Oh Crap - URGENT!!!

Tburger

Wahoowa
Registered
Reaction score
Website
tcmccarthy.com
I just got a request for a partial and I am in the middle of a total revision of my manuscript. This is a good problem (I guess) but can someone tell me the proper etiquette here? The portion of my manuscript that I would send is fine - revisions complete - but what if (and it's a big what if) they request the full? I have nine more chapters that I want to re-work!!!!

I mean MAJOR revision - like rewriting entire sections after having it Beta read. I didn't expect to get any more responses to my queries, this one just kind of came in after I gave up!!!

kristie911

Happy to be here
Registered
Reaction score
You send the partial if it's ready and then get your ass in gear in case they request the full. Generally you'll have a fair amount of time.

You do have a little bit of leeway here...wait a week or 10 days to send the partial. And hopefully the won't read it the second the receive it and you'll get a couple more weeks or maybe a month before they request the full. Then you'll have another week to send that back.

Good luck!

scope

Commonsensical Maverick
Registered
Reaction score
Ditto to what kristie 911 says.

IceCreamEmpress

Hapless Virago
Registered
Reaction score
It will take at least two weeks, absolute minimum, to get through your partial. And it may well be more like two months.

Tburger

Wahoowa
Registered
Reaction score
Website
tcmccarthy.com
Phew!!! Awesome and thanks you guys. I'll be blunt: the outcome here is going probably going to be disappointing - just looking at statistics. In the meantime though, getting a partial request is like having a lottery ticket in which the first three numbers hit!!! :) Now I have to wait for the next three numbers...

RLB

bundled
Registered
Reaction score
I feel your pain, but ditto what everyone else says. I waited a week or so to send the partial (and it had been pretty much ready to go) and then worked like crazy on my rewrites for the rest of the book. Unfortunately, the agent passed on the partial, but I did have a new, shiny manuscript by the time I got that news!