Non-fiction books question

Status
Not open for further replies.

kohuether

Registered
Reaction score
I am in the process of writing two Christian- Inspirational non-fiction books. I'm just in the beginning stages. The two books, I am now realizing, could be considered part of a series.

Now- which approach do you think would be best? Writing the complete manuscripts and then submitting them, or writing an outline and a few chapters of each and submitting a book proposal?

Betty W01

Empress of Cyberworld
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I think I'd go with doing one book at a time. Once you get a contract or an agent, you could bring up the next book and the series idea. And unless your agent or a publisher under consideration asks for a whole manuscript, a book proposal is always the way to go for a N-F book of any kind. Good luck!

ldumont999

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.louisedumont.com
Proposal or Complete Manuscript

While it is necessary for you to submit a proposal with only the first few chapters in order to get an agent or a contract, most publishers want first time authors to have a complete manuscript before submitting that proposal. The reason for this is simple, agents and editors know that there are plenty of wannabes who have great ideas but don't have the follow-through to get a project done. They don't have the time to read your entire manuscript (thus request a proposal) but both agents and editors want to know that you are capable of writing that entire manuscript.

Work on one book at a time. Make it sharp. Include a line in your proposal that reads something like this: Proposed Sequals or Proposed Future Titles. That lets the agent or editor know you have something else in the workds if they want it.

Jehovah-Meqaddeshkem (The Lord Makes Me Holy) Exodus 31:1-14

Louise Bergmann DuMont
www.louisedumont.com
www.njcwg.blogspot.com
GRACE BY THE CUP: A BREAK FROM THE DAILY GRIND, (Revell), October, 2003
FAITH-DIPPED CHOCOLATE: RICH ENCOURAGEMENT TO SWEETEN YOUR DAY, (Revell), January, 2005
Coming Soon...
THE STRENGTH OF A WHISPER - Six Ordinary Women: One Extraordinary God

Status
Not open for further replies.