PDA

View Full Version : Ouch ouch ouch

Tburger
05-03-2008, 09:59 PM
Just got a rejection from one of the BIG sci fi mags (over 12,000 submissions per year) - I kind of expected it, but it still sucks. I sent out like thrity submissions for about six-seven different short stories, because I knew that once the rejections started rolling in I wouldn't be able to stomach sending anything out for a while.

Now I see why so many people give up!:rant: At least they were quick (less than 2 weeks including snail mails).

Gray Rose
05-03-2008, 10:12 PM
Tburger, have you sent simultaneous submissions? I would really, really advise you against it unless the submission guidelines state that you can. It is very easy to burn yourself with these mags, and SFF is a very small field.

Sorry for your rejection.

Tburger
05-03-2008, 10:14 PM
Please! I'm not that stupid! :) They all accept sim-subs and I warned them in my cover letter!

Gray Rose
05-03-2008, 10:25 PM
Please! I'm not that stupid! :) They all accept sim-subs and I warned them in my cover letter!

Great!

Which one of the big ones accepts simsubs?

clara bow
05-03-2008, 10:27 PM
Sorry to learn about your rejection.

Tburger
05-03-2008, 10:31 PM
The big ones don't - unless I'm mistaken. Most of the shorts I sent out were horror, to semi-pro mags.

Gray Rose
05-03-2008, 10:38 PM
Just got a rejection from one of the BIG sci fi mags

The big ones don't - unless I'm mistaken. Most of the shorts I sent out were horror, to semi-pro mags.

Thanks for clarifying that. That's why I got confused. Don't worry about getting a R from F&SF (or was it Asimov's?) - that's standard. It's a badge of honor if you will, and a rite of passage. And now - deep breath and send it out again!

Good luck,
Rose

Tburger
05-03-2008, 10:48 PM
I'll give you a big hint: yep, it was one of those two!!! :) I'm not really bothered by it, I'm bothered by rejection in general. But it got me thinking (this may be a question for another board): granted the pro-mags get you the most exposure, but isn't there some benefit to be gained from publishing semi-pro? What about going lower even than semi pro? I kind of like the last rejection I got from one of those mags (a horror genre rejection, but they requested to see my next work). And they gave me useable feedback: "not enough at the front end to give a good sense of setting."

Now that's an awesome rejection.

Gray Rose
05-03-2008, 10:59 PM
Just my 2c. Of course it would be awesome to sell to F&SF, but it also would be awesome to win the lottery.

I send to my favorite markets. Granted, I never sent short stories to token-pay mags, but a credit is a credit.

waylander
05-04-2008, 12:52 AM
Most of the people you see in F+SF already have novels out, or have been selling short fiction to the pro mags for years if not decades. Selling to the big pros is as hard as selling a novel.
A lot of my sales have been to the semi-pros. It is still hard to sell to them, they get all the 'nearly' stories from the pros.
There is still merit in appearing in the lower level mags, particularly those that make frequent appearances amongst the honourable mentions in the Year's Best collections. That is a badge of honour well worth collecting and is certainly achievable.

Phaeal
05-04-2008, 02:50 AM
Hey, Tburger, you've just paid some more dues! That's a good thing.

You can't call yourself an SF/F/H trooper until you've gotten enough rejections from Analog, Asimov's, and SF & F to paper a 10 x 10 room. Man, at this point, I feel like I should be on a first name basis with Gordon Van Gelder and Dr. Schmidt, I've sent them so many letters. ;)

Gordon has class -- his rejections always look personal, anyway.

I've got six stories in constant circulation now, so I can usually count on at least one rejection a week. As soon as a rejection comes in, I send that story out again. The same day. It's like running a gauntlet -- you can't stop to feel the smart of every blow, or you'll never get to the end of that damn line.

Tburger
05-04-2008, 04:59 AM
Thanks you guys. Yesterday I sent in one of my difficult-to-classify stories to Zoetrope: All Stories. I figured I may as well add a rejection from Francis Ford Copolla (sp?) while I'm at it.

SPMiller
05-04-2008, 05:10 AM
Heh, I sent one of my stories to F&SF knowing full well it will get rejected. It's just a matter of time now.

I intend to frame it! I wanted my first pro rejection to be a big one. I'm so excited.

I'll be able to post a thread in here soon.

blacbird
05-04-2008, 08:22 AM
I intend to frame it! I wanted my first pro rejection to be a big one. I'm so excited.

You'll feel differently about your 80th.

caw

KikiteNeko
05-07-2008, 07:36 PM
Sorry you were rejected. I don't know much about scifi, but I imagine it's VERY hard to stand out in that field. Keep trying!