PDA

View Full Version : Pregnant Cat Questions

AZ_Dawn
05-02-2008, 11:12 PM
A couple of my characters are planning to play a joke on someone, and it involves a pregnant cat. (No, they're not nice men.) How can you tell when a cat is about to give birth? Will the cat let you pick her up when she's in this condition if she trusts you at other times? How soon after she gives birth would she leave her kittens to get something to eat or drink, or to go to the bathroom? Thanks!

Penguin Queen
05-02-2008, 11:45 PM
Re the first question: theyre restless and go about everywhere looking for a place to nest. This will not be the box you lovingly prepared, but rather, say, in your wardrobe or under the covers of your bed. They build a kind of nest and there give birth. Not sure whether a cat in labour would allow herself to be picked up - my guess is not.

johnnysannie
05-03-2008, 12:36 AM
In my experience, a cat about to give birth is very touch-me-not and does build a nest of some time.

I would guesstimate several days before the cat would leave the kittens; it probably depends on how safe the cat feels within the environment.

Angela_785
05-03-2008, 12:48 AM
The cat wouldn't need to eat for a bit, seeing as they usually nosh on the afterbirth (can I get an EWWW?) I'm thinking a few days, unless the cat were in a house, then maybe after a day it might sneak out to get a bite of food and a drink of water.

Our cat allowed us to move her (she was determined to have her kitties on a white bedspread--uh, no), but I think that was because she trusted us. If it were a stranger, I think the flight or fight would come screaming out if someone tried to touch her.

mscelina
05-03-2008, 12:53 AM
Same here--my cat would let us move her, and expected to be petted and encouraged during labor. OTOH, after the kittens were born she became ultra protective. WE could go near the babies, but woe betide anyone who did!

I've observed cats in the wild when they are about to give birth and they do NOT want to be touched. It would be extremely difficult for a stranger (Particularly if the cat is feral) to get near a cat about to give birth. You can tell if a cat is about to give birth because they get ridiculously, obscenely, absurdly LARGE and they waddle when they walk.

AZ_Dawn
05-03-2008, 03:47 AM
Thanks, guys! This helps a lot.

This is gonna be rich! :D