PDA

View Full Version : Kidney Punch Experiences

JoNightshade
05-01-2008, 01:49 AM
Okay, if there's one thing I've learned at AW, it's that all of you have had some amazingly painful and horrific first-hand experiences. And you love to share. :)

SO! Painful experience of the day: Kidney punch. I've heard that this has a special kind of pain. Care to describe the exact sensations? Did you pee blood?

GeorgeK
05-01-2008, 05:42 PM
I've taken care of plenty of people with blunt renal trauma. Sometimes you see blood in the urine, sometimes not. It wouldn't be unusual to see a few red threads. Those are blood clots that molded to the shape of the ureter before being passed. They usually could not find a comfortable position and the pain was usually bad enough they would splint (breathe very shallowly) and you'd have to remind them to breathe deeply. Some were screamers, some got real quiet but you could hear the pain in their voice.

HeronW
05-01-2008, 05:57 PM
From what I've read: a good kidney punch can make you wish you were dead but since the pain is so blinding you must be alive. Your back spasms, assorted size of hematoma depending on what hit you, any movement is agonizing. The kidney can be ruptured causing cardiac arrest from ripped blood vessels with a sudden bleedout into the abdomen.

JoNightshade
05-01-2008, 08:14 PM
Whoa, scary. Okay, anyone with a kidney punch experience that did NOT need a hospital visit? :)

WendyNYC
05-01-2008, 08:18 PM
Mine wasn't a punch exactly, but I took gymnastics when I was a kid and fell *hard* across the balance beam in that area once. It hurt like a mutha', really searing pain, but no hospital visit. I didn't pee blood. So maybe I didn't hit it hard enough.

A.M. Wildman
05-01-2008, 09:08 PM
Whoa, scary. Okay, anyone with a kidney punch experience that did NOT need a hospital visit? :)

*Raises hand*

Between boxing and bar fighting (when I was much younger) I've been popped in the kidneys more times than I care to think about.

A properly placed and landed kidney punch will bring most anyone to their knees in a hurry. It's been a long time but I do remember sharp pain, fire, and breathing really shallow like the times I ended up with broken ribs.

I really don't know how to describe the pain. Try this. If I were in a situation and given the following two choices:

I'm about to get hit and have a choice of being hit in either the family jewels or the kidneys.

I'd have to think about it.

JoNightshade
05-01-2008, 09:10 PM
If I were in a situation and given the following two choices:

I'm about to get hit and have a choice of being hit in either the family jewels or the kidneys.

I'd have to think about it.

:roll:Oh man, sorry to laugh at your pain, but that's a great line! :)

Thanks for sharing, Wendy & Wildman!

GeorgeK
05-01-2008, 11:19 PM
. The kidney can be ruptured causing cardiac arrest from ripped blood vessels with a sudden bleedout into the abdomen.

No, the kidneys are retroperitoneal and surrounded by Gerota's fascia. You would need penetrating trauma to bleed into the abdomen. People can still die from internal bleeding, it just wouldn't be intraabdominal.