PDA

View Full Version : The Dark Knight (SPOILERS start page 5)

Pages : [1] 2

Constantine K
04-30-2008, 07:51 AM
Didn't see an active thread for the best movie ever . . . so here it is.

The new trailer, it's online in bootleg form.

Did anybody else pee their pants? GREATEST TRAILER EVER.

katiemac
04-30-2008, 08:12 AM
Link?

ETA: Just found it. Pretty nifty.

LIVIN
04-30-2008, 08:30 AM
Did anybody else pee their pants? .

Well, yeah... but I pee my pants everyday... nothin' new there.

Jcomp
04-30-2008, 08:07 PM
I was already at maximum geek levels for the movie, so there was no way the trailer could make me more hype than I already was. That said, it didn't in any way diminish my geek level either. It's still at Defcon: Maniacal!

maestrowork
04-30-2008, 08:09 PM
Heath is going to be a legend.

slcboston
04-30-2008, 08:09 PM
As a comics fan, this summer's completely overloaded my ability to respond: Batman, Iron Man, the Hulk, Hellboy...

Still and all, the one trailer that got me the most excited, that I watched somewhere on the order of 10 times in a row the day it came out: Indiana Jones.

(It's just that I've been waiting since 1986, you understand.)

GeorgeK
04-30-2008, 08:10 PM
I guess I'm just old. I can't get excited about another remake, redo, rehash of the same storyline. When is there going to be something original?

jennontheisland
04-30-2008, 08:22 PM
Yeah, Christian Bale in black leather.

I'm totally torn between drooling over trailers and saving myself for the real thing.

Yum.

III
04-30-2008, 08:25 PM
Christopher Nolan. Nuff said.

maestrowork
04-30-2008, 08:52 PM
Christopher Nolan. Nuff said.

In black leather?

James81
04-30-2008, 09:15 PM
I've been trying to keep as spoiler free as possible, but after seeing the first trailer, I almost peed my pants.

This movie is going to rock so much shit it's not even funny.

Constantine K
05-02-2008, 12:03 AM
I guess I'm just old. I can't get excited about another remake, redo, rehash of the same storyline. When is there going to be something original?

What.

childeroland
05-02-2008, 01:04 AM
Was up all night over the weekend following the viral game and geek messageboards, waiting for someone to leak a bootleg.

Has anyone seen the Jokerized version of the trailer. Very, very cool.

Yeshanu
05-02-2008, 01:45 AM
I just quit my second job for the summer, 'cause I've been thinking that a) I'll be getting more hours at the theatre, and b) I'll need some time to use up those free passes I can write to myself. (Being a manager, that is.)

Anyone want to be my friend? :tongue

Hollan
05-02-2008, 05:39 AM
Um, where is this new trailer? Perhaps I'm retarded, but I can't find it. Link please!

Bourgeois Nerd
05-02-2008, 06:08 AM
Guess I'm a 'tard too. Going off to check YouTube for the trailer.

childeroland
05-02-2008, 06:31 AM
It's not officially available till Sunday at whysoserious.com/happytrails, but there are bootlegs all over the place online.

Bmwhtly
05-02-2008, 05:01 PM
And when's the film out?

Constantine K
05-02-2008, 08:47 PM
July 18th

Hollan
05-03-2008, 05:03 AM
It's been removed from youtube and I haven't been able to find any of the bootlegs, something I'm usually pretty good at. I'll wait until Sunday!

childeroland
05-04-2008, 01:08 PM
Trailer's up. :D

http://www.whysoserious.com/happytrails/trailer.htm

Didn't get to see it with Iron Man this weekend. *sigh* :cry:

katiemac
05-04-2008, 08:35 PM
Wowwowwow.

Serenity
05-05-2008, 01:34 AM
Trailer's up. :D

http://www.whysoserious.com/happytrails/trailer.htm

Didn't get to see it with Iron Man this weekend. *sigh* :cry:

Wow, it was in the previews when I saw Iron Man today. I have to say if I hadn't known it was Heath Ledger, I would have never guessed. But I'm so excited to see it!

Is it July yet?????

WriteKnight
05-05-2008, 01:48 AM
Michael Caine as Alfred... yeah, that was a brilliant bit of casting too... often goes unoticed.

ChaosTitan
05-05-2008, 02:03 AM
The preview has a tiny little clip in it that (SPOILER!!!!) makes me think we'll be seeing the beginnings of Two-Face in this one. Woohoo!

Hollan
05-05-2008, 06:03 AM
That was awesome. But I feel like a retard b/c I've already seen that trailer. I thought it was a really new one. Oh well. It was really cool and I can't wait to see it. I love Joker!

daverockz
05-06-2008, 11:56 PM
im so excited about this movie. Oh Heath Ledger. He left w/ a bang.

My-Immortal
05-07-2008, 02:20 AM
The preview has a tiny little clip in it that (SPOILER!!!!) makes me think we'll be seeing the beginnings of Two-Face in this one. Woohoo!

I saw on a website last night - can't think of the name now, but I'm sure it would easy enough to find - there was a pic of the new Two-Face (you could actually see the burnt left side). I'm not 100% certain it was accurate, but it was of the actor playing Harvey Dent/Two-face in The Dark Knight, and it was......fairly gruesome (not at all like the Tommy Lee Jones' Two-Face). Fitting for the what Nolan has done so far with these movies. I can't wait for this to come out.

ChaosTitan
05-07-2008, 09:12 PM
Aaron Eckhart rocks. He'll make an awesome Two-Face. :D

James81
06-27-2008, 09:22 PM
Rolling Stone just came out with their review of The Dark Knight.

http://www.rollingstone.com/reviews/movie/16155928/review/21477208/the_dark_knight

That's the link for the article. There are some minor spoilers, but I think it's just enough to get your already wetted appetite drooling.

Bluntly put, from what I've been reading, I might have to make room in my "Top 5 movies of all time" list. Not sure what's going to be bumped though, because The Godfather, Heat, Hoosiers, The Natural, and Rocky are pretty firmly entrenched.

There is so much hype surrounding this movie, I fear that a lot of people are going to get let down.

Not that I don't think it'll be GOOD, but I think a lot of people are going in with HUGE expectations and I'm not sure it's going to deliver on the level that you are saying here. I'd rather go into it as neutral as I can instead of expecting an awesome movie and perhaps being let down a tad.

Jcomp
06-27-2008, 10:25 PM
I think the anticipation for this film speaks to the iconic status of the characters. Particularly The Joker, who is one of the most recognized and popular villains in all of fiction. The same sort of hype (actual, tremendously greater hype) was generated for the 1989 version of Batman.

Tom Johnson
06-27-2008, 11:31 PM
Sorry, I can't get excited about Heath or The Joker. "Batman: The Beginning" was the best of the series todate, but even it pales in comparison to "V For Vendetta". Just my opinion.

"The Weed of Crime Bears Bitter Fruit!"

Gynn
06-28-2008, 04:01 AM
I hope they make a movie on "The Dark Knight Returns" GN someday. So sick.

Chameleon
07-01-2008, 06:19 AM
I'm not a batman fan at all. I didn't like any of the previous ones. But I really liked the trailer to this movie. So I think I'll see it. Plues, there's a sadness factor to this movie. This role quite possibly caused Heath's early demise. I don't want that fact overshadow the movie.

Jcomp
07-10-2008, 12:44 AM
Early reviews (http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/the_dark_knight/) so far are freaking stellar. Only 10 deep, and not from the most lauded, mainstream reviewers, but still, wow. The comparisons to Scorcese are almost cinema-blasphemy, and yet it has me crazier than ever to see this movie, which on a scale of 1-10 now puts me at a "Punching Strangers in the Face."

Celia Cyanide
07-10-2008, 01:18 AM
I hope they make a movie on "The Dark Knight Returns" GN someday. So sick.

I'm just curious...why do so many people seem to hope that they make movies of their favorite comics and graphic novels, but not books?

Jcomp
07-10-2008, 01:21 AM
I'm just curious...why do so many people seem to hope that they make movies of their favorite comics and graphic novels, but not books?

I imagine that people have more faith in a movie based on a comic book not screwing up the source material as much as a movie based on a book. Comic books usually have only so much going on that can't be conveyed visually, by nature of the medium. That's often not the case for books. So people (in my opinion) are more pessimistic about film adaptations of their favorite books.

Not to mention that many favorite books have stories too long and complicated to effectively condense into reasonable running time for a film.

Celia Cyanide
07-10-2008, 01:41 AM
I imagine that people have more faith in a movie based on a comic book not screwing up the source material as much as a movie based on a book. Comic books usually have only so much going on that can't be conveyed visually, by nature of the medium.

Yes, you think that would make it easier, as they technically have a story board. Although there are very, very few movies based on my favorite comic books I've enjoyed.

Pike
07-10-2008, 03:02 AM
I think it's got to do with having "seen" the story in four-color. You read a comic or graphic novel and have this visual residual going through your brain, a nagging run of thoughts based on the artist's representation of the work. They make the characters look like famous stars, they draw elaborate scenes that rival Lucas flims. And the action is begging to hit the screen. So in a nutsheel comics aren't as cerebral as books, IMHO.

And Comp is right about more faith in a comic coming across better because books tend to have a lot background detail and info that shape the story but would slow down a movie. You only have so long to tell the tale.

Now, with that being said... I can't wait another week!!! I've watched countless trailers and captured scenes that leave me drooling. This is gonna be hot!

Pike

nevada
07-10-2008, 03:07 AM
I think also, in some ways, a book is static. That's the story and that is it. People are used to their comic book hero doing different things all the time. Lets face it, they've been around, some of them for 60, 70 years. They evolve,they get different looks, different character traits. So to them, it's just part of the evolution of the character.

Danger Jane
07-10-2008, 03:20 AM
I think also, in some ways, a book is static. That's the story and that is it. People are used to their comic book hero doing different things all the time. Lets face it, they've been around, some of them for 60, 70 years. They evolve,they get different looks, different character traits. So to them, it's just part of the evolution of the character.

I think this has a lot to do with it. A novel is often a standalone. A comic series, however, might well last more than fifty years. This leads to lots of funcharacter and plot discrepancies for a script writer to play around with and create another branch off the great big Spiderman/Batman/X-Men/Whatever tree.

Pike
07-10-2008, 03:21 AM
And the last evolution was phenominal. I still get chills when I watch it.

Pike

Celia Cyanide
07-10-2008, 06:59 AM
They make the characters look like famous stars,

They seldom use these stars for the film. For WANTED, they didn't even try.

Celia Cyanide
07-10-2008, 07:04 AM
I think this has a lot to do with it. A novel is often a standalone. A comic series, however, might well last more than fifty years.

Sometimes, but but not always. The reason I brought this up is because THE DARK KNIGHT RETURNS is a stand alone graphic novel, not an ongoing series.

jamesn65
07-10-2008, 07:36 AM
I think the anticipation for this film speaks to the iconic status of the characters. Particularly The Joker, who is one of the most recognized and popular villains in all of fiction. The same sort of hype (actual, tremendously greater hype) was generated for the 1989 version of Batman.

Batman's got the best villians out there. I'm not even a huge fan of the character, but the villians totally make or break the movie. Honestly, Batman Begins was a bit of a bore in my opinion because I think they could have done much more with the Scarecrow (especially costume-wise). The Joker is reason number one that I'm excited about this one. Up to this point my favorite bat movie is Batman Returns (well, I guess it's actually the Adam West movie, but that's for completely different reasons :))

maestrowork
07-10-2008, 08:09 AM
Also, there are a lot of fanboys and fangirls in comic book readers and they're the ones most eagerly waiting for screen adaptations of their favorite graphic novels. Go to Comic Con and you will see the craze. Book lovers don't seem to have the same level of passion.

Inkdaub
07-10-2008, 11:51 AM
Is it July yet?????

As a matter of fact...

JimmyB27
07-10-2008, 05:32 PM
Good review here - http://www.time.com/time/arts/article/0,8599,1821365,00.html?cnn=yes

Is it the 24th yet?

Pike
07-10-2008, 05:47 PM
Also, there are a lot of fanboys and fangirls in comic book readers and they're the ones most eagerly waiting for screen adaptations of their favorite graphic novels. Go to Comic Con and you will see the craze. Book lovers don't seem to have the same level of passion.

Definitely. I've been to book signings and author events and the crowds are small, but certainly passionate about their author. And then there's the comic cons! Talk about blow out events full of people dressing up and packing plastic wrapped lovelys hoping to get an autograph or twenty.

Another point about the Bats that I don't think I've seen is that he's our James Bond. He's Americas answer to the 007. I recall a great issue of the Justice League, back in the days of JM and Keith when they wrote about the Green Lantern being a sexist jerk and the Martian Manhunter had a jones for Oreo cookies. They depicted Batman on one cover dressed in a fancy suit with two smokin' babes at his side and the cover read "His name is Wayne... Bruce Wayne." They even played him up in Bond fashion in that issue. It was spot on!

One week and freaking.

Pike

Celia Cyanide
07-10-2008, 07:14 PM

What I'm saying is, book lovers often get defensive at the idea of someone adapting their favorite book into a movie. They must have some passion, or it wouldn't bother them.

I'm comic book lover, and I'm not really excited when I hear about a comic I love being made into a movie. I usually don't end up liking it.

childeroland
07-11-2008, 12:15 AM
I'm comic book lover, and I'm not really excited when I hear about a comic I love being made into a movie. I usually don't end up liking it.

Despite the sparkling success of masterpieces like Daredevil and Elektra?

Indy Tarquinson
07-11-2008, 12:25 AM
Is anyone else going mad with the wait? I just came from LA and there are DK billboards everywhere, with a big giant one on the side of a building in Hollywood. So...cool. XD

jamesn65
07-11-2008, 01:20 AM
Despite the sparkling success of masterpieces like Daredevil and Elektra?

