Ow!!! Arrgghhh!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nivvie

Rejections, She Wrote.
Registered
Reaction score
Dammit, just poked myself in the eye.....

Anyhoo, got me thinking.
The most impressive thing I've ever done is sever my thumb, but I was three so can't take lot of credit. I was once showing my scar off at work and was completely trumped by a man who'd taken his hand right off at the wrist with a table/circular saw thing.

My favourite 'eh?' injury is once a man came into the hospital after getting his ear mashed in some automatic doors (Eh?).
I'd pay good money to see how he actually managed that.

Anyone else done anything wonderfully dumb and got a great scar?

Rob-rite

A wanderer returning...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
robsweeney-singer.tumblr.com
I once shot myself in the palm witha nail-gun. Had to go to A&E to have it removed. Needless to say, my knick-name at work became Jesus ...

Sarita

carpe noctem
Registered
Reaction score
Haha, yes. How many do you want to hear? When I was 4, I tripped and fell running across a parking lot. One arm was under me and the other straight out. A car ran it over (the one arm) and broke it to bits... then kept driving! Still have some bones poking through the skin scars on that one.

I didn't remember the car running me over, but when I was 17, I had this dream that I was run over by a red chevy nova, circa 77... (I love cars). When I asked my mom about it, she said "Wow, you were run over by a red chevy nova and I'm guessing it was a late 70's model." Funny... Oh and apparently, I had on a green dress and they had to cut the sleeve. The ambulance driver called me the incredible hulk and I told him to shut up. Pretty snappy for a broken armed 4-yr-old. ;)

Spookster

Maiden of the Blade
Registered
Reaction score
Hmm. My scar list is short, though I'm about as clumbsy as you get. I got stitches in my shin when I was seven. I tripped over a tree root. You know, the kind that makes a U-shape just above the ground. Split my shin open right down to the bone. I've actually got a dent in the bone where I chipped it. I had seven stitches on my second day of vacation.

I broke my finger on a bathroom stall door. I jammed it at the first joint and broke the tip. Had to file a w/c (worker's compensation) claim and everything.

But, the best story I've got is when I worked for an insurance co. We got a w/c report in of a job site injury. While using a port-o-let, a man cut the tip of his, er, genital area. Sliced it right open on a metal shard just under the toilet seat. He had to get 4 stiches along the shaft. Don't ask me how he managed that one. I just typed the info into the mainframe.

Another one was the fast food manager that was hanging a plaque above the grease pit. He used the metal edge of the pit as a ladder, lost his footing, and his leg went into the grease, hip deep. He sustained 1st and 2nd degree burns over his entire leg. That one was one of those "dumb*ss, what where you thinking?!?" claims.

Sarita

carpe noctem
Registered
Reaction score
Spookster said:
Another one was the fast food manager that was hanging a plaque above the grease pit. He used the metal edge of the pit as a ladder, lost his footing, and his leg went into the grease, hip deep. He sustained 1st and 2nd degree burns over his entire leg. That one was one of those "dumb*ss, what where you thinking?!?" claims.

That sounds SO painful! ARGHHHH!

Arisa81

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
pacificpurple.blogspot.com
A few years ago I was sharpening a knife with one of those hand held sharpeners...not really paying attention...an attempt to put it into the sharpener again ended up in my wrist. Of course the knife was pretty sharp at this point. Anyway, 3 stiches and a few weeks later all was fine. But I'll have that scar to remind me to pay attention from now on.

rhymegirl

It's a New Year!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
What is this, a boo-boo thread?

I fell out of bed when I was a little girl and ripped open my chin. Ow, man, that hurts! Had to have stitches.

No other injuries I can think of.

Nivvie

Rejections, She Wrote.
Registered
Reaction score
Spookster said:

Wow, imagine him trying to climb out, and all the dorky teen burger flippers standing about with wide eyes.

Spookster

Maiden of the Blade
Registered
Reaction score
Everyone at the office was flaberghasted at the lack of common sense. We all concured the scariest part was that this man was the manager. If he could be this airheaded, how was he supposed to watch out for the employees?

Nivvie

Rejections, She Wrote.
Registered
Reaction score
Spookster said:
Everyone at the office was flaberghasted at the lack of common sense. We all concured the scariest part was that this man was the manager. If he could be this airheaded, how was he supposed to watch out for the employees?

My boss has shades of that, do as I say not as I do.
He put a scalpel in his pocket the other day when he went to answer the phone. He should have put it straight into the disinfectant, but forgot it was there, and later put his hand in.
The cut wasn't big, but he had to have a miriad of shots and take some major antibiotics as there was a rick of contracting gas gangrene from the blade.
Now every time he goes on about sharps safety we of course, rip into him.

mistri

Sneezy Member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.livejournal.com
Ewwwwww. You lot just made me wince, wince, wince. What a horrible yet intriguing thread.

I can't think of anything interesting at all that's happened to me, accident-wise, though as I walk around I quite often imagine all the horrible things that *could* happen (weird, I know), making myself wince.

three seven

(Graeme Cameron)
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
I got drunk on Martinis and tried to make a cheese sandwich with an 8-inch carving knife. Which was fine until I fell on it. Luckily I didn't die, but my rib still cracks now and then if I lift something the wrong way. Brilliant.

A few weeks later I got drunk again (on beer this time) and decided while walking home that I needed to find a tree. Well, the only tree I could see was in the middle of a park, which was surrounded by six-foot iron railings with spikes on top. Seemed like a good idea at the time.
Actually, I was over the railings like Spring-heeled Jack and I would've got away with it if it wasn't for that pesky foot-high barbed wire fence. I hit it at full speed, and it took two people to unravel me. That bled a lot.

