• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

Author vs Writer

Status
Not open for further replies.

C.M. Daniels

Cinnamon, sit. Bad fish!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.opendiary.com
This may sound like a dumb question, but what's the difference between them?

I've been published, so does that thrust me over some strange professional line in the sand? I always tell people that I'm a writer and that I've gotten some short stories published.

So, what's your opinion?

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
I've always thought that perhaps a writer should become an author when published -- a qualification badge, as it were.

But the dictionary doesn't really differentiate between writer and author, they're both writers.

-Derek

CACTUSWENDY

An old, sappy, and happy one.
Kind Benefactor
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
You are a writer.
You are the author of _______________.

That is my 2 cents.

WriteKnight

Arranger Of Disorder
Registered
Reaction score
30,000 light years from Galactic Central Point.
"How many writers can dance on the jot of a courrier font 'i'?"

Usage as suggested, helps to deliniate why one word is chosen over another. I submit that the Copyright Office defines the "Author" of the work as the one who originates it. So in films, the Production company is considered the "Author" of the film, rather than the Screenwriter or the Director.

Not all "Authors" are writers in the strictest sense of the word.

In common usage, most people will use the word "Author" when speaking of someone who has written a published work.

Don't lose any sleep over it.

dawinsor

Dorothy A. Winsor
VPXI
Registered
Reaction score
There's speculation about the term "author" in literary theory and the tentative conclusion is that it's an honorific, a term we apply to the writers of texts we classify in some special way. So bill boards have writers but we don't usually call them authors. In other words, it's a cultural judgment, and one that's probably questionable.

ResearchGuy

Resident Curmudgeon
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.umbachconsulting.com
. . .

So, what's your opinion?
My view, FWIW, is that writer is an occupation and author is a status.

Lots of folks get credit as authors without having written what they are credited with. That happens a lot with legislation, where the "author" is more of a sponsor, but usually not the person who actually wrote the words. It also happens when books are ghost-written. The celebrity-author or business executive often has not written the book. A writer did that.

As an occupation, the term is writer. One can write for a living or as a profession. But for writers whose work has been published, the status of author is entirely appropriate.

You get your books or articles published and you are entitled to describe yourself as an author.

--Ken

BarbJ

Registered
Reaction score
I have a habit of perusing the Publish America board, where the members are never mere writers but invariably "published authors". I haven't been able to look at the word "author" the same way since; it now sounds pretentious to me - which is a shame, because it's a good word. Still, being a writer is a very good thing.

I've always felt an author is a known writer, whether novel, non-fic, shorts or articles. That's just a personal thing; they're interchangeable depending on your own quirks.

C.M. Daniels

Cinnamon, sit. Bad fish!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.opendiary.com
I have a habit of perusing the Publish America board, where the members are never mere writers but invariably "published authors". I haven't been able to look at the word "author" the same way since; it now sounds pretentious to me - which is a shame, because it's a good word. Still, being a writer is a very good thing.

I don't even think about PA's "23,999,837,874[SUP]3[/SUP] happy authors".

You're right, a lot of them do come off as snots.

I think I'm just going to keep telling people that I'm a writer with some published stories. It feels right for me.

jannawrites

no, really
Registered
Reaction score
I don't even think about PA's "23,999,837,874[sup]3[/sup] happy authors".

You're right, a lot of them do come off as snots.

I think I'm just going to keep telling people that I'm a writer with some published stories. It feels right for me.

And there you have it. :)

Love that 3rd power you added up there! lol

Mayntz

Registered
Reaction score
Honestly, it's up to however you want to define the differences, if any. For me, I consider an "author" to be associated with books, whereas a "writer" is associated with articles, but everyone who puts pen to paper may have different ideas.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
You're a writer because you write. You're an author of something that people actually read. That's my definition.

You can be a writer on a TV show, for example, but you can't call yourself an author. You may have authored a book, but you don't have to have "written" it yourself. Does it make sense?

mscelina

Teh doommobile, drivin' rite by you
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Going shopping with Soccer Mom and Bubastes for fu
I write. I don't auth.

