gmail is a mail service offered by Google.

PM me your email address and I will send an invite off to you.

aspier

Banned
Reaction score
I live in my poetry and stories ... sometimes the
Website
users.skynet.be
'academic use'

My my good idea! But I save everything on the net ... all over (a heck to remember all the different codes, etc). I also work on-line. Advantage to that is that everybody can read my files as they progress and they are still safe.

Want to browse them? Here - see URL http://users.skynet.be/spier/download.htm Browse, zip, copy and paste, roll ... even print them and sell the printouts to recuperate the cost. Send them to your friends, girlfriends, lovers, wifes, husbands, the moon or whoosh delete them after you have opened them. Read the disclaimer though first. But then again if you are caught re copyright, just say its for 'academic use'. That always works!

aspier

Sarita

carpe noctem
Registered
Reaction score
Argo, you crack me up!!! Oh, and I want to watch the stars tonight ;)

E.G. Gammon

Registered
Reaction score
The gmail thing is a great idea. And as of a few days ago (gmail's 1-year birthday), you now get "always growing" storage. Check out gmail.com. You'll see the amount of storage they offer. The number is literally growing every second - watch it. They promise infinitely growing storage. If you get an invite, TAKE IT.

sgtsdaughter

Registered
Reaction score
so now i feel rather content knowing i am not the only one to back up projects 50 million times . . . memory wands and emailing saves my sanity--and the freezer, that's just left over from the "dark ages" before computers. i'm still doing it for the looks and stares. it's always a good laugh. :ROFL:

Azure Skye

Huh?
Registered
Reaction score
I've sent out a few invites. If you all don't get them, let me know. I'm assuming it worked since it said, "invite sent." Sometimes, you can never tell with these things.

Kudra

Back and on track
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.TheInternationalFreelancer.com
I'm going to admit it. I was cheap even before the free Gmail accounts came along. I got myself 10 free Yahoo accounts and would send my WIPs to those e-mail addresses.

With Gmail, it's much easier though. Currently, I have 2065 MB of space, and it keeps on growing, as EGGammon mentioned.

If you don't trust free e-mail accounts, you could opt for X-Drives or similar services by providers such as Yahoo. It's basically an online hard drive, which you can rent out for some $5-20 a month depending on the amount of storage you need.

If you have a proper domain registered and are hosting a website, you probably also have a lot of space on your server going to waste. Use that too.

(Can you tell I'm cheap?) ;)

sgtsdaughter

Registered
Reaction score
KitKat said:
I'm going to admit it. I was cheap even before the free Gmail accounts came along. I got myself 10 free Yahoo accounts and would send my WIPs to those e-mail addresses.

(Can you tell I'm cheap?) ;)

not cheap . . . just thrifty. and yes, i spell cheap in a bizarre manner . . . mostly because i'm a dork at spelling. :Sun:

aspier

Banned
Reaction score
I live in my poetry and stories ... sometimes the
Website
users.skynet.be
gmail

'With Gmail, it's much easier though. Currently, I have 2065 MB of space, and it keeps on growing, as EGGammon mentioned' said KitKat.

My g-force, KitKat! My whole 'Complete Works of Argospier' (everything I have written in 50 years) fits onto two floppies! (3 woogy bytes or something total) and you got 2000! Boy, am I proud to have met you, such a Much writer!

Kudra

Back and on track
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.TheInternationalFreelancer.com
aspier said:
My g-force, KitKat! My whole 'Complete Works of Argospier' (everything I have written in 50 years) fits onto two floppies! (3 woogy bytes or something total) and you got 2000! Boy, am I proud to have met you, such a Much writer!

Boy, now I'll have to admit that I'm using only a measly 4% of the actual space, won't I? My complete works live on CDs though. But it's nice to know that when I do have a 2065 MB body of work, I'll have some place to store it. :D

ritinrider

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Ya'll have some good ideas, I have portions of my stuff saved on about 5 (or more) different disks. I really need to consolidate them, or clean the disks off if they're too old. I like the idea of emailing my wip to myself, that way I can access it when I go to school and don't have to remember to take the disk with me.

Gotta tell ya, never heard of putting mss in freezer, just money. Assuming I had any of course.

Nita

Status
Not open for further replies.