And you can't forget those award-winning Fantastic Four films.

maestrowork
07-11-2008, 01:25 AM

So why don't you? Could it just be who you are? I know people who are passionate about their comic books and they just can't wait to see the movies. It's not to say they'd love everything (like someone said -- Daredevil?) but from what I've seen, comic book fans are the most passionate people.

It's not to say some book lovers are not as "crazy" about their beloved books, but they're on the whole more tame than the fanboys and girls.

It could just be that you're a bit different than them.

Also, Comic Con has become the testing ground for movies. Usually they get a bit of a buzz... "Ooh, they're making Iron Man -- we're skeptical." But during Comic Con, that's when the buzz really gets louder or smaller. After they showed the trailer of Iron Man at the last Comic Con, the fans went crazy. Same with Batman Begins. It went from "hmmmm, another Batman movie" to "Wow, I can't wait to see it!" It all started at Comic Con.

Celia Cyanide
07-11-2008, 04:45 AM
So why don't you? Could it just be who you are?

I don't because I think they're usually terrible and nothing like the comics. And most people I know who love comics feel the same way. Generally speaking, I don't think the comic book world translates to the film world. For example, in a comic book world, superheros simply exist. In a film, it usually begins with no superheros and explains how they came to be.

Also, Comic Con has become the testing ground for movies. Usually they get a big of a buzz... "Ooh, they're making Iron Man -- we're skeptical." But during Comic Con, that's when the buzz really gets louder or smaller. After they showed the trailer of Iron Man at the last Comic Con, the fans went crazy. Same with Batman Begins. It went from "hmmmm, another Batman movie" to "Wow, I can't wait to see it!" It all started at Comic Con.

Those are different, because those are actually good movies. In fact, you just named two of the only comic book movies I like.

katiemac
07-11-2008, 05:40 AM
For example, in a comic book world, superheros simply exist. In a film, it usually begins with no superheros and explains how they came to be.

This is a great point. A lot of superhero films deal with the origin story, which I don't usually find as fascinating as the rest of the mythology. It's the logical beginning, sure, but I think that's part of the "dumbed down" nature that comics used to have as a reputation. And when it comes to superheroes against villains, they're usually fighting another incarnation of himself (Iron Man, The Incredible Hulk)--and that also needs an explanation.

That said, I thought Iron Man was a great origin story. I have high hopes for Iron Man II. I just came from The Incredible Hulk which was decent enough, but made well because of that fact it wasn't an origin. Also, there's a plus since Marvel is taking over their own films now.

maestrowork
07-11-2008, 07:00 AM
They're already talking about a posthumous Oscar nomination for Heath Ledger. I think he's going to become a legend of our time like James Dean.

Pike
07-11-2008, 07:04 AM
He deserves it. Just watched A Knight's Tale the other day. Damn movie sucks me in every time.

Pike

maestrowork
07-11-2008, 07:06 AM
Those are different, because those are actually good movies. In fact, you just named two of the only comic book movies I like.

Why are they different? A good movie is a good movie no matter the source material. Same with bad movies. And are you saying that comic book movies are mostly bad, and something like Iron Man is an exception, so why should comic book fans be psyched about them?

I guess I'm not really understanding what you're trying to say...

To me, comic book movies are more about the characters and the concept, the world, and the mythologies. And the visual presentation (for example, Sin City and the upcoming The Spirit are done very much "graphic novel" style). They're not really a direct adaptation, so the fans are more interested in how Hollywood would bring their heroes and worlds to life (Hellboy, for example). Meanwhile, book adaptation is supposed to be based on the actual plot and what was written... so any deviation seems to agitate the book fans, although by and large book fans are not as vocal as comic book fans, for some reasons.

MattW
07-11-2008, 07:07 AM
He deserves it. Just watched A Knight's Tale the other day. Damn movie sucks me in every time.

PikeMe too, I must admit. Bowie music actually makes it harder to resist, and not extra cheesy.

maestrowork
07-11-2008, 07:12 AM
(Never mind... )

Yeah, I think they were one of the first who set such stories to contemporary, rock songs. I was surprised how much I enjoyed a Knight's Tale and thought Ledger did a great job.

Jcomp
07-11-2008, 06:44 PM
Just read that the first trailer for The Watchmen will also be attached to The Dark Knight.

One more week. Seven days. My head's about to asplode....

maestrowork
07-11-2008, 08:39 PM
Tell us how you really feel, J.

Celia Cyanide
07-11-2008, 09:55 PM
Why are they different? A good movie is a good movie no matter the source material.

If that is the case, then why do so many people who love books complain about how Hollywood "ruined" their favorite book? And how "the book is always better"? Why should it be any different for a comic?

And are you saying that comic book movies are mostly bad, and something like Iron Man is an exception, so why should comic book fans be psyched about them?

Yes, Iron Man was a good adaptation.

To me, comic book movies are more about visual presentation (for example, Sin City and the upcoming The Spirit are done very much "graphic novel" style). They're not really a direct adaptation, so the fans are more interested in how Hollywood would bring their heroes and worlds to life (Hellboy, for example). Meanwhile, book adaptation is supposed to be based on the actual plot and what was written...

Why shouldn't a comic book movie be based on an actual plot and what was written? A comic book has visuals that filmmakers can follow, and ready made story boards. In Sin City, they used this, but they don't usually.

maestrowork
07-11-2008, 10:05 PM
If that is the case, then why do so many people who love books complain about how Hollywood "ruined" their favorite book? And how "the book is always better"? Why should it be any different for a comic?

Honestly, I think some of them are sticks in the mud. ;) True, there are bad adaptations that completely veer off the original book and are simply bad movies.... But then there are good adaptations, even if they don't stick to the book. I think some people want to have everything and don't realize that books and movies are very different. You can't possibly fit everything in a book into a movie, and you can't do all that "navel gazing" stuff that novels can.

For example, I thought Atonement was a great adaptation, having read the book and seen the movie. But some people still complained about how the ending was changed, how some parts were cut (e.g. the war scenes), etc. It's like they can never be completely satisfied unless the movie follows the book to a T.

Like why can't they just consider it a great movie as a movie, and not try to compare every single thing from the book? Sometimes die-hard book fans who complain about a movie do irritate me.

Why shouldn't a comic book movie be based on an actual plot and what was written? A comic book has visuals that filmmakers can follow, and ready made story boards. In Sin City, they used this, but they don't usually.

It sure can, but like I said, I think they look at comic books more for the characters and worlds, instead of actual plot. You're right that that the storyboard's already been done, so why not? But I guess filmmakers have their own minds and unless the authors (such as Frank Miller) are directly involved in the production, you're going to have deviations and artistic divergence.

katiemac
07-11-2008, 11:22 PM
Just read that the first trailer for The Watchmen will also be attached to The Dark Knight.

One more week. Seven days. My head's about to asplode....

REALLY? Holy hell, Batman!

Where's this article? :)

katiemac
07-11-2008, 11:25 PM
But some people still complained about how the ending was changed, how some parts were cut (e.g. the war scenes), etc. It's like they can never be completely satisfied unless the movie follows the book to a T.

Just as a side note, I find the Harry Potter films that are the most loosely adapted (3 and 5) to be the best ones. 1,2, and 4, which follow the book rather closely, I dislike. Many friends who are avid Potter fans completely disagree with my assessment and hate, with a lot of passion, the third and fifth films.

She_wulf
07-11-2008, 11:59 PM
They're already talking about a posthumous Oscar nomination for Heath Ledger. I think he's going to become a legend of our time like James Dean.
Dean never got the Oscar (posthumous) despite two nominations.

Jcomp
07-12-2008, 12:00 AM
REALLY? Holy hell, Batman!

Where's this article? :)

Ta-daa (http://www.collider.com/entertainment/interviews/article.asp/aid/8320/tcid/1)!

The guy mentions it in the article. But Zack Snyder's reaction in the video interview and his "When they see shots... [I mean] 'if' they see shots..." basically gives it away.

katiemac
07-12-2008, 12:09 AM
Ta-daa (http://www.collider.com/entertainment/interviews/article.asp/aid/8320/tcid/1)!

The guy mentions it in the article. But Zack Snyder's reaction in the video interview and his "When they see shots... [I mean] 'if' they see shots..." basically gives it away.

I was crossing my fingers on this. I guess it'll be a surprise on Thursday. (Yeah, Thursday. I'll be there at midnight.)

maestrowork
07-12-2008, 12:12 AM
I'm sitting this one out just to spike Jcomp and Katie.

(yeah, like who am I kidding?)

childeroland
07-12-2008, 12:26 AM
Some people couldn't get tickets to a Thursday screening; no need to brag.:tongue

I was crossing my fingers on this. I guess it'll be a surprise on Thursday. (Yeah, Thursday. I'll be there at midnight.)

Pike
07-12-2008, 12:46 AM
Ticket sales are going mad. Many theaters have added 2 and 4 am showings after selling out the midnight madness. People love the Bat! (when he's presented by a team not trying to play him and the rest of the cast like idiots. Sorry - beefing about the last couple outings)

Pike

Celia Cyanide
07-12-2008, 01:04 AM
Like why can't they just consider it a great movie as a movie, and not try to compare every single thing from the book? Sometimes die-hard book fans who complain about a movie do irritate me.

Oh, I am with you 100% on that particular point. The Shining the film is different from the novel, and perhaps someone prefers the story in the novel to the story in the film. But the film is not bad cinema. But any means.

And I find it ironic that book fans would complain about Hollywood "ruining" their favorite books, but those same people seem to have no problem with comic book movies. Despite the fact that comics mean just as much, if not more, to fans.

It sure can, but like I said, I think they look at comic books more for the characters and worlds, instead of actual plot. You're right that that the storyboard's already been done, so why not? But I guess filmmakers have their own minds and unless the authors (such as Frank Miller) are directly involved in the production, you're going to have deviations and artistic divergence.

I wish that they would make it more about the actual plot, because that is just as important to comics as characters. And yes, the films are often about the worlds, and yet they still don't capture the worlds. In a comic book world, superheros simply exist. Everybody knows and accepts this. Most comic book movies, instead, try to bring superheros into OUR world, a world in which there are no superheros, until one appears.

Pike
07-12-2008, 01:45 AM
I can get pretty pissy about a failed adaptation of a comic book movie. Thinking about the past Bat flicks, Daredevil, the unseen Corman version of the Fantastic Four, even the Punisher movie, I saw veiled attempts at camp humor stretched across a thin plot and characterization (damn, that's a big word). I won't list the specifics but I went into these movies knowing that they won't stick to my preconceived notions as to what these characters will say and do. And after watching them felt that the mark was missed horribly.

As for comic book plots, they've always been rather straight forward: bad guy makes life hell for good guy. Exceptions come like the Watchmen that broke conventions. So I don't expect too much in the way of plot but hope for some twists and turns to make it worth it. Spider-Man 2 was worth it in that fashion. Peter's struggle against his wants and desires blown to hell by life, love, and one mad villian make for some riviting viewing. Y'know how we say that characters create plot - his story was dripping with it.

I'm thinking that the fervor comes from millions of comic books coming out month after month. We wait for years for a sequel to a great novel but never have to wait more then a couple for weeks for that comic. We've seen and read hundreds of them and have been saturated by them. I've got a thousand or more in my basement from my rampant collector days. So when I hear that one is coming to the big screen there's a bejillion images whipping through my head just dying to be revealed on the big screen. This is kind of in line with what Maestro pointed out before that they are our modern mythological heroes, our Greek gods come to life and ready for worship. And I'll buck up a ten spot over and over again to see them.

Yep, I'm a hopeless fanboy. One dying to see this movie.

Pike

Vincent
07-16-2008, 05:47 PM
Just saw it. Was longer than I expected. My pepsi ran out half way through.

JimmyB27
07-16-2008, 06:01 PM
Just saw it. Was longer than I expected. My pepsi ran out half way through.
Gaaah! Eight days until it's out here! :(

III
07-17-2008, 03:18 AM
TOMORROW NIGHT!!! MIDNIGHT!!! I CAN'T WAAAAAAAIT!!!!

Pike
07-17-2008, 04:05 AM
I'll be one of those slackers waiting until next week to catch it so hopefully there'll still be plenty of Pepsi and clean seats! *sending dark, envious thoughts at Beezle and III*

Pike

Chameleon
07-17-2008, 04:07 AM
I'll be one of those slackers waiting until next week to catch it so hopefully there'll still be plenty of Pepsi and clean seats! *sending dark, envious thoughts at Beezle and III*

Pike

Me too. Only because it's cheaper and much quieter to go during the week. I can't wait!

Pike
07-17-2008, 04:13 AM
Here-here... But the wait is a killer!

Pike

katiemac
07-17-2008, 07:22 AM
TOMORROW NIGHT!!! MIDNIGHT!!! I CAN'T WAAAAAAAIT!!!!

In 24 hours I will be, if not sitting in my seat, standing in line outside the theater. :D

maestrowork
07-17-2008, 08:27 AM
I know Don Allen will be waiting in line, too --... to see Mama Mia.

(sorry Don)

katiemac
07-18-2008, 05:45 AM
Leaving now! :D Only two more hours.

childeroland
07-18-2008, 06:14 AM
I scored a noon ticket at an IMAX showing. No reason you need to know that, just crowing. :)

ChaosTitan
07-18-2008, 07:30 AM
All I ask, for the sake of those who can't see it right away (like me), add a Spoiler alert to your posts tomorrow. :) If'n ya spoil anything, of course.

Pike
07-18-2008, 08:19 AM
Not a bad idea. I might be seeing it tomorrow afternoon. My wife ordered tickets on line but life has a funny way of mucking up the simplest of plans. If I make it I promise to bite my tongue until it bleeds. Already got a head start on it.

