PDA

View Full Version : First look at my cover!

Susan B
05-02-2008, 09:46 PM
So, totally out of the blue I got an e-mail from a name I didn't recognize, with a message header that read "your cover."

I opened it up, figuring maybe this was the designer at my publisher (a university press). I was right about that part. I assumed he was just offering a preliminary "hello" or maybe asking a question before getting to work on the cover. The book isn't due out till December.

But no. There is was. A version of the cover. Starting me in the face.

It suddenly felt so real, this book of mine. And I loved the design, the energy. It looked just the way it should, like an eye-catching trade book. (Not a dry academic treatise!)

I loved it so much it took a moment for me to see there was a little something that needed tweaking: the style of accordion shown on the cover. (A small thing to some readers, but not to us Cajun music fanatics :-)

So I'm eagerly awaiting the revised version of the cover. But in the meantime, I am feeling pretty good!

stormie
05-02-2008, 09:48 PM
Nice surprise for you, Susan! Great way to start the weekend. :)

mscelina
05-02-2008, 09:49 PM
Yeah, the first time I saw my first cover it was a 'make the world stop' kind of moment. Nothing really quite compares to it. *sigh* It's a lovely feeling...and it lasts only until you get the next batch of line edits...

but it's WONDERFUL while it lasts! Enjoy it and good luck to you with your book. :)

althrasher
05-02-2008, 09:50 PM
Congrats! Bet the whole thing seems a million times more real now... :)

KellyC
05-02-2008, 10:19 PM
Isn't that fun?? I so know what you're talking about! Every step of the process is such a celebration - way to go!

Judg
05-02-2008, 10:34 PM
So glad you liked it! Now when are you going to show us?

dawinsor
05-02-2008, 10:47 PM
What fun, Susan. And it's great they gave you the chance to say if something was wrong. Is that typical in fiction? I've published a couple of academic books and didn't see the cover until the book was on sale. I hate the covers.

Susan B
05-03-2008, 05:18 AM
Thanks, everyone, for the good wishes!

I will definitely post the final version to show you all once I get it.

Yes, the cover does makes it much more real. Though I didn't have to wait for the next batch of line edits to be brought down to earth--seeing it was the wrong accordion kind of did that :-) Then I showed it to my son (a copyeditor for a local paper) who didn't like the font and spacing. So critical eyes were already at work!

Also interesting timing because in the afternoon I had a scheduled phone consultation with Bella Stander (a book publicist-guru recommended by AW member Doreen Orion/aka Prevostprincess). Another thing that made it real and lit a fire! Definitely some things I need to be working on in that department.

In answer to dawinsor's question: Well, this is my first time with all this, but my impression is that publishers usually include something in the contract about the author being consulted about the cover, though the press has the final word. I have an ethnomusicologist friend who has a book coming out with the same press, and he was also consulted about the cover. Sorry you were unhappy with your covers. That would be hard!

Yes, a very nice start to the weekend....

Susan (or my real name: Blair)

Pike
05-03-2008, 10:08 AM
I wish I had some new cover love. :cry:

Congrats! I hope that euphoria never fades.

Pike

RoccoMom
05-04-2008, 04:56 PM
Great news!

astonwest
05-04-2008, 09:54 PM
Cool news! Looking forward to seeing it myself...

Saundra Julian
05-05-2008, 08:12 AM
Congratulations!

xiaotien
05-05-2008, 08:17 AM
this is such great news! it is real!~!!

congratulations!!!

i would be SO excited!!!

spacejock2
05-05-2008, 10:15 AM
Seeing the cover for the first time is a special moment. Congratulations!

CaroGirl
05-05-2008, 04:48 PM
I'm looking forward to seeing it when you post it. Congratulations! You have a right to feel excited. What a dream come true!

Susan B
05-06-2008, 08:23 AM
Thanks, all! Still waiting for a look at the new improved version:-)

cate townsend
05-06-2008, 08:29 AM
How exciting. I can only imagine. Congrats!

KikiteNeko
05-06-2008, 07:08 PM
Awesome~!