Ray's House of Love Party

Status
Not open for further replies.

Poppy

Me, myself and I don't know
Registered
Reaction score
Anne, I wonder how close we live to each other? Where exactly in Alabama are you (PM or e-mail me if you don't want to disclose that info online)?

I live about halfway between Laurel and Waynesboro, MS, and I'm about an hour away from the Alabama state line.

Sarita

carpe noctem
Registered
Reaction score
rhymegirl said:
So Sara and Joanne had a get-together? How did that come about? Or is it a secret? Was Ray there too?
No, Ray couldn't make it this time. I was in Pittsburgh to get my hair done. I thought it would be a good chance to meet a new friend. Joanne and I had lunch on Saturday. Great fun! :)

Poppy

Registered
Reaction score
Know what's funny about all the Pennsylvania talk? I have some online friends on another board, and several of them will be getting together in Pittsburgh in a week and a half. They're going to the Pittsburgh Comicon. I'd love to go, but it's not even a remote possibility right now. If I could, it'd be cool though because I could get together with them and with some of you. :)

Sarita

carpe noctem
Registered
Reaction score
Poppy, that would be SO cool. And I know Ray would make the time if you were there ;)

Poppy

Registered
Reaction score
I've never met any of my online friends in person before. Main reason being, they all live too far away. I rarely encounter another Mississippian in my online travels, but I come across folks from Alabama or Louisiana sometimes.

Sarita

carpe noctem
Registered
Reaction score
Good point! Basically, I knew that Joanne and Ray both lived in Pittsburgh. I'm not that far away, only 2 1/2 hours or so and I'm in the city pretty often visiting friends, hair appointments, blah blah blah. When I found out that a friend of mine was moving out west and we were going to Pittsburgh for a few days, I PM'ed the kids to see if they could get together for lunch or coffee. Ray was a bum and couldn't make it, but Joanne and I had a great time. We were both very relieved to find that the other wasn't a 50 year old man with a 200 lb beer gut and a gun. ;) Ahhh, the security of meeting in a VERY public restaurant. :)

I think we'll do it again the next time I'm down that way, it was really fun.

wurdwise

Banned
Reaction score
That is totally cool that you two met! And by the way, it's good to see what people really look like. I have some of me on my computer, but they were all too big to put in my profile. I will get my husband to scan one and make it smaller so I can show myself to you, soon, grasshopper. Not that I'm a movie star or anything, but I know I like to put a face with a name.

Last edited:

jdkiggins

Troubled-Talks with animals.
Registered
Reaction score
The "Dead Zone" in PA. (The state.) All lit up and
Website
home.comcast.net
Yes, we were relieved. When Sara suggested meeting at a coffee shop or restaurant, I knew immediately she was a "she". LOL It also told me that she and I think alike. I make all my first time meeting arrangements in public places. We did have a great time talking.

I think we both would have loved to have more time to spend. The few hours wasn't enough. We probably could have talked for a few days before running out of things to say. :)

Thanks again, Sara, for PMing me to let me know you would be in the area. I haven't been out like that for a long time. I did have a great time.

awatkins

Not harboring illegal parrot
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.geocities.com
poppyhullings said:
Anne, I wonder how close we live to each other? Where exactly in Alabama are you (PM or e-mail me if you don't want to disclose that info online)? I live about halfway between Laurel and Waynesboro, MS, and I'm about an hour away from the Alabama state line.

Hmmm...not sure how far we are from there, but I know that we're only about an hour or so from Belmont. Belmont is sooo tiny but has the coolest old bed and breakfast. It's just over the state line from Alabama. Do you know where that is? I'll have to drag out the maps. :)

Last edited:

Sarita

carpe noctem
Registered
Reaction score
jdkiggins said:
I think we both would have loved to have more time to spend. The few hours wasn't enough. We probably could have talked for a few days before running out of things to say.

I know! My husband called twice and I literally had to pull myself away. We could have talked for hours! Imagine if Ray were there? We'd still be yaking away (as much as he says he can't chat it up like a girl, I know better!)

