your favorite chef

cray

Superior Life form
Registered
Reaction score
introduce us to your favorite chef in this thread!

my current fav is ming tsai. i have no idea if he has a national audience or not so here,….

http://www.ming.com/

i think he has a couple of different websites but this should get you to all of them in some form or fashion

east meets west cooking.
he keeps it simple enough where ordinary work-a-day batteries like myself can prepare most of his recipes at home. i really think he has a unique ‘taste’ – he puts together some really amazing dishes with explosive flavors.

and, a big plus for me, he generally will pair a wine with his meals at the end of the show. nothing too in depth but it is interesting to me.

check him out.

hey, look! i started a thread.

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
Wow. I have no idea who you two are talking about. No doubt I will remain equally clueless throughout the entire remainder of this thread.

When you move to paradise, you have to be prepared to suffer the consequences. :D

cray

Superior Life form
Registered
Reaction score
Wow. I have no idea who you two are talking about. No doubt I will remain equally clueless throughout the entire remainder of this thread.

the point exactly,....introduce us to someone who we don't know...

III

rockin the suburbs
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jayyoungweb.com
Chef Combo, but only people who grew up in the DC area would know him.

KBComboTitle11_300.jpg

auntybug

teh other evil broad
Registered
Reaction score
I am destined for greatness. I'm just pacing mysel
Website
www.junekramin.com
79612040.jpg

:D
Not having TV - I don't get to watch any cooking stuff..but I did get to meet this guy in Celebration, Fl at a BBQ. He was my friends neighbor.
chefmain.jpg

He's on NBC or something? They called him the mad chef.
He did have some awesome stuff grilled up for us!
Count?

Last edited:

Bmwhtly

Yes, I'm back.
Registered
Reaction score
The unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of
Gordon Ramsay.
He is good.

I heard the other day he's releasing his own brand of canned soups.
If you've ever seen one of his programmes, you'll know that they're calling
the range ****ing Soup.
"Directions: Put it in the ****ing pan, you ****ing idiot! Show a bit of ****ing passion."

mscelina

Teh doommobile, drivin' rite by you
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Going shopping with Soccer Mom and Bubastes for fu
Hell's Kitchen is currently one of my favorite shows. Aside from the fact that it comes on Tuesday night, which is notoriously BAD for TV shows, watching Ramsay torture young chefs is a hell of a lot of fun for a girl who has spent decades in the service industry. Absolutely LOVE it.

Pthom

Word butcher
Registered
Reaction score
Of all the TV cooking celebrities, I'm with rosemerry. Alton Brown has a most pragmatic view of cooking and most important, he tells you WHY things should be done the way they are. May "Good Eats" remain on the Food Channel forever!

ETA: Also, he has some of the absolutely coolest tools! Ever see his stand mixer? The one with the flames on it? :D

samgail

poll dancer
Registered
Reaction score
i loved alton browns show on how to make different versions of toll house cookies-brilliant!

my favorite is nigella lawson, she is the bomb. I love her style, she loves to be in the kitchen but cherishes time spent with family and friends. Her recipes are simple but taste amazing. I also *love* Jamie Oliver. I don't really care what he is cooking-just kidding, he makes great food too!

Sarita

carpe noctem
Registered
Reaction score
Wait, wait, wait. How can they be your favorite chef if you've never eaten their food? I'm submitting my own favorite, Chief O'Brien from Barrtra. He's magical.

http://barrtra.com/index.html

The 12 grain bread alone makes me want to hang up my apron, not that I wear an apron...

TerzaRima

Absinthe O'Malice
Registered
Reaction score
Sara Moulton, not least because food safety is a routine part of her show. She teaches me something whenever I watch her; since that is usually when I am staring at PBS while sprinting on a treadmill she's probably pretty effective.

Now I am remembering meeting Mario Batali in an airport one time, how he was wearing giant hot pink Crocs, and how he came off as kind of an ass.

Last edited:

samgail

poll dancer
Registered
Reaction score
Wait, wait, wait. How can they be your favorite chef if you've never eaten their food? I'm submitting my own favorite, Chief O'Brien from Barrtra. He's magical.

http://barrtra.com/index.html

The 12 grain bread alone makes me want to hang up my apron, not that I wear an apron...
Barrtra sounds great, my local favorite is Hal Jardine from the Red Door. He works magic with salmon & i do eat Nigellas food.......i use her ideas in my kitchen all the time. That counts doesn't it?

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
Even though she was not a trained chef, I loved Julia Child. All of today's TV chefs owe their success in large part to her.

And if you're the kind who drools over cookbooks, you owe it to yourself to buy a copy of her Mastering the Art of French Cooking. I can sit and read that book for hours.

soleary

Registered
Reaction score
I'd have to go with Swedish Chef from the Muppets Show.

Or, in total honesty, Julia Child. She was the Chef Queen who reigned supreme!

cray

Superior Life form
Registered
Reaction score
Even though she was not a trained chef, I loved Julia Child. All of today's TV chefs owe their success in large part to her.

And if you're the kind who drools over cookbooks, you owe it to yourself to buy a copy of her Mastering the Art of French Cooking. I can sit and read that book for hours.

i just looked this up,.......it is 2 volumes!

jennontheisland

the world is at my command
Registered
Reaction score
Definitely Jamie Oliver. His show The Naked Chef was somewhat misleading in the title though....

I love his new show where he's out in the garden and cooking over fires or in his totally rustic looking kitchen. Nothing fussy or prissy about it, just real food.

Opposite end of the scale is Bobby Flay. I can't stand the guy. Sure, his food would taste good, but he's so pretentious about it. He does not belong on Iron Chef. Seriously, they gave him kobe beef and he made a philly cheesesteak sandwich!! WTF??

Sarita

carpe noctem
Registered
Reaction score
I love his new show where he's out in the garden and cooking over fires or in his totally rustic looking kitchen. Nothing fussy or prissy about it, just real food.
I love this show and the recipes are amazing. I've already tried a few of them. Great stuff.

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
I can't say that any of the TELEVISION chefs are my favorite since I've never actually EATEN their food.
I thought she was trained.

Did she predate Graham Kerr, the galloping gourmet?

I used to like that Naw'leans chef, Justin Wilson of Cajun Cookin. He passed away several years ago. He used to drawl, "I guarantee."