PDA

View Full Version : Kentucky Derby

Komnena
04-30-2008, 07:21 PM
Anyone else follow the Derby?
I picked Pyro as my Derby horse because he reminded me of Bernardini. Then after I told all the recipients I liked him he threw in that horrific performance. I still like him but I'm now also looking at Colonel John, who seems to be a good colt and is descended from Man o'War.

Seaclusion
04-30-2008, 08:52 PM
I need a few mint juleps before I can even begin to handicap the race.

Richard

Komnena
05-02-2008, 08:19 PM
The important thing is that horses and riders come back safely. The Derby is an accident waiting to happen.
It has been strange here this week. It's like the city as well as its people is alive. Tonight and tomorrow we'll be seeing truly bizarre behavior.

RLB
05-02-2008, 08:31 PM
Have you been in Louisville long? We lived there on a business assigment for a couple of years and I had never seen a town so transformed by a single event! Most bosses didn't even require people to come into work on Oaks day (is that today?). We left Louisville last fall, but really enjoyed the town.

When I moved there, I had these grand visions of buying one of those montrously huge hats and going to the Derby. Then I found out how expensive Derby tickets were. Worse, the hats cost even more!

Some of my favorite Derby-time memories:

We flew out of the Louisville private airfield the day before Derby one year and it was crazy. We were waiting to get on my husband's company's plane, and all these private planes were landing with the celebrities and uber-rich. The airfield ground guy said to us, "We're going to hold boarding until the Sheik has taxied in safely." The sheik!

Meanwhile, a company that manufactures private jets had set up a display model and info booth on the tarmac, in case anyone flying in wanted to upgrade their jet to a later model.

Last year, the queen of England was in attendance and I couldn't help but wonder, where does the queen of England stay overnight in Lousiville? Does she check into the Galt House downtown? I was waiting tables at the Cheesecake Factory at the time. I told my manager that if the queen had some hankering for cheesecake, I wanted to be her waitress. Shockingly, she was a no-show...

But it's a fun time to be in Louisville.

Komnena
05-03-2008, 05:24 AM
I've been here more than eleven years.
Louisville is always crazy at Derby time. It's the Kentucky version of Mardi Gras. I understand the island of Chincoteague is more transformed by its Pony Penning in July than Louisville is by the Derby. Still, this city really jumps during the Derby. It's not a good time to see the city, though.
I wonder if it was Sheik Maktoum who was coming in. He owns a farm in Lexington. Bernardini and Street Sense are there.

Serenity
05-03-2008, 06:32 PM
Anyone else follow the Derby?
I picked Pyro as my Derby horse because he reminded me of Bernardini. Then after I told all the recipients I liked him he threw in that horrific performance. I still like him but I'm now also looking at Colonel John, who seems to be a good colt and is descended from Man o'War.

LOL, I have to say I picked Pyro too, although for VERY different-- and not at all relevant to horse racing-- reasons. I have a character in a book who lights fires with her mind. And one of her teammates is named Stephen. And Pyro's trainer is named Steve.

I never pick based on all that technical stuff, like whether or not the horse has actually won anything before, or how their jockey has performed in past races... nooooooo, not me. :tongue

Little Red Barn
05-03-2008, 06:52 PM
I've picked Visionaire the no. 8 horse, and one of my all time fav memories was snagging Lee Lacocca's seats at the last minute when he couldn't come and sitting beside a certain celeb... ;)

Don Allen
05-03-2008, 06:56 PM
GIVE ME THE WINNER AND I"L SHOOT DOWN TO THE OTB AND BET IT!!!!!!!!!

Little Red Barn
05-03-2008, 06:59 PM
Have you been in Louisville long? We lived there on a business assigment for a couple of years and I had never seen a town so transformed by a single event! Most bosses didn't even require people to come into work on Oaks day (is that today?). We left Louisville last fall, but really enjoyed the town.

When I moved there, I had these grand visions of buying one of those montrously huge hats and going to the Derby. Then I found out how expensive Derby tickets were. Worse, the hats cost even more!

Some of my favorite Derby-time memories:

We flew out of the Louisville private airfield the day before Derby one year and it was crazy. We were waiting to get on my husband's company's plane, and all these private planes were landing with the celebrities and uber-rich. The airfield ground guy said to us, "We're going to hold boarding until the Sheik has taxied in safely." The sheik!

Meanwhile, a company that manufactures private jets had set up a display model and info booth on the tarmac, in case anyone flying in wanted to upgrade their jet to a later model.

