PDA

View Full Version : The Happening

chartreuse
05-02-2008, 07:24 PM
This looks so much up my alley that I think I'm getting stimulated in inappropriate ways:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0949731/

"A paranoid thriller about a family on the run from a natural crisis that presents a large-scale threat to humanity."

Nothing makes me happier than a good dose of doom in the summertime.

Angela_785
05-02-2008, 07:51 PM
Ooooo! I just say a trailer for this last night...*whines* I can't wait. Seriously. I CANT.

Jcomp
05-02-2008, 08:03 PM
I'm hoping that this gives us M. Night at his best as opposed to at his worst. I can't think of another director who started out so hot and then made such an abrupt and sustained turn toward awful (beginning with the absurd climax to the otherwise enjoyable Signs, through Lady in the Water). About the time Signs was released people were beginning to make Hitchcock comparisons. And then it all turned.

I want to be optimistic about this film (even though I think that title would work better for a 70's blaxploitation flick about adventures of recent high school grads on the night of a really big block party--a sort of blaxploitation answer to American Grafitti), but I'm cautious. The trailer looks solid, but the premise is pretty thin, and I've heard some questionable things about the script. Particularly the climax.

chartreuse
05-02-2008, 08:47 PM
I see what you're saying, JComp. This definitely could go either way.

I hated Signs, personally. I hated the way they handled the whole crop circle issue (right down to having the circles featured being so very, very unspectacular) and while theoretically I could have loved the overall theme of the film, in execution it was heartbreakingly hamfisted. On the other hand, I am one of the apparently very few people who actually adored The Village. Didn't matter that I saw the ending coming a mile away...I just thought it was beautifully done and I enjoyed every minute of it.

So we shall see where his newest offering comes down, but anticipation is the best part of almost anything, and I am really, REALLY anticipating The Happening.

BenPanced
05-02-2008, 09:35 PM
I'm hoping that this gives us M. Night at his best as opposed to at his worst. I can't think of another director who started out so hot and then made such an abrupt and sustained turn toward awful (beginning with the absurd climax to the otherwise enjoyable Signs, through Lady in the Water). About the time Signs was released people were beginning to make Hitchcock comparisons. And then it all turned.

I want to be optimistic about this film (even though I think that title would work better for a 70's blaxploitation flick about adventures of recent high school grads on the night of a really big block party--a sort of blaxploitation answer to American Grafitti), but I'm cautious. The trailer looks solid, but the premise is pretty thin, and I've heard some questionable things about the script. Particularly the climax.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0061748/

DWSTXS
05-02-2008, 09:59 PM
When I first saw the title, I thought it was going to be about the pop song from the 60's

Mark Wahlberg is good. BUT, I have some serious reservations about seeing anymore of M. Night Shamma-lamma-ding-dang's movies.