PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else single?

bluejester12
05-02-2008, 04:39 AM
I'm 35, never been married.

I'm so tired of this crap and, seriously, I'm too old for this ****. http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/images/smilies/motu/HEangry.gif I wish I hadn't bought her flowers for her birthday.

"I have to tell you, I am such a chicken **** for anything that is awkward or uncomfortable. I really wanted to tell you this in person, and I'm sorry for doing this over email. I think you are a nice guy (really nice, blow away nice, can't believe you would offer to help me move) but, I'm really very sorry. I'm still in a head space where I'm still talking about my ex, a lot, and that really rude to you, and doesn't make me the most happy positive person, and I want to be happy and positive, that's why I left him. My family has told me that they think I shouldn't date for a while either, so I'm also going to take their advice. Plus I am always super busy and constantly have to rearrange my schedule to accommodate all the things I cram into it. (Work is like a speed car on the raceway, constantly changing gears, especially with the 2 charities we volunteered to help with, and then I tutor 2 nights a week, and have a softball team that I just joined 6 weeks ago, plans with my family, and my new super needy roommate who only got a roommate so he could have company and a friend.) My life is a zoo, and I'm not stable right now, and, I'm really sorry.

Nice guys don't finish last. I'm not the right girl for you. At least not right now. I'm sorry. "

-Meg

Siddow
05-02-2008, 04:46 AM
She's right.

When I was 'between marriages' (lol! now that's a term!), one of my first questions for a fellow had to do with length of time since the last serious. Minimum requirement: one year.

Congrats. You just saved yourself some time for the next one. Enjoy!

SpookyWriter
05-02-2008, 04:52 AM
She's right.

When I was 'between marriages' (lol! now that's a term!), one of my first questions for a fellow had to do with length of time since the last serious. Minimum requirement: one year.

Congrats. You just saved yourself some time for the next one. Enjoy!
Try eight years. :roll:

poetinahat
05-02-2008, 04:57 AM
I dunno. I always found that if someone says "now is just not the right time", there never will be a 'right time' for them. People either find a reason to say 'yes', or they find a reason to say 'no'. If the relationship always comes last in the calculations, then it's not a relationship you want to be in. Relationships come first; hence, there's always time for one.

Good luck, Blue. She's out there somewhere. Keep going.

WildScribe
05-02-2008, 05:14 AM
My husband said "Not right now" when I asked him out, but he came back the next day and told me that he was an idiot, so it all worked out.

This might sound odd, but I am having the same issues with my own dating life right now. I'm polyamorous, so if you don't know what that means, feel free to read my blog and find out. Basically, dating just frickin' sucks.

Siddow
05-02-2008, 05:16 AM
Try eight years. :roll:

It was the tens-to-lifes that bothered me.

Appalachian Writer
05-02-2008, 05:17 AM
The general rule of thumb between divorce and serious relationship that WORKS is about three years. Most people try to jump right in with both feet immediately after a divorce or separation. If you fall victim to someone who is doing just that...you'll inevitably be sorry. Question? Did she hint that she needed someone to help her move? Sometimes people are truly manipulative beasties!

Silver King
05-02-2008, 05:38 AM
I'm not an expert, but I don't think there is ever a "set" time to meet someone special. It could happen the day after you break up with a person, or a month or years later. It might even happen while you're serious about someone else.

Whatever the case, unless you can predict the future, keep your options open for future romance. Always. In the OPs case, I feel time is not of the essence.

akiwiguy
05-02-2008, 05:44 AM
I wish I hadn't bought her flowers for her birthday.

Why? Don't ever stop doing that stuff on the basis of perceived rejection.

DWSTXS
05-02-2008, 05:44 AM
I'm 2 years divorced. My ex and I are best friends now.
But, I hate being single.

I'd just as soon skip the dating and get married again.

wyntermoon
05-02-2008, 05:46 AM
I'm with the fish. I met my husband four days after breaking free from a relationship. We're going on fifteen years this fall.

It's all timing, my friend, don't rush it. :)

LIVIN
05-02-2008, 05:58 AM
I think most of that email are excuses for you two just not being right for each other. Don't sweat it. Better to move on now then later, I suppose. Also, 35's young!

Jcomp
05-02-2008, 06:02 AM
Just gotta move on fam. There are lots and lots and lots of women out there. Don't stress it.

maestrowork
05-02-2008, 06:08 AM
Jcomp is right. Move on. It didn't work out. So get bummed out for a week, then go out and meet someone. I also gotta agree with akiwiguy -- I don't think we can always calculate what we give and take based on whether the courtship will be successful or not. So it didn't work out, by why "no soup for you"? Seems a bit bitter.

Brutal Mustang
05-02-2008, 06:09 AM
I'm with the single crowd! My excuse is that I just don't get out enough!:D

Silver King
05-02-2008, 06:39 AM
I wasn't going to mention it, AGAIN, but I met my wife a couple of weeks before I was engaged to marry someone else. Everything was set. It wasn't a big affair, but when it was called off, it stirred enough of a ruckus that it caused some serious consternation between well meaning people.

At the time, I didn't care what anyone thought. And I still don't. I love my babe. :)

SPMiller
05-02-2008, 06:51 AM
All I can say is, nothing gets you over the last one like the next one.

Or, failing that, a string of meaningless one-night stands! :D Reminds you that you've still got game, and all that.

Brutal Mustang
05-02-2008, 06:54 AM
All I can say is, nothing gets you over the last one like the next one.

LOL!

ZannaPerry
05-02-2008, 07:00 AM
i am single and it's sucking.

slcboston
05-02-2008, 07:01 AM
Why? Don't ever stop doing that stuff on the basis of perceived rejection.

Agreed. Besides, sometimes it's the little things that get them to realize you're worth holding onto.

And sometimes they stomp all over your heart. Sucks, but true. Thirty-five isn't old, and in some ways having always been single can be a blessing. You aren't carrying the past baggage of having been through a "failed" marriage... and may I safely assume you have no kids to worry about either?

You've got years, and you sound like a nice guy. (I'm not gay, though, so no help to you there. :D ) Keep at it, and you will eventually find someone.

