Status
Not open for further replies.

A. J. Luxton

Wibbly-Wobbly. Timey-Wimey.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ajluxton.com
After a while in the other thread, I decided to make a companion thread: what are some of the best validations, random pieces of wisdom, and meaningful compliments you've heard from "civilians"?

Here's one that sticks in my mind:

When I was in my senior year of college, and I decided to go for an MFA instead of pursuing a graduate psych degree as I'd intended, I wrote my father this email in a very small apologetic voice about it.

He replied (paraphrased):

"That's great! I knew you would figure out you should focus on your writing, sooner or later."

Means a lot coming from the guy who has to bail me out when I can't pay my rent, let me tell you.

Matera the Mad

Bartender, gimme a Linux Mint
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.firefromthesky.org
My #1 beta is a non-writer -- but of course an avid reader (with good taste). I have taken every suggestion she has made with great seriousness. Changing a character's name and a few other things to avoid ties in readers' minds with other works were her best. Non-writers will often give valuable insights because they don't have the hang-ups writers have that cause over-critting, re-write-itis. They can see things from a clean, uncluttered outside perspective. That was why I "advertised" in a non-writing forum for readers. I know the people there, of course.

VGrossack

bored fan with a tic
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.tapestryofbronze.com
Years ago, my father called me to tell me that my mother had died. She had been in poor health for many years before that so her death was not a shock - but it was still sudden.

I flew home, and discovered that my mother had written me a letter. Not the type of letter that she meant for me to read after her death, but a more ordinary letter in response to one I had written for Mother's Day earlier that year - and which she never got around to mailing. In it there were the words: "Don't give up on your writing..."

Melenka

Better is the enemy of done
Registered
Reaction score
Website
rebeccakovar.com
From my husband: "That sounds good, and I understand what you were going for, but it's physically impossible. Let me show you why." And then we acted out the fight scene. He was right. Now I ask him about technical matters when I write hand to hand fights and he takes me through them until the dog gets too upset.

A. J. Luxton

Wibbly-Wobbly. Timey-Wimey.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ajluxton.com
...And today, another one also from my family.

I'd told my family about getting an agent, and Dad wrote me to say, "I've talked with your mother about it, and we just want to say, make sure your agent is reliable, check the contract, be careful..."

I wrote him back with a slightly indignant list of references, but really was mostly just touched that this was a thought that would enter their minds. Not surprised, though. These are the same parents who have at various points encouraged the kids in the family to send streams of gibberish to poetry.com to see if they got the "ur famos! pls send us money to buy your poem on a mug!" letter back, which of course they always did. Canny, canny folks.

kct webber

Squirrel, Sekrit type, 1 ea.
Registered
Reaction score
I'm with Matera on this. Half my betas are non-writers. They have a purely-reader's perspective that writers don't. They ask different questions, but questions that are just as valuable for different reasons. I've gotten some very good comments that really made me rethink some things from my non-writers.

sassandgroove

Sassy haircut
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
the other day i felt like everything was pointless and so why bother trying... blah blah blah. my husband (whom I like to call Mr. Groove around here) said, "Did you put pen to paper? Then you didn't fail." he always says the best things.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Words I've been getting from my wife for more than thirty years. "Stop complaining, and go write."

Wayne K

Banned
Reaction score
My wife says to me, "You have a kind heart, a great mind, and you're a brilliant writer"

And, I still make her wash her own dishes :)

SaronaNalia

Registered
Reaction score
Not smart, but refreshing. In my German class yesterday, the teacher asked us each what we're doing this weekend. I said I would be writing. A guy in the class talked to me afterwards, and he thought it was just fantastic that I was a writer. Which was nice, because usually all I get are confused stares or judgements about how I'll never make a living that way.

Diana_Rajchel

Writing from my Seaside Palace
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
blog.dianarajchel.com
In reference to my fashion blog: "Thank you for what you do, and for doing it differently."

In reference to my own writing, "Thank you for making the effort to make it good."

Ari Meermans

MacAllister's Official Minion & Greeter
Registered
Reaction score
"You are too a good writer. If you want to be a better writer, you need to plant your ass in that chair and write instead of complainin' about what a lousy writer you are, ya nit!"

Kitty27

So Goth That I Was Born Black
Registered
Reaction score
Oh,shut up and write. I don't want to hear you going ham over every little thing. Just write the story and then edit. This is pretty simple to me.

From my brother. He's very concrete in his views,lol.

song_of_calliope

Registered
Reaction score
Ladylil, my partner did that today himself only with washing the dishes which is supposed to be my job. He could see I'd gotten caught up with writing and didn't want me to have to stop to do housework. Sometimes actions speak louder than words.

sassandgroove

Sassy haircut
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
so yesterday my hubby was watching a show I only marginally like so I started writing until it was over and we could watch a show together. But instead he turns off the tv when his show is over and says, "I didn't want to interrupt your groove." :heart:

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sat Nam! (literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

Since I write nonfiction (mostly), I always run my work by people who aren't writers who know the material. Well worth doing!

My favorite non-writer comment was written in my senior annual. To understand it, you have to know that I was considered the "brain" of my class, and many people were thinking I would go into all sorts of brainy type field. Here's the quote: "Here's hoping you become a poet rather than an engineer." That one quote has kept me going through some very dark times.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

Status
Not open for further replies.