Pike

maestrowork
07-18-2008, 08:21 AM
SPOILER...

Bruce Wayne is Batman!

Bwhahahahaha... sorry I ruined the movie for you.

Writer2011
07-18-2008, 08:59 AM
I'll be seeing it at some point.

katiemac
07-18-2008, 11:31 AM
It's way too early for me to talk spoilers, so you don't have to worry about that in this post.

Just. Go. See. It.

Ageless Stranger
07-18-2008, 12:23 PM
It's not out in the UK! :( Damn you all!

JimmyB27
07-18-2008, 12:26 PM
It's not out in the UK! :( Damn you all!
Or in Ireland. I'm going to have to wait until NEXT FRIDAY!!!

Aaaaaaaagh!

Ageless Stranger
07-18-2008, 02:43 PM
At least someone feels my pain. Sucks doesn't it?

dragonjax
07-18-2008, 04:23 PM
I'm thinking of going during lunch today. But my hubby may be pissed at me for going without him. Hmm. Which is more important: my Loving Husband's continued good will, or seeing TDK when I'm guaranteed a seat?

Hmmm.

Pike
07-18-2008, 05:08 PM
That's spousal abuse, Jax. I discovered the true purpose for my wife buying the tickets... she snuck off to see Iron Man! I know, it's been out forever but we don't got out to the movies that often. Guilt tickets hurt but I'll cope.

Pike

childeroland
07-19-2008, 12:22 AM
When y'all see it and write here...what did you think about that ending?

Cybernaught
07-19-2008, 02:03 AM
The best part of The Dark Knight was the Watchmen trailer.

The pencil disappearing trick is a distant second.

Hollan
07-19-2008, 05:30 AM
OMG! Joker is awesome! Better even than in the trailers. Um, that's all for now. . . .

Indy Tarquinson
07-19-2008, 07:15 AM
Still reeling from the utter awesomeness that was DK. Hype--you have been fulfilled.

Can we write reviews rife with spoilers here? I have a huge review I want to blab on about.

Oh yeah, one more thing: Batman's eyes! Glowing white eyes like there should be, you made my day, Nolan. XD

katiemac
07-19-2008, 09:41 AM
No real spoilers here, but still ... read with caution. To others, please don't quote this post without realizing the hidden text will appear. Thanks!!

When y'all see it and write here...what did you think about that ending?

If you mean the last few minutes--I loved it. I thought it fit perfectly with the Batman themes and persona. Although I'm a bit surprised character X died so soon, it makes for quite a good setup for the third film (ie: hating Batman). Looking forward to the inner psyche to develop a bit more next time around.

WriterInChains
07-19-2008, 10:26 AM
Lovelovelove this movie! I truly dug Iron Man, but TDK blows it out of the water.

I thought the ending was perfect (pretty much for the reasons katiemac cites), but my daughter didn't like it as much. Can't really say why without a spoiler & I don't want to give anything away to someone who doesn't want to know. I love going into the theater not knowing more than the broad strokes—even "it has a twist ending" would be too much of a spoiler. :)

To be honest, I'm shocked Ledger had that in him. I never thought of him that way before (completely batshit-crazy). Deep & awesome performance.

Can't wait to see it again!

Writer2011
07-19-2008, 10:40 AM
I'm familiar with the comic book and at least this series follows the comic book (from what i've seen so far). I'm SO glad someone is actually following the comic book. Unlike the Spiderman series--give me a break.

Anywho---I already know some of the stuff that happens and haven't seen it yet

Pike
07-19-2008, 07:20 PM
I couldn't keep up! Just when things started to slow down the chaos broke the meter!!

As said before, Ledger was remarkable as the Joker. He was weird, filthy, sick and depraved. And - this ain't no spoiler -I enjoyed watching Gordon running his crime unit like a cop with a brain. It wasn't a bunch of Keystone cops dying for Batman's protection. Smart, very smart.

Pike

maestrowork
07-19-2008, 07:58 PM
I think people are itching to post spoilers and discuss the film. I'd say go ahead.

I won't be visiting this thread until I've seen the film.

See ya.

gina
07-19-2008, 09:02 PM
I really loved this movie. It lived up to the hype and then some. I won't spoil it for anyone who has yet to see it. I will say Heath was the best part of the film. He terrified me, and he commanded the screen whenever he was on it. I do have a full review on my celebrity blog for those that don't mind spoilers.

mscelina
07-19-2008, 09:21 PM
I'm going to see it in a few hours. I'll post my reaction then.

Hollan
07-19-2008, 11:07 PM
Possible spoilers. You have been warned!

I kept having to remind myself that the Joker was Heath Ledger. Not that he wasn't a good actor, I've just never seen him disappear into a role before like that. I was compelled and terrified by him. But, I gotta say I loved the disappearing pencil trick, lol.

I also love Gary Oldman as Gordon *swoon* He gives such a subtle and lovely performance. Plus, I just love Commissioner Gordon.

My one pet peeve, and I know it was rated PG-13 but still, where the hell was the blood? People get shot, yet they don't bleed? What? Oh, and Harvey getting out of bed after what happened to him, that's not going to happen. Burns are incredibly painful and prone to infection. Okay, it was just a movie. . . .

childeroland
07-20-2008, 12:11 AM
But is Two-Face really dead? I think Nolan would do it, given Ras's fate in Begins, but I keep hearing speculation Dent survived. I don't think so, assuming the fifth dead person Batman lets himself be blamed for IS Dent.

I wonder if Batman really had to take the blame for Dent's murders though? I suppose it works thematically but I'm not sure why Gordon doesn't pin those deaths on the Joker since he did set Two-Face off.

No real spoilers here, but still ... read with caution. To others, please don't quote this post without realizing the hidden text will appear. Thanks!!

katiemac
07-20-2008, 01:19 AM
Also note to those who are skimming and are spoiler-skittish, don't read the backthread when you go to post. The blue background will make any hidden text appear. :)

My one pet peeve, and I know it was rated PG-13 but still, where the hell was the blood? People get shot, yet they don't bleed? What? Oh, and Harvey getting out of bed after what happened to him, that's not going to happen. Burns are incredibly painful and prone to infection. Okay, it was just a movie. . . .

You know, I'm glad it wasn't bloody. The Joker is straight psychological horror. It's not about actual pain, but the thought of what's impending. I got chills without having to actual see the results, and to a point I think the blood could have been very distracting.

SPOILERS

childeroland=I wonder if Batman really had to take the blame {snip}

I think he did, yes. Because the film was made up of dichotomies ... the White Knight/the Dark Knight, the Joker/Batman, rules/chaos, choose who lives/dies, the ferries, Two Face himself, obviously. The film belonged to the villains, and so this film was not just the development of Two-Face (because let's face it, there IS no development for the Joker), but also about Batman becoming the villain. It's only appropriate, again thematically speaking and keeping to the Batman tradition, that the Dark Knight kill the White. More logically, the Joker was in custody at the time. And yes, I do think Dent is dead.

On the other hand, they may make some alterations considering real life.

End Spoilers

Okay, next time me thinks I'm not going to block out any text. ;) I'm giving it until Sunday to start posting real plot points ... I'll probably have seen it a second time by then anyway.

maestrowork
07-20-2008, 02:44 AM
Seen it. It was good. But my complaint is the same as with the last one: some action sequence is too tight, too dark, and the editing too fast for me to know what the heck is going on. Also, the climax is a bit rushed with multiple threads going on so I may have to watch it a second time to understand everything. But I agree that the ending is logical (at least in terms of themes and the comic books) for the development of Batman, who is after all, the "Dark" Knight and not Superman.

Pike
07-20-2008, 03:03 AM
You know, I hadn't thought too much about the fight scenes until you mentioned it. Bale showed off his chops in Equillibrium; he's capable. So why not give us a better view of the Bat fights? It's a point to push.

katiemac
07-20-2008, 03:13 AM
You know, I hadn't thought too much about the fight scenes until you mentioned it. Bale showed off his chops in Equillibrium; he's capable. So why not give us a better view of the Bat fights? It's a point to push.

I didn't notice the lack of fight scenes when I was watching it, either. I did notice a lack of Christian Bale in general, which I'm not calling as a negative (or a plus). I just think the film was busy focusing on other things.

But as someone who yawned over the Batmobile in the first film ... the Batcycle/Batpod was freaking sweet. :)

WriteKnight
07-20-2008, 03:14 AM
Loved.

Absolutely. Loved. It.

Best. Super Hero. Script. Ever.

TO be fair, you can't compare this Batman to Iron Man, because Iron Man was locked into being an 'origin' film - the story line was set. "How did Iron Man become Iron Man?" So you have to compare Iron Man to the first Batman origin film. In which case, I prefer Iron Man.

But this... this... this was amazing.

So many layers, so much subtext. Like sipping an amazing wine, and then feeling the 'finish' on the pallete... yeah, it resonates.

Ledger - We hardly knew ye. Rest in peace. You did good.

Interesting thing about the action sequences. In Batman Begins, there's plenty of Ninja chop-socky martial arts. In the first fight of this film, I was immediately struck by how slow he seemed - SPOILER - then he makes the request for a better suit, that enables better head mobility - brilliant. However, the editing and shots were too tight for my taste as well. But then I'm not only a videographer/screenwriter - I'm a fight choreographer, so I want to SEE and FOLLOW the fight. A good fight is like a good dialogue - people shouting at the same time is effective for a moment, but not sustained.

I'll definitely go see it again on the big screen, it deserves it.If I can find it on IMAX I'll watch it there.

SPOILER - Harvey Dent IS dead - even if Two Faced is alive in Arkham.

maestrowork
07-20-2008, 03:22 AM
The IMAX is sold out until Monday! I had no choice but see it on a regular screen.

Definitely not enough Bale. Which is strange considering the almost 3-hour running time. I'd like to see more Bruce Wayne, too -- how he masquerades himself as the playboy trust fund baby. But like Katie said, there were a lot of other things going on. Ledger's Joker is brilliant. Dark, broody, depraved, creepy, and psychologically scary just like Hannibal Lecter without the camp.

The Batpod is one of the best things in the film. ;)

Also I noticed they've changed the looks of Gotham. This time around, they use more real locations (Chicago). In Batman Begins, they used more CGI. It's actually a welcome change. I really enjoyed the realistic feel of TDK. And of course, as a Hong Kong native, I love the scenes set in the city, especially as Batman stands on top of the Financial Center Tower (tallest building in HK), it sent chills through my back.

katiemac
07-20-2008, 03:29 AM
Definitely not enough Bale. Which is strange considering the almost 3-hour running time. I'd like to see more Bruce Wayne, too -- how he masquerades himself as the playboy trust fund baby.

This is what I'm banking on for the third film. They have the setup from The Dark Knight to pull this off exceptionally well, so I'm hoping they follow through.

maestrowork
07-20-2008, 03:36 AM
One other thing that bugged me (SPOILERS):

After Rachel's death, Harvey seems to be the only one that shows genuine grief -- that pushes him to the dark side -- it kind of leaves me a bit unsatisfied that Bruce and Alfred or Gordon, while truly sorry, seemed to have brushed off her death as "well, it's one of those things. You did the right thing." Just not enough emotional depth in the follow up. Didn't make me feel the emotional impact of that fateful decision (for Batman to save Harvey instead of Rachel, knowing he has the better chance).

Pike
07-20-2008, 03:36 AM
There was a lot of characters to keep in the mix so i didn't feel slighted at not seeing one more then another. I actually felt they managed them well. But as far as the fights go, I started thinking about BB, when Bats is smacking around Falcone's goons at the shipping yard and how the camera kept moving so much I couldn't tell who or what he was hitting. As a fight-scene connoisseur I was bummed. Though there were some better scenes in TDK. When Bats stormed the night club for (name forgotten) mobster - that was raw and brutal!

Pike
07-20-2008, 03:38 AM
Adding to M's spoiler comment: That bugged me too. I expected one man in particular to go absolutely ballistic.

katiemac
07-20-2008, 03:38 AM
Responding to Ray's post above ....

I agree with you on that. Again, I'm hoping that's something that really develops in the next film.

However, (SPOILER) I thought Batman DID choose to save Rachel. The Joker just lied about who was where, knowing whomever Batman chose to live would really be the one to die. Just another reason The Joker was scary as hell.

Pike
07-20-2008, 03:39 AM
Damn straight!

maestrowork
07-20-2008, 03:54 AM
However, (SPOILER)

I had to watch it again to hear which address goes with whom when the Joker tells Batman "only one can be saved." Again, everything goes on so fast it's really hard to tell sometimes.

WriteKnight
07-20-2008, 04:06 AM
Katiemac is correct in her 'hearing' of the address, which I assumed would be exactly what happened.

You could be right in that the third film will 'complete' a trilogy - if you look at it as a 'masterwork' on the creation of the Batman mythos. The third film would be about setting him in stone, polishing his psyche- and I like that. Just don't introduce Robin - please.

katiemac
07-20-2008, 04:08 AM
The third film would be about setting him in stone, polishing his psyche- and I like that. Just don't introduce Robin - please.

Nolan has been fairly outspoken that he does not want to introduce Robin into this franchise.

maestrowork
07-20-2008, 04:09 AM
SI think Orlando Bloom would play one heck of a Robin.S

That said (with an evil smile), I think they did hint at Robin in BB (I thought the kid he saved, about 10 years old, would have logically grown up to be Robin). Anyway, Christian Bale had (jokingly) said that he would quit if they cast Robin in the franchise.

