PDA

View Full Version : Movies that Deserve a Sequel or Encore!!!

dgiharris
05-01-2008, 11:50 PM
One of the greatest 'sleeper' movies of the 2000s was Galaxy Quest.

Galaxy Quest was brilliant, original, and incredibly good fun. One of the few movies (within the past several years) where you 'felt' like you were in it, having an adventure alongside the cast.

And then, poof. Gone. No Galaxy Quest II??? W.T.F.???

How could Dreamworks drop such a profitable ball?

So I ask you all, what other movies do you think are deserving of a Sequel or "one more' movie.

By the reverse question, what movies should have stopped at Part I.

Alas... if someone from Dreamworks is reading this. Get off your ASS and get us our Galaxy Quest pt II !!!!:rant:

Mel...

III
05-01-2008, 11:52 PM
Buckaroo Banzai. They ended the movie promising us a sequel named Buckaroo Banzai vs. the World Crime League (if I recall correctly). I've been waiting like 25 years for that movie.

maestrowork
05-02-2008, 12:05 AM
I really hope they don't make a sequel to Galaxy Quest. It's the best original movie and don't want them to ruin anything.

I can't really think of a movie I begging for a sequel to... Certainly not Kumar and Harold -- the sequels sucks dirt.

OK, I think Jumper could have been a great series, or a TV show, so I'd like them to either remake it (with a better script and leading man) or make over a new one. It has potential to be fun.

III
05-02-2008, 12:10 AM
History Of The World Part II ... The title of the original promised a part 2, I don't care if it was in parody or not!

Oh yeah - they even had preview clips!

maestrowork
05-02-2008, 12:18 AM
Sequel to War of the Worlds just to see everyone in the first movie die. Yes, Dakota Fanning.

Shadow_Ferret
05-02-2008, 12:33 AM
I'd like to see a sequel to Descent so I could enjoy seeing even more loud obnoxious women die.

Maybe it could star the cast of The View.

Jcomp
05-02-2008, 12:37 AM
Unbreakable. I wanted to see more of David Dunn's acceptance of his role and down-to-earth superheroism. And see his clash with the arch-villain expanded. It could have been epic.

NikeeGoddess
05-02-2008, 05:01 AM
i agree with Unbreakable. i never thought about the actual creation of a superhero or villain before and this just made sense. now i want more development.

anyhoo - my pick is Taxi Driver. with all the major players (deniro, foster, shepherd) still alive and still working. i'd like to see them so many years later. maybe shepherd is running for office and she's got this skeleton in her closet LOL!

sunna
05-02-2008, 05:07 AM
Serenity. Because there was so much they didn't get to explain, and every single one of those characters deserved more screen time.

And because it's Whedon, reason enough all by itself as far as I'm concerned.

maestrowork
05-02-2008, 06:28 AM
The Incredibles.

Thank goodness they're doing Toy Story 3.

childeroland
05-02-2008, 06:39 AM
Never Ending Story. Someone great should do the second half of Ende's book (but with the original magic, no CGI, thank you very much).

Kevin Sullivan's Anne of Avonlea deserves a sequel doing the next story in the Anne series instead of one of Sullivan's original stories.

Appalachian Writer
05-02-2008, 06:58 AM
Second Hand Lions

Lyra Jean
05-02-2008, 08:45 AM
Never Ending Story. Someone great should do the second half of Ende's book (but with the original magic, no CGI, thank you very much).

Kevin Sullivan's Anne of Avonlea deserves a sequel doing the next story in the Anne series instead of one of Sullivan's original stories.

There are two sequels to Never Ending Story and they sucked big time. Unless you are talking about a remake. It's already been done.

LIVIN
05-02-2008, 09:50 AM
I'm gonna say "Vanilla Sky" just because I'd wonder what the sequel would be about.

Bravo
05-02-2008, 09:57 AM
the matrix.

because the crap that came after it didnt count.

triceretops
05-02-2008, 10:06 AM
Transformers was not the flop that I expected. Wouldn't mind a sequel there.

Elodie-Caroline
05-02-2008, 12:23 PM
I would love to see a sequel to Ronin, with Robert DeNiro and Jean Reno. I love this film and have seen it so many times, that I know all of the scenes word for word. :D
There is so much potential for a sequel, or sequels even to this. It is a proper grown-up's version of James Bond and how I think the secret service world really would be, and not all that glamorous and far fetched crap that comes along with the J. Bond films.

Elodie

Bmwhtly
05-02-2008, 12:29 PM
Big Trouble in Little China.