Last year, the queen of England was in attendance and I couldn't help but wonder, where does the queen of England stay overnight in Lousiville? Does she check into the Galt House downtown? I was waiting tables at the Cheesecake Factory at the time. I told my manager that if the queen had some hankering for cheesecake, I wanted to be her waitress. Shockingly, she was a no-show...

But it's a fun time to be in Louisville.
Queen was guest at a Lexington farm last year. One of the notable party horse farms...

Komnena
05-03-2008, 07:15 PM
Eight Belles looks good too. She's not quite as massively built as the late Winning Colors but she has a considerable presence. Big Brown is the current favorite but I don't like those bad feet.
Trivia question. Anybody here remember the fastest horse ever to lose the Derby?

Chumplet
05-03-2008, 10:39 PM
My choices are usually sentimental. If there's a Canadian bred in the field, I'm likely to root for it. I understand we have one this year, owned by a guy who discovered a diamond mine and made billions. I hope his horse sense is as good as his geology sense.

Thanks for reminding me! I've got the channel queued up on the telly.

Komnena
05-04-2008, 01:17 AM
My choices are usually sentimental. If there's a Canadian bred in the field, I'm likely to root for it. I understand we have one this year, owned by a guy who discovered a diamond mine and made billions. I hope his horse sense is as good as his geology sense.

Thanks for reminding me! I've got the channel queued up on the telly.

Your choice is Tale of Ekati. He's a legitimate contender. He's a grandson of Sunday Silence. Tagg, his trainer, only runs a horse if he thinks he has a chance. At least he seems to have run sound, which is more than can be said for Big Brown.

Little Red Barn
05-04-2008, 02:27 AM
they just put the place horse, Eight Belles down --euthanised on the track...She broke both ankles...:cry:

Upbeat
05-04-2008, 02:30 AM
The important thing is that horses and riders come back safely. The Derby is an accident waiting to happen.
It has been strange here this week. It's like the city as well as its people is alive. Tonight and tomorrow we'll be seeing truly bizarre behavior.

It's over; and sad to say one horse seriously injured.

samgail
05-04-2008, 02:32 AM
i was watching with my kids......heartbreaking

sandyn
05-04-2008, 02:51 AM
I picked Eight Belles to win just because she was the lone filly and she didn't disappoint me. I hate that she had to be euthanized. I cried...

I also picked Denis of Cork. Wish I'd had some money on these two...but I wish even more that all of them would have come out healthy.

Too much for me! I don't know if I have the heart to watch another race. I love animals too much.

Jersey Chick
05-04-2008, 02:56 AM
I picked Eight Belles as well - I thought she was pretty (great criteria, eh?) How sad.

Brutal Mustang
05-04-2008, 02:58 AM
So sad about Eight Bells! They're breeding too much speed and power for the bones/ligaments on these horses.

William Haskins
05-04-2008, 03:41 AM
http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=101522

AmyDoodle
05-04-2008, 03:42 AM
Eight Belles was a magnificent animal. How can you help but mourn her loss. . .

Jersey Chick
05-04-2008, 03:58 AM
I'm not picking a horse for Preakness - I'm like a human black cloud.

Jean Marie
05-04-2008, 04:01 AM
What a sad day...

Elaine Margarett
05-04-2008, 03:56 PM
What a sad day...

I'll second that. I hate to see a horse break down. A three year old is not up to the punishing training/racing shedule they maintain. So sad that so many of these animals end up crippled and useless (unless being bred) at what should be the prime of their lives.

With Big Brown's bad feet, it makes me concerned as they head here to Baltimore for the Preakness. And you know as a Derby winner his time at stud is assured. I wonder how many foals with bad feet he'll produce?

nerds
05-04-2008, 04:44 PM
So sad about Eight Bells! They're breeding too much speed and power for the bones/ligaments on these horses.

:cry:

Agree. I still tear up thinking of poor Barbaro, too. All of them, beautiful creatures that they are. I love horse racing but change is in order, imo.

:cry:

Komnena
05-04-2008, 06:09 PM
I'll second that. I hate to see a horse break down. A three year old is not up to the punishing training/racing shedule they maintain. So sad that so many of these animals end up crippled and useless (unless being bred) at what should be the prime of their lives.

With Big Brown's bad feet, it makes me concerned as they head here to Baltimore for the Preakness. And you know as a Derby winner his time at stud is assured. I wonder how many foals with bad feet he'll produce?

