PDA

View Full Version : Why I don't care. (just a fun little essay, some random thoughts)

Project nachonaco
05-03-2008, 10:39 PM
I'm about as low-maintenance you can get.

About half a minute spent raking a brush through my hair.

A hoody if it's cold, a baggy T-Shirt if it's not. Jeans either way.

Sneakers.

A protein bar and a Hello Kitty bag in the morning for school.

I'm happy this way.

There's nothing Hollister or Abercrombie in my closet or drawers. Mostly it's school shirts or Family Guy or stuff with monkeys on 'em.

Or Happy Bunny, can't forget HB.

I'm also pale as a ghost, with resources to safely make myself not-pale.

Why do I not care what I look like, as so many people claim I seem to do?

I find myself much happier not worrying about dressing like everyone else. As for 'not caring about my appearance', I'm not out to get your approval. Yes, I'll dress up at, say, a wedding or a dance, but not every day. I don't wear makeup. It's uncomfortable. I WILL, on occasion, get my brows waxed.

But that's about it.

I think that dolling myself up to try and fit the image of the typical 18-year-old, when it's not who I want to be, is the worst lie a person can tell.

Tell you the truth, I don't have many friends, and the ones I do understand why I don't get makeovers very often.

If I were to change who I was right now, at this very instant, the sudden attention I would get would be false. It would be congratulating me on being untruthful. I am myself.

Let me tell you something: because I don't care about what other people think of me, I have had a much happier life. I live for myself and my cats.

I find that the people who 'don't care', like me, are really much nicer people. They don't judge me on the way I look or how I dress. And it's not that I can't afford Hollister or Abercrombie...but are labels going to make me a better person? Is 'Tommy Hilfiger' some code for 'Hey! She's hot, let's go out on a date with her even though she might be a complete idiot!' that I don't know about?

I value brains and personality over looks. Trying to find a guy that's 100% hot is just...impossible to do without being unhappy. Now, I'm going to say that I have one - well, two - requirements: No zits and no chest/back hair. 'S 'bout it.

I might be crazy....but then again I'm happy.

Perks
05-03-2008, 10:43 PM
Now, I'm going to say that I have one - well, two - requirements: No zits and no chest/back hair. You're going to date twelve year old boys for the rest of your life?

(It's nice that you're not overly concerned with brands and labels.)

Project nachonaco
05-03-2008, 10:45 PM
You're going to date twelve year old boys for the rest of your life?

(It's nice that you're not overly concerned with brands and labels.)

Just a guy that knows what Nair and Clearasil are....

Perks
05-03-2008, 10:47 PM
I just don't know how many guys are willing to Nair their chests regularly, but maybe it's a new thing. Good luck!

Jersey Chick
05-03-2008, 11:53 PM
I'd hook you up with my brother in law - but he's just a little bit too old for you. He's totally into the manscaping thing. :D

Bravo
05-03-2008, 11:59 PM
the problem with guys who are into that manscaping thing is that they are typically into women who are into grooming and high fashion as well.

Jersey Chick
05-04-2008, 12:13 AM
Yeah - he's kind of like that as well.

William Haskins
05-04-2008, 12:24 AM
i think it's fine that you've chosen this low-maintenance path for yourself, but be careful not to be exactly what you are trying to avoid.

dressing down doesn't make you better than someone who dresses up, if that's who they are as well. so it's not a categorical thing.

you should avoid simple rebellion against conventions for their own sake, which becomes a pretension of its own.

it's like people who aren't content to not watch tv or not eat meat merely because they feel it's the right thing to do; they have to tell everyone that they don't watch tv or eat meat and it's laced with a sense of self-satisfaction and smugness.

"live and let live" is a good policy.

Perks
05-04-2008, 12:25 AM
Do you wax your chest, Haskins?

William Haskins
05-04-2008, 12:26 AM
i pluck them out with clam shells, like the native americans.

i also call corn "maise".

Jersey Chick
05-04-2008, 12:28 AM
And are you called Waxes with Clams?

brokenfingers
05-04-2008, 12:28 AM
I laud your recipe for personal happiness and your ability to not follow the masses off the cliff to your own self-destruction.

I've seen it many people take until well into their thirties to achieve such an ability to throw off the shackles of compliance and be comfortable with themselves.

As a sidenote, I have neither zits nor back/chest hair (though I'm not presenting myself as a candidate.) So don't worry about finding someone who satisfies your personal dreams. It can happen.

Perks
05-04-2008, 12:31 AM
Yes, brokenfingers will be happy to introduce you to his younger clanmates. They're all from Venus where it's too damned hot for body hair.

But they all snore.

Jersey Chick
05-04-2008, 12:32 AM
And they sweat like monkeys

brokenfingers
05-04-2008, 12:34 AM
Yes, brokenfingers will be happy to introduce you to his younger clanmates. They're all from Venus where it's too damned hot for body hair.

But they all snore.Another sidenote: I don't snore either. Unless I'm physically exhausted and happen to fall asleep on my back. And then I usually wake myself up with the strange noise.

All my clanmates are currently spoken for also.

And we're from New York, not Venus, thank you very much.

Perks
05-04-2008, 12:47 AM
And we're from New York, not Venus, thank you very much.Potato, patahto.

soleary
05-04-2008, 01:13 AM
I am the queen of dress down, especially if I'm on deadline. With that said, however, it's tempting to hide one's sexual self in dress down camouflage. When I don't want attention from the opposite sex, I leave the mascara and heels behind.

I like to put on the blush and eyeliner every now and again with my tailored shirts and jeans, as it reminds me that I'm a girl! And being a girl ROCKS.

kristie911
05-04-2008, 04:01 AM
As a sidenote, I have neither zits nor back/chest hair

Another sidenote: I don't snore either.

I think I just fell in love. :LilLove: