Best Reference Books for Writers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alvah

Life is what you make of it.
Registered
Reaction score
I have an opportunity to buy a lot of books at very low prices this coming weekend - the local library is having a sale.

What reference books have you found useful for writers?
I don't mean only books about writing, but also other types, such as
books about medicine or farming or about what it's like to be a lab technician or a detective, or a taxi diriver or professional musician or...etc.

How about good science references?

Thanks,

Linda Adams

Soldier, Storyteller
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.linda-adams.com
Ooh, ooh--library sale! :) I just went to two of them, searching for writing reference books. Obviously, some of it will depend on what you're writing, but this is what I looked for:

Compass American Guides: These are not like the Fodor's books that just list places to go in a state or a city. They are full color and have some nice narrative about the locations and history. I should note though that you can probably get tourist books and maps for free from the state government tourism sites, and also for some of the big tourist cities like New Orleans.

Antiques: Anything on antique hunting. I was specifically looking for more general information for the layman, rather than collectors. But I did see a lot of books on specific types of antiques like glassware.

Auction Catologs: This was a big score for me. I have an auction in my book and had been putting off buying a catalog from an auction house. I would have needed an artwork one, and those cost $65. When I checked the antique section, I found about five of them from past auctions, all for no more than $2 and they were for artwork. Not only that, one of them had writing in it from the auction, and another had an After Sales report stuck inside that including a painting that sold for over $1 million. One library sale also had stamp auctions, and the other hand coin auctions--the coin auctions were in Germany!

Phaeal

Whatever I did, I didn't do it.
Registered
Reaction score
Depends on what kind of stories you write. Recently I've bought a dozen books about the Puritans in 17th c. New England, in preparation for my next WIP. I'd love a copy of The History of Salem, Massachusetts by Sidney Perley if your library has one for sale. ;)

Library sales are good places to get out of print books like this. If you're looking for up to date information, not so good. Medicine and science references, probably not going to find new ones at a sale, but if you're writing a historical novel, you might like some older texts contemporary with your story.

I go to the Internet for cutting edge info, myself. Tech references date so fast.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I don't know what reference books would be the most helpful to you (other than the classics like Elements of Style), but here's a couple of other suggestions. It used to be that library book sale buyers were mostly locals just buying a book or two, but now a lot of Amazon Marketplace/eBay used book dealers come to buy. Get there early; bring a big study bag; if you see a good, clean copy of a book that you might be interested in, put it in your bag and decide later if you really want it or not. Don't worry too much about best-sellers from two years ago; you can always get those cheap, or for free if you have a bunch of book-loving friends.

kimmer

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.scholarshipstreet.com
My suggestions are books on marketing and books on ruling the world over the internet. Both are likely to help a writer. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.