48,000 words: Enough?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fiender

Registered
Reaction score
I finished my novel months ago, at 44,000 words. When I say I finished it, I mean I ended the story of the book out like I wanted to. I was then told it may not be enough words, so I tried to write more and I was able to get the total count up to 48,000. Is that enough for a supernatural-themed thriller?

Siddow

I'm super! Thanks for asking
Registered
Reaction score
Short is en vogue, but that's awesome short! I suggest a good beta reader who can give suggestions on how to expand it (at least to 60, if not 75k). Post the first chapter in SYW and if I like it, I'll crit it, and if you like my crit, you send me the whole shebang. Deal? I don't offer this, like, ever, but supernatural thriller is my thing.

Siddow

I'm super! Thanks for asking
Registered
Reaction score
I'll look for it.

Birol

Around and About
Registered
Reaction score
I finished my novel months ago, at 44,000 words. When I say I finished it, I mean I ended the story of the book out like I wanted to. I was then told it may not be enough words, so I tried to write more and I was able to get the total count up to 48,000. Is that enough for a supernatural-themed thriller?

Um... Probably not.

steveg144

Crusty Polemicist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
CrustyPolemicist.blogspot.com

No. What you have here is a 'novella,' not a novel. For a proper novel that a publisher might be willing to publish, you're looking at 70-80K and above. Not many outlets where you can place a novella, by the way, so you'll want to either bulk that bad boy up to 75K+ and call it a novel, or strip it way down and call it a longish short story.

JJ Cooper

Registered
Reaction score
No not enough. Boost it up to 80,000 words. If you can't get there, try for 65 - 70 and market it as an 'airport' type novel.

Get it right and your timing is good. The thriller/supernatural thriiler is enjoying a good run at the moment.

JJ

ETA - Why would you post a supernatural thriller under science fiction / fantasy in SYW?

Last edited:

Fiender

Registered
Reaction score
I though that I might as well update this thread. The previous word count was 48,000.

Since then, I haven't had much time to do much of anything for my book but recently I did get some time. I went through the first few chapters and got it up to 51,200 words.

Hopefully by the time I get all of the way through the book once or twice with my revisions, it will be at least 60-70 thousand words, and if it isn't then, this is the first book in a series I have planned, I guess I could take a small part from the second installment and turn it into this story's new ending.

Kalyke

Registered
Reaction score
I personally like short novels. I love little 1/2 to 3/4th inch thick novels. I like being able to get through a novel in a day. I'm busy and don't want to invest a million years reading one of these huge novels. I love to be able to turn around and read it again. They are little gems. A huge novel-- I don't even want to get started on that. My interest begins to dissipate at 80K words. I think though, for publishing purposes, a 70-80K novel is the best size for a little novel.

Phaeal

Whatever I did, I didn't do it.
Registered
Reaction score
You can't write a novel too long for me, so long as that length is necessary, like meat on the plate, or delightful, like little dishes of savories and sweets served between the main courses. The sheer heft of a big novel is delicious. Short novels are okay, too, but only if their stories dictate that brevity. A novel starved to anorexia just to fit an arbitrary low word count is no fun at all. It's the celery of literature.

stormie

storm central
Registered
Reaction score
Still three blocks from the Atlantic Ocean
Website
www.anneskal.wordpress.com
Keep in mind you can't just pad a ms. in order to bring up the word count. It won't be interesting. Make sure you absolutely need to add those extra words. As Cassidy said, would it make it in the upper YA market? Is the MC no older than 20? Is it a book that older teens would enjoy?

WriterX316

Registered
Reaction score
BAH!

C.S. Lewis had a novella for most of his Narnia series. He threw in some illustrations and made the idea matter weigh in. Why a novel has to be within these parameters makes me laugh and shake a fist. Writers should be allowed to write as they want to. But if you want to publish it has to be by their rules. Unless you go the self publishing route.

underthecity

Finestkind
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.allensedge.com
Fiender,

To continue what stormie said, you probably shouldn't simply go back and pad out your scenes. You might end up with bloated chapters that are all too long.

What I might suggest is that you look at your subplots and try to build on them. Or, choose a strong secondary character and build a subplot on him. Look at that character and see how the main story is affecting him and characters that revolve around him. His subplot will be secondary to the main plot, and must influence the story as a whole.

That is, assuming you haven't done this already. If so, try to build on what subplot(s) you already have.

allen

seun

Horror Man
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lukewalkerwriter.com
I have a similar issue. A few months ago, I finished a book which is 45,000 words. Given that it's a sequel to an unpublished book, I have no idea whether it's worth my time submitting it anywhere.

DamaNegra

Mexican on the loose!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fictionpress.com
He, I'm facing a similar predicament. I finished the storyline for my WIP at, wait for it, 28k words. Yeah, laugh at me. I've since added a great subplot that's steered my novel into Magical Realism and is making it much better and stronger than it already was. I've managed to bring it up to 30k words, and I'm just starting to explore the new subplot. If all goes well, it will get me at least to 50k words, and I'm already starting to consider a third, very interesting subplot that will get me to 60 or 70k words.

BlueLucario

Blood Elves FTW
Registered
Reaction score
It matters if you're writing for publication.

Okay... So there's a minumum word count that must be met for publication? I though books like Of Mice and Men were perhaps about that size.

Weird....

That's like your teacher making a minimum word count of 1k words on your essay, but 500 words is all you could write to express your ideas.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.