PDA

View Full Version : Weird things that were true

TwentyFour
05-03-2008, 11:29 PM
Edited by poster

akiwiguy
05-04-2008, 12:10 AM
I wonder what the rational explanation would be if there is one? Such things fascinate me.

For example there is I believe a quite convincing theory that many legends of werewolves etc may have come about when whole villages ate bread made from mouldy, ergot-contaminated wheat. Also known as LSD. I have always wondered if being entertained by the visiting troupe of minstrels or whatever was as exciting as listening to Pink Floyd at such times.

None of which has anything to do with cucumbers, so I shall depart.

waylander
05-04-2008, 12:22 AM
NOT THE SAME AS LSD!

What you're refering to was caused by the presence of ergotamine alkoids produced by moulds on the bread (principally rye).
LSD is a synthetic derived from ergotamine which is not present in the moulds and is a log order more potent that the natural products.

William Haskins
05-04-2008, 12:31 AM
this is a myth. furthermore it is a sexist one. "menstrual blood killing crops" was a convenient way to banish women from the community, sometimes in so-called "menstrual huts" for the duration of their periods.

akiwiguy
05-04-2008, 12:39 AM
NOT THE SAME AS LSD!

What you're refering to was caused by the presence of ergotamine alkoids produced by moulds on the bread (principally rye).
LSD is a synthetic derived from ergotamine which is not present in the moulds and is a log order more potent that the natural products.

I stand corrected. Anyway, never did find moldy bread very good.

I'm with William H on this one.

WendyNYC
05-04-2008, 12:51 AM
this is a myth. furthermore it is a sexist one. "menstrual blood killing crops" was a convenient way to banish women from the community, sometimes in so-called "menstrual huts" for the duration of their periods.

I'm not sure I'd mind that. It would get me out of making dinner, which, incidentally, is chicken. Again.

akiwiguy
05-04-2008, 01:03 AM
I'm not sure I'd mind that. It would get me out of making dinner, which, incidentally, is chicken. Again.

Hmmm. Time I started a "Non-menstruating men should never mow the lawns on a full moon or for that matter any other lunar phase on account of it inducing earthqaukes and other natural disasters, so better to spend all day on one's bum watching the sports channel" myth.

Pup
05-04-2008, 02:51 AM
I was always told never go into a garden if it was your time of the month (gross yes, but keep reading)...or you would kill out all the cucumber vines. My cousin steps into the garden, brushed the vines with her leg, they were all dead by morning. It happened several different times, with different people. Odd.

Cucumbers are susceptible to diseases and funguses that cause wilting and death. As this (http://books.google.com/books?pg=PA211&dq=cucumbers+diseases+dew&lr=&sig=eOWGhNAYVvtKgTAhPTPCu4003hQ&id=SAz_Y52B-O8C&output=html)site says, "Workers and equipment should stay out of fields when plants are wet from dew or rain."

Brushing the vines with your leg, if the vines are damp with dew or rain or from being watered, is a good way to spread problems by contact. No menstruation required.

Maryn
05-04-2008, 04:55 PM
One of the ones I've never understood is that in any fairly large group of women together much of the time (dorm or sorority life, a mostly female full-time work environment, even households with three or four females), it takes less than six months for their menstrual cycles to synchronize to make them all begin within the same ten-day period. (Ugh, pun not intended.) Of course, if somebody's on the pill this doesn't happen, but I've seen it again and again starting in my teens and continuing to the present day.

What would explain that? I assume Mother Nature has both a means and a purpose, but what are they?

Maryn, assuming this one's not going to be on the Discovery channel

Seaclusion
05-04-2008, 05:10 PM
Misery loves company.

Richard

Appalachian Writer
05-04-2008, 05:35 PM
'Round here, people plant their crops by sign. Right now, you're supposed to be planting root crops, at least for the next couple of weeks. Never fails, those who don't follow the signs end up with less produce than those who do. How it works? I don't know, but I do know it works. Odd.

GeorgieB
05-04-2008, 05:37 PM
'Round here, people plant their crops by sign. Right now, you're supposed to be planting root crops, at least for the next couple of weeks. Never fails, those who don't follow the signs end up with less produce than those who do. How it works? I don't know, but I do know it works. Odd.

Who puts up the sign? Vigorgro? (or however you spell it?)

choppersmom
05-04-2008, 05:55 PM
Misery loves company.

Richard

:roll::roll::roll:

This has to be the BEST explanation for this phenomenon anyone could ever come up with.

choppersmom
05-04-2008, 05:56 PM
Hmmm. Time I started a "Non-menstruating men should never mow the lawns on a full moon or for that matter any other lunar phase on account of it inducing earthqaukes and other natural disasters, so better to spend all day on one's bum watching the sports channel" myth.

Nice try. Now get out there and mow that lawn or I'll ask you to clean the gutters as well!

waylander
05-04-2008, 06:11 PM
One of the ones I've never understood is that in any fairly large group of women together much of the time (dorm or sorority life, a mostly female full-time work environment, even households with three or four females), it takes less than six months for their menstrual cycles to synchronize to make them all begin within the same ten-day period. (Ugh, pun not intended.) Of course, if somebody's on the pill this doesn't happen, but I've seen it again and again starting in my teens and continuing to the present day.

What would explain that? I assume Mother Nature has both a means and a purpose, but what are they?

Maryn, assuming this one's not going to be on the Discovery channel

Pheromones - seriously, it is well documented

Seaclusion
05-04-2008, 06:22 PM
Pheromones - seriously, it is well documented

That explains the how, but not the why. I suspect it is a device to keep the men sane. If all the women around the men were menstrating all the time it would drive the men away. This way everyone is miserable at the same time and then happy the rest of the time.

Richard

Izunya
05-04-2008, 11:02 PM
That explains the how, but not the why. I suspect it is a device to keep the men sane. If all the women around the men were menstrating all the time it would drive the men away. This way everyone is miserable at the same time and then happy the rest of the time.

Richard

Off the top of my head (in other words, I'm kind of bull$#!++ing here) it occurs to me that blood smell would be a serious liability in the wilderness. Perhaps communities that knew when their communal period was going to happen lost fewer women to leopards or opportunistic hyenas. The women would stick close to camp doing sit-down chores like scraping hides or fletching, and the men would put together a big hunting party to take up the food-gathering slack. (Not to mention it would get them out of the cave for the first day or two . . . hmm.) If something is predictable, it's easier to deal with, you know?

Izunya

paprikapink
05-05-2008, 07:39 AM

I agree that it's a myth, but I strongly suspect that it's a myth originated by women. It'd be good for everyone -- guys have to cook their own meals, schlep their own water for a few days; gals can let their hair down, do for themselves whatever the guys usually do for them (what that'd be, I don't know...start fires?). Helps everyone appreciate each other more when they're back together.

And, I consider myself a feminist, but I'm not in favor of this whole pretense that I'm functioning fine and dandy every day of the month. Maybe men really do, but I'm okay with conceding that point to the fellows. If I can work a half day, or not at all, during my period, or limit my work to mellow, low-key tasks, we're all fine. If I have to fake like a menstrual day is the same as any other day, I'm strung-out and exhausted and yeah, I may rip your head off.

Appalachian Writer
05-05-2008, 04:58 PM
Who puts up the sign? Vigorgro? (or however you spell it?)

Nope. The signs relate to the part of a human body. If the sign is in the legs, you can plant certain crops; the head, others. I can't remember them all but they use a classic representation of the body and the growing season corresponds to each part. I'm not an expert, but my mother, born in the 1920's, grew up farming. Her father passed the info down from his father and so on back through history.