I gained my biggest scar when I was 2. I was bouncing up and down on my parents' bed (as you do) and lost my balance. Fortunately, before I could hit the floor, I was saved by the corner of the bedside table, which broke my fall via the medium of my face. Missed my eye by about half an inch. Stiches. Nice.

Oh yeah, and once I managed to run myself over with my own car. You just can't learn that kind of skill.

Sarita

carpe noctem
Registered
Reaction score
three seven said:
I gained my biggest scar when I was 2. I was bouncing up and down on my parents' bed (as you do) and lost my balance. Fortunately, before I could hit the floor, I was saved by the corner of the bedside table, which broke my fall via the medium of my face. Missed my eye by about half an inch. Stiches. Nice.
Same exact thing. Probably same kind of scar, through my right eye brow. They're plucked appropriately now so that it's hard to tell.

Nivvie

Rejections, She Wrote.
Registered
Reaction score
three seven said:
I got drunk on Martinis and tried to make a cheese sandwich with an 8-inch carving knife. Which was fine until I fell on it. Luckily I didn't die, but my rib still cracks now and then if I lift something the wrong way. Brilliant.

A few weeks later I got drunk again (on beer this time) and decided while walking home that I needed to find a tree. Well, the only tree I could see was in the middle of a park, which was surrounded by six-foot iron railings with spikes on top. Seemed like a good idea at the time.
Actually, I was over the railings like Spring-heeled Jack and I would've got away with it if it wasn't for that pesky foot-high barbed wire fence. I hit it at full speed, and it took two people to unravel me. That bled a lot.

Oh yeah, and once I managed to run myself over with my own car. You just can't learn that kind of skill.

*Pins on gold star*
Well done.

I once key-ed my own car, that's all I can manage. I was going home from work and someone called out to me, I swung round and gouged the door.
I'm such a dummy.

JenNipps

Have you JHS today?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenifernipps.com
There's only one thing I can think of where I banged myself up good. It was the middle of summer, my mom was a babysitter and we had just got back home from a trip to the swimming pool in the park. She took the kids in the house and sent me to get the mail.

I stepped on a loose chunk of concrete and sprained my left ankle. I landed hard on my right knee and busted it open. They were being so noisy in the house that they didn't hear me yelling for them, so I had to walk all the way up the driveway. I don't remember how many stitches I had, but a few weeks later, I got the all-clear to go to summer camp in Arkansas. On the third day, I fell and busted it open again.

mdin

The late, the great XThe NavigatorX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.mattdinniman.com
Maybe I'm just a sadist, but I love reading these things.

I had my right index finger half bitten off by an iguana. It was surgically reattached, but I can't bend it all the way anymore.

Spookster

Maiden of the Blade
Registered
Reaction score
When my SIL was released from the hospital after delivering my niece, the family had a "welcome home" party for the latest addition. On her way to the back yard, my SIL stepped in a divit in the grass. She managed to keep the baby from getting hurt, but she suffered a broken leg. She had three pins placed in her ankle and a cast up to her hip for two months. The scar is huge, surrounding her entire ankle. Nasty looking thing.

paprikapink

Bored fanatic
Registered
Reaction score
Website
paprikapink2.blogspot.com
This thread is really hurting me. It's like driving past an endless steam of car wrecks on the other side of the highway. (...that movie..."Le Weekend"? ...) Anyway, I am like mistri, hyper-cautious. My daughters are the same way. My husband calls it the safety gene.

And yet, I have one to pitch in. For years I dated a guy who, during one stoned episode of his misspent youth, got caught in a field one night with his buddies smoking pot. They all fled, and while scrambling over a (rusty) barbed wire fence, pierced his foreskin. Never got any medical treatment for it because he didn't want his parents to know he'd been out in the field. Still has the hole to prove it. At least he did when I knew him. And just think, nowadays he can even buy jewelry specially made for that!

-pkpk

(How many "hey! I dated that guy too!" messages will I get after this?)

Betty W01

Empress of Cyberworld
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
When I was about twelve, I had a mad crush on a neighbor boy. One hot day I thought I'd impress him by making him a glass of fresh lemonade served over chipped ice. I tried to chip the ice with an ice pick, while holding the ice cube in my hand to keep it from sliding all over. Yep, put that ice pick right through my right thumb. It didn't even hurt - until I pulled it out. (So much for impressing anyone... bloody ice cubes do nothing for lemonade!)

Kida Adelyne

Me got zero cookies!
Registered
Reaction score
I don't have any really nasty scars. I've never even broken anything.
I can, however, speak from experience when I say never cut up a cardboard box with a knife when you knee's are inside the box.

Nivvie

Rejections, She Wrote.
Registered
Reaction score
Spookster said:

Something's just dawned on me, wouldn't it be grat if the plaque had said CAUTION-HOT...hehehe....I'm evil.

E.G. Gammon

Registered
Reaction score
Well, when I was about 11, I was watching an old tape of an episode of Power Rangers (the original ones) and I was imitating them, and did a kick in the air. Socks... Wood floor... You can just imagine. My foot that wasn't in the air, slipped out from under me and I landed on one of my hands, picture it as a hand-stand on one hand... I sprained it. I was VERY close to breaking it. And if that wasn't enough, I have very sensitive skin and the material they used for my cast-wrap irritated my arm and when I finally got to take my bandages off, it was another 2 weeks getting rid of the rash they left.

It didn't really leave "scar" but the story is one I couldn't help telling. So many laugh when they hear "sprained my arm while doing a Power Ranger kick."

--------------------------

But, my mother has a huge scar. We were all at the beach one year, when I was VERY little, and my mom got her ankle caught in between two pier planks and she fell - twisted her foot practically all the way off. They had to use like 20 metal pins to reattach her foot. It's so funny when we have to go through a metal detector. Those pins always go off.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.