• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

Question - mainstream or genre fiction? page length?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlueLucario

Blood Elves FTW
Registered
Reaction score
It doesn't matter how long the book is, as long as it's enough to tell the story. You book can be the size of a college dictionary for all we care.

Doesn't sound much like Horror to me, more like Mystery(with keyword Detective)/Thriller. I think it should be a bit of suspense.

thecraftteens

Registered
Reaction score
BlueLucario is right. While there are industry standards concerning word count, each publisher's guidelines are different. Look at Stephen King's "It"! It is over 1,000 pages long.

BTW, I like the plot of your story. Sounds like something I would read.

Phaeal

Whatever I did, I didn't do it.
Registered
Reaction score
The story described could be mystery, if the focus is on solving a crime or puzzle; or suspense, if the focus is on the characters' peril; or mainstream/literary, if the focus is on the characters and language; or some combination of the above. It doesn't sound like horror to me, though it could edge in that direction if there were supernatural elements or extreme violence.

Mr Flex

Banned
Reaction score
Hi, I live in England, maybe things are different. It's all about words e.g. A competition I am entering requires between 80,000 and 150,000 words for a novel. As for pages, most reputable publishers require submissions to be on, A4, 12 point, Times New Roman, double line spaced. that works out around 400 words per page.

Kalyke

Registered
Reaction score
I've heard from some people who have published a first novel that editors are more willing to look at shorter novels rather than phone-book sized ones. We used to call these "trade-paperback sized." I've always thought that writing short novels is the best way for a beginning writer to start.

Status
Not open for further replies.