What am I gonna do?!

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
I think my dog is dying. She's crapping bloody stool everywhere and vomiting, despite the $1000 we've spent in the past two weeks on special tinned food, medication, and tests. I'm at my wit's end, having to clean up after her and the stench is terrible. All I do now is worry about her. She's lost so much weight her collar is looser.

I'm supposed to host a dinner party tonight. I was hoping she'd be better but this morning she had another "bout". I think I'll have to try to get hold of everyone and cancel. I was so looking forward to it.

Another horrible thing is that my dog has a brother. Her littermate, and I don't think he'll survive without her. Putting down Chloe is sure to mean the end for Teddy too. They'll be 13 on May 23rd, if they make it. Sigh.

Gehanna

Introvert
Registered
Reaction score
I am so sorry. :-(

Sincerely,
Gehanna

Gehanna

Introvert
Registered
Reaction score
Few things are as difficult as inner turmoil and having to face making such difficult choices. Whatever you decide to do, I know it will be done out of love. You and your dogs will be in my heart and on my mind today.

Sincerely,
Gehanna

WendyNYC

fiddle-dee-dee
Registered
Reaction score
I'm sorry about your dog, CaroGirl. It's a tough decision, but sometimes it's the only real option. I'll be thinking of you.

Little Red Barn

haz own threads
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Caro, I'm so sorry. :Hug2:

Do give her a little bit of cottage cheese for her upset stomach and try to reach your vet.

Last edited:

sheadakota

part of the human equation
Registered
Reaction score
oh, Caro- I can empathize- we put down our 13 year old Husky/Lab mix, Bear, last August, I still get teary eyed thinking about him, but I also smile now at all the love we shared in those 13 years. We all go into these relationships knowing we will be the one saying goodbye, but when the time comes, somehow we are never ready.
:Hug2:

Appalachian Writer

Somewhere in the hills....
Registered
Reaction score
I've had to put two dogs down within the last 5 years. It's a killer. I know how you feel. Lots of tears and lots of second guessing yourself. Did I do the right thing and all. Sounds like Chloe is suffering. Maybe Teddy will make it without her. Lots of love can work wonders. My very best to you and your family. I'm truly sorry.

czjaba

dreaming of the day...
Registered
Reaction score
Caro, :hugs: I'm so sorry about what you're going through.
I have a 10-year-old pomeranian and is considered our oldest daughter. She used to have seizures, so she knows our vet well, but still doesn't like him. Thankfully, she hasn't had a seizure in over 2 years, but the vet still checks her out from time to time. Anyway, the point is the first vet we took her to told us to put her down. He said it would be the most humane way to help her. The 2nd vet we went to started her on high doses of meds and gradually weaned her off meds altogether.
Bloody stool is cause for concern, but just make sure she isn't having a reaction to something she ate. I'd take her back to the vet. :hugs:

EriRae

:P
Registered
Reaction score
I am so sorry. This is never an easy time. Definitely, cancel the party, and do what you need to make it easier on you and the dog: special treats, lots of hugs, etc.

Komnena

In Honor of Peter Tomich,USS Utah
Registered
Reaction score
I'm sorry, Caro. It sounds like your dog had a very good life.

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
The husband wants to wait for the latest test results before we take her back to the vet. I plan to leave work by mid afternoon to check on her.

Thanks all.

BlackViolet13

Registered
Reaction score
Caro, I'm so sorry! And my heart breaks thinking about poor Teddy, too :(

Best wishes to all of you.

NeuroFizz

The grad students did it
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I can't say anything that hasn't been said upstream, so I'll just echo it all. You (and your dogs) are in my thoughts.

Last edited:

sandyn

AW Aficionado
Registered
Reaction score
Caro,

Hugs and prayers. I know what you're going through. We had to have our 15 year old Manda put down and it's been a little over a year now. We still miss her.

You'll know what's right when the time comes. Your dog is your baby and only you can know when to let go. I had to make a tough decision when a vet told me the only possible way for my kitty to survive was an operation that would leave her with a bag. I knew that was not a good life for her...

paprikapink

Bored fanatic
Registered
Reaction score
Website
paprikapink2.blogspot.com
We had to let our Belle go -- gee, I guess it's been three years now. Seems like yesterday. For weeks we'd been taking her back and forth to the vet. Tests, shots, treatments...she just declined. She stopped loving the car ride, stopped wagging her tailless bootie for the vet and all the technicians, clearly she was miserable. We finally decided we'd done all we could. That day, at the vet, all her joy and love returned. She greeted each tech and the vet with gladness. No treatments or procedures. Just one shot to grant her what she'd known all along she was ready for. She forgave us all that we'd put her through to "save" her. She was so much wiser than we were. I truly look at death, and life, with a different perspective now, thanks to Belle.

Chloe will let you know, Caro.

Mandy-Jane

venturing ever further into the unknown
Registered
Reaction score
I will complete a play this year! I will!
I'm very sorry for you Caro. I also know how it feels. We put our 18 year old dog down. It was very hard, but definitely for the best. I still think of her and sometimes cry. That was 25 years ago.

I'm thinking of you.