If he begins his stud career next year at age four and lives to be nineteen, he could have sixteen crops of more than a hundred foals apiece, more if they shuttle him to Australia. I would have preferred that just about any other horse than him win the race.

choppersmom
05-04-2008, 06:10 PM
To this day, saying the word "Ruffian" chokes me up. I was only 9 when that happened, but I remember it like it was yesterday. What a tragic loss of a spectacular animal. I don't particularly like horse racing, but you have to admit, she was one in a million. Eight Belles showed great promise, and it's another tragedy that she broke down. Was she really doped, or are those rumors?

Little Red Barn
05-04-2008, 06:19 PM
To this day, saying the word "Ruffian" chokes me up. I was only 9 when that happened, but I remember it like it was yesterday. What a tragic loss of a spectacular animal. I don't particularly like horse racing, but you have to admit, she was one in a million. Eight Belles showed great promise, and it's another tragedy that she broke down. Was she really doped, or are those rumors?
They are doing an autopsy and the owner has requested cremation.

choppersmom
05-04-2008, 06:21 PM
So maybe we'll have the answer, maybe not. I pray she wasn't.

Little Red Barn
05-04-2008, 06:39 PM
So maybe we'll have the answer, maybe not. I pray she wasn't.
Would seem unlikely--given how they must submit to testing etc.. for drugs and Eight Belles' family cherished her... course there is always speculation when such a tragedy occurs and I'll be glad to see the results come back so her owners can move forward.

choppersmom
05-04-2008, 06:47 PM
I've read others' comments that breeding plays a part in incidents like this, that the horses are being bred too fast for their bones and ligaments to handle. That's got to change too.

Komnena
05-04-2008, 09:16 PM
For it to change would require something like the code of ethics practiced by reputable dog and cat breeders. Breeders would have to seek out stallions which raced sound. But with so much emphasis put on racing horses so early it's unlikely breeders will be able to afford not to breed to fashionable stallions. If Barbaro had lived it's likely he'd have been very popular as a stallion.

TerzaRima
05-04-2008, 09:27 PM
I don't know if I have the heart to watch another race.

Man, you and me both. I wish we could ban both horse and dog racing. There's nothing that should justify this kind of spectacle.

choppersmom
05-05-2008, 03:24 AM
I've always loved watching racehorses run. When I was young, I had no idea how really awful it is as a sport. Now that I know about doping and the other cruelties that go on, I'm inclined to agree that it should be done away with. I'd like to think the human race is evolving intellectually to the point where we'd no longer need to take advantage of innocent creatures for our amusement, but then again, look at human athletes. They dope themselves willingly for the sake of a stupid batting average point, or whatever. How foolish we are.

Silver King
05-05-2008, 03:47 AM
Man, you and me both. I wish we could ban both horse and dog racing. There's nothing that should justify this kind of spectacle.
Yes there is: Money. Lots and lots of it.

That lone horse being put down yesterday is the equivalent, in human terms, of a little girl who falls into a well, and all of the world is enraptured by her death, sitting on pins and needles as rescuers work feverishly, for days, to rescue her. And in the meantime, those same spectators never realize that thousands of children similar to that girl died of starvation and neglect and abuse.

It's a combination of prioritizing our feelings into small compartments while ignoring the larger issues that threaten to engulf us whole.

nerds
05-05-2008, 04:00 AM
Ruffian

http://www.best-horse-photos.com/images/Ruffian%204.jpg

Barbaro

http://pictopia.com/perl/get_image?provider_id=368&size=550x550_mb&ptp_photo_id=444626

Eight Belles

http://cache.viewimages.com/xc/80932029.jpg?v=1&c=ViewImages&k=2&d=17A4AD9FDB9CF193CE41B024AE96D64DF7D79FDD97949A30 5A5397277B4DC33E

choppersmom
05-05-2008, 04:07 AM
Ruffian

http://www.best-horse-photos.com/images/Ruffian%204.jpg

Just look at that animal. Spectacular. She would have been the fastest ever, they say.

Komnena
05-05-2008, 05:11 AM
Go For Wand. Black Gold.

Chumplet
05-05-2008, 06:19 AM
Apparently Big Brown has special shoes made to combat his quarter crack problem. Shoes made in Canada.

The fact that he's lightly raced at least shows that some owners have respect for their horses' limitations.

I just read about neglected racehorses falling through the claiming cracks and being sold to the slaughterhouse. There are no horse slaughterhouses in the States but there are some in Canada. Organizations are fighting for legislation to ban the practice, and to adopt out the unwanted horses.