Of course, we all know who Batgirl is going to be...

mscelina
07-20-2008, 05:16 AM
*A FEW SPOILERS*

Just got back. Loved it overall, although I do agree with the feeling that things were a bit rushed. Ledger was outstanding in his portrayal of the DK Joker--dangerous and malicious but in a very intellectual sort of way. His scene with Dent in the hospital may be the scene that gets him nominated for and ultimately awarded the Oscar. It was well-written, psychologically terrifying, and brilliantly played. I think the overall attention to detail in the script may have contributed to the feeling that we weren't seeing enough of Batman, but at the end it all made sense. Further upthread, someone said that this movie was development for the concept of Batman as the villian and I have to agree.

Not sure where this is going. Wonder if the cameo of the scarecrow in the beginning sequence was an indication of things to come? A subplot could have developed from that,but it was dropped.

And you're right, Ray--I much preferred the real locations. I was glad that the CGI Gotham had disappeared--no more Wayne Tower with the train track running to it--and the scenes in Hong Kong were cinematically gorgeous.

As for the emotional development, I think that was kind of the point. Bruce Wayne was in love with Rachel, but Batman was the one who made the wrong decision on which address to go to. So, even though he did what was 'right,' Batman ultimately failed. In order to do 'right' in the future, he has to suppress his emotions in order to be successful--or so he thinks.

As for Alfred, when he burned Rachel's letter, I think that his emotional response to her death was mitigated by Bruce's blame of himself and assurance in his mind that she was going to marry him. Loyalty made him keep the truth from Bruce, and as a result, he may have been too angry to grieve.

If that makes any sense. Just my opinions, but I'll wait until the second go-around before I set them in stone. But just...WOW. What a great movie. I really enjoyed it.

Sarita
07-20-2008, 05:21 AM
I saw it last night, too. I really can only say WOW. I want to see it again.

Hollan
07-20-2008, 05:22 AM
The third film would be about setting him in stone, polishing his psyche- and I like that. Just don't introduce Robin - please.

I love Robin, at least Tim Drake and Jason Todd. Dick Grayson was so-so for me. Although I do like Nightwing. I'm not sure if they should introduce Robin though, might be a tad cheesy. But if they did get Orlando Bloom I don't think I'd mind ^_^

ChaosTitan
07-20-2008, 05:29 AM
I've edited the thread title for those who wish to discuss actual plot elements in greater detail. I'll be back after I've seen it on Tuesday. :D

WriteKnight
07-20-2008, 05:54 AM
NOt meaning to hijack, more as a tangent - I LOVED the new Bond preview too! But I'm liking the whole revival of the 'dark tragic' hero that is both Bond and Batman. So I'm looking forward to Bond. It's been a banner year for HEROES

And now that I think BACK on it, yeah ... maybe there coulda been some more remorse/reflection after the loss - But I think that's what Hitchcock refers to as a 'refridgerator moment' - you know, you've made it home, gone to bed, up raiding the fridge and you think "Hey... wait a minute, why didn't they just...?" Hitchcock says with any luck/skill - the moment slips by cause the plot is moving so fast you don't have time to notice or feel it. In which case the pacing - as others have noticed - is both a blessing and a curse.

Indy Tarquinson
07-20-2008, 07:16 AM
Spoilers be here: << They weren't kidding when they called this the 'Dark' Knight. It was incredibly bleak which contrasted interestingly enough with a bright and shiny Gotham. The city is healing itself I suppose.

Yeah I thought that Bruce would go nuts after Rachel's death. He seemed more passionate about Gordon's 'death' rather than Rachel's, considering how much she means to him and how much he uses her as an anchor and hope for a normal life. It's like his chances for a normal life going up in flames with her.

Dent stole the show too though, and I found myself really rooting for him even though I knew he wasn't gonna make it as a good guy for long. He was a really good guy, except for that one scene with the coin, but other than that they did a great job at setting him high up for his fall.

I honestly think he's dead because otherwise he's gonna get a giant raging infection with that big of an open wound if he didn't die from the fall.

I wish they had more Bruce in here though. T__T I'm a Bruce fangirl, I admit it. I thought it was funny when he wrestled Dent into that closet and used his 'Batman' voice when acting Batman-like. Which actually makes sense to me, especially if he's doing it subconciously. I kinda wish they played more on the duality of Two Face/Dent and Batman/Bruce more, I wanted to see some of that "We" talk from Two Face, fighting over himself, etc.

But still, the Joker-Batman scenes were straight from the comic books. I don't think my comic book sensitivity has been this pleased by a movie, ever. They talked exactly how they did in the comics, acted the same way, so thank you Nolan for getting it right.

And Joker was freaky. I'd never been scared by a so-called 'superhero movie' villain before. I thought it interesting they established his evilness before they started up on his humor. He got funnier and funnier as the movie progressed.

I think the ending was interesting, and does it make Batman more of a hero to take the rap for Dent and become the bad guy in people's hearts and minds? I thought it was incredibly noble in a bleak way. >> Spoilers be endin' here.

childeroland
07-20-2008, 08:23 AM
I was surprised by the Joker articulating his anarchist philosophy, especially in the hospital scene with Dent and the interrogation scene with the Bat (unless he was just screwing with them). He's a bit more Anton Chigurh-ish than I expected and that was a pleasant shock. Scariest moment for me: "I think we're destined to do this forever."

maestrowork
07-20-2008, 10:12 AM
SPOILERS of course....

To me, he was lying. The point about him "not planning" is obviously a lie. He plans. He planned everything. You can do what he did with the hospitals or the ferries or the prison break without planning. But he's using reverse psychology (note he pushed Dent's gun to his forehead) to trick Dent into his side. The Joker truly is one incredibly freaky mother. And the nurse's uniform is just about the funniest and creepiest thing I've seen in a long time (and in that moment made me sad that the actor's gone for good -- he could have done so many great things). Long live Heath; you've done well.

Again, perhaps it was suitable for the theme, but I really do find the emotional responses w.r.t. Rachel, especially from Bruce and Alfred, lacking and rushed. I agree that there was more emotion for Gordon's "death", and that just didn't sit well with me on a gut level.

Jcomp
07-20-2008, 11:41 AM
Just got back...

This is likely going to sound like fanboy gushing. Indeed, it almost certainly is.

But wow. How awesome was that? I feel like someone pushed me out of an airplane with a parachute that I had to strap on and figure out how to operate on the way down. I'm still breathless. My brain is on fire. I think I'm going to stay up all night writing.

Christopher Nolan, you've already shown this with the first movie, The Prestige and Memento (and, to a lesser extent, Insomnia), but you're a brilliant director.

To all of the cast, Mr. Ledger, of course, in particular, you are excellent at your craft. You brought unbelievable characters completely to life.

My only gripe is that the movie felt truncated. People here have posted about the emotions lacking in regard to one particular event, and I agree, and really felt throughout the film that certain moments weren't given a full opportunity. I think it's the unfortunate consequence of having to meet certain expectations for a summer movie. If they released a 4-hour Director's Cut in theaters I'd be 1st in line, because with all of the stories going on there just wasn't enough room for all of the quieter moments that the characters deserved.

Still, again... wow.

katiemac
07-20-2008, 12:52 PM
And the nurse's uniform is just about the funniest and creepiest thing I've seen in a long time (and in that moment made me sad that the actor's gone for good -- he could have done so many great things). Long live Heath; you've done well.

Not all, but some of the comics I've read (most notably The Dark Knight Returns) played the Joker as an effeminate character. Although I didn't necessarily think Ledger played it that way (one or two tiny allusions throughout the movie), I thought the nurse's uniform was a deliberate nod to the comics in that sense. Not that this Joker was supposed to be taken that way, but... I don't know, it was one more point that made me appreciate the adaptation. One more point that told me Nolan's a fan, has read each plotline and taken a lot into consideration when building his scripts and stories.

Pike
07-20-2008, 06:11 PM
Did someone say a 4 hour director's cut? How much and when?

Y'know, looking back, when Bruce is sitting in the penthouse with half his costume trailing behind him, he came across as stunned and coming down from one hell of an adrenalin high. That could have been how they intended it. Just a guess. I kept forgetting that in the comics he's considered a cold hearted bastard. Logical to a fault. A manipulative perfectionist. He's got all the makings of a serial kiler to be honest.

But for me the biggest disappointment was I figured out that Rachel was going to die so it lost some momentum for me.I hate it when I spoil a movie for myself.

melaniehoo
07-20-2008, 06:43 PM
I saw this last night and I'd like to thank everyone for analyzing the end because I saw it in SPANISH and couldn't understand the conclusion. Phew! I'd really like to see it again in English because while Heath was still super creepy, I want to hear his voice.

I agree with the comments on expecting more emotion from Bruce on Rachel's death, and I agree that he thought he was going to the address where she was. The Joker told them wrong on purpose.

Final note: LOVED LOVED LOVED all the Chicago scenes. A couple were filmed within blocks from where I used to work, and the scene with the Lambourghini crash was a block from where I met my husband. :)

Takvah
07-20-2008, 06:48 PM
The consequences, the tearing down of the righteous to their primal base ie no better than The Joker himself... fucking brilliant. There is nothing else that can be said. That Ledger is gone is a tragedy, but his character has left an indelible mark on the future of the franchise. Finally the two sides of the coin that are Batman and The Joker has truly been explored. That's why the introduction of Two Face wasn't too over the top. That damn coin was symbolism not where it concerns Dent, but where it concerns Batman and the Joker. Dent like Gotham itself was just along for the ride.

The lack of a real ending was just icing on the cake. I don't know where they go from here, I don't know what would constitute better... just amazing.

katiemac
07-20-2008, 07:17 PM
No hidden text!

But for me the biggest disappointment was I figured out that Rachel was going to die so it lost some momentum for me.I hate it when I spoil a movie for myself.

Yes. Unfortunately I figured it out, too, when Harvey asked Alfred if he had known Rachel all her life, and Alfred said, "Not yet." Nice bit of foreshadowing. Didn't necessarily ruin her death for me, because that entire scenario was so rought with mythology (the transformation of Two-Face) that it still worked on multiple levels.

Y'know, looking back, when Bruce is sitting in the penthouse with half his costume trailing behind him, he came across as stunned and coming down from one hell of an adrenalin high. That could have been how they intended it. Just a guess. I kept forgetting that in the comics he's considered a cold hearted bastard.

Yes, I thought this also. It's out of character for Batman to appear without his mask, so to have him sitting in Bruce's apartment (rather than a Batcave) in only half-costume (split personality much? :)) showcased his grief. But sure, they could have taken it further.

Scariest moment for me: "I think we're destined to do this forever."

Perfect, perfect line. Again, mythology-wise, this is the epitome of their relationship. It's unfortunate there will only be one film to really explore the two characters together in this way, but what they were able to do was fantastic.

maestrowork
07-20-2008, 09:17 PM
"You complete me." That was just a perfect line on every level (plus a dig at Jerry MacGuire).

ChunkyC
07-20-2008, 11:26 PM
Saw it last night, just filed my column.

WOW

Great movie, great cast. Best comic book adaptation I've ever seen, by a long shot. Christopher Nolan deserves to be carried through the city in triumph on the shoulders of Batman fans everywhere.

As for Bruce not reacting enough to Rachel's death; I think he was devastated by it (sitting in the penthouse with the head of his suit off) and buried it as he got on with the job at hand. He didn't have time to grieve, or at least he told himself he didn't have time. With Gordon, he could pretend to grieve since he knew Gordon wasn't really dead.

Not all, but some of the comics I've read (most notably The Dark Knight Returns) played the Joker as an effeminate character. Although I didn't necessarily think Ledger played it that way (one or two tiny allusions throughout the movie), I thought the nurse's uniform was a deliberate nod to the comics in that sense. Not that this Joker was supposed to be taken that way, but... I don't know, it was one more point that made me appreciate the adaptation. One more point that told me Nolan's a fan, has read each plotline and taken a lot into consideration when building his scripts and stories.
How true. There were so many 'nods' in the movie. I really laughed at the bit about Bruce wanting to be able to move his head in the new Batsuit. Bit of a friendly poke at Burton/Keaton there, as was the climax with the Joker hanging off a building by a cable around his leg.

Pike
07-21-2008, 01:22 AM
Whether or not the nurses' outfit was a nod to many classic bits, I just loved watching the Joker plod out of the hospital as it blows up then stop when he realizes that not all of the explosions went off. Pure comedic gold.

maestrowork
07-21-2008, 01:27 AM
I have to admit I'm usually a very quiet, considerate audience. But there were times during the movie that I couldn't help but say things like, "Yeah" or "Wow" or "Augh" or "Shit" and I laughed at a few things... And then I got all embarrassed.

maestrowork
07-21-2008, 01:32 AM
Dark Night smashes many box office records:

http://www.usatoday.com/life/movies/news/2008-07-20-boxoffice_N.htm

... including overall opening weekend take ($153 million), single day (beating out Spider-Man), opening midnight showings (beating out Star Wars: Revenge of the Sith), IMAX, etc. etc.

WriteKnight
07-21-2008, 02:19 AM
Numbers aren't complete, but based on ticket prices, Spiderman may have sold more tickets opening weekend.

Factoring in higher admission prices, "Spider-Man 3" may have sold slightly more tickets than "The Dark Knight."

At 2007's average price of $6.88, "Spider-Man 3" sold 21.96 million tickets over opening weekend. Media By Numbers estimates today's average movie prices at $7.08, which means "The Dark Knight" would have sold 21.94 million tickets.

Revenue totals for "The Dark Knight" could change when final numbers are released Monday

kuwisdelu
07-21-2008, 02:25 AM
Fucking brilliant.

Best comic book adaption I've ever seen, too. I'm so ecstatic they're finally making Batman movies worthy of Batman. The old movies, frankly, never did the Dark Knight justice. Now, Nolan is finally giving him his deserved piece of big-screen immortality. I really loved the whole bleakness of the storyline, and the general darkness of the whole film. One of the darkest mainstream films I've seen, and I loved it.

