Ray's House of Love Party

Status
Not open for further replies.

rhymegirl

It's a New Year!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Does Zach speak Chinese for real? Or does he only know swear words?

trumancoyote

My Name is Sweet Thing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.janetismeantome.com
It's 'Wo ai ni' -- that exchange between Ray and me, talking about 'zuo'-ing some 'ai'... well, it's the same ai, meaning love. Zuo, on the other hand, means 'to make' or 'to do.'

And Ray, my friend Janet told me her husband's philosophy about marriage and relationships the other day: I'll give you as much rope in our relationship as you need; it's up to you whether you hang yourself with it or not.

I haven't hung myself just yet.

Let's zuo some ai.

Last edited:

rhymegirl

It's a New Year!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
mommie4a said:
I can't remember! That's my 42 year old memory. You'd think I would have jotted it down in one of the three notebooks i carry with me.

Yes, you should have written it down. My husband can't remember anything either. And I'm older than he is.

trumancoyote

My Name is Sweet Thing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.janetismeantome.com
rhymegirl said:
Does Zach speak Chinese for real? Or does he only know swear words?

I've only studied it for two years -- going to Beijing on the 28th to study it for two months.

My major is Japanese, which I've studied for almost 7 years; it helps w/ the Chinese.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Definitely, I can read up to 60% Japanese if they write in Kanji... but if they write the alphabets... I'm all lost (can't speak any Japanese, however).

trumancoyote

My Name is Sweet Thing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.janetismeantome.com
The only problem is that, in some cases, the Japanese haved tweaked the meaning of the characters.

I'm actually a lot better at reading and understanding Chinese than I am Japanese. I think it has to do w/ the similarity between Chinese and English syntax.

rhymegirl

It's a New Year!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
trumancoyote said:
I've only studied it for two years -- going to Beijing on the 28th to study it for two months.

My major is Japanese, which I've studied for almost 7 years; it helps w/ the Chinese.

Interesting. My daughter loves languages and knows some Japanese.

It's funny though because today I was talking to my son about his Spanish class and he was telling me the swear words he can say in Spanish. That's the stuff they remember.

trumancoyote

My Name is Sweet Thing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.janetismeantome.com
Because swear words are the most useful :) And they give you the feeling of doing as the Romans do, so to speak: that you're a part of the culture because you're using something so intimately related to their usual forms of expression.

Japanese swear words are boring, though. They're normal words --almost clinical-- but said w/ a nasty inflection.

mommie4a

Mother of All Addictions
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jillmillerzimon.com
trumancoyote said:
Because swear words are the most useful :) And they give you the feeling of doing as the Romans do, so to speak: that you're a part of the culture because you're using something so intimately related to their usual forms of expression.

Japanese swear words are boring, though. They're normal words --almost clinical-- but said w/ a nasty inflection.

You know, I knew I shouldn't have gone to a Catholic school to learn Chinese - they must've made the profs sign contracts that forbade teaching swear words.

Thanks for the pic adjustment, btw, Zach.

rhymegirl

It's a New Year!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Why don't you use some in your Idol entry? No one will know what they mean. How's your story coming along, Zach?

trumancoyote

My Name is Sweet Thing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.janetismeantome.com
It's almost done. Finished it last night, but I'm cutting it to **** today.

I used some Chinese in my Eunuch story. I was tempted to use more in later stories, but I don't want to be a one-trick monkey.

No problem on the pic adjustment, Hot Momma. I didn't mean to be so snappy about it; I just wanted to see your face for all it was worth.

A Jew in Catholic school?
Write a story, please.

mommie4a

Mother of All Addictions
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jillmillerzimon.com
trumancoyote said:
A Jew in Catholic school?
Write a story, please.

I set both JFF entry #30 and #55. But, you know, they aren't Idol finalist quality posts, to be fair.

I actually have been working on a book about Jews and Georgetown for a couple of years now - part memoir, part history. If you've heard of Dan Oren's Joining the Club about Jews and Yale, it's kinda sorta along those lines, but not really.

rhymegirl

It's a New Year!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
So Zach "wo ai ni" means I love you? How do you pronounce the words?

trumancoyote

My Name is Sweet Thing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.janetismeantome.com
mommie4a said:
I set both JFF entry #30 and #55. But, you know, they aren't Idol finalist quality posts, to be fair.

I actually have been working on a book about Jews and Georgetown for a couple of years now - part memoir, part history. If you've heard of Dan Oren's Joining the Club about Jews and Yale, it's kinda sorta along those lines, but not really.

I'd read number 30, but I just now read number 55 for the first time! You accomplish so much in such a short amount of words, Jill. I liked it :) And they were both by far a lot more clean than any entry I've ever submitted.

Yes, I'm a student at ASU.

And Rhymenstein, it's kinda pronounced "whoa eye knee"... like, if you were expressing surprise at finding an eyeball on someone's knee. Heheh.

trumancoyote

My Name is Sweet Thing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.janetismeantome.com
Ray's 'wall' explanation of the pronounciation of 'wo' is a lot better than mine.

Listen to him.

Now, Ray... how do we explain tones over the 'net? Heheh.

logo.jpg

Last edited:

mommie4a

Mother of All Addictions
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jillmillerzimon.com
trumancoyote said:
Really? :D Where/when can I find it? And what's it about?

The world is too small :)
Don't know - they're just buying it and holding it until they're ready to use it. It will be about an alumna ('79 - journalism - worked at the AZ Republic, then the Pasadena Sun, then the Orange County Register before switching to cartooning)who's one of a only a handful of female syndicated cartoonists in the world.

Status
Not open for further replies.