Has anyone else felt this way?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moon Wolf

Wow... this'll be an interesting discussion. Okay, so, most of you on here are writers, right? I was wondering if anyone else has ever felt this way... it's really hard to explain, but I'll give it a go.

Strange things seem to happen when I'm reading a book for the first time. It doesn't really matter who it's by, what it's about, or whether I like it or not -- things just seem to happen. Every single time. But only the first time; reading the book again -- twice, three times, even just re-reading a sentence or a paragraph -- the effect that was just on me is lost, and it's just reality and myself. But it's the first time that scares me a little.

Take, for example, today -- I was reading a Stephen King novel for the first time, when I reached a break in the story. I decided I'd take a break, put the bookmark in the book, and shut it. The aftermath was immediate, but swift; for 10-20 seconds (if even that much) I wasn't even in my own mind anymore. I couldn't tell you what I truly mean by that even if I wanted to. The words would've come and gone before I'd even hit the key on the keyboard. It doesn't just happen with novels, either; it could be a paragraph from a history book, or a story in the literature book. They always have the same effect.

For that short space of time, there are three parts to my mind. One part is the mechanical: keep walking, don't have your mouth hanging open like that, they'll think something's wrong, unglaze your eyes, breathe. Things essential to blend into society, to act normally, the things you sometimes need to think about. It tries to bring you into the present. Another part is the writer's side of my brain; frantically stringing words, sentences, paragraphs, with raw emotion so strong you're almost brought to a stand-still with the mechanical part. Characters scream and burn, lovers love and die... the sort of thing that most serious writers subconsciously think about, then when it's brought to the surface you're mildly surprised.

The final part is the anomaly; I've absolutely no idea what it does. I know it's there; it's the reason the mechanical and the writing parts are trying so hard to do what they do. It blocks me from having any coherent thoughts at all about what's going on; the mechanical and writing sides end up meshing and become entangled, forcing two lines of thought at the same time that may continue onward for up to 10 minutes after the originally effect. . . as aftershocks. The third train of thought is there, I know it is, but I can't make out what it's trying to say. There's probably a word for it, but I certainly have no idea. It's like an old friend is standing with open arms on the other side of the room but you can't reach him because there's an almost opaque wall between you.

The problem is, when I've got enough of myself together that I can try to think about it, it slips away. Either I can't seem to focus on what's going on because the mechanical and writing sides are agruing too much, or just because it won't stay put long enough for me to grab it. It's like snapping your fingers; the sound is gone before you can truly grasp what it sounded like. You can snap your fingers again, or think back on it, but it's not the same.

It only happens that once, and only when un-submerging myself from a book, or anything that requires a lot of focus, really. Just the first time. It's uncomfortable feeling, but not, it's a warm feeling, but not. I don't know what to make of it, and I probably won't for several years to come, but still. It's almost like I've got two people living in my head -- me, and this unidentable presense that likes to confuse me.

Aaaaaahh... my brain's beginning to hurt. So, let's discuss -- have you ever felt this way? Are there technical terms for it?
(*cough* psycho *cough*)

steveg144

Crusty Polemicist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
CrustyPolemicist.blogspot.com
In the software-development industry, we programmer types informally refer to it as "context-switching." When you're in "the zone," living inside the piece of software you're writing, you're deeply immersed in that context. When you emerge (whether voluntarily, because it's time to go home, or involuntarily, because someone popped into your cube and interrupted you), you're forced to do a "context switch" to come back to human reality. I often describe the sensation as "rebooting my personality." I'll often have colleagues pop in when I'm in the zone, and I'll tell them "gimmee a sec here, I need to reboot my personality"; once my personality has "loaded" then we can talk like humans. If they don't wait, then conversation and communication can be ... difficult. The good thing is, my colleagues are all programmers or former programmers, so they understand. ;)

Exir

Out of the cradle endlessly rocking
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, it happens all the time to me.

I have to force myself to realize that I'm not 10 year old Ben Selden anymore, but Exir, and that I really DO have parents and sisters.

icerose

Lost in School Work
Registered
Reaction score
I do have to remind myself not to act out parts and conversations in my WIP when other people are around. I get the strangest looks when I start conversing with myself about the attacks on the outer villages and such. I can't imagine why...

Inky

Eat, Sleep, Write...
Registered
Reaction score
Mine is when the villian finally gets his, and I rocket launch from the chair, fisting the air 'YES!' that makes the librarian get a bit testy with me.
No humor, that one.
The more I try & s'plain, the more she scowls. Just once, I wish for the courage to put jalepenos in her Jello!