They did great with every character. The script was brilliant. The actors were excellent. Heath Ledger will be the Joker always, and, as Gary Oldman said, he definitely went out with a bang. And what a bang. Harvey Dent's character was brilliant, too. Their depiction of Two-Face was excellent. And of course, Bruce/Batman was amazing. (Although I agree they should have done more for his mourning Rachel.)

Jcomp
07-21-2008, 02:26 AM
Speaking of the Gordon thing, I have to say that his big comeback was brilliantly executed. As a fan, you see it coming to an extent just because the character is too critical to the mythos to actually be gone. Nonetheless, up to that point The Joker has always been one step ahead, so for them to turn the tables with his surprise comeback was officially awesome.

So far as Rachel not being mourned by Bruce and Alfred enough, I agree, but I also think they didn't want it to just descend into one of those "Women in Refrigerators" moments where the love interest is killed to give the hero unnecessary additional angst (Bruce is already fighting due to witnessing the death of his parents), so they didn't focus on his mourning as much as Harvey's (where I feel it's a little more needed: Two-Face's sudden hero-to-villain turn was always a bit of a stretch. I mean you're buddies with a billionaire who has access to technology that can create James Bond / Mission Impossible worthy gadgets; you can get the best facial reconstruction ever. He needs another reason to turn and they supplied it.)

Damn, I can't wait to see this again.

ChunkyC
07-21-2008, 02:41 AM
Numbers aren't complete, but based on ticket prices, Spiderman may have sold more tickets opening weekend.

Factoring in higher admission prices, "Spider-Man 3" may have sold slightly more tickets than "The Dark Knight."

At 2007's average price of $6.88, "Spider-Man 3" sold 21.96 million tickets over opening weekend. Media By Numbers estimates today's average movie prices at $7.08, which means "The Dark Knight" would have sold 21.94 million tickets.

Revenue totals for "The Dark Knight" could change when final numbers are released Monday
Cripes, if it's that close now, once the final numbers are in DK should have the record handily.

Cybernaught
07-21-2008, 03:08 AM
This is a groundbreaking movie. This proves that comic adaptations can kick the pants off original films and can play with the big boys any day.

MattW
07-21-2008, 07:54 AM
Just came back - loved it!

The theater was full, as were probably the remaining 5 showings tonight.

They even had extra security, but I can't see why.

MattW
07-21-2008, 08:01 AM
Also - previews included Starship Troopers 3 (direct to DVD in time for the Trilogy). Wait - there was a second ST? I remember having a nightmare that such an atrocity was made, but I thought it was a urban legend, like any Highlander sequels.

War Games coming to theaters again for 1 night to prepare for the upcoming sequel. Huh? Matthew Broderick is going to fight the government with his 14.4 modem again?

katiemac
07-21-2008, 09:06 AM
I have to admit I'm usually a very quiet, considerate audience. But there were times during the movie that I couldn't help but say things like, "Yeah" or "Wow" or "Augh" or "Shit" and I laughed at a few things... And then I got all embarrassed.

Same. My theater was kind of rowdy--a little TOO rowdy, where I think they were laughing in horribly wrong places--but I had my exclamations, too.

Extra points because, even knowing the mythology, I could still be surprised. I even found myself footage from the trailers (the toppling 18-wheeler, anyone?), which generally for me is really hard to do. Kicks the pants of other movies (with all original material!) where I just sit there and predict everything.

I gotta say, I give marketing big points on this one. They could have sold the farm but they kept enough secrets (and kept them REALLY well) that the movie's turns were still exciting. Of course, they had a phenomenal script to start and a great Heath Ledger performance that they didn't have to reveal Two Face. Smart, smart move.

MattW
07-21-2008, 03:19 PM
Everyone was expecting Two Face to be the continued villain for the next film, but I think killing him was an incredible move. A tease of foreshadowing that made you think too far ahead.

WriteKnight
07-21-2008, 04:28 PM
I'm still believing Two Face is NOT dead. I'm thinking he is in Arkham. Sure, they had a funeral for Harvey Dent.

Harvey Dent IS dead.

They had a funeral for Gordon didn't they?

James81
07-21-2008, 04:32 PM
Everyone was expecting Two Face to be the continued villain for the next film, but I think killing him was an incredible move. A tease of foreshadowing that made you think too far ahead.

Honestly, they seemed to waste Two Face. They had such a great backstory and set up for Two Face, which would've worked really WELL for a third movie, but they just wasted it.

That being said, I still LOVED this movie. Best Batman movie ever. Hands down.

And the Joker? *bow down* Made Nicholoson look like a two bit high school hack actor.

"I'm gonna make this pencil disappear..." :roll:

James81
07-21-2008, 04:35 PM
I'm still believing Two Face is NOT dead. I'm thinking he is in Arkham. Sure, they had a funeral for Harvey Dent.

Harvey Dent IS dead.

They had a funeral for Gordon didn't they?

Let the fan speculations begin. :roll:

I hope he IS dead now. They went to all the trouble to kill him, gave that huge speech about how Batman wasn't a hero but the hero Gotham needed, etc. All that would just be wasted if Harvey wasn't dead.

They've still got one good villain left to explore...The Penguin! I've never been crazy about the Penguin, but I am thoroughly convinced that in Nolan's hands, he can make me love even a villain I don't care for.

maestrowork
07-21-2008, 05:28 PM
I was surprised that Two Face/Dent was dead so quickly. They really, really set him up as a major character here, so the ending seems abrupt. But I believe he really is dead here -- unless they can explain how he got away after falling to his "death" especially after they gave Dent a hero's funeral. What, did he just walk out of the morgue?

shawkins
07-21-2008, 05:39 PM
Weirdly, my favorite part was:

"Let me get this straight. You're convinced that your client--one of the richest men in the world--is a vigilante who goes out every night and beats up armed men with his bare hands? And you want to blackmail him? Good luck with that."

Anybody have any idea where to get ahold of a copy of the movie script? I'm curious.

Jcomp
07-21-2008, 05:49 PM
They've still got one good villain left to explore...The Penguin! I've never been crazy about the Penguin, but I am thoroughly convinced that in Nolan's hands, he can make me love even a villain I don't care for.

At first, when I heard people saying this, I hated the idea. Then I remembered that the Penguin isn't supposed to be an actual deformed guy who associates with penguins that have rockets strapped to them (way to go Mr. Burton!) but a short, criminal mastermind / business man who likes to wear tuxes (hence the nickname). I think Nolan could do well by him, especially given how this film ended. I'd prefer someone else though, however.

I've heard speculation already that they're considering The Riddler. I'd rather see him.

I hope they keep Dent dead because I think it's fitting for the story. He managed to both die a "hero" (thanks to Batman taking the fall for his crimes) and live long enough to see himself become the villain.

And one other thing: please, no Robin. He works okay in the comic books and even in the cartoon (I always thought the "kid sidekick" characters were more than a bit goofy, but that's just me) but he just won't work on film. Especially in this brand of Batman, where the situations are far darker and more menacing, and oh yeah, Batman himself is a qualified ninja. You may be one hell of a trapeze artist kid, but you're not a damn ninja. Plus if The Dark Knight taught Bruce anything, it should be that he can't afford to be too close to anyone without expecting to put them in serious danger. The way he went after Dawes out the window gave Joker the hint that she could be his breaking point, which is a reason why he targeted her.

God, I could analyze this movie all the live-long-damn-day.

James81
07-21-2008, 06:22 PM
At first, when I heard people saying this, I hated the idea. Then I remembered that the Penguin isn't supposed to be an actual deformed guy who associates with penguins that have rockets strapped to them (way to go Mr. Burton!) but a short, criminal mastermind / business man who likes to wear tuxes (hence the nickname). I think Nolan could do well by him, especially given how this film ended. I'd prefer someone else though, however.

I've heard speculation already that they're considering The Riddler. I'd rather see him.

I hope they keep Dent dead because I think it's fitting for the story. He managed to both die a "hero" (thanks to Batman taking the fall for his crimes) and live long enough to see himself become the villain.

And one other thing: please, no Robin. He works okay in the comic books and even in the cartoon (I always thought the "kid sidekick" characters were more than a bit goofy, but that's just me) but he just won't work on film. Especially in this brand of Batman, where the situations are far darker and more menacing, and oh yeah, Batman himself is a qualified ninja. You may be one hell of a trapeze artist kid, but you're not a damn ninja. Plus if The Dark Knight taught Bruce anything, it should be that he can't afford to be too close to anyone without expecting to put them in serious danger. The way he went after Dawes out the window gave Joker the hint that she could be his breaking point, which is a reason why he targeted her.

God, I could analyze this movie all the live-long-damn-day.

That's what's so fun about this movie! It's given you so much to talk about and speculate on.

1. Yes, definately, Burton completely shit all over the penguin, in the same way Schumaker/Silver shit all over Two-Face, the Riddler, and Mr. Freeze. But like you said, Nolan would definately go for the more "realistic" version of the Penguin....think about THIS. They have it set up nicely that the PENGUIN could be the guy who takes over Falcone/Marone's mob. That would make for a great story.

2. I forgot about the Riddler! Perhaps they could put them both in the next movie. A Riddler/Penguin combo (if done right) could be cool.

3. Robin...Honestly, I don't know what to think about Robing being in these movies. Give the way Nolan has handled the franchise so far, he actually has me CURIOUS to see how he would handle Robin in these movies. You gotta have faith, because even Robin would shine if handled correctly.

Indy Tarquinson
07-21-2008, 07:03 PM
I heard that Nolan and Bale swore never to have Robin in the movies so I guess we're out of luck.

But I think they could do it well if they really tried! Batman obviously now knows the need for an heir since he realizes in DK that Batman is going to be a life-long (or at least in-his-prime-long) job. He's going to need someone to take up the mantle eventually, because as we've seen the Bat-wannabees are obviously not going to work very well. They'd have to show Robin as older, I think, and pull a Tim Drake (have the kid be a smart detective himself and figure out who Batman is) instead of having him randomly adopt Dick Grayson. We are going for the realistic bent here, after all. The way they handled the older Dick Grayson on Batman Forever wasn't too bad, it made sense.

The bad guy I'm wanting to see next is Selina Kyle. :D With Rachel *ahem* out of the way we might be able to see Bruce fall in love with one of the people he's trying to get rid of. But I heard that Nolan wasn't really all that interested in doing another Batman film since he said that Batman was as developed as he could take him. O_O I say "No, don't stop!"

James81
07-21-2008, 07:14 PM
I heard that Nolan and Bale swore never to have Robin in the movies so I guess we're out of luck.

But I think they could do it well if they really tried! Batman obviously now knows the need for an heir since he realizes in DK that Batman is going to be a life-long (or at least in-his-prime-long) job. He's going to need someone to take up the mantle eventually, because as we've seen the Bat-wannabees are obviously not going to work very well. They'd have to show Robin as older, I think, and pull a Tim Drake (have the kid be a smart detective himself and figure out who Batman is) instead of having him randomly adopt Dick Grayson. We are going for the realistic bent here, after all. The way they handled the older Dick Grayson on Batman Forever wasn't too bad, it made sense.

The bad guy I'm wanting to see next is Selina Kyle. :D With Rachel *ahem* out of the way we might be able to see Bruce fall in love with one of the people he's trying to get rid of. But I heard that Nolan wasn't really all that interested in doing another Batman film since he said that Batman was as developed as he could take him. O_O I say "No, don't stop!"

The movie opened at $155 Million this weekend, setting some records (I think).

We're getting a new Batman, whether Nolan does it or not...

Let's just pray that he does it.

Watch Silver/Schumaker pick it up again and trash it again. :roll: How bad would that suck?

childeroland
07-21-2008, 07:35 PM
I think the Riddler rumor started with Oldman joking during an interview.

Supposedly Nolan isn't a fan of Penguin (he supposed to have said in an interview I'll link if I find it that Penguin would be hard to fit into his world).

Goyer or someone said they wanna use a villain for the next one that's never been on screen before. Could this mean Black Mask? Holiday Killer?

Jett from Batman-on-Film says someone inside Warners or Nolan's team told him they're exploring including Catwoman in the next installment (maybe to replace Dawes?) if they can fit her into the Nolanverse.

Watch Silver/Schumaker pick it up again and trash it again.

Hopefully Silver's too busy screwing up Wonder Woman, and I doubt they'll let Schumacher near Batman again.

Jcomp
07-21-2008, 07:36 PM
The movie opened at $155 Million this weekend, setting some records (I think).

We're getting a new Batman, whether Nolan does it or not...

Let's just pray that he does it.

Watch Silver/Schumaker pick it up again and trash it again. :roll: How bad would that suck?

Ha!

Don't even play like that. It'd make for a hilarious April Fool's joke on somebody's movie-news website next year. "Nolan Drops Out of Third Batman Feature; Michael Bay Hired as New Director." Fanboys would scream bloody murder.

Per the post above mine, I completely forgot about Black Mask. That could be very, very interesting.

MattW
07-21-2008, 08:45 PM
So The Bale-Bat has one rule. Is it never to kill? The Keaton-Bat didn't have that rule, did he?

Extra is on right now with Batman Secrets:
If Ledger had not taken the role, the joker may have been Sean Penn, Robin Williams, or Mark Hamil(!). Also Bale may have signed on for a sequel, but never with a Robin (though their hard-hitting interview with Maggie Gyllenhall says she'd sign on for the 3rd movie too).

childeroland
07-21-2008, 09:09 PM
I think Penn turned them down. Robin Williams and Hamil did say they were interested in the role, IIRC.

ChunkyC
07-21-2008, 09:11 PM
At first, when I heard people saying this, I hated the idea. Then I remembered that the Penguin isn't supposed to be an actual deformed guy who associates with penguins that have rockets strapped to them (way to go Mr. Burton!) but a short, criminal mastermind / business man who likes to wear tuxes (hence the nickname). I think Nolan could do well by him, especially given how this film ended.
I definitely could get behind a Penguin developed like that by Nolan and his crew.