Or else you'll give up and join a monastary. Either way. :D

kristie911
05-02-2008, 07:08 AM
Gosh...I like being single. I've been divorced for just about a year and a half and I like it. I've been on one date and it was okay. I tend to like my space so I'm glad to not be sharing it with anyone...except my son, of course...he doesn't take up much room! :)

SPMiller
05-02-2008, 07:11 AM
There's one, and only one, bad thing about being single:

The absence of another body in the bed on some nights.

Why do we get so attached to that? I dunno.

lastlight
05-02-2008, 07:47 AM
Ok, here's a question about being single for a certain of period of time.

Situation:
A guy tells a girl that he's been loosing sleep over her for a year. (Even when he promised he was a friend only) The girl falls for the guy. But, she uses good sense and puts on her breaks. Thus, stopping the relationship before it even really started. Which was a good idea, because he ended up being a liar. So, she feels really bad about loosing a close friend and goes into depression for a good while.

Within two weeks of the "break-up" he's "In A Relationship" with someone. Girl takes it as closure and moves on. (Somewhat anyways)

So, here's the question: Was that appropriate of the guy?

I think it was harsh. After what he told the girl and how he felt and how she felt (and so on and so forth), and then POOF! He suddenly has someone new?

Jersey Chick
05-02-2008, 07:52 AM
My mother gave me the best advice ever about "the one" -

Do you see yourself waking up with XXX five years from now, or just waking up with someone five years from now?

I met Jersey Guy when I'd come out of an engagement and sworn off dating anyone exclusively. He and I were just casual - for about 2 weeks. We've been together 14 years and married for 11 of them.

It happens when you least expect it and when you're pretty sure you don't want it. Stop looking, stop worrying, and you never know.....

ETA - If you're the type who likes to do things like give flowers, don't stop. Someone out there will appreciate it, and you for doing it. Promise.

bluejester12
05-02-2008, 09:06 AM
It happens when you least expect it and when you're pretty sure you don't want it. Stop looking, stop worrying, and you never know.....

That works a LOT more for women. Men are the ones expected/conditioned to do the asking and intiating. Not that women don't , but far fewer do then men.

And isn't that contrary to the belief "If you want something, you have to work/go get it?"

kct webber
05-02-2008, 09:12 AM
Ok, here's a question about being single for a certain of period of time.

Situation:
A guy tells a girl that he's been loosing sleep over her for a year. (Even when he promised he was a friend only) The girl falls for the guy. But, she uses good sense and puts on her breaks. Thus, stopping the relationship before it even really started. Which was a good idea, because he ended up being a liar. So, she feels really bad about loosing a close friend and goes into depression for a good while.

Within two weeks of the "break-up" he's "In A Relationship" with someone. Girl takes it as closure and moves on. (Somewhat anyways)

I think it was harsh. After what he told the girl and how he felt and how she felt (and so on and so forth), and then POOF! He suddenly has someone new?

If she 'stopped the relationship' as you say, why should he wait around? My brother is going through something that sounds similar in a way. His "girlfriend" keeps saying "we need to stand back for a while. We need to see other people. I'm not sure what I want." So then he goes on a date with someone else, and she goes freak-jealous. I just don't get it. If a woman doesn't want the relationship, why get upset when the guy goes about his business and leaves her out of it?

LIVIN
05-02-2008, 09:54 AM

It's perfectly appropriate. I'm not going to tell someone they can't be in a relationship, even if it's hours later, if they find the one. That's all I have to say about that.

akiwiguy
05-02-2008, 10:39 AM
That works a LOT more for women. Men are the ones expected/conditioned to do the asking and intiating. Not that women don't , but far fewer do then men.

And isn't that contrary to the belief "If you want something, you have to work/go get it?"

I think "looking for" in terms of dating and hoping to find a good partner you're right. Putting yourself in the frame so to say, and not sitting alone hoping it will magically happen.

But I find the "looking for a man" type mentality a bit creepy. I've met people like that, who almost seem to be looking for ANY partner. Predatory almost.

A friend was saying they heard this bit of advice given to a youngish guy by an elderly relative... "You might not know it, but you're a hell of lot happier now not being with the one you want to spend the rest of your life with, than you'd be spending your rest of your life with the one you don't want to be with."

oswann
05-02-2008, 11:24 AM
The general rule of thumb between divorce and serious relationship that WORKS is about three years.

What bollocks. I don't know what android population you tested this theory on before coming up with these results but this is the type of thing which rattles around in people's heads and stops them from going out and meeting other people.

Don't compare yourself to anyone else or any other situation bluejester. You are you. The simple answer is if you feel ready, do your best and the universality of human kindness eventually pays.

Good luck,

Os.

Jo
05-02-2008, 11:41 AM

*jumps on board with SK, wynter and Jersey*

I was actually enjoying being single when I met my future hubby. Party, party, party! The day after he broke from a lengthy relationship, we hit it off. I happily agreed to "give him time" before (maybe) getting involved, and that lasted... um... one day. We couldn't stay away from each other. We both flirted and talked through the early hours, and fell instantly in love (which was kinda scary). He popped "the question" four months later. We've now been together for almost nineteen years; married for seventeen.

As they say, it takes two to tango. All it took for me was mutual attraction. And as Jersey Chick said, it really can happen when you least expect it.

ErylRavenwell
05-02-2008, 11:49 AM
Nice guys don't finish last. I'm not the right girl for you. At least not right now. I'm sorry. "

-Meg

Let me translate: "Nice guys always finish last. You're not the right guy for me. Not now, not ever. I really don't give a flying fvck."

I suggest you call her back and put her back in her rightful place.

This "I'm sorry" would have driven me nuts, really.

Voyager
05-02-2008, 11:57 AM
Let me translate: "Nice guys always finish last. You're not the right guy for me. Not now, not ever. I really don't give a flying fvck."

I suggest you call her back and put her back in her rightful place.

This "I'm sorry" would have driven me nuts, really.And the fact that she did it via email; what a tit. You should have helped her move by emailing her a list of where she could buy packing tape and a dolly.

kct webber
05-02-2008, 12:54 PM
And the fact that she did it via email; what a tit. You should have helped her move by emailing her a list of where she could buy packing tape and a dolly.