Mr Flibble
05-02-2008, 12:59 PM
Big Trouble in Little China.

OMG, I would rip my own arm off for the chance to see that!

Most of my fave films wouldn't really lend themselves to a sequel though.

I really wish they hadn't bothered with the matrix sequels and the Highlander ones. Bleck.

HeronW
05-02-2008, 01:24 PM
Tank Girl!

Mr Flibble
05-02-2008, 01:48 PM
*slaps forehead*

Jeez I need to wake up this morning

MattW
05-02-2008, 03:10 PM
I think I'd watch a 5th Element sequel or prequel.

Stormhawk
05-02-2008, 03:11 PM
There are two sequels to Never Ending Story and they sucked big time. Unless you are talking about a remake. It's already been done.

I'd rather choke to death on my own vomit than watch the third one again.

Lyra Jean
05-02-2008, 07:10 PM
I've seen the second one but haven't run across the third one. When I bought "The Never Ending Story" they had it packaged with part two. I asked them if they just had part one by itself as I'm not going to waste my money on the piece of crap that is part two.

Bravo
05-02-2008, 07:13 PM
the professional, with natalie portman trying to live a normal life but thrust into her former mentor's hitman lifestyle.

the first one was one of the greatest action movies out there and portman is a terrific actress.

why hasnt this been done already?

Elodie-Caroline
05-02-2008, 07:15 PM
Because Luc Besson refused to do a sequel and also told others, who sent sequel scripts in to him, that they weren't plagiarising his stuff.

the professional, with natalie portman trying to live a normal life but thrust into her former mentor's hitman lifestyle.

the first one was one of the greatest action movies out there and portman is a terrific actress.

why hasnt this been done already?

childeroland
05-02-2008, 07:18 PM
I think Besson planned one a while back called 'Mathilda' -- Portman talked about it somewhere -- but it never came together.

I'd love to see that too but I have a feeling Besson would screw it up. Word was Mathilda was going to take up the profession after all.

mscelina
05-02-2008, 07:20 PM
STAR WARS!

Elodie-Caroline
05-02-2008, 07:24 PM
http://www.moviehole.net/news/20060714_luc_besson_talks_leon_sequel.html

childeroland
05-02-2008, 07:24 PM
I try not to admit those sequels exist. I didn't know about the remake, unless you mean the HBO series, but that's supposedly not very faithful to the book at all. Is it any good?

Cranky
05-02-2008, 07:25 PM
Yes! We need a do-over with someone else playing Anakin. Or better dialogue or SOMETHING.

"Nooooooooooooo!" Ack. Just about the worst movie line evah, imo.

childeroland
05-02-2008, 07:28 PM
So Besson never planned to follow up his film? Glad to see I was wrong; the ending to 'Leon' is so perfect I'd hate to see a sequel mess that up, JMHO. Thanks for the link.

http://www.moviehole.net/news/20060714_luc_besson_talks_leon_sequel.html

Elodie-Caroline
05-02-2008, 07:31 PM
You're most welcome... I don't like the ending, my man gets killed :cry:i walk out of the room before that bit.

So Besson never planned to follow up his film? Glad to see I was wrong; the ending to 'Leon' is so perfect I'd hate to see a sequel mess that up, JMHO. Thanks for the link.

III
05-02-2008, 07:40 PM
Office Space - as long as it was as well done as the first and not "National Lampoon presents: Office Space II - Samir on Spring Break!"

Cranky
05-02-2008, 07:43 PM
Speaking of sequels...I actually thought Clerks II was much better than the original. That's one that I wouldn't have thought deserved a sequel, but I'm glad they did it anyway.

maestrowork
05-02-2008, 07:44 PM
Ratatouille in China: Escape from Wok.

III
05-02-2008, 07:55 PM
I'd give anything to see a prequel of Memento and find out what the hell really happened!

maestrowork
05-02-2008, 08:11 PM
A prequel of War of the Worlds when all the same characters die.

jennifer75
05-02-2008, 08:12 PM
No Country for Old Men ...... Sure, almost all of the characters were killed off but the main sick-o is still out there walking, with his silencer, with his little oxy-blaster and with his bad hair....just walking!

Fingers
05-03-2008, 12:17 AM
Id like to see a sequel to Empire of the sun. How the boy would assimilate back into society after living in the camp for so long would be a hell of a story.

yer pal Brian

maestrowork
05-03-2008, 01:21 AM
Id like to see a sequel to Empire of the sun. How the boy would assimilate back into society after living in the camp for so long would be a hell of a story.