Or IN luck. ;) I can't help wondering if the 'wannabees' in Dark Knight were meant to be a really subtle dig at Robin. I'd like to think so. :)

PS -- I think my coworkers at the day job are starting to get tired of me greeting them with, "Evening, Com--missioner." :D

Jcomp
07-21-2008, 09:16 PM
PS -- I think my coworkers at the day job are starting to get tired of me greeting them with, "Evening, Com--missioner." :D

Ha!

Hmmm... even though it's 3 months away, I wonder how many Jokers will be out on 6th Street in Austin this Halloween...

RoccoMom
07-21-2008, 09:18 PM
OK, so how can Maggie Gylenhaal sign on when they killed off her character?

RoccoMom
07-21-2008, 09:21 PM

Yeah, don't worry if the money is there they will do another. I'd like to see Catwoman too.

RoccoMom
07-21-2008, 09:22 PM

"Let me get this straight. You're convinced that your client--one of the richest men in the world--is a vigilante who goes out every night and beats up armed men with his bare hands? And you want to blackmail him? Good luck with that."

Anybody have any idea where to get ahold of a copy of the movie script? I'm curious.

it was mine too! I loved the way Morgan Freeman delivered that line!

MattW
07-21-2008, 09:22 PM

That's what I found funny about her interview. She laughed nervously and said she would do it. She knew the character was dead, but couldn't reveal it. Any idea of a script isn't even percolating yet, so the best she could hope for is a flashback.

I'm sure she was just doing her job of promoting the movie while offering no spoilers.

Jcomp
07-21-2008, 10:12 PM
That's what I found funny about her interview. She laughed nervously and said she would do it. She knew the character was dead, but couldn't reveal it. Any idea of a script isn't even percolating yet, so the best she could hope for is a flashback.

I'm sure she was just doing her job of promoting the movie while offering no spoilers.

It actually probably worked to the advantage of making her exit all the more unexpected.

ChunkyC
07-21-2008, 10:23 PM

During the show I went to, that got by far the biggest laugh and some applause. Great writing delivered by one of the best in the biz, it doesn't get much better than that.

ETA: had to hunt down the exact wording because it was so good .. I think this was it....

"Let me get this straight. You think your client, one of the richest men in the world, is a vigilante who likes to dress up as a bat and beat criminals to a bloody pulp with his bare hands. And your answer to this is to try and blackmail him? Well...good luck with that."

maestrowork
07-21-2008, 11:15 PM

FLASHBACKS!

As LOST has taught us, anything is possible for an actor even if the character is dead.

maestrowork
07-21-2008, 11:17 PM
By the way, at my showing, the projectionist screwed up and there was a part where there was only sound and no picture. It was in the courtroom. Can someone clue me in what happened there?

RoccoMom
07-21-2008, 11:24 PM
FLASHBACKS!

As LOST has taught us, anything is possible for an actor even if the character is dead.

ha ha i didn't even think of that.
and as a DARK SHADOWS and avid soap opera devotee, I should remember the cardinal: No one's ever really dead!

Jcomp
07-21-2008, 11:28 PM
By the way, at my showing, the projectionist screwed up and there was a part where there was only sound and no picture. It was in the courtroom. Can someone clue me in what happened there?

Do you mean the scene with Harvey & Rachel interrogating Maroni's fall guy on the stand?

katiemac
07-21-2008, 11:34 PM
Like others have said, I could analyze this all day too. :)

Thing is, it was not a perfect movie. A lot of us wanted more reaction to Rachel's death. A lot of us thought Two Face was underused (although in context, it worked very well). So yeah, it wasn't perfect but there are so many layers in the story itself that I still think this is one of the best films I've ever seen. Not to mention all the speculation that can exist because the story is a complex mythology.

Same here. I was surprised he died to quickly, but that doesn't mean I didn't think it worked. They made the distinctions between Two Face, Batman and The Joker abundantly clear in this film so even if they didn't push the lines, they explored them very, very well.

If Ledger had not taken the role, the joker may have been Sean Penn, Robin Williams, or Mark Hamil(!).

Mark Hamil voices the Joker in the animated series, so although I don't know how serious the consideration was, it was a very real one.

Or IN luck. ;) I can't help wondering if the 'wannabees' in Dark Knight were meant to be a really subtle dig at Robin. I'd like to think so. :)

It's possible. But that's also from The Dark Knight Returns ... When retired Batman reappears to revitalize Gotham, a bunch of copycats get inspired with him.

If they do Robin, I think they need to use him as an emotional device and kill him off. This Batman isn't quite as psychotic as he could be, yet, but part of that is dealing with emotional losses. So Rachel's death will work just as well to kickstart that mental breakdown instead of Robin's.

katiemac
07-21-2008, 11:36 PM

Hmm... the witness was giving Harvey Dent a hard time, but he turned it back around on him. Showed his White Knight characteristics and charisma.

More importantly, though, when she Judge sat down she starting flipping through her documents. In the stack was Joker card, which she didn't realize the significance of. Just looked at it and continued what she was doing.

Jcomp
07-21-2008, 11:42 PM
Regarding Dent's "is-he-or-isn't-he-dead" status, on one of the like 30 message boards I'm bouncing through to discuss this movie, someone pointed out that apparently when his coin falls for the last time after Bats knocks him off the edge, it turns up as the unscarred head--the "You get to live" side. A hint, perhaps?

Of course, I didn't see this for myself, which is just another thing for me to look for when I see this again this week.

katiemac
07-21-2008, 11:47 PM
Regarding Dent's "is-he-or-isn't-he-dead" status, on one of the like 30 message boards I'm bouncing through to discuss this movie, someone pointed out that apparently when his coin falls for the last time after Bats knocks him off the edge, it turns up as the unscarred head--the "You get to live" side. A hint, perhaps?

I noticed that. I thought it as a symbol they were recognizing Harvey Dent to live on in memory as the White Knight Gotham needs, not as Two Face. Like how the last shot of his face is Harvey, not Two Face.

maestrowork
07-21-2008, 11:54 PM
Two Face flipped the coin for himself first (before he tried to flip it for Gordon), and it landed on the head side (meaning he was going to die no matter if he killed Gordon or not). So I think the last coin was symbolic -- like katie said, that Dent (not Two Face) is going to live -- in people's memories, I suppose.

ChunkyC
07-22-2008, 12:02 AM
It's possible. But that's also from The Dark Knight Returns ... When retired Batman reappears to revitalize Gotham, a bunch of copycats get inspired with him.
Ah, said he who doesn't read the comics. Thanks for the info, helps clarify things. :)

(regarding Maestro missing the visual part of the courtroom scene)

Hmm... the witness was giving Harvey Dent a hard time, but he turned it back around on him. Showed his White Knight characteristics and charisma.

More importantly, though, when she Judge sat down she starting flipping through her documents. In the stack was Joker card, which she didn't realize the significance of. Just looked at it and continued what she was doing.
Other than that in that scene, you probably got the gist of it from the dialogue. You only missed stuff like crime boss Maroni's (defendant) smarmy looks as the witness' testimony was the opposite of his previous statement.

PS -- on the Internet Movie Database, The Dark Knight (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0468569/) is the highest rated movie there ever: 9.6/10 -- WOW again.

James81
07-22-2008, 12:35 AM
Two Face flipped the coin for himself first (before he tried to flip it for Gordon), and it landed on the head side (meaning he was going to die no matter if he killed Gordon or not). So I think the last coin was symbolic -- like katie said, that Dent (not Two Face) is going to live -- in people's memories, I suppose.

I noticed that it landed on Heads when he shot Batman too.

I was puzzled by that one.

childeroland
07-22-2008, 01:10 AM
IMDB ratings for fanboy favs always float up extremely high and then settle back down, like the LoTR films and, I think, WALL*E earlier this year. I doubt it'll really stay higher than the Godfather films, etc.

PS -- on the Internet Movie Database, The Dark Knight is the highest rated movie there ever: 9.6/10 -- WOW again.

ChunkyC
07-22-2008, 01:19 AM
Ah ... I've never followed that trend, actually. Good to know.

It just caught my eye because I've never seen a rating that high on there before and I've gone there every week for the past five or six years when prepping to write my column, which is almost always on a new release.

katiemac
07-22-2008, 03:20 AM
Official weekend box office result: $158.4 million, a whopping $7.3 million more than Spider-man 3's record.

It broke every record... opening day, opening weekend, midnight showings, most theaters, etc. And it's still going strong.

ChunkyC
07-22-2008, 03:45 AM
That's the scary part -- many of the other box office blockbusters in the past opened to mixed reviews from the critics (Spidey 3 for example). But The Dark Knight is being near universally lauded. This movie is going to have legs like few others.

katiemac
07-22-2008, 03:53 AM
But The Dark Knight is being near universally lauded. This movie is going to have legs like few others.

Yep. I have to wonder how much of that $7.3 million is made up of repeat viewers.

Takvah
07-22-2008, 03:58 AM
Nobody ever truly dies in the comic books kids. Dent could be brought back easily. I think he has to be in order for the whole scene to go bad for Batman and Gordon (as if it isn't bad enough already). I think you could get through the whole third movie with a totally different storyline (Catwoman or whoever... female villains are hot and this franchise is due) and finish it with Dent having re-established himself within his criminal persona... with nothing but revenge on his mind. Again it's the comics... anything is possible.

Danger Jane
07-22-2008, 06:02 AM
Just saw it. WOW.

Bruce's reaction to Rachel's death didn't puzzle me, and I'm big on character development. He COULDN'T cry over her death. He had no TIME to mourn, and to do so would make him more vulnerable physically and emotionally. He can't risk it.

As far as the imdb rating goes, I wonder how much flux there will be since there are now 69,000 votes counted, and unlike a movie like 300 that surged up in the Top 250 but only has a 60% on rottentomatoes, Dark Knight has a 94%. It's wooing critics and audiences alike.

Writer2011
07-22-2008, 07:58 AM
Ok..well I went to see it today and it was pretty good. Although, with Harvey Dent becoming two-face so early on was a bit of a let-down. I was hoping he'd become two-face at the END of the movie--not halfway through. But I can't fault the screenwriters--that's just my personal opinion.

As for Rachel Dawes---in the comic book story (If I recall) her character doesn't make it far anyways..So I was expecting that.

Let me tell you though, Heath Ledger was BORN to play Joker--hands down!! His performance is well, oscar-worthy.

Good flick, just a little TOO much going on for my personal tastes.

James81
07-22-2008, 04:07 PM
Official weekend box office result: $158.4 million, a whopping $7.3 million more than Spider-man 3's record.

It broke every record... opening day, opening weekend, midnight showings, most theaters, etc. And it's still going strong.

I read somewhere, though, that Spiderman actually sold more TICKETS on opening weekend. The difference in the price of a ticket is actually what makes Batman take the lead over Spiderman.

I'm hoping that the "Dent isn't dead" speculators are wrong. At this point, a "fake" death would be redundant (Gordon anyone?).

nevada
07-22-2008, 06:21 PM
WOW. WOW. WOW.

I cannot come up with the words to describe this movie. One of the best movies I've ever seen, in any genre. I will definitely see this one again in the theatres.

I never thought Dent was dead. I've avoided this thread, I normally don't mind spoilers but I wanted no expectations till I saw this movie. And I never thought Dent was dead. He was clearly breathing when he was laying on the ground. I think they said he was dead in order to maintain his hero status but locked him up, probably in the same place where they keep the joker.

But it doesn't matter, either way. This movie knocked me over. It was subtle, it never underestimated the intelligence of the audience, it didn't belabour any point, it never had a scene that was "hey did you see that? Wasnt that cool? Let's show you all of it so you can see just how really cool it is." For example, in the end when he shoots his hook up into the stairwell and he flies up. They didnt bother showing the anchor hitting something and finding something to anchor onto. That didn't matter. A lot of movies would have shown that obligatory shot. But not this one.

I loved this movie. On every level.

James81
07-22-2008, 06:33 PM
He was clearly breathing when he was laying on the ground.

Well, duh, that's because the actor playing him is obviously NOT dead. lol

Oh, another thing that I LOVED about this move...the scene where the Joker dropps Rachel out of the window. Every Superhero movie ever made has the obligatory "Oh noes, the womanz is falling I must catch her!" scene.

The thing I liked about THIS particular scene was how REAL it was. I mean, in past Batman movies he has time to catch up to the girl, spin around and shoot a grappling hook, get lucky enough to have it anchor to something and then by some miracle the jolt doesn't tear it loose.

I LOVED that there was no grappling hook shot in that fall, and they didn't belabor (sp?) the scene. It was what it was. He caught her, he manuevered enough to slow the fall with his cap, and they landed on the car. Best falling scene in a superhero movie yet.

Indy Tarquinson
07-22-2008, 06:44 PM
Oh yeah, I agree, the falling scene was nice and realistic. I was at the edge of my seat, the way they fell was dangerous and made you think--hmm, are they gonna make it? I'm surprised they landed on the car okay even. Poor Bats might be like "Uhh...winded..."

And yeah I noticed the whole subtlety thing too--especially in the first movie, they never really showed what Batman looks like fighting as "Batman". They show what the criminals see, this flash of a fist here, this flash of a cape there, hyper-fast fighting and all of a sudden everyone's down. Luckily we did get to see Batman fighting in this one for a couple of scenes, but they didn't milk it for all it's worth and only gave you a taste, I think. I've always been curious to really see Batman's fighting style in action and I'm glad that they did show some but I kinda wish I got to see more!

ChunkyC
07-22-2008, 06:46 PM
Oh, another thing that I LOVED about this move...the scene where the Joker dropps Rachel out of the window. Every Superhero movie ever made has the obligatory "Oh noes, the womanz is falling I must catch her!" scene.

