Possibly the greatest music video ever made

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
It's strange you posted the clip, as I listened to that song the other day on the radio; I hadn't heard it many years.

Weird video. I thought I was slightly stoned while viewing, sort of like a contact buzz.

Shweta

Sick and absent
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shwetanarayan.org
It's an interesting video, but I kept thinking "Those guys are so not singing like that while slouched on a couch", and that additional incongruity sort of threw me out of accepting the rest of the weirdness.

But yeah, different tastes. Maybe I'm a minimalist, but personally my favourite in a long time is Sarah McLachlan's World on Fire music video. Can't find a link to it that works, though.

akiwiguy

AW Inmate #90976
Registered
Reaction score
I'm curious about something else connected to that video. One of the comments below it referred to Flight of the Concordes.

Now, they're Kiwi guys and I have seen a couple of news items suggesting they are doing quite well in the States. And I have wondered, is this a bit of a spin on local boys made good... like, how popular are they? It would be obviously a "cult" type following, but I'm curious to what degree the average American has even heard of them.

TerzaRima

Absinthe O'Malice
Registered
Reaction score
Um, I posted it because I thought it was funny, not because I really did think it was all that good.

Cranky

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I hadn't heard of them before. Doesn't mean they aren't any good, though. I'm going hunting through youtube and teh intrawebz to find out more, though.

Right after I listen to this, my favorite Hall and Oates song evah.

Shweta

Sick and absent
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shwetanarayan.org
Um, I posted it because I thought it was funny, not because I really did think it was all that good.

I actually like it, as far as I can tell (video quality's not great). The voice thing kept making me think Bollywood voice-overs though.

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
...but I'm curious to what degree the average American has even heard of them.
They used to be popular in the late seventies and well in the eighties. In their heyday, they charted quite a few top 40s hits. Their music can still be heard on some radio stations that play "oldies" songs. I may be wrong, but I think they toured the US not long ago.

EriRae

:P
Registered
Reaction score
For the longest time, I would play "Maneater" like it was my theme song.

ETA--no, I'm not really that kind of girl, but it sure gave me confidence!

akiwiguy

AW Inmate #90976
Registered
Reaction score
They used to be popular in the late seventies and well in the eighties. In their heyday, they charted quite a few top 40s hits. Their music can still be heard on some radio stations that play "oldies" songs. I may be wrong, but I think they toured the US not long ago.

Sorry SK... what I was referring to is a comment attached to that video... "Hall and Oates were the best ever white funksters - until Flight of the Conchorda came along", and my question was about them, these guys...

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=iR2L98gobTQ&feature=related

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
Sorry SK... what I was referring to is a comment attached to that video... "Hall and Oates were the best ever white funksters - until Flight of the Conchorda came along", and my question was about them, these guys...

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=iR2L98gobTQ&feature=related
Oh yeah, I've seen them. They have a series on the HBO cable network. I don't believe those two will ever be as popular as Hall and Oates were at one time in the US.