If what I've written is good, other people can call me an author. It's not a title I give myself--mostly because I don't think it makes a bit of difference.

inkkognito

Onlyifyouwanttowillyoufin daway-Enya
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.barbnefer.com
Darn...when I saw the thread title, I thought it was a link to an MTV Celebrity Death Match on Youtube to answer the age-old question once and for all.

Jersey Chick

Up all night to get Loki
Registered
Reaction score
in the state of carefully controlled chaos
Website
www.kimberlynee.com
I'm a writer. Author just sounds too... out there... for me.

Writer is good - it's kind of gritty, with visions of smoke-choked studies and a rickety old typewriter, and me - huddled behind it like some sort of little troll, tapping away at the keys while the stack of wrinkled typing paper grows and the floor is littered with crushed up wads of paper because there's no backspace key and I'm a lousy typist...

Yeah - I'm a writer.

ResearchGuy

Resident Curmudgeon
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.umbachconsulting.com
Honestly, it's up to however you want to define the differences, if any. For me, I consider an "author" to be associated with books, whereas a "writer" is associated with articles, but everyone who puts pen to paper may have different ideas.
That might be why some folks put "Author" on their business cards -- because they see themselves as writers of books, and they share your interpretation. Books have authors, and authors write books.

My (limited, direct) observations mostly suggest that people who describe themselves as "authors" want the status but do not necessarily want the hard slogging of writing as an occupation, or might settle for one (perhaps self-published or badly published) book to establish that status once and for all. But writers keep on writing.

--Ken

Priene

Out to lunch
Registered
Reaction score
Author wins it by 1.05 billion to 191 million.

MDSchafer

Banned
Reaction score
Website
firstfolio.blogspot.com
There's that great quote from Mickey Spilliane where he forcefully tells this interviewer that he is not an "Author," in his opinion authors were college professors who wrote literary novels they hoped would gain academic popularity after their death. He was a writer, he gets paid for his work.

C.M. Daniels

Cinnamon, sit. Bad fish!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.opendiary.com
There's that great quote from Mickey Spilliane where he forcefully tells this interviewer that he is not an "Author," in his opinion authors were college professors who wrote literary novels they hoped would gain academic popularity after their death. He was a writer, he gets paid for his work.

I like that.

MDSchafer

Banned
Reaction score
Website
firstfolio.blogspot.com
I don't. That quote is not so subtle in its "jab" at the academic types who "wrote literary novels they hoped would gain academic popularity after their death." That's not very respectful.

It's not very respectful, but that type of writer is out there. I think Author is an appropriate term for that kind of writer who isn't looking at commercial success, but rather a creative and academic success.

I recently looked at getting a Masters in Professional Writing at a fairly respected university and I was told quiet flatly, that there would be little I could learn if I wanted help writing commercial fiction because they don't understand how to do that. I looked at the books they've published and most of them were academic, literary fiction published by university presses and likely sold less than 2,000 copies.

ResearchGuy

Resident Curmudgeon
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.umbachconsulting.com
I like that.
Nonetheless, Mickey Spillane was the author of scores (hundreds?) of novels. As a writer, he wrote them. He was their author. We just don't ordinarily express it as, "Spillane was the writer of countless popular novels." No, notwithstanding that the statement is true. It is simply not correct (that is, generally accepted and preferred) idiomatic usage. The word there is "author." But he wrote them--he did not "author" them. (No one, I think, would quibble with "Spillane wrote countless popular novels.")

Where matters become more difficult is the self-description as "author" vs. "writer." And that gets back to status vs. occupation. Which does the speaker wish to emphasize, status or occupation?

But there is no clear line. Consider T. E. (Tom) Watson, whose business cards describe him as "Children's Author T. E. Watson." Yes, he writes the books (a lot of them, legitimately published), and makes a living from his books and related activities. But somehow, "Children's Writer" does not sound right, and he wishes to allude to the fact that many of his books have been published and that is his profession (personal appearances as author being part of the whole picture). On the other hand, I know some folks who put "Author" on their business cards while either being aspiring (unpublished) writers or having a very limited (micro-press, one or two books) record. The word there seems pretentious, or at least premature.

My views, FWIW.

--Ken

Status
Not open for further replies.