I know, right? Email, for god's sake? Who breaks it off via Email?

HeronW
05-02-2008, 01:34 PM
If it doesn't feel right, forcing a relationship isn't going to work. Sometimes 'wanting' propels the myth of whatever and 'having' destroys it.

More than sharing a drink at some bar, share time in a park with pets, in a community cleanup, in a charity event, in something that shows a similar system of values vs: I like the BeeGees too.

Mandy-Jane
05-02-2008, 01:57 PM

I know someone who broke off their wedding by email three weeks before the big day! Ugh!

Smiling Ted
05-02-2008, 02:00 PM

Precisely.
E-mail, phone, Post-It...anything to avoid a little unpleasantness.
And all those mealy-mouthed excuses.

This girl is a weasel. Don't waste any time on her, she doesn't deserve it.

kct webber
05-02-2008, 02:02 PM
I know someone who broke off their wedding by email three weeks before the big day! Ugh!

Madness! Madness, I say! But then, I drove from Savannah Georgia to Upstate NY so I wouldn't have to break up with a woman over the phone. That's about 24 hour drive, if I remember correctly.

Broadswordbabe
05-02-2008, 03:25 PM
I'm sorry this has happened. No, it wasn't a good way to do it, but I think she probably did the best thing she could at the time.

(I admit, I did once break up with someone by email but that's because I was scared of him and wanted to keep well out of reach. Doesn't sound like that's what's happening here).

Chin up, and don't stop buying flowers, 'kay? It's nice. Girls like it. I do, anyway.

Maybe we should have an AW dating thread. Seriously. I mean, personally, I get on best with other writers and almost all the ones I know are coupled up...

lakotagirl
05-02-2008, 04:21 PM
I am sorry you had to go through that.

I think that what is supposed to happen will happen best if we just let life take care of itself. When we try to second guess or make things happen, problems can pop up.

I was divorced for nine years when I met my husband. Wasn't dating. When I partied, I partied with my brother so that I didn't have to be the 'single girl at the bar'. I had absolutely no interest in marriage. I LIKE to be alone.

When my husband started pursuing me, I didn't even know that he was interested in ME. I knew him. He was a friend of my ex. I knew that he was recently divorced and that he was an absolutely fabulous guy.

So, I started setting him up with my girlfriends. Every Friday night, he would show up and I would introduce him to a new friend (thinking eventually he would find someone he liked). He would buy them drinks all night and be polite, but they always left alone.

I had run out of girlfriends when one of them pulled me off to the side and said "HE'S HERE TO SEE YOU."

He could easily have fallen for another girl. I was certainly pushing him. And, he SHOULD have given up and gone away because even when I agreed to go out with him, I insisted that I didn't want a boyfriend. But I liked his company.

Sometimes you just gotta give a relationship time to grow. Less than a year after shoving girls under his nose, I was ready to brawl with any that smiled in his direction.

When you don't look for love. When you don't WANT or NEED it, it will find you.

kristie911
05-02-2008, 05:16 PM
So, I started setting him up with my girlfriends. Every Friday night, he would show up and I would introduce him to a new friend (thinking eventually he would find someone he liked). He would buy them drinks all night and be polite, but they always left alone.

I had run out of girlfriends when one of them pulled me off to the side and said "HE'S HERE TO SEE YOU."

Thanks for sharing this Lakota...it made me giggle outloud. Don't you love the moments when we realize we've been totally dense? :roll: :D

Jcomp
05-02-2008, 05:16 PM
I'm just curious, how long had you two been seeing each other?

C.bronco
05-02-2008, 05:25 PM

Nah.

If you are enjoying yourself and doing things that you are excited about, you are sure to meet someone. It usually happens when you really don't want to get into a relationship.

Go do stuff that you like with no expectations about meeting women. It's win/win.

JimmyB27
05-02-2008, 05:32 PM
I'm *always* single. I'm the most perpetually single person I know.

:(

James81
05-02-2008, 05:34 PM
I got a reading suggestion for you.

"No More Mr. Nice Guy" by Robert Glover

James81
05-02-2008, 05:39 PM
Oh and I'm single again (been single-ish for about 18 months now).

For the first year or so of it, I felt really paranoid being single again. I felt like I had to rush right out there and find someone again or people would think I was some kind of weird freak.

Now? I am absolutely LOVING the single life and the freedom that comes with it. I am fanatically happy about where my life is headed. I've finally figured out that loving MYSELF and my own life FIRST is the most important thing to do before looking for someone to share that life with.

Now that I am in that place, I feel more "ready" to start dating more again. It's a good place to be.

I say all that to say this...if you are upset about being single, then learn NOT to be. Learn to love yourself FIRST and to embrace life with everything you've got FIRST, THEN start thinking about dating seriously.

The meaning of life is to live it...so go live. Let girlfriends (or boyfriends) be an added bonus to an already fantastic life.

Brutal Mustang
05-02-2008, 05:41 PM
I'm *always* single. I'm the most perpetually single person I know.

:(

Not likely!:D

NeuroFizz
05-02-2008, 06:09 PM
Single? I don't think I've ever totally resorbed that vestigial twin that resides somewhere near my limbic system...

JimmyB27
05-02-2008, 06:10 PM
Not likely!:D
Why not?

EriRae
05-02-2008, 06:26 PM
Bluejester, be you. Do things you like to do. Go places you like to go. Try things you've always wanted to try. You'll find the girl you're looking for when you start loving what you do. Give love to the world, and the world will give love back to you.

Jersey Chick
05-02-2008, 06:27 PM

Yep - love's weird that way. I think it's because people who search give off some sort of vibe. Most of the truly happy couples I know came together when they least expected or wanted it. That's what makes it so damn fun... or not :D

lakotagirl
05-02-2008, 07:50 PM
Don't you love the moments when we realize we've been totally dense?

I'm never dense..... I'm just 'tupid.

I love making mistakes. It makes for a really interesting life.

lakotagirl
05-02-2008, 08:01 PM
I'm going to say what many here have said - only I'm going to try to say it in a different way.

We keep hearing "Stop looking and let love find you."

