A different sort of self-publishing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bygosh

Registered
Reaction score
I've often thought about taking the various novels that I've written, purchasing a web domain, and posting them there, as opposed to, or perhaps in conjunction with, traditional publishing.

I did purchase a domain and used my very, very amateurish HTML skills to vaguely create something regarding a web page, uploaded two of my novels with a fancy, *free* flash program that simulates the turning of pages, and am actually kind of proud of myself for getting it all to work.

My question, I supppose, would be: is doing all this and trying to advertise this web site a valid form of getting my work out to an audience? Or should I stick to the trial and error of trying to get a literary agent or a publisher to take a look at my manuscripts?

Thanks for any ideas or advice.

-Michael

soma

Registered
Reaction score
Website
tinianow.blogspot.com
is doing al this and trying to advertise this web site a valid form of getting my work out to an audience?
Yes.

Or should I stick to the trial and error of trying to get a literary agent or publisher to take a look at my manuscripts?
Probably. While setting the novels up on the web yourself is certainly a valid form of publication, and while you certainly can get them out to an audience that way, chances are slim that you'll reach the level of exposure you would get from a professionally published and marketed book.

Of course, this also depends on what you write and what your goals are. It's hard to say what the better option would be with 100% certainty without being clear on that.

Will Lavender

Everything is what it seems.
Registered
Reaction score
I guess you would have to define what "valid" means to you. If you're just interested in a few people reading your work, then it's valid. But if you want a lot of people to see your work -- and of course if you want to be paid -- then it's a long way from validity.

And it's really not "different." This been done by thousands of others before you.

And if you aren't known, then the same rules apply as with "traditional publishing." You're going to find it extremely hard to lure readers to your work. (And harder, probably: most publishers, even small ones, do some sort of publicity. Tough for the author himself to generate publicity for his own product, especially in cyberspace.)

Status
Not open for further replies.