Status
Not open for further replies.

Bartholomew

Comic guy
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
My email campaign, combined with a tragic typo that I'm 90% sure one of the editors inserted into an article of mine, got me fired. I can't tell whether to be happy or sad. Talking about my job on this forum is apparently some sort of deep betrayal.

It's a sobering experience to find out that you don't actually have friends. Back to fiction I go, methinks.

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yikes. I haven't been following the drama, but being fired, even from a job you hate, always sucks, so you have my sympathies.

Here, have some cookies. They always help.

Maryn, momming the hell out of Bart

soleary

Registered
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about the job loss. Give yourself some time to grieve it, and then start hitting the keys. You've already proven you have talent, and you will find the right job for you.

CACTUSWENDY

An old, sappy, and happy one.
Kind Benefactor
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Bart. Am so sorry for your loss.

Since I am not sure what all has happened, please rest assured that you DO have friends here on the board. If you have been betrayed...then may it fall back on them in the end. Keep looking forward and head for all the success you have coming to ya.

Siddow

I'm super! Thanks for asking
Registered
Reaction score
Bart, I'm sorry to hear this. I'm sure those who helped you in your email campaign are feeling quite low at this moment, too.

But I really like the quote in your signature. :D

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
My email campaign,
...looking through Find More Posts by Bartholomew... Oh, "The newspaper I work for ran a glowing article on PA" thing. How quickly I forget.
combined with a tragic typo that I'm 90% sure one of the editors inserted into an article of mine, got me fired.

I can't tell whether to be happy or sad. Talking about my job on this forum is apparently some sort of deep betrayal.

It's a sobering experience to find out that you don't actually have friends. Back to fiction I go, methinks.
No doubt it's not so much the posting on AW, but rather calling THEM on a really bad error (the whole "Teen Publishes Novel" thing where the facts are the "publisher" is PA, a scam house rather than a publishing house): the whole publishing of that article was an error. I think they could have lived with it being an error without AW members' rubbing their noses in it (okay, that's not what AW members did, I'm sure, but you gotta look at this from a jerk's point of view...).

Whoever said it was right, you do have friends, they just don't work there. I was once around lots of people who had "unconditional love" for me as long as I parrotted the Sacred Literature. When I became a heretic their "unconditional love" turned into shame really fast. At least for you this was "only an employer," not a group you were supposed to attend for the rest of your life...

If someone from AW wrote to them saying something bad about you (as it appears you suspect), the appropriate thing for an employer to do would be ask you (or "confront" you) about it. If such an email were clearly unsubstantiated and meant to "get you in trouble" you could ask them to hand it over along with full headers (and if they don't, you could probably get a court order for it), with which a SuperMod could do a SuperIPMatch, and a problem AW member would be banned. But the fact the paper got rid of you this way just shows what jerks and chickens they are (name calling by Ben Bradley, no relation to Bartholomew other than we both post on AW).

Last edited:

Bartholomew

Comic guy
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
If someone from AW wrote to them saying something bad about you (as it appears you suspect), the appropriate thing for an employer to do would be ask you (or "confront" you) about it.

I don't think that at all. I appreciate your thoughts, though.

Everyones. :)

dgiharris

Disgruntled Scientist
Registered
Reaction score
...the appropriate thing for an employer to do would be ask you (or "confront" you) about it...

THe problem with many employers is that they don't care about doing the appropriate thing. Their egos are way too big for that. Also, many states have 'no fault firing' meaning that an employer can fire you for no reason at all and the employee is left with no recourse. In some states, being fired means you don't collect unemployment.

Anyways,

I'm so sorry to hear that Barth, and I also pray that it wasn't someone at AW who betrayed your confidence. That would be so horrific and if that was the case, I wish them an agonizing death via gonnerea and crab lice.

Mel...

slcboston

Pasture-ized
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Any employer who would fire you for attempting to publish the truth, and for trying to ensure that the truth was published, is probably not the kind of employer you want to be working for anyway.

I'd offer you a job if I could Bart, any time. :)

KikiteNeko

Registered
Reaction score
That stinks. How did they find out you posted here?

CACTUSWENDY

An old, sappy, and happy one.
Kind Benefactor
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Well, if that is the case Bart, then you were working for small minded people. Count your blessings that you don't anymore. Whoever from here put the dogs on you, may the karma come back to them ten-fold.

I am sure they are watching all this now to see what is said, as I am sure the ex-editor is too. I hope they get their eyes full. For a school of higher learning it is sad for all the 'Peter Principles' that are at work out there. Instead of them counting their blessings that their error was found......sigh....oh well. Just shows how small their minds are. Just my 2 cents.

Status
Not open for further replies.