Think of it from a perspective 'love's' angle. (I will be your 'love')

I'm out having a good time. I see a guy and, since I'm always looking for new friends, I talk to him. I like him. I really like him. We spend some time together. He's everything that I like in a man.

But, I notice that he's always just a little anxious.

The more time I spend with him, the more uncomfortable I become. I really can't put my finger on the problem. I just know that he's not as fun as I would like. He tries too hard to please me. He seems afraid to make mistakes....

I'm breaking it off right now. I don't want to spend time around someone who makes me less than 100% comfortable. I don't care how much he loves me. I owe him only what I promised him (and I never promise very much).

However ---
If that same person simply took life day by day and enjoyed what he did without worrying if I was happy, I would move heaven and hell to keep that person in my life.

jennifer75
05-02-2008, 08:02 PM
and I'm not stable right now,

-Meg

That was and is all you should need to read. If she can SAY THAT you don't want to get involved.

JimmyB27
05-02-2008, 08:04 PM
That was and is all you should need to read. If she can SAY THAT you don't want to get involved.
Are you kidding me? From my experience, women are *never* stable.

*Runs for the hills.*

Jersey Chick
05-02-2008, 08:17 PM
That's why we're so damn irresistable! :D

jennifer75
05-02-2008, 08:28 PM
We're unstable because our "rocks" are not the smooth surfaces we need them to be. Stable, get it...stable????

NeuroFizz
05-02-2008, 09:01 PM
Nothing better
smooths the roughness
of original rock
than the hot zephyr
of a woman

paprikapink
05-02-2008, 09:25 PM
my rules of thumb:
when breaking up, don't try to make the other person still like you. have the guts and the decency to allow them to despise you, dislike you, resent you, whatever it takes for them to not feel eternally sad or strung along. be concise, don't over-explain why you want to break up. they'll either want to argue, or they'll believe you and feel bad about themselves. try not to giggle (this, i think, is a problem unique to me. most folks can skip this one, or maybe replace it with try not to cry).

when being broken up with, don't quibble over how it was done, which words were said, what medium used. face it: your feelings are hurt, right now everything's going to piss you off. briefly acknowledge that you got the message, disregard any "explanations" or offers to "just be friends" and move on. you might still be friends, but wait till later for that. go ahead and cry if you want to. don't tell them "you'll never find another love like mine" or "you're making the biggest mistake of your life" -- you are not a fortune-teller. if you had good times together, be glad you did. a good time is a stand-alone good thing. it doesn't have to aggregate into anything to have been worthwhile.

maestrowork
05-02-2008, 09:27 PM
I know the kind of rocks they really want:

http://www.solarnavigator.net/history/explorers_history/diamond_brillanten.jpg

KikiteNeko
05-02-2008, 10:21 PM
lmao.. I'm 23 and single. My last boyfriend broke up with me in a text message. Actually, the text message was "give me my sweater you dirty cu*t" and we never spoke again. Which is why I am no longer bummed out about not having a boyfriend.

KikiteNeko
05-02-2008, 10:21 PM
I think diamonds are obnoxious.

I know the kind of rocks they really want:

http://www.solarnavigator.net/history/explorers_history/diamond_brillanten.jpg

Siddow
05-02-2008, 10:29 PM

Me, too, except for when they're HUGE! :D

maestrowork
05-02-2008, 10:35 PM

That's the point.

Brutal Mustang
05-03-2008, 04:38 AM
Why not?

Because no matter what extreme you are, there is always someone more extreme than you. Don't know how that law works. It just does.:D

Don Allen
05-03-2008, 05:04 AM
I've been around 4-5 couples that have broke up in the last two years or so, and the common thread in the eyes of al the participants has been: "He never understood me, or she only thought of herself, (no particular order here) It seems to me that there's just so much selfishness in relationships these days that nobody thinks about the other person, there so worried about how their getting dissed. It's sad... It's one of the things about the new century that I don't care much for....

akiwiguy
05-03-2008, 05:37 AM
lmao.. I'm 23 and single. My last boyfriend broke up with me in a text message. Actually, the text message was "give me my sweater you dirty cu*t" and we never spoke again. Which is why I am no longer bummed out about not having a boyfriend.

Jeeez, I hope you're not still single on the basis of that guy, because it is not exactly typical of how normal people communicate their feelings. That's plain disgusting.

soleary
05-03-2008, 05:38 AM
Um, What do you mean by "single"?

:)

Brutal Mustang
05-03-2008, 05:45 AM
I've been around 4-5 couples that have broke up in the last two years or so, and the common thread in the eyes of al the participants has been: "He never understood me, or she only thought of herself, (no particular order here) It seems to me that there's just so much selfishness in relationships these days that nobody thinks about the other person, there so worried about how their getting dissed. It's sad... It's one of the things about the new century that I don't care much for....

Yes! Yes! Yes! The selfishness.

I think people fail to understand that marriage won't always be about making them happy. It will also try them, test them, put them under the fire ... you know, make them a better person.

I believe 98% of the time, marriage, even a bad marriage, will make someone a better person (Britney Spears marriage to Justin Timber lake doesn't count. In fact, celeb marriages are probably such failures compared to the average person's because they cannot grasp the part of marriage that isn't always happy; they're so used to everything being centered around themselves and their happiness ... but I'm starting to ramble off topic here).

Anyhow, if I ever get married, I kinda look forward to the part that will make me a better person, even though it won't be fun.

Storm Dream
05-03-2008, 07:20 AM
Single. Totally single.

I even made a New Year's resolution to stay single this year after breaking up in December.

I do generally enjoy the single life. Do what I want, don't have to worry about not flirting with a cute guy or cooking dinner or...maintenance... (you ladies all know what I speak of!)...I have good friends and mostly it's all good.

Lately, though, I've realized I miss that special companionship. Or at least the prospect of it. I figure it'll come around again one of these days...I'm on good terms with my ex, which complicates things a little.

I like to think that things just work out on their own, y'know? Makes me feel lot better.