It was SO great for me to actually speak face to face with another writer. I don't ever get to do that. Thanks, Joanne! :)

Poppy

Registered
Reaction score
I'm 5 1/2 hours or so away from Belmont...a wee bit too far for me to drive (did I mention I hate traveling long distances, especially by myself? LOL).

But if I am ever in (or going through) your area in the future, I'll let you know, and you could do the same. :)

awatkins

Not harboring illegal parrot
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.geocities.com
poppyhullings said:
I'm 5 1/2 hours or so away from Belmont...a wee bit too far for me to drive (did I mention I hate traveling long distances, especially by myself? LOL).

But if I am ever in (or going through) your area in the future, I'll let you know, and you could do the same. :)

I'll surely let you know. We used to travel a lot with my husband's work but he pretty much stays put now that he's teaching full time.

I don't drive long distances by myself either! :) But if we ever head out that way, I'll let you know!

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Saritams8 said:
Good point! Basically, I knew that Joanne and Ray both lived in Pittsburgh. I'm not that far away, only 2 1/2 hours or so and I'm in the city pretty often visiting friends, hair appointments, blah blah blah. When I found out that a friend of mine was moving out west and we were going to Pittsburgh for a few days, I PM'ed the kids to see if they could get together for lunch or coffee. Ray was a bum and couldn't make it, but Joanne and I had a great time. We were both very relieved to find that the other wasn't a 50 year old man with a 200 lb beer gut and a gun. ;) Ahhh, the security of meeting in a VERY public restaurant. :)

I think we'll do it again the next time I'm down that way, it was really fun.

Good think I didn't show then. I am a 50yo man with 200lb beer gut (more to love, baby) and a gun.

TemlynWriting

The Tony Award-winning
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.temlynwriting.com
poppyhullings said:
I've never met any of my online friends in person before. Main reason being, they all live too far away. I rarely encounter another Mississippian in my online travels, but I come across folks from Alabama or Louisiana sometimes.

Really, Poppy? Meeting can be so much fun! In fact, my husband and I met online! :) Long story, but we were friends for several years, and then fell in love.

We used to be moderators for am IRC chatroom, and had yearly chatter get-togethers where people would fly in from all over the country. A few of our chatter friends were also in our wedding party.

A few Houstonian writers I know from various boards are all planning to get together for coffee later this month, and I am so excited!

Sara and Joanne, sounds like you two had fun! Wish I could have been there! :)

Sarita

carpe noctem
Registered
Reaction score
maestrowork said:
Good thing I didn't show then. I am a 50yo man with 200lb beer gut (more to love, baby) and a gun.
Aww, Ray! Don't go dashing our hopes like that! We're all thinking about those adorable dimples, you can't just put a 200lb, gun toting, beer gut into the mix!

rhymegirl

It's a New Year!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sara, your new picture reminds me of Renee Zellweger with her new brown hair look.

Poppy

Registered
Reaction score
TemlynWriting said:
Really, Poppy? Meeting can be so much fun! In fact, my husband and I met online! :) Long story, but we were friends for several years, and then fell in love.

We used to be moderators for am IRC chatroom, and had yearly chatter get-togethers where people would fly in from all over the country. A few of our chatter friends were also in our wedding party.

A few Houstonian writers I know from various boards are all planning to get together for coffee later this month, and I am so excited!

Sara and Joanne, sounds like you two had fun! Wish I could have been there! :)

Yes, really. I'm almost always the ONLY MISSISSIPPIAN on any message board where I become a member. I've never crossed paths with anyone online who lived reasonably close enough for me to meet them.

Oh well, y'all ain't missin' nuttin'. :)

Sarita

carpe noctem
Registered
Reaction score
rhymegirl said:
Sara, your new picture reminds me of Renee Zellweger with her new brown hair look.
Really? Thanks, Kate. You're TOO sweet!

Status
Not open for further replies.