He became Batman. Duh.

Jcomp
05-03-2008, 01:22 AM
He became Batman. Duh.

Really? I thought he became a grossly malnourished, insomniac machinist.

maestrowork
05-03-2008, 01:27 AM
Really? I thought he became a grossly malnourished, insomniac machinist.

That was before he inherited all those billions, and after he killed a few people as a psycho.

Stormhawk
05-03-2008, 03:14 AM
I try not to admit those sequels exist. I didn't know about the remake, unless you mean the HBO series, but that's supposedly not very faithful to the book at all. Is it any good?

Unless the idea of G'Mork as a substitute teacher who was reasonable for the death of Bastian's mum appeals to you, no...

Or the idea of Atreyu - ATREYU - riding around on a skateboard, and (I think) getting a girlfriend appeals to you, then no...

sunna
05-03-2008, 04:21 AM
Unless the idea of G'Mork as a substitute teacher who was reasonable for the death of Bastian's mum appeals to you, no...

Or the idea of Atreyu - ATREYU - riding around on a skateboard, and (I think) getting a girlfriend appeals to you, then no...

Wow. I just threw up a little.

cethklein
05-04-2008, 06:04 AM
Anyone remember the rumor about "Spaceballs 3: The Search for Spaceballs 2"

They need to make that.

Also Boondock Saints. (this is actually official although it keeps getting delayed/cancelled/un-cancelled.)

Tank Girl

City slickers 2 (There was supposed to have been a part 3, they opened for it at the end of part 2 but it never happened.)

Lyra Jean
05-04-2008, 07:27 AM

They already made horrible sequels. Although I refuse to see part three. So no they didn't do any remakes of them although I would give the remakes a try.

maestrowork
05-04-2008, 07:56 AM
They should keep making Indiana Jones until Harrison Ford and Spielberg are both in walkers....

ChaosTitan
05-04-2008, 07:38 PM
City slickers 2 (There was supposed to have been a part 3, they opened for it at the end of part 2 but it never happened.)

They can't make a City Slickers movie without Jack Palance. :(

They already made horrible sequels. Although I refuse to see part three. So no they didn't do any remakes of them although I would give the remakes a try.

Part two had some elements from the book, but the only reason I'll occasionally view it again is because I love Jonathan Brandis (RIP). I refuse to watch Part three based on the trailer alone. And 'cuz they got the kid from Free Willy to play Bastian. Urk.

Lyra Jean
05-05-2008, 04:37 AM
They can't make a City Slickers movie without Jack Palance. :(

Part two had some elements from the book, but the only reason I'll occasionally view it again is because I love Jonathan Brandis (RIP). I refuse to watch Part three based on the trailer alone. And 'cuz they got the kid from Free Willy to play Bastian. Urk.

They got him to play it! Eww!

childeroland
05-05-2008, 04:50 AM
What do you think of the rumors LeBeouf may take over the franchise after 4?

They should keep making Indiana Jones until Harrison Ford and Spielberg are both in walkers....

ChaosTitan
05-05-2008, 05:07 AM
What do you think of the rumors LeBeouf may take over the franchise after 4?

I'd have to see LeBeouf in the film first to make a judgement on that. I loved him in Transformers and Disturbia, so I'm hopeful.

I imagine, though, they'd have to kill off Indy in order to truly pass the torch. And I think fans would riot. ;)

Plot Device
05-05-2008, 06:04 AM
OK, I think Jumper could have been a great series, or a TV show, so I'd like them to either remake it (with a better script and leading man) or make over a new one. It has potential to be fun.

Jumper seems to be in the same boat as Highlander and Star Gate: a pretty good film capable of being one amazingly awesome TV series with potential for five or more seasons of seemingly endless world-building and world-expanding.

Plot Device
05-05-2008, 06:18 AM
Unbreakable. I wanted to see more of David Dunn's acceptance of his role and down-to-earth superheroism. And see his clash with the arch-villain expanded. It could have been epic.

This is one M. Night film that is TOTALLY under-rated and under-appreciated.

And it's also the only M. Night film (to date) that is simply BEGGING for a sequel.

Plot Device
05-05-2008, 06:27 AM
I'd give anything to see a prequel of Memento and find out what the hell really happened!

A prequel to Memento ... so they would just KEEP ON moving backward, eh?

Makes you wonder which should be called "Part 1" and which "Part 2."

Plot Device
05-05-2008, 06:33 AM
The one film they absolutely MUST make a sequel to is ...