Jersey Chick
05-03-2008, 08:07 AM
I prefer these stones:

http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb134/JerseyChick71/250px-Tanzanite_cut.jpg

Tanzanite, baby :D

Matera the Mad
05-03-2008, 08:13 AM
Always been, always will be. :D

RLB
05-03-2008, 08:18 AM

I never thought I liked diamonds, until my husband got on his knee with a nice, sparkly one. It's still the only diamond I have, but I do love it.

I recently heard at a wedding where the pastor said the best advice he could possibly think of to give to both partners in a marriage was "It is better to give than receive." I liked that.

kristie911
05-03-2008, 09:17 AM
I believe 98% of the time, marriage, even a bad marriage, will make someone a better person (Britney Spears marriage to Justin Timber lake doesn't count.

I spent 9 years in a bad marriage. I'm a better person now that I'm divorced. The only good thing about the marriage was that I got my son out of it. Otherwise, it made me not such a good person most of the time.

Brutal Mustang
05-03-2008, 10:13 AM
I spent 9 years in a bad marriage. I'm a better person now that I'm divorced. The only good thing about the marriage was that I got my son out of it. Otherwise, it made me not such a good person most of the time.

So sorry to hear that!

But I bet you learned from that marriage, and have become a more mature person because of it ... even if it brought out the worst in you while it was happening. Being with the right person would have been better for you, but would you really call those years a total loss? Didn't the marriage teach you anything? A lesson perhaps, which took you nine years to learn? (I know It's taken me years to learn certain things. :e2hammer:)

What I'm saying is that when you're single, you have the luxury of being more self-centered; your yogurt stays where you put it, your plans revolve only around you, you only have to worry about your pets, you only have to worry about only your mental issues, and you have to worry only about your family members getting on your nerves, among other things. You don't have to worry about his/her life getting in your way. It's all about you.

In many cultures, a person isn't considered a "grown up" until they marry, and I suspect that is because marriage does indeed force us to mature a bit.

bluejester12
05-04-2008, 04:32 AM
I dont get whats so special about being single, unless you have friends to hang out with. My friends all are in relationships or are busy with work/jobs. About every new person in meet falls under one of the two.

I'm a good guy, just no charisma. *shrugs*. If I werent' a nice guy, at least I'd be happy going to a bar and scoring for one night. Dont feel right doing that.

maestrowork
05-04-2008, 04:39 AM
But I bet you learned from that marriage, and have become a more mature person because of it

Sorry, you don't need a marriage to be a better person. And I think some people become nastier after they're in a relationship -- it can bring out the worst in some people.

I know you mean well, but honestly marriage is not for everyone. Just like parenthood. Some people should put a rubber over themselves and stay out of having kids.

Bravo
05-04-2008, 04:43 AM
i dont know you and i dont know how comfortable you are with meeting new people and being spontaneous and off the cuff, but i think that even if you're an introvert you can be proactive about meeting someone.

maybe join an internet dating site, some local writers groups, an intramural coed sports team, something like that. love might come when you least expect it to, but it helps if you position yourself to find opportunities. where'd you meet this woman you were with? you obviously grabbed her from somewhere.

so chin up i guess. and good luck.

p.s. i'm single too so um maybe i don't know what the heck i'm talking about. wouldnt be the first time.

paprikapink
05-04-2008, 05:19 AM
[...] If I werent' a nice guy, at least I'd be happy going to a bar and scoring for one night. Dont feel right doing that.

You might want to consider that "scoring for one night" between two consenting adults doesn't make either person not nice. It's 2008; you don't have to promise a girl that you're going to marry her, or even go to her next office party, to get her to go to bed with you. She might just enjoy it for its own sake.

[I'm not advising this practice; I'm just saying it's not about a guy being nice.]

kct webber
05-04-2008, 09:18 AM
I recently heard at a wedding where the pastor said the best advice he could possibly think of to give to both partners in a marriage was "It is better to give than receive." I liked that.

A really interesting piece of advice that I heard: It is less important to find the right person than to be the right person.

ErylRavenwell
05-04-2008, 09:58 AM
If I werent' a nice guy, at least I'd be happy going to a bar and scoring for one night. Dont feel right doing that.

If being nice means no picking up chicks at bars for a one-nighter, then I'm prolly the meanest son of a gun ever...Or is it that I'm a good boy these days? :D

Brutal Mustang
05-04-2008, 08:39 PM
Sorry, you don't need a marriage to be a better person. And I think some people become nastier after they're in a relationship -- it can bring out the worst in some people.

I know you mean well, but honestly marriage is not for everyone. Just like parenthood. Some people should put a rubber over themselves and stay out of having kids.

I never said marriage is for everybody ... gosh, I hope nobody marries some people I know. I'm just saying that for the average, decent person, it does mature them a bit, more than they were before (not comparing them to another person, just their self).

SPMiller
05-04-2008, 08:47 PM
I dont get whats so special about being single, unless you have friends to hang out with. My friends all are in relationships or are busy with work/jobs. About every new person in meet falls under one of the two.

I'm a good guy, just no charisma. *shrugs*. If I werent' a nice guy, at least I'd be happy going to a bar and scoring for one night. Dont feel right doing that.
While some people do clam up and withdraw from society after landing an 8-to-5 and a wife, I know a few guys who will still come out for beer on the weekends.

I'm worried about your self-description as a Nice Guy. I hope that isn't synonymous with Doormat. But, of course, only you know the truth of this situation.

mirrorkisses
05-04-2008, 11:03 PM
I've been "pretty much" single for a very long time. I have a hard time meeting men who want a serious relationship, and I have a hard time waiting for sex, because I am a girl that really. likes. sex. I just have a very hard time waiting, which causes the relationship to end before it starts.

The last guy I was involved with was my best friend, whom I've been best friends for about 12 years now. But he has a girlfriend, and we both felt a lot of guilt over everything that went on during a span of 6 months. I'm not someone that would usually get involved with a guy that has a girlfriend (definitely not a married man!), but I was led to believe that he was going to end it soon. When she tried to end it, he convinced her to stay with him, and I got really angry about it. So we're back to just friends again.

There is a man that I still talk to, that I have been slightly involved with for a while now, but I think I just talk to him because I have no one else to talk to. Not a good reason, but neither of us are interested in a relationship, just physical. I could never date this guy. It just would not work.

