What is your opinion of ebook versus print?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hartducha

Registered
Reaction score
I have yet to be published and there seems to be more e publishers out there that are willing to accept unagented authors than there are traditional publishers that will. Traditional publishers seem to be alot more strict in their guidelines but I would rather be accepted by a traditional publisher. I don't know if this is just because I get a book in the end that I can hold and see or what. I don't know if I should just send it to the e book publishers as well. I know that some of them at least will allow me to keep the print rights to it. So I don't know if I should just send it to the e book sites and if I can get them to publish me it may be easier to get a traditional publisher to consider my work. Do you think they will be more willing or do you know if they think of e books as being the same as being previously published in print? Any advice would be great as I try to navigate through all this. I didn't realize how much work it was going to be to get published. The writing is so much easier.

scope

Commonsensical Maverick
Registered
Reaction score
Have you tried to get an agent to represent you?

Have you made any submissions to traditional publishing houses?

IMHO, of course there are always exceptions, if you print your work as an e-book it will be next to impossible to get it placed with a traditional publisher--unless you are that very, very rare exception.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
It depends what book you have and what your goals are. The type of book that does better as an ebook is mainly niche non-fiction, romance and erotica. And that still depends on being accepted by one fo the really top e-presses who are about as selective as a print publisher that would generate the same sales.

Epublishers are generally small presses and small presses are very generally more accessible to new authors. But that in itself is not much of a virtue. The question is what you want for the book (money, sales volume, literary kudos?) and which press that might plausibly accept your work will give you the most of it.

Hartducha

Registered
Reaction score
I have sent my story into traditional publishers though I have to admit it has only been a few times. I know that alot of rejection is expected but it is alot to swallow. My advice to myself is to suck it up and not care. If they don't like it some one will.

No I have not tried to get an agent yet. It is not something I had wanted to do. I was hoping to do it on my own, but I am not sure that is going to happen.

gettingby

Registered
Reaction score
Think about how many ebooks you have bought and read vs. how many actual books. I have never bought or considered buying an ebook. Although I am sure there is a market for ebooks, it is smaller. I would really try traditional publishers first. But even before that, I think you should reconsider getting an agent. With an agent, you will have someone in your corner and better access to publishers. A little warning - good agents are as hard to get as good publishers. Good luck in your search.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
Personally if you books is suitable for the mainstream I suggest trying every mainstream press it suits. You can always try medium and small presses later.

And write another book ;)

nevada

Registered
Reaction score
Why don't you want an agent? As you have found, without an agent it's impossible to get most publishing houses to look at your manuscript. An agent will negotiate your contract, get you the best deal possible, deal with foreign and film rights, guide you with your rewrites, helps you with the next book. So why would you not want one?

Chasing the Horizon

Blowing in the Wind
Registered
Reaction score
There are some large and reputable e-publishers out there that would certainly count as a publishing credit to traditional agents and publishers, and who have a fairly large readership of their own. Some publishers even release their more popular e-books in print (I know Elora's Cave does this). But e-publishing is primarily geared towards romance and erotica (as others have said) and some short or novella length works in other genres (all the large e-publishers I can think of are exclusively romance/romantica/erotica). If you have a full-length novel that isn't romance or erotica, I can't see any of the large e-publishers being interested. You're also talking much less in advance and royalties (a lot of times no advance at all). It is much easier to directly submit to e-publishers than to traditional print publishers, but you have to decide if that's worth taking a great deal less money for your work (you usually won't be able to go with a print publisher later, because they want ALL the rights to your work, not just the print publishing rights). If you do decide to submit to e-book publishers, check them out very thoroughly and make sure they're legitimate and worthwhile.

Status
Not open for further replies.