SPMiller

Prodigiously Hanged
Registered
Reaction score
Website
seanpatrickmiller.com
In the software-development industry, we programmer types informally refer to it as "context-switching." When you're in "the zone," living inside the piece of software you're writing, you're deeply immersed in that context. When you emerge (whether voluntarily, because it's time to go home, or involuntarily, because someone popped into your cube and interrupted you), you're forced to do a "context switch" to come back to human reality. I often describe the sensation as "rebooting my personality." I'll often have colleagues pop in when I'm in the zone, and I'll tell them "gimmee a sec here, I need to reboot my personality"; once my personality has "loaded" then we can talk like humans. If they don't wait, then conversation and communication can be ... difficult. The good thing is, my colleagues are all programmers or former programmers, so they understand. ;)
Huh, and here I thought a context switch is when the CPU saves state so it can change to a different thread. Silly me.

SPMiller, who never managed to reboot his personality...

Phaeal

Whatever I did, I didn't do it.
Registered
Reaction score
When I'm deep in my writing, even a centipede running across my desk can't stop me, and I'm totally phobic about them. I'll just whisk the critter off and keep going.

Now THAT'S a disconnect from reality. :D

slcboston

Pasture-ized
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I've had books scare me, and put me on edge, sufficient to carry the anxiety over into the *real* world. These are the times I go around double checking the locks on the doors and such.

But it's only the really scary ones that get me. I like history and such, but when the book gets put down I'm much more firmly *here.*

Dale Emery

is way off topic
Registered
Reaction score
Website
dalehartleyemery.com
So, let's discuss -- have you ever felt this way? Are there technical terms for it?

I think of it as context switching. I don't know if there's another term for that.

But there are terms for the state that you are in while reading. Flow is one term. Reader's trance is another.

Dale

Moon Wolf

Well, I think it's probably the context thing. ^^ I never really feel that way while I'm reading, only after I pull out of the story for a break.

geardrops

Good thing I like my day job
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.geardrops.net
Thanks for the whole "context-switching" thing, steveg144. Until that explanation I was lost.

But yeah. Programmer. Writer. Get it all the time :)

WittyandorIronic

Registered
Reaction score
Hmmm... not exactly the same but I do know what you mean about the frustration of knowing you had a REALLY great, monumental, WIP saving thought and then not being able to hold on to all of it. That moment is usually acted out as such:
Me: "Oh my god. Oh my god. Oh my god."
Hubby: "What,what,what? Are you okay?"
Me, running around looking for a pen and paper before I just use the wall: "Shut up! Shut up! Oh my god, don't talk to me! Put the TV on mute! Shut up!"
Hubby: "WTF is wrong with you?!?!"
Me: "Shut up!" Scribble. "Please, just one second." Scribble. "Nooooooooo!!! it's gone!"
Hubby: "You need serious help."
Me: "Sorry...just had to get that idea down. I luuuurrvve you." :)
The end.
(I have no idea why my husband puts up with me, btw)

Sassee

Momma Wolf
Registered
Reaction score
Website
sasseebioche.blogspot.com
Ahh, yes, the "in the zone" thing. I hate it and love it all at the same time. Sometimes I realize I'm doing it and sometimes I don't. The times I don't realize I'm doing it there's usually someone trying to talk to me and I've missed their last five to fifteen sentences directed at me. (my poor husband... lol)

Difference here is that it happens randomly with any piece of writing I'm really focused on, whether or not I've read it before. My measure of a good book is whether or not this happens while reading it. The "context switching" thing makes sense, thanks for the term! Kind of odd that we can tell when our personalities are "switched off", innit?

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
Honestly, I don't know.

Its been so long since I've had the opportunity for enough "alone time" to become that involved in a story.

Usually, I'm interupted every few sentences. Hard to experience any sort of context switching in that case.

MelodyO

Waiting for love on the web
Registered
Reaction score
Hey, that happens to me, too! More-so with movies, but not TV (possibly because the ads don't let you get in too deep). I actually find it hard to drive home from the movies as I'm expecting the plot to continue in RL, or else I feel like my life is suddenly a movie. Hard to explain, but I'm glad I'm not the only one who experiences this.

Can't wait to drive home from Iron Man. :D

Moon Wolf

Hey, that happens to me, too! More-so with movies, but not TV (possibly because the ads don't let you get in too deep). I actually find it hard to drive home from the movies as I'm expecting the plot to continue in RL, or else I feel like my life is suddenly a movie. Hard to explain, but I'm glad I'm not the only one who experiences this.

Can't wait to drive home from Iron Man. :D
I can feel your pain. ^^ Every time I watch a movie OR T.V. show, I have to pause every few minutes just to think of my version of the movie. What if this dude did this...?

Yeah, doesn't work in theaters or watching movies with friends/parents, so I must content myself with memorizing everything in the movie so's I can relive it later...

Jackfishwoman

Registered
Reaction score
Wandering between Mexico and the Arctic Circle
Website
www.myspace.com
When I read a book that deeply touches or disturbs me, I can conjure the feeling again (even years later) just by recalling the emotional response.
I try to write this way too. I try to give the reader something that will resonate far beyond the words they read on the page and people have told me that they cannot get the book or story or certain scenes out of their minds, so much so that it becomes a part of their daily life.
I love it when the line between fiction and reality is so blurred, you cannot see where it begins or ends.

Status
Not open for further replies.