I think that I don't have a boyfriend right now because I am not in a situation to meet anyone, not because I can't get one. I used to take prednisone for an illness I had, and was very chubby. I'm over it now and look fantastic (and back to my normal weight--104 lbs.), and I know I could get a boyfriend if I really tried at it, but considering my financial situation, I can't really go out, so I'm not meeting anyone.

mirrorkisses
05-04-2008, 11:09 PM
If being nice means no picking up chicks at bars for a one-nighter, then I'm prolly the meanest son of a gun ever...Or is it that I'm a good boy these days? :D

It only makes you a jerk if you make the girl think it's anything else than a one-night stand, or if it's obvious that she's interested in more.

SpookyWriter
05-04-2008, 11:12 PM
Well you could always go out and let the gents buy you a couple cocktails. Or visit us in the drunk thread if you can't leave the house.

mirrorkisses
05-04-2008, 11:15 PM
Well you could always go out and let the gents buy you a couple cocktails. Or visit us in the drunk thread if you can't leave the house.

I'm not into the bar scene anymore. I'm one of those women who is "ready" to marry and settle down, so I'm more interested in meeting men who aren't looking to hookup.

Ain't no thang. It'll happen when it happens.

SpookyWriter
05-04-2008, 11:17 PM
I'm not into the bar scene anymore. I'm one of those women who is "ready" to marry and settle down, so I'm more interested in meeting men who aren't looking to hookup.

Ain't no thang. It'll happen when it happens.So much for our future. :D I was into the "just love sex" and now you've gone and ruined my fantasy.

mirrorkisses
05-04-2008, 11:19 PM
ha! yes, it seems like a contradiction, but there are women who love sex that also want marriage!

SPMiller
05-04-2008, 11:23 PM
It only makes you a jerk if you make the girl think it's anything else than a one-night stand, or if it's obvious that she's interested in more.
Yeah, that's one way of putting it. You could be more explicit, and say that some girls want and enjoy one-night stands. Guys aren't the only ones who like NSA sex.

So, to bluejester: you can feel free to indulge in this play, provided that you're honest with yourself and your partners. You aren't revoking your Nice Guy badge in so doing, although I question its value and meaning in the first place...

Jersey Chick
05-05-2008, 12:02 AM
Oh, absolutely - as long as you aren't lying to her and making all kinds of promises just to get her into bed. I say, if you're both on the same page, why not? Doesn't make you a jerk.

mirrorkisses
05-05-2008, 12:33 AM
Yeah, that's one way of putting it. You could be more explicit, and say that some girls want and enjoy one-night stands. Guys aren't the only ones who like NSA sex.

That's what I was implying. I knew a man who led me to believe that something was going to happen after our encounter (who I was also sort-of involved with a few years ago), to the point where I asked him directly if we could see where it could go, and then he never called me back, and since avoids me when we see each other at shows.

Now that's a jerk.

But if the woman is wanting a one-night stand, then you both are getting what you want.

SpookyWriter
05-05-2008, 12:39 AM
ha! yes, it seems like a contradiction, but there are women who love sex that also want marriage!:roll: Sorry, but sex before marriage is never going to get better with a ring.

mirrorkisses
05-05-2008, 12:47 AM
I never said it would. I'm just done fooling around. :)

SPMiller
05-05-2008, 12:58 AM
I never said it would. I'm just done fooling around. :)
You'll feel differently a few years in ;)

nerds
05-05-2008, 12:59 AM
Who the hell wants to know?

I am, and the more time goes by the better I like it. Here's the most recent Unfortunate Possible-Dating Encounter from, uh, last week as a matter of fact:

Guy Who Has Known Me Ten Minutes:
Want to go to dinner?

Me: I'm not dating right now but thank you.

GWHKMTM: Well. It's just DINNER. Not trying to get you INTO BED OR ANYTHING.

Me: Okay, well, I never said that. I'm enjoying not dating right now. (Which I am. Enjoying.)

GWHKMTM: That can't be possible.

Me: (blood pressure spiking just a tad) - All my life I've been somebody's daughter, sibling, wife, girlfriend, mother. This is the first time I have ever had my own time and space and I'm going to keep that for a while.

GWHKMTM: So . . . you're seeing somebody then.

Me: :e2drown: :e2teeth: :e2thud: :rolleyes:

Bubastes
05-05-2008, 01:09 AM
Me: (blood pressure spiking just a tad) - All my life I've been somebody's daughter, sibling, wife, girlfriend, mother. This is the first time I have ever had my own time and space and I'm going to keep that for a while.

LOL! Well, he has to tell himself that. Otherwise, he'd have to deal with the more truthful "Yes, I'd like to go to dinner. Just not with YOU."

lkp
05-05-2008, 02:16 AM

Wow, Kristie, are you me?

I don't think there is anything worse than being in a loveless relationship. Being single isn't always fun, but it is always better than that.

kristie911
05-05-2008, 02:33 AM
Wow, Kristie, are you me?

*looks down*

No, I don't think so. I seem to still be me. :tongue

Jersey Chick
05-05-2008, 03:19 AM
Well, now that we got that straightened out... ;)

bluejester12
05-05-2008, 05:01 AM
Who the hell wants to know?

I am, and the more time goes by the better I like it. Here's the most recent Unfortunate Possible-Dating Encounter from, uh, last week as a matter of fact:

Guy Who Has Known Me Ten Minutes:
Want to go to dinner?

Me: I'm not dating right now but thank you.

GWHKMTM: Well. It's just DINNER. Not trying to get you INTO BED OR ANYTHING.

Me: Okay, well, I never said that. I'm enjoying not dating right now. (Which I am. Enjoying.)

GWHKMTM: That can't be possible.

Me: :e2drown: :e2teeth: :e2thud: :rolleyes:

I was on his side until "That can't be possible." Sometimes ten minutes is all we have and then you're out of our lives.

I guess my definition of nice guy is too broad. But I dont put myself in places where casual sex could happen. Do single guys often have actvie sex lives without it being 2am and alcohol involved *shrugs* I truly believe it's more easier for women to be active in that way than guys.

Then again, maybe my whole perspective is warped, but I've given these things a lot of thought.