The thing I liked about THIS particular scene was how REAL it was. I mean, in past Batman movies he has time to catch up to the girl, spin around and shoot a grappling hook, get lucky enough to have it anchor to something and then by some miracle the jolt doesn't tear it loose.

I LOVED that there was no grappling hook shot in that fall, and they didn't belabor (sp?) the scene. It was what it was. He caught her, he manuevered enough to slow the fall with his cap, and they landed on the car. Best falling scene in a superhero movie yet.

Yes indeed! In the Michael Keaton Batman film where he caught blondie and used his cable to arrest their fall, they jerk to a complete stop in an instant. Batsuit or not, that would have ripped his arm out of its socket. This was so much more believable. From beginning to end, The Dark Knight just got it right and didn't insult the audience's intelligence.

shawkins
07-22-2008, 08:05 PM
Yikes.

Did you hear Bale got arrested for assaulting his mother and sister?

http://www.cnn.com/2008/SHOWBIZ/Movies/07/22/bale.questioned.ap/index.html

I was pretty appalled until I found out their names were "Crime Bale" and "Corruption Bale."

maestrowork
07-22-2008, 10:01 PM
So, Cillian Murphy's in this one as Scarecrow. I don't remember seeing him. Did I miss something?

katiemac
07-22-2008, 10:15 PM
I read somewhere, though, that Spiderman actually sold more TICKETS on opening weekend. The difference in the price of a ticket is actually what makes Batman take the lead over Spiderman.

That was when ticket sales were neck and neck. Early box office predications had Batman grossing somewhere around only .3 million higher than Spider-man. But when the box results came in they were MUCH higher than anticipated. Even taking into account higher ticket prices this time around, the $7.3 million difference suggests Dark Knight sold way more tickets.

So, Cillian Murphy's in this one as Scarecrow. I don't remember seeing him. Did I miss something?

Fairly close to the beginning of the film, the first time we see Batman, Scarecrow is making deals with mobsters in a parking garage. It's also the first appearance of the fake Bats, until Batman comes and rescues them and gets attacked by the dogs.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/SHOWBIZ/Movi....ap/index.html

Saw this on MSN. The part I find most interesting is that the police didn't interrogate him on Monday because they "didn't want to interfere with the movie release."

childeroland
07-22-2008, 10:17 PM
In England you can be charged with assault for a purely verbal incident.

Yikes.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/SHOWBIZ/Movi....ap/index.html

I was pretty appalled until I found out their names were "Crime Bale" and "Corruption Bale."

maestrowork
07-22-2008, 10:18 PM
Fairly close to the beginning of the film, the first time we see Batman, Scarecrow is making deals with mobsters in a parking garage. It's also the first appearance of the fake Bats, until Batman comes and rescues them and gets attacked by the dogs.

AH! I was in the bathroom for like 2 minutes and I missed that.

I thought Scarecrow was locked up?

childeroland
07-22-2008, 10:25 PM
No, Scarecrow got away in the first film after R'as's men break him and the other inmates out of Arkham. Last we saw him, Rachel tasered his ass and he fled.

James81
07-22-2008, 10:26 PM

I thought Scarecrow was locked up?

No, in Begins the last we see of him is when Katie Holmes shoots him in the face with a taser gun.

maestrowork
07-22-2008, 10:30 PM
Last we saw him, Rachel tasered his ass and he fled.

No, in Begins the last we see of him is when Katie Holmes shoots him in the face with a taser gun.

So his ass is his face? ;)

I'm surprised I didn't remember any of that. He was such a key character in the first film I was surprised he just vanished without any real resolution there in BB. I guess he would be recurring villain...

III
07-22-2008, 10:42 PM
Saw DK twice this weekend and loved it. Ray, you didn't miss much. Scarecrow was actually one of the few things I didn't like about DK. He was such a big part of BB and so formidable and in DK he was just a throwaway.

Christopher Nolan - you're still the best thing that's happened to Hollywood in the last decade. You raise the bar for the entire industry.

Heath - the brightest star in a packed constellation. Perfect performance.

Can't wait for the director's cut DVD.

Jcomp
07-22-2008, 10:57 PM
Christopher Nolan - you're still the best thing that's happened to Hollywood in the last decade. You raise the bar for the entire industry.

Heath - the brightest star in a packed constellation. Perfect performance.

Can't wait for the director's cut DVD.

Ditto.

James81
07-22-2008, 11:00 PM
Saw DK twice this weekend and loved it. Ray, you didn't miss much. Scarecrow was actually one of the few things I didn't like about DK. He was such a big part of BB and so formidable and in DK he was just a throwaway.

Yeah, I was disappointed in the Scarecrow scene too. You could really tell that it was just thrown in there to get resolution to the Scarecrow character.

MattW
07-22-2008, 11:31 PM
No one's mentioned Anthony Michael Hall yet?!?!? Stole the whole movie.

James81
07-22-2008, 11:38 PM
I have a question...

Gordon's son...is he the little boy in the first movie that Rachel protected while the Narrows went to hell?

Jcomp
07-22-2008, 11:51 PM
I have a question...

Gordon's son...is he the little boy in the first movie that Rachel protected while the Narrows went to hell?

I don't think he's supposed to be, but I got that vibe as well. The reverence the kid had for Batman somehow made it seem like he'd encountered him before.

It's things like this that I wish they'd have had the time to expand on. I'd eat that up. I actually went to find the novelization of the film in B&N today, hoping against hope to find this thick book that might be packed with all of those small moments that couldn't make it to the screen. Alas, it wasn't meant to be...

III
07-23-2008, 12:21 AM
I wish they would have shown the scene after the Joker broke the pool cue and tossed it to the three remaining thugs to decide who could join his gang. Can you imagine them trying to play pool with that broken cue? That would have been hilarious, but I guess the game would have taken a long time.

James81
07-23-2008, 12:24 AM
I don't think he's supposed to be, but I got that vibe as well. The reverence the kid had for Batman somehow made it seem like he'd encountered him before.

It's things like this that I wish they'd have had the time to expand on. I'd eat that up. I actually went to find the novelization of the film in B&N today, hoping against hope to find this thick book that might be packed with all of those small moments that couldn't make it to the screen. Alas, it wasn't meant to be...

Honestly, and I know people are against this idea, but I'm kinda hoping that that kid in Begins turns out to be Robin.

I want to see Nolan's interpretation of Robin. People are only against the notion, because they crapped all over Robin in the past movies.

Remember, when Heath Ledger was cast as the Joker, people bitched and moaned for months and joked (remember the "Brokeback Joker" comments? lol) that he'd ruin the movie.

Now look at what they have to say.

I say give Nolan a crack at Robin.

James81
07-23-2008, 12:24 AM
I wish they would have shown the scene after the Joker broke the pool cue and tossed it to the three remaining thugs to decide who could join his gang. Can you imagine them trying to play pool with that broken cue? That would have been hilarious, but I guess the game would have taken a long time.

I was under the impression that the three of them were supposed to use the cue to kill each other and that the last man standing was the "winner".

MattW
07-23-2008, 12:50 AM
I wish they would have shown the scene after the Joker broke the pool cue and tossed it to the three remaining thugs to decide who could join his gang. Can you imagine them trying to play pool with that broken cue? That would have been hilarious, but I guess the game would have taken a long time. I thought it was a test of wood working skill to see who could repair the cue?

childeroland
07-23-2008, 12:56 AM
A couple of years ago, Nolan and Bale themselves said they would not want to include Robin -- also that their Batman was supposed to be the dark knight's very early days so Dick Grayson would still be an infant. Gordon's daughter may be the younger Barbara Gordon but Nolan's been coy with interviewers about this.

Gordon's son does look like that kid from Begins, but that kid's parents were arguing horrendously, which is why Batman gave him his grapplehook (I think) in that scene, and Gordon doesn't seem abusive.

For a long while, Engel was rumored to be the Riddler, though now a lot of folks think it might be Reece.

Scarecrow is sort of the Christopher Lee role -- the important baddie reduced to cameo status in the sequel (happened to Lee in LoTR and RoTS -- I'm sure Tvtropes must have a name for this).

ChunkyC
07-23-2008, 01:23 AM
Are you kidding? I'da peed in my slushie before missing a second of that movie. :tongue

PS -- I think Jay was kidding about the henchmen playing pool to see who joined the Joker's gang. ;)

III
07-23-2008, 01:28 AM
Are you kidding? I'da peed in my slushie before missing a second of that movie. :tongue

PS -- I think Jay was kidding about the henchmen playing pool to see who joined the Joker's gang. ;)

PPS - I hope you were kidding about peeing in your slushie. Then again I've never been to a Canadian movie theater so I don't know what the protocol is. Maybe the ushers bring you a fresh slushie if you put up the flag on the end of your row and take away the "bad" one. If so, I'll be moving to Canada shortly.

I'm going to make this pencil disappear.

ChunkyC
07-23-2008, 01:44 AM
I'd like to make cellphones in the theatre disappear using the same trick. :D

MattW
07-23-2008, 01:46 AM
I'd like to make cellphones in the theatre disappear using the same trick. :D

There are only 10 or 11 polite warnings before every movie, and still someone's phone rang right in the middle of DK.

Movie theaters seem to be located at the intersection of stupid and inconsiderate.

ChunkyC
07-23-2008, 01:51 AM
A pair of Twitney Spears wannabees in the row next to me were giggling over their cellphones all through the movie. Good grief, children, you're watching one of the most amazing spectacles ever put to film and you can't friggin' wait until after the movie to find out one of your ditzy friends decided to use grape lip balm instead of peach?!

Idiots. And some day they'll be allowed to vote. *shudder*

MattW
07-23-2008, 01:59 AM
find out one of your ditzy friends decided to use grape lip balm instead of peach?!
Well - which one was it?!?!?

katiemac
07-23-2008, 02:01 AM
A pair of Twitney Spears wannabees in the row next to me were giggling over their cellphones all through the movie. Good grief, children, you're watching one of the most amazing spectacles ever put to film and you can't friggin' wait until after the movie to find out one of your ditzy friends decided to use grape lip balm instead of peach?!

Idiots. And some day they'll be allowed to vote. *shudder*

There was a couple in the first row of my theater (at midnight) with their kid--he looked to be about 4 years old. I'm sure they expected him to fall right asleep, but he absolutely did not.

Who brings their small child to a movie where people get murdered with PENCILS?

ChaosTitan
07-23-2008, 02:21 AM
Just saw it, and I wanted to get my impressions out before I went back to reread the hundred or so posts since the spoilers started. ;)

WOW. Just wow.

I had all kinds of expectations for this movie, and it met every single one of them (and even blew a few of them out of the water!). The movie was how long? Didn't feel like it, and that's always a bonus in my book. I didn't want it to end!

Sterling performances from the entire cast. Bale, Freeman, and Caine were top notch, as always. Gary Oldman was excellent, especially in the last scene with his family. Heath Ledger was, of course, genius as the Joker. Posthumous awards are definitely due, and it's a terrible tragedy we lost such an amazing talent. And I why, oh why couldn't they have had Maggie Gyllenhaal in the first movie? Sooooo much more believable as a lawyer than Katie Holmes.

But the most underrated member of the cast was definitely Aaron Eckhart. I've been a fan of his since Erin Brockovich, and he just nailed his role as the tarnished White Knight. I don't know much about the comic character of Harvey Dent/Two-Face, but the symbolism of this character was, in many ways, the heart of the movie and its core themes. In my opinion, Eckhart deserves a few more accolades than he's gotten for such a great balance of good and evil.

The supporting cast was like a who's who of TV genre character actors! Holy cow! We had Nestor Carbonell (Lost), Eric Roberts (Heroes), Ron Dean (what hasn't he been in?), Anthony Michael Hall (The Dead Zone), Keith Szarabajka (The Equalizer, Angel, Profit, etc...), William Fichtner (Invasion, Prison Break), and Tommy "Tiny" Lister (The Fifth Element, former wrestler named Zeus).

Kudos to the writers for killing Rachel, too. I always liked Batman more than Superman, because Batman didn't always win. The people in his life die (Robin II) or get seriously injured (Barbara Gordon). Batman loses once in a while (Hello, Bane!). It shows the human side of the character. You can throw bullets and cars and thugs in clown masks at him, and he keeps pushing through. You start killing the people he cares about, and you really hurt him.

I liked Batman Begins, but I love The Dark Knight. I think this one's going to bump its way up into my Top Ten Favorite Films list.

Jcomp
07-23-2008, 02:31 AM
Honestly, and I know people are against this idea, but I'm kinda hoping that that kid in Begins turns out to be Robin.

I want to see Nolan's interpretation of Robin. People are only against the notion, because they crapped all over Robin in the past movies.

Remember, when Heath Ledger was cast as the Joker, people bitched and moaned for months and joked (remember the "Brokeback Joker" comments? lol) that he'd ruin the movie.

Now look at what they have to say.

I say give Nolan a crack at Robin.

Personally, I've always hated the concept of Robin, even in the comic books. Batman himself has enough trouble with not dying while fighting these maniac, murderous criminals: how does he justify keeping around an adolescent sidekick who can't possibly be as adept at fighting as he is and putting them directly in harm's way. Grievous, horrible, beaten-with-a-crowbar harm.

It's a carry-over from the era in comic books when everybody needed a kid sidekick, or a pet sidekick, or both.

ChunkyC
07-23-2008, 02:32 AM
There was a couple in the first row of my theater (at midnight) with their kid--he looked to be about 4 years old. I'm sure they expected him to fall right asleep, but he absolutely did not.

People who never should have had children in the first place. And they're everywhere. I saw a mother with a baby at Lord of the Rings, fer chrissake. Imbecile!

