PDA

View Full Version : I met Ray Bradbury!

LilaDubois
05-02-2008, 11:56 AM
I'm just so excited I had to share.

My Master's class (a fiction writing workshop class) had dinner with Ray Bradbury. It was amazing. He was very inspiring, saying you must be what you love, be what you write. He's very elderly, but still very talkative and entertaining.

AND HE KISSED ME ON THE CHEEK! I'm never washing my face again! (Ahem, sorry.)

He was very encouraging, and reminded us that writers drive publishing, movies, and TV. Publishing says they are looking for certain things, but you create the next thing, not them, so don't be afraid to write things that are different and new.

Most of all he said you need love. You must write what you love, and love what you write and become what it is you love.

Just thought I'd share that.

Shweta
05-02-2008, 12:36 PM
That's awesome, Lila! Thank you for sharing :)

HeronW
05-02-2008, 01:26 PM
That RB must be 90 something. Not too many of the giants left...

Smiling Ted
05-02-2008, 02:15 PM
That RB must be 90 something. Not too many of the giants left...

That's true. Most important writers today tend to be 5'6" and under. Whereas Heinlein was 6'2"; and Asimov, of course, was at least seven feet, especially when wearing his orthotics.

Vincent
05-02-2008, 03:52 PM
That is all kinds of fantastic, Lila. Very, very cool.

sheadakota
05-02-2008, 04:35 PM
OMG- I want to touch your cheek-

WriteKnight
05-02-2008, 04:59 PM
I attended a lecture he did in Houston, must have been ten years ago. Afterwards, he did a signing. I stood in line... trying to think of something witty to say, or something 'original' ... something he hadn't heard.

I finally got to the front and handed him my faded copy of "Dandelion Wine." Everyone else had handed him new copies of his latest book, or Farenheit 451.

He looked at the dog-eared copy, then at me - and gave me the biggest smile - I was speechless. He signed the flysheet and I was gone.

Still one of my prized possesions.

I can only imagine what dinner must have been like. You are truly blessed to have spent the time with him. Treasure the memories.

Phaeal
05-02-2008, 05:55 PM
Fahrenheit 451 opened my eyes, many years ago.

Thanks, Ray!

You've been touched by greatness.

mscelina
05-02-2008, 06:02 PM
How fantastic! And what a great memory to use when you're feeling discouraged.

Ken
05-02-2008, 06:08 PM
What Shweta, HeronW, Smiling Ted, beezle, sheadakota, WriteKnight, Phaeal, and mscelina said.

inkkognito
05-02-2008, 06:17 PM
OMG, OMG, OMG!!! He is my absolute favorite author of all time! Many, many years ago I wrote him a letter, and he responded with a letter and movie poster for "Something Wicked This Way Comes" in a big purple envelope on which he had drawn doodles in silver. I still have it carefully put away, and every now and then I take it out for inspiration. He is such a wonderful, talented, intelligent, gracious man. I can't even imagine the awe of meeting him in person!

Lyra Jean
05-02-2008, 07:43 PM
I'm so jealous. Wow that must have been a wonderful experience for you. Congratulations.

LilaDubois
05-02-2008, 08:33 PM
He also spoke at the Los Angeles Time Festival of Books last weekend (my professor is the person who introduced him) and Mr. Bradbury says he plans to keynote the Santa Barbara Writers conference and speak at the festival next year, if anyone wants to hear him speak.

I woke up with a big smile on my face, super excited to write, and I've realized that I feel like I regained my power and control over writing. I'm in agent submission hell, and I feel like I’ve completely lost control of everything, but I haven’t. As long as I love writing, I haven’t.

Enough epiphanies for the morning, time to write.

BlueLucario
05-02-2008, 08:43 PM
Nice! I met Stephen Kiing

alleycat
05-03-2008, 01:06 AM
I'd say that's one experience you will never forget in your life.

JoNightshade
05-03-2008, 01:56 AM
Ray Bradbury is totally my writing hero. I met him last year when he came up to give a little talk at a local... er, art studio or something. Anyway he was met with a huge crowd yelling and screaming. (There's a thread around here somewhere where I do my total fangirl crush thing.)

ANYWAY that is so cool, I wouldn't wash my cheek, either. :)