Pickled Watermelon Rinds?

Sarita

carpe noctem
Registered
Reaction score
Does anyone have a recipe for Pickled watermelon rinds? Turns out, Haggis and I are both looking for a good one :)

My Grandpop used to make them and they were amazing. I can't seem to find the right vinegar/sugar combo.

Little Red Barn

haz own threads
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
http://www.icookclub.com/Fgv/Pickles/Pickled-watermelon-rind-189568.html

Pickled Watermelon Rind

Recipe By : Elizabeth Powell
Serving Size : 96 Preparation Time :2:00
Categories : Canning, Preserves, Etc. Pickles & Relishes

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
1 large watermelon rind
1 quart water
1/4 cup kosher salt
1 quart cider vinegar
8 cups sugar
8 whole cinnamon sticks -- broken up
1 tablespoon whole cloves
1 tablespoon allspice berries

Peel and remove all green and pink portions from rind. Cut into 1 inch
cubes and soak in salt water overnight. Drain and cover with fresh water. Cook
until almost tender. Drain. Make a syrup of vinegar and sugar. Tie spices in a
cheesecloth bag and add to syrup. Boil 15 minutes, then let stand 15 minutes.
Remove spice bag. Add drained watermelon rind. Cook until clear. Pack into
sterile jars and seal according to manufacturer's instructions. Makes 6 pints,
about 96 two-tablespoon servings.

- - - - - - - - - - - -

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
But...but...that sounds like I need canning stuff. And stuff. Homey don't know nothing 'bout no canning. :e2cry:

A.M. Wildman

Tentenda via est
Registered
Reaction score
Does anyone have a recipe for Pickled watermelon rinds? Turns out, Haggis and I are both looking for a good one :)

My Grandpop used to make them and they were amazing. I can't seem to find the right vinegar/sugar combo.

Sorry. Only way I know how to pickle a melon is to cut a plug out of it and upend a full vodka bottle in the hole. :D

Ol' Fashioned Girl

Hand? What hand?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenniferdahl.com
Canning! It's work... but it's soooooo satisfying to hear that 'tink!' as the jars seal. I love it.

I don't do the pressure canning... only stuff that can be safely hot-water bathed. I've made okra pickles, bread and butter pickles, sliced jalapenos, and canned tomatoes. There's nothing difficult about it. If you can read, you can follow directions. Easy and delicious.

Sarita

carpe noctem
Registered
Reaction score
Canning! It's work... but it's soooooo satisfying to hear that 'tink!' as the jars seal. I love it.

I don't do the pressure canning... only stuff that can be safely hot-water bathed. I've made okra pickles, bread and butter pickles, sliced jalapenos, and canned tomatoes. There's nothing difficult about it. If you can read, you can follow directions. Easy and delicious.
Totally! :) Yeah, I only do hot-water canning, too. Easy, even you could do it Haggis. Come over, I'll show you how!

Little Red Barn

haz own threads
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Too hard. I'll just eat yours.:D

By the way, it looks like your barn is on fire.
http://www.google.com/products?hl=e...&q=+buy+pickled+watermelon+rind&um=1&ie=UTF-8

base_media
You can purchase it already made. :D

And that'd be the sun setting behind my barn.

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Canning is so easy that even a Yorkie can do it. :D But I'll dig up my icebox pickle recipe just for you, Haggis. I think I've shared it with OFG already.

Here ya go. This recipe came from my Aunt Dot.

SWEET ICEBOX PICKLES

Of all the recipes I have for pickles, these are the easiest and best pickles you will ever find. In fact, even if you don’t like onions, the onions fixed this way are so sweet, they will be hard to resist.

16 Cups of 1/8 inch cucumber slices (firm pickling cucumbers or unwaxed regular will work)
6 large Onions sliced 1/8 inch thick
1 TBS Celery Seed
1 TBS yellow Mustard Seed
1 TBS Turmeric
1 Cup pickling Salt
8 Cups Sugar
8 Cups white Vinegar

Combine spices, salt sugar and vinegar. Stir until salt and sugar are dissolved. (Try and funnel all the mixture back into a plastic gallon vinegar bottle and shake until dissolved.

Pack cucumber and onion sliced into glass jars. Pour vinegar solution over slices, making sure all veggies are covered with liquid. Top with jar lids and place in fridge. Ready to eat in 5 days. Pickles will keep in the fridge for one year, but are best if eaten in a few months. Mine never make it past a few weeks.

slcboston

Pasture-ized
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Good lord, I hope that tastes FAR better than it sounds. Pickled watermelon rinds? :Wha:

Brings to mind that question of who it is that thinks of these things (foodwise). Like Raw oysters. What brave soul first looked at that and thought "Yum!" :D

slcboston

Pasture-ized
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hey! If my Pop did it, I'll do it! Er- no. I mean, they're delicious, like a pickle.

How much like a pickle? Because while I LOVE pickles, I have sadly discovered they no longer return the favor. So if these are a good substitute, I could be tempted. :)

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
Hey! If my Pop did it, I'll do it! Er- no. I mean, they're delicious, like a pickle.
Well, I can't get over the image of my grandpa putting rinds in the pig feed. To me it's something you throw out, not eat.

And I've tasted the rind, not pickled, but normally, and it's not good. Can't imagine pickling it would improve that any.

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
Well, I can't get over the image of my grandpa putting rinds in the pig feed. To me it's something you throw out, not eat.

And I've tasted the rind, not pickled, but normally, and it's not good. Can't imagine pickling it would improve that any.

Trust me. If it's done right, it's an awesome pickle. Hell, Ferret, you can pickle anything and make it taste different. I'm still looking for my old pickled egg recipe.