ChaosTitan
07-23-2008, 02:54 AM
Yeah, I was disappointed in the Scarecrow scene too. You could really tell that it was just thrown in there to get resolution to the Scarecrow character.

I didn't see it as resolution, so much as continuity from one movie to the next. But it was cool. :)

OMG, I know! During the friggin' previews, a woman had to take her three year old out of the theater because the kid started to cry. During the previews!

It's a carry-over from the era in comic books when everybody needed a kid sidekick, or a pet sidekick, or both.

Absolutely a carry-over. The interesting thing with Batman, though, is which Robin would they use? Dick Grayson--the person most likely to grow up to become the new Batman, only he fights against that future every step of the way? Jason Todd--the first comic character ever to die by popular demand? Tim Drake--current incarnation?

As a huge Teen Titans fan, I detested how they handled Robin in the Shumacher films. He had the same name, and his acrobat parents were murdered. That was about it for similarities. I loved seeing Chris O'Donnell run around in black rubber, but he was too old.

Actually, I'd love to see a Nightwing movie. But only if it gets the Nolan treatment. All DC films that touch on the Batman mythos need to be directed by Nolan.

maestrowork
07-23-2008, 03:13 AM
My showing was attended by mostly older adults (average age probably 35) so it was really nice. Again, I uttered certain spontaneous remarks and "sounds" during the film and others did the same thing, but nothing too distracting -- no talking, no cell phones, no text messaging. People were truly engrossed by the entire film.

ChaosTitan
07-23-2008, 03:16 AM
I jumped and gasped twice, and probably muttered a few choice things under my breath more than once. ;)

Takvah
07-23-2008, 04:22 AM
If you didn't have a good laugh (out loud) when The Joker is the nurse, there is something wrong with you :) Between the Dent sticker on his uniform, the way he bounces out of the hospital walking all bow legged and then the detonator gag, I (and most of the theater) was laughing loudly. Considering the wife was also laughing I assumed it was appropriate.

Has anybody mentioned that Senator Pat Leahy was the old man at the party that was telling The Joker that he didn't scare him? "You remind me of my father...." *snickers*

Toothpaste
07-23-2008, 04:37 AM
Very much enjoyed it. Was a little shocked that there was a whole third act after Rachel was killed. I really thought the movie was heading to be over at that point. I also assumed I guess that Two Face was going to be saved for the third movie. I agree with whomever said he felt a bit wasted. It was interesting what they did with it though. Love love love Gary Oldman though! My god he's good. Oh course Heath stole the show. And I did get a bit misty eyed at the end of the film, knowing that the plan was to keep the Joker around for future films. Got me a little sad. His performance was fantastic! Truly original, and fantastic. That buzzing sound everytime the Joker showed up also helped a bit too!

I really do hope they do the Riddler next. He's my fav. That and of course Catwoman. Anyone else enjoy that line about the suit? "Will it protect me against dogs?" "It'll protect you against cats."

Calla Lily
07-23-2008, 06:11 AM
*sneaks in, hovers by the door for a quick getaway*

The only thing that kept me awake for the 2.5 hours was the INSANE VOLUME of all the explosions. Cliche dialogue. Cliche plot twists. Gary Oldman was the best thing in the movie--yeah, yeah, Heath was weird and creepy and very good, I concede that.

I've never been a Batman fan, in any incarnation--the DH wanted to go, and he sits through lots of MST3Ks with me, so we went. Iron Man was better. Heck, Judge Dredd was better--it knew it was a comic book.

Sorry, all. I know I'm probably the sole dissenting voice here.

*waits impatiently for the new Terminator movie to enjoy Christian Bale again*

*sneaks out FAST*

MattW
07-23-2008, 06:25 AM
Holy cow! We had Nestor Carbonell (Lost)Surely you must mean the secret identity of Batmanuel:

http://www.thetick.ws/images/batmanuel3pub.jpg

ChaosTitan
07-23-2008, 06:27 AM
:ROFL:

Pike
07-23-2008, 06:42 AM
*ignoring Lily's obvious attempt to gode one of us. Oohh, is she askin' fer it!* ;)

Going back to what Katiemac and others commented on, about small kids at adult movies. I've got four kids of my own, my daughters are the youngest of the bunch at 4 and 2. It's impossible to find someone to watch them so my wife and I can get out for much of anything so we've taken to swapping movie favors. Our latest was an Iron Man/ Batman swap. I'd loved to go see any of them with her but that's what works. We came to this long ago, when we didn't have kids and went to see Natural Born Killers. A couple in front of us brought their 2 year old and got rather nasty with him for not sitting still and being quiet. That definitely wasn't a child-friendly movie.

Some people just don't think about others (including the kids) before themselves.

Calla Lily
07-23-2008, 06:53 AM
:e2tongue: at Pike.

We chose not to take our 12YO--glad we didn't. Too intense. But someone had an 8YO there, from the timbre of the little voice.

What the hell is wrong with people?! If you can't get a sitter, STAY HOME! That's what we did when the kids were little.

Writer2011
07-23-2008, 06:54 AM
He's at the very beginning..when he steps out of the truck and is talking to some of the mob members--where the "batman's" come out.

Writer2011
07-23-2008, 07:00 AM
I still think it should have received an R rating...there were some scenes where it skirted on that.

Sure it's a good movie but so damn depressing--there's no hope or anything. Everyone hates Batman.

Oh well!!!

Toothpaste
07-23-2008, 07:10 AM
Dude there is actually quite a bit of hope I thought exemplified by the ships. And of course my wonderful Gordon. I agree it was quite bleak, but Bruce Wayne always maintained that Gotham was worth saving and I think they got that across nicely.

Jcomp
07-23-2008, 07:38 AM
In defense of people bringing children, I um... happpen to watch a fair amount of Nickelodeon for a single male (shut up, Drake & Josh is funny, & Avatar is awesome) and there has been a heavy bit of marketing towards kids as far as toys & other crossover promotions. If you're one of those parents who doesn't get to see a lot of "adult" network tv, watches a lot of kids programming, and isn't all net savvy with film research, then you could pretty easily presume this was a kid-safe movie. Warner Bros. is more at fault in a lot of those situations than parents, I'd say, and I'm very, very much not one of those people who blames the studios or entertainment for the folly of parenting. But this situation, I mean how do you market Joker toys to children in good conscience? You might as well give out a free Hannibal Lecter figure with every Happy Meal.

And I have to say, while I fully respect your opinion Lily, no way Judge Dredd is better than this. Not liking it is one thing, but Judge Dredd is an outright travesty. It's on par with the remake of Get Carter (another Stallone vehicle, hmmm...) with "Top Reasons All of America Should Apologize to Britain on Behalf of Hollywood." The Judge Dredd in the comic books is roughly 100x's more awesome than what Stallone put on screen. Robocop was partially based on Dredd. Imagine a storyline twice as satirical and cynical and even more hilariously violent (speaking of innocent, unknowing parents scarring their children with a movie, yeah... my folks took me to see Robocop thinking it'd be good family fun based on the marketing... I've basically been writing violent horror stories and struggling through graphically horrifying nightmares ever since) I'd love to see that film franchise get a reboot, even though you probably couldn't do it justice unless you gave Paul Veerhoeven the green light to go nuts with a budget that couldn't possibly be recouped in ticket sales, or made it in Japan where the budgets are unbelievably lower for comparable quality (see Casshern), or just made it an anime series.

"Gaze into the fist of Dredd!" One of the best moments in any comic book ever in the history of comic books.

katiemac
07-23-2008, 07:45 AM
In defense of people bringing children, I um... happpen to watch a fair amount of Nickelodeon for a single male {snip} But this situation, I mean how do you market Joker toys to children in good conscience? You might as well give out a free Hannibal Lecter figure with every Happy Meal.

Oh, absolutely. I'm sure there are tons of parents bringing kids to this, thinking it's a great superhero/Batman flick. In my case, though, it happened to be a midnight showing to start and the kid was just way too young. Like I said, I'm sure they went with the impression the kid would sleep through it, but that doesn't always work.

I am reminded of the time I worked the box office of a local theater. It was an 11 PM show and a couple came up with their little girl, again probably about 4 years. She was positively screaming her lungs out that she wanted to watch Finding Nemo. But what did the couple buy tickets for? American Wedding. I strugggled to keep my jaw from dropping while I printed up their tickets.

Only slightly less memorable than the older gentleman who asked if we were playing Passion of the Christ. When I said no, he bought a ticket for Eurotrip.

And I have to say, while I fully respect your opinion Lily,

I can respect that this film isn't for everyone. A good friend of mine will never see it, just because she doesn't go for these kinds of films in general (not superhero movies, but anything thriller, drama, etc. Nothing past chick or Disney flicks can get her interest, really).

Jcomp
07-23-2008, 07:50 AM
Oh, absolutely. I'm sure there are tons of parents bringing kids to this, thinking it's a great superhero/Batman flick. In my case, though, it happened to be a midnight showing to start and the kid was just way too young. Like I said, I'm sure they went with the impression the kid would sleep through it, but that doesn't always work.

Aw, that's different then. I hate that. Leave your kid home when it's that damn late. Let them sleep for heaven's sake.

Fortunately, the theater I go to (Alamo Drafthouse baby!) is basically designed to be little-kid-unfriendly and obnoxious-talkative-prick-unfriendly. They've even put up a hilarious mock-PSA featuring a few characters from Reno 911 before showings to remind people to shut up during the movie... or Deputy Wiegel will shoot you and blame it on crackheads.

Calla Lily
07-23-2008, 03:36 PM
Jcomp--I never read a Dredd comic, so my opinion was based on the movie alone. Plus, I love Max von Sydow. You are no doubt right that it's an embarrassment to the comic books. :) I loved Robocop, thouugh. We agree on that.

Then there's Constantine. I'll wait for you to stop laughing. I HATED those comic books--I think they need to be in an adult-only section of the library. Disgust for disgust's sake. However, the movie was redeemed by the bald guy playing the devil, and Tilda Swinton as Gabriel. Way cool.

And speaking of train wrecks in the making--did you see the preview of the remake of The Day the Earth Stood Still with--gag, choke, spew--Keanu Reeves?! Once I saw what the movie was (couldn't tell from the trailer) I started giggling and the DH shushed me. (No one else in the crowded theater was laughing.) But Keanu Reeves trying to fill Michael Rennie's shoes?! :roll: Now if they'd cast him as Gort...

Derail over...

James81
07-23-2008, 04:14 PM
I've never been a Batman fan, in any incarnation--

Well, that's pretty much it. This movie is a fanboy's dream come true. lol I can understand people who wouldn't like the movie. It's sort of like Star Wars...it's pretty much made for fanboys.

*ignoring Lily's obvious attempt to gode one of us. Oohh, is she askin' fer it!* ;)

Going back to what Katiemac and others commented on, about small kids at adult movies. I've got four kids of my own, my daughters are the youngest of the bunch at 4 and 2. It's impossible to find someone to watch them so my wife and I can get out for much of anything so we've taken to swapping movie favors. Our latest was an Iron Man/ Batman swap. I'd loved to go see any of them with her but that's what works. We came to this long ago, when we didn't have kids and went to see Natural Born Killers. A couple in front of us brought their 2 year old and got rather nasty with him for not sitting still and being quiet. That definitely wasn't a child-friendly movie.

Some people just don't think about others (including the kids) before themselves.

My son is four and he's seen Iron Man with me.

Some of these "adult" movies are right up a kids alley. Hell, my son STILL talks about Iron Man and you can tell he really liked it.

I'm thinking twice, though, about taking him to see DK. There are a couple of scenes that I think are just a little too hard for him to handle now....but I bet he'd still love it.

Calla Lily
07-23-2008, 04:19 PM
James, the scene that might make you want to think twice about bringing your 4YO? The end, where Joker has Gordon's adorable little son and is about to kill him in front of mom and little sis and dad is begging for son's life. Just sayin'.

Leah J. Utas
07-23-2008, 04:54 PM
Heath Ledger was amazing as The Joker. He's the only reason I went to the show and I am so glad I did. It's the only big screen Batman movie I've seen and probably will be. It wiped away all those grating memories of Caeser Romero in the old TV show.
Sad and awful as it was to lose Ledger, he went out on one hell of a high note.

James81
07-23-2008, 05:09 PM
James, the scene that might make you want to think twice about bringing your 4YO? The end, where Joker has Gordon's adorable little son and is about to kill him in front of mom and little sis and dad is begging for son's life. Just sayin'.

Actually, I wasn't even thinking about that scene.

I was thinking of the scenes where the Joker has a knife in someone's mouth threatening to cut them up.

James81
07-23-2008, 05:10 PM
Sad and awful as it was to lose Ledger, he went out on one hell of a high note.

"You either die a hero or live long enough to become the villain..."

Calla Lily
07-23-2008, 05:12 PM
Actually, I wasn't even thinking about that scene.

I was thinking of the scenes where the Joker has a knife in someone's mouth threatening to cut them up.

Yeah, those scenes too. IMO, this pushed the PG-13 envelope and should've been rated R. Not for the explosions of foul language, but for the ubiquitous evil. Fast-food restaurant tie-ins notwithstanding, this is not a movie for anyone under, say, 13. No pun intended.

Takvah
07-23-2008, 05:16 PM

Boy you REALLY didn't pay attention... *snickers*, it was Two Face that had Gordon's family captive.

As for Iron Man... Tony Stark is a drunk and a womanizer who also happens to have a major case of depression and other mental anxieties. Given the success of this "gritty" Batman sequel, I can almost certainly assure you that the Iron Man franchise will likely make a move to embrace the TRUE nature of Tony Stark... and we'll likely see him devolve into a total drunken bastard. Here's to HOPING at least... I say, stay true to the source material! As for which movie was better... I loved Iron Man, but the bigger and better suit of armor at the end was just cheese.