How can you possibly like (insert author here)?

slcboston

Pasture-ized
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
(note to the mods: I'm not entirely sure this ought to go here, but it seemed like the best fit for it.)

I'm noticing this here and there in the forum at large, and thought I'd open the issue up to comment. Is there an author that seems to get bashed a lot, but whom you enjoy reading anyway? Sort of a "guilty pleasure" author?

(Or perhaps, more accurately a "guilty pleasure when I'm among writers" author. :D)

I'm going to lead off by confessing I actually like Jonathan Kellerman. I've read all the Alex Delaware novels, and while like any author some were better than others, I found them all to be good, fun reads.

Serious literature, no, but still enjoyable. Which I'm almost afraid to say, bcs I've seen poor Mr Kellerman bashed repeatedly here in the past few days.
And I say *poor* Mr Kellerman in full awareness that's he's done quite well for himself. :D (I wonder: Do we bash these authors because on some level we're jealous of their success? A form of writing snobbery, based on our idea that we could do it so much better, only we aren't getting the attention.)

So... who is it for you?

kristie911

Happy to be here
Registered
Reaction score
I love James Patterson. They're quick, action filled books. I like the characters, both in the Alex Cross series and in his Women's Murder Club series.

He's definitely a guilty pleasure and I've been taken to task several times on this board for loving his books. It won't stop me from reading them though! :)

slcboston

Pasture-ized
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Regarding James Patterson:

There was a bit on "This American Life" this past Sunday that involved these two hamsters waiting for their guy to come back and feed them. Amongst the religious overtones and what not, there was a brief aside about Patterson.

Which, coming from hamsters, was hysterical. :D

Mr Flibble

They've been very bad, Mr Flibble
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the m
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
I like James Patterson too ( even if I did figure out who the Mastermind was ages before he told us. Ah well)

But my real guilty pleasure? Wrestling bios. I love 'em. I think I laughed more times reading Chris Jerocho's one than I have reading a book for years. Ricockulous!

Voyager

Ribbed for your pleasure.
Registered
Reaction score
Another Kellerman fan here, and I just ignore the snotty comments. And knowing first hand what it takes to write a book, no author should ever bash another author, just for making the effort alone. It makes me kinda ill to see it.

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
My guilty pleasures are Nelson DeMille and Sophie Kinsella. I really enjoyed Confessions of a Shopaholic.

Inkdaub

wrapped in plastic
Registered
Reaction score
Past where the river bends, past where the silo st
I like Kellerman fine. I'm not sure who I like to read that would get the most raised eyebrows in response. Kellerman maybe. LesCroart maybe. I get funny looks when I talk about liking really violent true crime, though. The Night Stalker was one I liked that isn't for the weak of heart. I guess I don't know what my guilty pleasure would be.

darrtwish

Registered
Reaction score
Ann M. Martin. I get "Those books (ie Babysitters Club) are for seven year olds. Your sixteen! Why do you still read them?!" all the time. I adore the Babysitters Club books still. ;)

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
(I wonder: Do we bash these authors because on some level we're jealous of their success? A form of writing snobbery, based on our idea that we could do it so much better, only we aren't getting the attention.)

Another Kellerman fan here, and I just ignore the snotty comments. And knowing first hand what it takes to write a book, no author should ever bash another author, just for making the effort alone. It makes me kinda ill to see it.
Well, if we have an honest opinion about why we do or don't like a book, we should feel free to express it. Just because I'm a writer doesn't mean I should be afraid to say anything negative about another book. "I didn't like the book because I thought the writing was overblown and pedantic", however, is different than "I though the book sucked because the author's a stoopid poopyhead".

On to the subject at hand, I've enjoyed the books of Naomi Neale I've read, in particular Calendar Girl. Yeah, I'm a guy and it's "chick lit", but I could relate to it. The themes were pretty universal, and she told an excellent story.

sheadakota

part of the human equation
Registered
Reaction score
I didn't realize Kellerman had been bashed here- must have missed that thread- anyway- another fan here- and not gulity at all about it. I like to read for entertainment and pure escapeism- I write the same way- I fully admitt that I am not a literary genious in either my writng or reading, in fact I must be the only person in the world who hated books like (Opening myself up here) like The Kite Runner, and Water for Elephants-

But in keeping with the thread I guess my guiltly pleasure read would have to be Nora Roberts- I love her In Death series that she writes as J D Robb.

