• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

How to indicate/format sections in novel manuscript

Status
Not open for further replies.

mirrorkisses

Registered
Reaction score
I am placing my novel into four sections: June, July, August, then March (yes, the next year).

How would I format this on a manuscript? Would I give the month their own page, like they do in novels, or would I write it above the beginning chapter of that month?

mirrorkisses

Registered
Reaction score
No, it's just like "part 1," etc., except it's labeled as months. No days or such.

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm currently working on a novel that covers the span of a calendar year, from January to December, and each chapter is a month, the name of the chapter the name of that particular month. You can name the chapters whatever you need to.

mirrorkisses

Registered
Reaction score
It's not chapter names, it's parts. Chapter one is named chapter one.

scope

Commonsensical Maverick
Registered
Reaction score
I wouldn't worry about it. Either way works, although the publisher may make changes. Personally, in a case such as yours, I'd prefer each chapter line (the month) on its own separate page preceding the text. To me it connotes a new, exciting beginning which I as a reader am about to embark on. But, that's me.

jannawrites

no, really
Registered
Reaction score
I agree with scope. As a reader, I'd like to see the month listed on its own page, thereby creating a divider between parts. That's how I've always seen it done. But then, too, the final decision would be made by your editor/publisher, so don't feel like you have to put too much thought or effort into it.

:)

BarbJ

Registered
Reaction score
I third this. The titles of sections that contain several chapters should be on a separate page. But it may be changed. Of course, that would mean your books being published; no problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.