PDA

View Full Version : Wow, finally back in the USA.

Terran
05-03-2008, 07:51 PM
Well after weeks of delays due to and an airline going bankrupt, sandstorms and scheduling mishaps, we are finally home.

Our ‘Freedom Bird’ a Air Force C-17 Cargo Airplane, and probably the most comfortable flight I have ever taken.

I say most comfortable because, show me a stewardess on a civilian airline who would not stroke-out if over 100 Marines decided to curl up in the aisles and go to sleep and I will buy stock in that company.

The only complaint I have was that the in-flight services were somewhat lacking, trying to take a piss during turbulent weather when your bathroom is a lil-hole cut into the side of the aircraft...well it’s not fun, but at-least I never had to worry about the Airlines losing my luggage. It was all right their at the back of the plane right where I could see it.

Our 18 hr layover at Ramstine AFB more than made up for any inconveniences. Less than 100 ft from the Air Force hotel where we were staying, was an Air Force Enlisted Club. Now you would think that over 100 Marines in an Air Force Club...recipe for disaster right?
Wrong. They welcomed us with open arms, every Marine drank for free that night. Between the Air Force getting us a ride out of country and how they treated us at Ramstine, I will never have another negative thing to say about the Air Force. They are one Helluva group of people from top to bottom.
Needless to say, some people were late to the morning formation,(my self included)but as everyone made it to the bird on time it was no big thing, and 9 hrs later we were back in the US of A.

So now I’m 3 beers into what I am sure will be one hell of A bender,(it was 2 beers but I lost my Internet connection and had to type all this over again)and the air well this might sound corny but as I got off the plane in Cherry Point, well it never smelled so good, almost perfumed.

Siddow
05-03-2008, 07:58 PM
Welcome home.

soleary
05-03-2008, 08:01 PM
Welcome home! Have a cyber beer on me! :)

Cranky
05-03-2008, 08:02 PM
:partyguy:Welcome home, Terran!:partyguy:

CACTUSWENDY
05-03-2008, 08:08 PM
Welcome home.....:partyguy:

Glad you made it safe and...well, pretty much sound.

donroc
05-03-2008, 08:13 PM
Welcome home.

jannawrites
05-03-2008, 08:42 PM
Welcome home, Terran!

I just spent some time at Scott Air Force base, a joint command in Illinois, for my brother's USAF retirement. Seeing each branch of the military coexist was amazing (that word seems somehow insufficient), and I couldn't speak more highly of the Marines, Naval officers, Army men and woman, etc., who took part - with honor - in my brother's ceremony. I have a newfound, better understood respect for the military.
And many, many kudos to you for all you yourself have done. :e2salute:

JoNightshade
05-03-2008, 09:29 PM
Hooray!!! So glad you're finally home. Enjoy your time.

And from a seabee's daughter, thank you for serving. :)

Maryn
05-03-2008, 09:29 PM
Welcome home, marine. Got something for you:

http://www.displayit-info.com/food/images/drinks/2111.JPG

Yeah, I know, you've already got one, but this one's special, bought just for you.

Maryn, hoping you don't mind the foam spewing down the side

Haggis
05-03-2008, 09:41 PM
I think I can speak for the rest of the drunks when I say, you'll be drinking for free in this thread for a long, long time.

Welcome home, and thanks. :e2salute:

Terran
05-03-2008, 09:44 PM
Any time I can get it free.:D

jannawrites
05-03-2008, 09:50 PM
Speaking of beers, my brother gave me a "challenge coin." Is that something each branch has?

Jean Marie
05-03-2008, 09:51 PM
Welcome home :) Terran.

Thank you!

Jean Marie
05-03-2008, 09:53 PM
Speaking of beers, my brother gave me a "challenge coin." Is that something each branch has?
Janna, a friend of mine and her husband are stationed at Scott. They've got 2 boys and are both in the Air Force.

She was just deployed to Afghanistan, so he's playing Mr. Mom until the fall. I guess I should say, Staff Sergeant Mr. Mom. :D

Terran
05-03-2008, 09:57 PM

Yea...kinda.

It's usually a battalion coin that is good at a bar that battalion fequients...or if some guy is claiming to have served in your BN and you through that coin down he has to show his...ect..ect.

jannawrites
05-03-2008, 10:19 PM
Yea...kinda.

It's usually a battalion coin that is good at a bar that battalion fequients...or if some guy is claiming to have served in your BN and you through that coin down he has to show his...ect..ect.

Yeah, the story behind them was passed on to us sisters... not that I'll ever have (or want) the occasion to use it... but I think it's pretty neat. :) And it's a cool memento from his retirement.

Jean Marie, that's great about your SSgt friend. (Not so great about his wife, it must be hard with her away.) Is he faring okay?

Scott AFB is so beautiful.

Perks
05-03-2008, 10:24 PM
Welcome home, sir. Glad you're back, stories intact.

samgail
05-03-2008, 10:41 PM
Hiya soldier, how you doing? Welcome back!
I have whisky in my flask, want some?

SpookyWriter
05-03-2008, 10:57 PM
Our ‘Freedom Bird’ a Air Force C-17 Cargo Airplane, and probably the most comfortable flight I have ever taken.

I say most comfortable because, show me a stewardess on a civilian airline who would not stroke-out if over 100 Marines decided to curl up in the aisles and go to sleep and I will buy stock in that company.
Welcome home, jarhead! I remember flying in a C-17 from Japan to Okinawa, Korea to Okinawa, and Okinawa to Japan for my flight back to the states. Glad you made back safe. Semper fi!

Komnena
05-04-2008, 01:29 AM
WELCOME HOME!!!!!

JoeEkaitis
05-04-2008, 01:32 AM
What everyone else said, and, thank you.

Jean Marie
05-04-2008, 03:17 AM
Yeah, the story behind them was passed on to us sisters... not that I'll ever have (or want) the occasion to use it... but I think it's pretty neat. :) And it's a cool memento from his retirement.

Jean Marie, that's great about your SSgt friend. (Not so great about his wife, it must be hard with her away.) Is he faring okay?

Scott AFB is so beautiful.
It's awesome what she's doing, true. He's been deployed to Afghanistan, twice now, so it was her turn. He's hanging in there, so far. Her mom's coming in a few weeks to help him out w/ the boys. One is 7 and the other is only 8 months old.

I've known her since she was about 10 :D I'm fairly proud.

zahra
05-04-2008, 03:24 AM
It's nice here, innit?:)

Happy Homecoming.

AmyDoodle
05-04-2008, 03:30 AM
Welcome back. And thank you.

KODB
05-04-2008, 03:42 AM
Welcome home, and thanks for a job well done.

nerds
05-04-2008, 01:02 PM
Welcome home, Terran, with deep gratitude for your service.

:Hug2:

:e2salute:

Jean Marie
05-04-2008, 09:02 PM
Terran, I hope you take loads of time to relax w/ your family.

God bless you, good man.

kct webber
05-04-2008, 09:13 PM
Welcome back, Terran. Semper Fi and Hoo Yah and all that. Good luck getting back into the groove. I know it can be rough.