PDA

View Full Version : How to indicate/format sections in novel manuscript

mirrorkisses
05-04-2008, 01:00 AM
I am placing my novel into four sections: June, July, August, then March (yes, the next year).

How would I format this on a manuscript? Would I give the month their own page, like they do in novels, or would I write it above the beginning chapter of that month?

Matera the Mad
05-04-2008, 03:29 AM
Are you visualizing a calendar page or what?

mirrorkisses
05-04-2008, 03:58 AM
No, it's just like "part 1," etc., except it's labeled as months. No days or such.

BenPanced
05-04-2008, 04:42 AM
I'm currently working on a novel that covers the span of a calendar year, from January to December, and each chapter is a month, the name of the chapter the name of that particular month. You can name the chapters whatever you need to.

mirrorkisses
05-04-2008, 04:46 AM
It's not chapter names, it's parts. Chapter one is named chapter one.

scope
05-04-2008, 05:44 AM
I wouldn't worry about it. Either way works, although the publisher may make changes. Personally, in a case such as yours, I'd prefer each chapter line (the month) on its own separate page preceding the text. To me it connotes a new, exciting beginning which I as a reader am about to embark on. But, that's me.

jannawrites
05-05-2008, 12:35 AM
I agree with scope. As a reader, I'd like to see the month listed on its own page, thereby creating a divider between parts. That's how I've always seen it done. But then, too, the final decision would be made by your editor/publisher, so don't feel like you have to put too much thought or effort into it.

:)

BarbJ
05-05-2008, 04:28 AM
I third this. The titles of sections that contain several chapters should be on a separate page. But it may be changed. Of course, that would mean your books being published; no problem.