Buddikins

Registered
Reaction score
in fact I must be the only person in the world who hated books like (Opening myself up here) like The Kite Runner, and Water for Elephants

I havent read The Kite Runner, (I have it, it's right there *points* but havent gotten around to it) but I didnt like his other book "A Thousand Suns"..
Water for Elephants though, I liked.

As for my 'guilty pleasure'.. I've seen Dan Brown bashed a bit here, and on other forums, but I liked "The Da Vinci Code".

And Voyager.. I'm stealing that puppy in your signature. Just a heads up.

James81

Great Scott Member
Registered
Reaction score
James Frey immediately comes to mind.

The man took a LOT of flack (and still does), but I don't give a shit. He's one of my favorite authors.

Kalyke

Registered
Reaction score
True Crime-type books, like Jeffery Dahmer, Son of Sam, and so on. Once a really gruesome crime happens some journalist is paid to write a book in about a month. The writing is not very good, but I think I like the gruesome stories. The same goes for Alien Abductions and other X-filey type of book. The actual name of the author is unimportant.

Manderley

Slowly does it.
Registered
Reaction score
I don't really have any shameful secrets when it comes to my reading (but I'm quick to diss others), but don't ask about my telly habits. My husband is frequently heard mumbling: "What's an intelligent woman doing watching shite like that?".

Alvah

Life is what you make of it.
Registered
Reaction score
I like Robert Parker's Spenser novels; I've read all of them. I also like his Jesse Stone books.

Red-Green

KoalaKoalaKoala!
Registered
Reaction score
At the publishing party, whacking the piñata
Website
www.bryngreenwood.com
I'm not ashamed to read anything--after all, it's all research, good and bad. All my shameful secrets relate to my movie-viewing habits. Oh, yes, I'm all about the classics and indies and foreign flicks, but I have those occasional shite indulgences that make me cringe in broad daylight.

TerzaRima

Absinthe O'Malice
Registered
Reaction score
How can you possibly like Chuck Pahlaniuk?

How can you possibly like The Hunt for Red October, the rest of the Jack Ryan books and other manly male tomes I finally collectively dubbed Meditations on My Jockstrap, because I couldn't keep them all straight?

How can you possibly like The Lovely Bones? I realize I may have to turn in my woman card now, but really.

And finally, how can you like Ulysses? I tried. I had quite a work ethic about it. I like most of the rest of Joyce, but I cannot like Ulysses.

Jersey Chick

Up all night to get Loki
Registered
Reaction score
in the state of carefully controlled chaos
Website
www.kimberlynee.com
That's like Faulkner for me - I've tried to read The Sound and the Fury about 6 times and I always get lost by about the 5th page. Same with Wuthering Heights.

And (this is sacriligeous for someone who writes Regency romance on occasion) - I've only ever read one book by Jane Austen, and couldn't get through it because I kept falling asleep. I had to write a paper on it in college, and made half of it up because I just couldn't finish the freakin' book. I think the prof must not have read it either, because the paper got an A and all these glowing comments scribbled all over it. :D

MsK

Registered
Reaction score
Okay, here goes... Nicholas Sparks! And I have yet to read one positive thing about his writing through the threads here.
:LilLove: Hopeless romantic that I am, I love getting carried away in one of his love stories and, apparently, millions of others feel the same way.
I also love Patterson. His mysteries and , even more so, his three non-mystery novels, Sam's Letters for Jennifer, Suzanne’s Diary for Nicholas and Sundays at Tiffany's.

CandlestickJay

Registered
Reaction score
This is so terribly juvenile....

but I still love Meg Cabot. When I was younger I read all of her Princess Diaries books, and I just adore her Mediator books. They make me feel young and silly again! (And quite a bit giggly! XD)

Gynn

Wandering worlds
Registered
Reaction score
I read about five or six of those Anne Rice vampire books when I was younger and I liked them all!

But now, if someone came up to me and offered me "The Dark Gift", I'd probably smack them.

Cranky

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, I love Jonathan Kellerman, and I'm proud of it. :D

I'm also a huge reader of true-crime books. *shrug* I like them...people that commit murder fascinate me. I don't think I could do it myself, so I wonder about them. At one point in my life, I considered forensic psychology because it fascinated me so much.