Skeleton Key

Plot Device
05-05-2008, 06:35 AM
And there is a set of movies where the sequel kinda bugged me only because of my anal retentive need to alphabetize films.

Original movie: Analyze This
Sequel movie: Analyze That

Try alphabetizing THOSE two gems on your DVD shelf!!!!

Gravity
05-05-2008, 06:39 AM
Citizen Kane

Surely somebody pulled that poor sled out of the furnace. It would be great to see its further adventures...

ChaosTitan
05-05-2008, 06:40 AM
This is one M. Night film that is TOTALLY under-rated and under-appreciated.

And it's also the only M. Night film (to date) that is simply BEGGING for a sequel.

The more I read from folks who liked this film, the more I think I have to watch it again. I just didn't like it the first time around. Didn't hate it, just didn't enjoy it overall.

The one film they absolutely MUST make a sequel to is ...

Skeleton Key

Um...why?

Lyra Jean
05-05-2008, 08:32 AM
Skeleton Key was an awesome movie. I can see a sequel happening.

Spoiler:
The black chick at the end of part one figures out the whole soul changing bodies thing and stops the couple.

My-Immortal
05-05-2008, 08:47 AM
Mystery Men

Dirty Rotten Scoundrels

True Lies

The Long Kiss Goodnight

Snatch

maestrowork
05-05-2008, 01:44 PM
Iron Man. Now that's a fun movie.

childeroland
05-05-2008, 08:56 PM
Iron Man 2's coming out in 2010 -- they're just about to start weight-training RDJ

ChaosTitan
05-05-2008, 10:55 PM
Iron Man 2's coming out in 2010 -- they're just about to start weight-training RDJ

:hooray:

maestrowork
05-05-2008, 11:29 PM
Sky Captain. OK, so the first film was a bit lacking (but I did really, really enjoyed it), but it has the potential to be a series.

James81
05-05-2008, 11:30 PM

I was in the bookstore on Saturday and I noticed that there is another book by the same author who wrote "Jumper". I can't remember the title, but I thought to myself "Hmmm, looks like a sequel to me". :D

You might get your wish.

Shadow_Ferret
05-05-2008, 11:31 PM
The Shadow.

Doc Savage.

Um...why?Um... More Kate Hudson?

maestrowork
05-05-2008, 11:36 PM
I was in the bookstore on Saturday and I noticed that there is another book by the same author who wrote "Jumper". I can't remember the title, but I thought to myself "Hmmm, looks like a sequel to me". :D

You might get your wish.

They will have to rework it (with a different leading man and love interest) like they did with The Hulk. The first movie just wasn't it.

slcboston
05-05-2008, 11:44 PM
Any of those "pulp comic" movies they did in the 1980's/1990's: The Rocketeer, The Shadow, The Phantom, etc.

Also, not really a sequel per se, but I'd like to see a decent Tarzan movie. I thought the Disney version was pretty darn good - esp for Disney - but I'd like a version without the musical gorillas.

maestrowork
05-05-2008, 11:47 PM
Any of those "pulp comic" movies they did in the 1980's/1990's: The Rocketeer, The Shadow, The Phantom, etc.

Those are actually really good. I particularly enjoyed the Rocketeer (Jennifer Connelly!) andthe Phantom.

ChaosTitan
05-06-2008, 12:41 AM
Um... More Kate Hudson?

:rolleyes:

slcboston
05-06-2008, 12:42 AM
Those are actually really good. I particularly enjoyed the Rocketeer (Jennifer Connelly!) andthe Phantom.

That reminds me.

Any move with Jennifer Connelly, provided she's actually in the sequel. (I mean, Liv Tyler as Betty?!? :Wha:)

Jcomp
05-06-2008, 01:59 AM
I actually like Liv as Betty. They had to wash any rememberance of the previous Hulk film from memory before launching this "reboot" / sequel.

ChaosTitan
05-06-2008, 03:56 AM
I liked Jennifer Connelly in Labyrinth. And...uh...oh wait, that was it.

WannabeWriter
05-06-2008, 07:11 AM
This one is not really a serious suggestion, but I mention it just because I do love all three movies in the series...

Naked Gun! :D

dgiharris
05-07-2008, 11:23 PM
We need a Galaxy Quest II

If only repeatedly begging for something could make it happen

Damn it Dreamworks, get off your ass and make another one!!

!

meldy
05-08-2008, 06:19 AM
Riddick....prequel, sequel....anything with Vin Diesel in minimal clothing...