SPMiller
05-05-2008, 05:40 AM
Do single guys often have actvie sex lives without it being 2am and alcohol involvedYes. You don't need to go to a bar to meet women. Pay attention the next time you're at the grocery, for example. Anywhere you go in public, you can meet other people there--if you really want. It works, I promise.

I truly beleive it's more easier for women to be actie in that way than guys.I think I get what you're trying to say. There's plenty of social conditioning that enforces the man-chases-woman status quo, but I tell you what, I've been pursued plenty of times. And I'm definitely no model.

Give yourself a little alone time. Then chin up, get out there, and something good may happen. It's not too late.

acousticgroupie
05-05-2008, 05:52 AM
Meeting someone can happen anywhere--the bar formula isn't the only (nor best, in my opinion) option!

bluejester12
05-05-2008, 07:26 AM
Meeting someone can happen anywhere--the bar formula isn't the only (nor best, in my opinion) option!

I was referring to casual sex when I mentioned the bar...for those that pursue that iopition (and I'm seriously considering)

ErylRavenwell
05-05-2008, 11:22 AM
I've been "pretty much" single for a very long time. I have a hard time meeting men who want a serious relationship, and I have a hard time waiting for sex, because I am a girl that really. likes. sex. I just have a very hard time waiting, which causes the relationship to end before it starts.

Want to know how to get a man hooked for good?

Do not give him what he wants on the first day. Allow him to kiss you but when he wants more, deny him, and say goodbye. Make yourself conspicuous the next day by calling him and inviting him for coffee at a cafe (trust me, he'll be intrigued; men, just like women, like a mystery). Do that a couple more times then invite him for diner. Well, if you can't cook I suggest you throw half a kilo of cured salmon in some tomato pasta sauce and allow to simmer for a couple of minute. Serve him that over steaming scented rice (make sure the rice is grainy and not sticky :D). The whole dish will go down well with some dry white wine. At last you invite him in your room and tell him if he would like a massage. Massage and oil him... I'll leave the rest to your imagination, because there may be kids reading this. If you treat a man like that, I'll be damned if he doesn't come back for more. Of course, this is only the hook.

This is how the seductress who seduced me did it. Or maybe I'm just a sucker for red-coloured hair and a matching red dress with small flower motif.

mario_c
05-06-2008, 06:32 AM
I think I'm a bad writer for the same reason I'm single. I have no skill for conversation. I always think of the right thing to say well after the moment passes, and have no talent for cultivating people, making them enjoy my company, or even keeping their interest. Motivating someone to be a friend, or even a good time? If I can't do that, how in hell am I gonna create a story that someone would enjoy? Would buy for others to enjoy?
So back to my day job and writing slump I go...

Mandy-Jane
05-06-2008, 07:08 AM
I think I'm a bad writer for the same reason I'm single. I have no skill for conversation. I always think of the right thing to say well after the moment passes, and have no talent for cultivating people, making them enjoy my company, or even keeping their interest. Motivating someone to be a friend, or even a good time? If I can't do that, how in hell am I gonna create a story that someone would enjoy? Would buy for others to enjoy?

But sometimes I think if we've no skill for conversation in real life, we can make up for it in our writing. Sometimes we can write what we can't say.

JimmyB27
05-06-2008, 02:50 PM
(Bolding mine) This is exactly why I love writing. It doesn't matter if I only think of the right thing later. Bundle all of those laters up, and by the time it reaches a reader, it's just one story, all there, all at the same time.

ErylRavenwell
05-06-2008, 03:33 PM
(Bolding mine) This is exactly why I love writing. It doesn't matter if I only think of the right thing later. Bundle all of those laters up, and by the time it reaches a reader, it's just one story, all there, all at the same time.

Ayup, writing isn't necessarily spontaneous (if you consider all the editing involved), and it's not interaction with people per se that gives a writer an edge but how shrewd an observer of human behaviour that writer is. Some of the best writers are quite asocial. I myself don't tend to waste words on people. People who fret all the times are hardly self-conscious anyway. :D

mario_c
05-07-2008, 07:43 AM
That's true. Maybe that's why I gravitated to script writing; I always create the perfect conversation, should it take a few minutes or a few months. What I fear is, I'm subconsciously withholding my best lines for the page when I can be using it to cozy up to someone special... Hell, I should be testing what works and what doesn't, and we can always laugh about it in a few years.

lastlight
05-23-2008, 12:14 AM
But sometimes I think if we've no skill for conversation in real life, we can make up for it in our writing. Sometimes we can write what we can't say.

I know exactly what you mean. I sometimes have trouble conveying thoughts/emotions without sounding like I don't know what I'm saying. All my characters share a part of me and all have a bit (or more) of my personality.

MsK
05-23-2008, 12:46 AM
So, I think bluejester12 should give us an update on his status. It's been a few weeks since this was posted.

zahra
05-23-2008, 12:47 AM
That's true. Maybe that's why I gravitated to script writing; I always create the perfect conversation, should it take a few minutes or a few months. What I fear is, I'm subconsciously withholding my best lines for the page when I can be using it to cozy up to someone special... Hell, I should be testing what works and what doesn't, and we can always laugh about it in a few years.
Babes, if you want to 'cultivate' someone, friend or lover, be interested in them. That's all. Ask questions, listen to the answers, wonder about the answers and ask what you're wondering. You might really end up interested, and if you don't, well, there's evidently not going to be a relationship there, so move on. Hey, might even make you a better writer!

I work in an environment where I have to cultivate people. I have loads of people who totally love me and to whom it doesn't seem to occur that I seem interested in them and remember their girlfriend's name and where they got their shoes because, um, it's part of my job.

BTW, I am single and it hasn't occured to me to be worried about it. I got a ton of other stuff to be worried about! I still get asked out at least once a week by men who are fooled by my professional persona - FOOOOOLS! I'd like to see their faces when they wake up a few weeks next to Screeching Hell-Bint From The Planet Unreasonable...it'd almost be worth it.:ROFL:

pconsidine
05-23-2008, 01:23 AM
I totally agree with the "fooled by my work persona" bit. At work, I'm the guy who always knows the answer, can steamroll any obstacle, and doesn't put up with any BS. Of course, by the time I leave the office, I don't have the any of that left for my personal life, which is often a complete mess. :)

All of which is moot, since I don't want to date anyone I work with and I rarely even see anyone else.

zahra
05-23-2008, 02:18 AM
Oh, pconsidine, I don't mean I act interested in my COLLEAGUES! Are you insane? As for dating one of them, thank you for making my blood run cold.

