Need help wording a sentence

Status
Not open for further replies.

Keyboard Hound

Old kid. Tough skin!!
Registered
Reaction score
[FONT=&quot]An editor just sent me an edited copy of an article. I'm not thrilled with the sentence below and wonder how it could be made better. Or if I should not say anything and accept the changes they've made. I don't want to bring disagreement that would hurt chances of getting this published. The "it" is a tiny kitten.

Then it slipped down my chest into a position in which it could look up into my eyes, screaming the entire time.

I'm thinking this might be better: Then it slipped down my chest into position to look up into my eyes, screaming the entire time.

[/FONT]

Trish

Registered
Reaction score
Website
childrens-books-author-p-puddle.com
Keyboard Hound, as you know, I'm no expert, but as a reader, the first one reads better.

I't's a powerful sentence.

This sentence brought back bad memories for me. That's how my little guinea pig Teddy, died.

Appalachian Writer

Somewhere in the hills....
Registered
Reaction score
The "in which" in the first sentence makes it seem stilted to me. I believe in simplicity. I might suggest something like this: Then it slipped down my chest and looked up into my eyes, screaming the entire time.

If it's looking into your eyes, the reader can assume it's managed to find a position that allows that to happen. Another possibility, more powerful (I think). Then it slipped down my chest and looked up, screaming.

I don't think it would hurt to ask the editor if she thought your revision might work better. It's one sentence and the piece still belongs to you.

Keyboard Hound

Old kid. Tough skin!!
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks Trish and Appy. I think I'm going to ask for a change.

Keyboard

Trish

Registered
Reaction score
Website
childrens-books-author-p-puddle.com
This version is definitely better.

The "in which" in the first sentence makes it seem stilted to me. I believe in simplicity. I might suggest something like this: Then it slipped down my chest and looked up into my eyes, screaming the entire time.
by Appalachian.

Keyboard Hound

Old kid. Tough skin!!
Registered
Reaction score
I like Appalachian's suggestion, too. I asked for a change to it. Thanks, all.

Status
Not open for further replies.