Jcomp
05-23-2008, 03:33 AM
I was referring to casual sex when I mentioned the bar...for those that pursue that iopition (and I'm seriously considering)

Well, the short answer is yes. It can be done. The long answer begins with whether or not you really want to do that, what's your motivation, and what kind of girl(s) are you looking for.

Melina
05-23-2008, 03:46 AM
Oh, pconsidine, I don't mean I act interested in my COLLEAGUES! Are you insane? As for dating one of them, thank you for making my blood run cold.

LOL!!

pconsidine
05-23-2008, 06:21 PM
Oh, pconsidine, I don't mean I act interested in my COLLEAGUES! Are you insane? As for dating one of them, thank you for making my blood run cold.I wasn't really referring to colleagues necessarily, but if cold-blooded suits you, then more power to ya.

NeuroFizz
05-23-2008, 06:36 PM
Due to Brownian Motion, all kinds of molecules may bump into an enzyme, but only the one that fits perfectly into the enzyme's active site will get the reaction going. Enjoy all the bumps that don't have that perfect fit. Eventually it'll happen and you'll feel the multiple-G acceleration of the resulting reaction. Don't settle for less.

poetinahat
05-23-2008, 06:38 PM
In other words:

If it ain't got that Fizz, it ain't What It Is.

Shadow_Ferret
05-23-2008, 06:40 PM
I was referring to casual sex when I mentioned the bar...

Casual sex is the only way to go.

Tuxes are just too restrictive.

DL Hegel
05-23-2008, 08:03 PM

And isn't that contrary to the belief "If you want something, you have to work/go get it?" Bluejester hang in there--i know a lot of assertive women--maybe you need to start looking in different places--and don't let this gal leave you with more baggage. Too many wonderful gals in the world.

bluejester12
06-17-2008, 07:48 AM
So, I think bluejester12 should give us an update on his status. It's been a few weeks since this was posted.

Nothing, really.

Oh wait, I did tell one lady I've played in poker tournaments with that I've got nothing to lose by being direct, and that I'd like to come over and see her remodeled house. She laughed, caressed my cheek and said she doesn't do that with guys younger than her daughter.

I'm older than I look. Apparently so is she.

I do appreciate everyone's kind thoughts, though.

jennifer75
06-17-2008, 08:04 AM

Amen, sistah. I "opened up" to my date on our first date and we've been together for 7 and a half years now. Sometimes it works for ya, sometimes it doesn't. I waited two weeks (yea only 2 weeks, shuddup) with another and it ended the next morning. Go figure.

Did I just say that outloud??? Must be the margarita talking. :P

So, um, the question is what again? Single and hating it? When I was single for the first time, I defined mr. right as the one I could nail, because he was really interested in me and only me, not in my pants. If I gave him sex, he'd love me and want me. Didn't quite work out that way.

We wont talk about the 2nd time I was single....

When I was single for the 3rd time, for barely 5 months, I never put myself in the position to meet people, yet I wondered why I wasn't meeting anybody. I thought my prince charming would just appear one day out of nowhere. While I was getting looks from guys, I wasn't getting introductions. I wasn't ready though, and I think it wasn't happening for me because I wasn't ready for it to happen.

Where am I going with this?

Fraulein
06-17-2008, 10:25 AM
Ok Blue. I have a few questions for you.
What do you bring to the table when you want to date a woman? Do you know how to "sell" your greatest assets? Who would want to "buy" what you have to offer? Ummm... In other words, who is looking for a guy like you?

As with other things in a "capitalist" society, dating revolves around supply and demand. Depending on which side of the relationship coin you examine, supply can be a man's greatest barrier to "market". If women have too many choices, then Mr. Man of Her Dreams may not have a fighting chance, along with every other guy out there, due to the burden of having to make a complicated decision.

Women:
Some women meet nice guys constantly and want to find someone more "exciting", while other women know how to find the jerks and are tired of being dragged through the dirt. Some women want to find a man, regardless of his attitude, who "fits" and is perceived to be "sufficient". Some women want a one-night commitment until further notice. Others want to find a man that most resembles someone whom they've always had in mind, this is who I would call the wedding fantasy guy. Some are too scorned to see beyond their last boyfriend. Some are too sheltered to venture beyond chocolate, vanilla, or strawberry when Baskin Robins offers 51 or more flavors. Some women want to have lots of flings or no flings whatsoever. Finally, some women don't know what they want, period.

Personally, I fall into the "fits"/"right" category. Even though I like a nicer guy, I wouldn't be satisfied with Mr. Nice if he can't understand what the hell I want to accomplish and then be willing to give me a little grief when I make a bad decision so that I can learn from my mistakes (this is usually the hardest part for a new significant other to figure out). When I want do something, I want Mr. "Fits" to follow, because in general, I know how to get things done. I'm an alpha female in short, except when you ask me something about plants, complex car maintenance, computers, or filing taxes, who needs an editor-in-chief as a significant other.

I don't know who you're looking for or "who is looking for a guy like you", but maybe this late-nite spiel will help you to shed light on something. Good luck! :)

:sleepy:

Forbidden Snowflake
06-17-2008, 01:46 PM
Being single sucks. I don't like casual sex. And I'm frustrated. That about sums it up :D

Unique
06-17-2008, 04:06 PM
:2angel:
Casual sex is the only way to go.

Tuxes are just too restrictive.

casual sex is so 70's, mr. ferret.

the proper term is 'recreational sex'.
please make a note of it.

:e2flowers

SpookyWriter
06-17-2008, 04:39 PM
:2angel:

casual sex is so 70's, mr. ferret.

the proper term is 'recreational sex'.
please make a note of it.

:e2flowersSo that's where the term 'trailer trash sex' came from...