The Dark Knight (SPOILERS start page 5)

Hollan

Stage name = Chainsaw Sally
Registered
Reaction score
Website
dreambyday-hollan.blogspot.com
That was awesome. But I feel like a retard b/c I've already seen that trailer. I thought it was a really new one. Oh well. It was really cool and I can't wait to see it. I love Joker!

daverockz

Registered
Reaction score
im so excited about this movie. Oh Heath Ledger. He left w/ a bang.

My-Immortal

Mr. Invisible
Registered
Reaction score
The preview has a tiny little clip in it that (SPOILER!!!!) makes me think we'll be seeing the beginnings of Two-Face in this one. Woohoo!

I saw on a website last night - can't think of the name now, but I'm sure it would easy enough to find - there was a pic of the new Two-Face (you could actually see the burnt left side). I'm not 100% certain it was accurate, but it was of the actor playing Harvey Dent/Two-face in The Dark Knight, and it was......fairly gruesome (not at all like the Tommy Lee Jones' Two-Face). Fitting for the what Nolan has done so far with these movies. I can't wait for this to come out.

ToddWBush

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Rolling Stone just came out with their review of The Dark Knight.

http://www.rollingstone.com/reviews/movie/16155928/review/21477208/the_dark_knight

That's the link for the article. There are some minor spoilers, but I think it's just enough to get your already wetted appetite drooling.

Bluntly put, from what I've been reading, I might have to make room in my "Top 5 movies of all time" list. Not sure what's going to be bumped though, because The Godfather, Heat, Hoosiers, The Natural, and Rocky are pretty firmly entrenched.

James81

Great Scott Member
Registered
Reaction score
Rolling Stone just came out with their review of The Dark Knight.

http://www.rollingstone.com/reviews/movie/16155928/review/21477208/the_dark_knight

That's the link for the article. There are some minor spoilers, but I think it's just enough to get your already wetted appetite drooling.

Bluntly put, from what I've been reading, I might have to make room in my "Top 5 movies of all time" list. Not sure what's going to be bumped though, because The Godfather, Heat, Hoosiers, The Natural, and Rocky are pretty firmly entrenched.

There is so much hype surrounding this movie, I fear that a lot of people are going to get let down.

Not that I don't think it'll be GOOD, but I think a lot of people are going in with HUGE expectations and I'm not sure it's going to deliver on the level that you are saying here. I'd rather go into it as neutral as I can instead of expecting an awesome movie and perhaps being let down a tad.

Jcomp

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I think the anticipation for this film speaks to the iconic status of the characters. Particularly The Joker, who is one of the most recognized and popular villains in all of fiction. The same sort of hype (actual, tremendously greater hype) was generated for the 1989 version of Batman.

Tom Johnson

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www15.brinkster.com
Sorry, I can't get excited about Heath or The Joker. "Batman: The Beginning" was the best of the series todate, but even it pales in comparison to "V For Vendetta". Just my opinion.

"The Weed of Crime Bears Bitter Fruit!"

Gynn

Wandering worlds
Registered
Reaction score
I hope they make a movie on "The Dark Knight Returns" GN someday. So sick.

Chameleon

I less than 3 you!
Registered
Reaction score
if i tell you, will you promise to stalk me?
I'm not a batman fan at all. I didn't like any of the previous ones. But I really liked the trailer to this movie. So I think I'll see it. Plues, there's a sadness factor to this movie. This role quite possibly caused Heath's early demise. I don't want that fact overshadow the movie.

Jcomp

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Early reviews so far are freaking stellar. Only 10 deep, and not from the most lauded, mainstream reviewers, but still, wow. The comparisons to Scorcese are almost cinema-blasphemy, and yet it has me crazier than ever to see this movie, which on a scale of 1-10 now puts me at a "Punching Strangers in the Face."

Jcomp

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm just curious...why do so many people seem to hope that they make movies of their favorite comics and graphic novels, but not books?

I imagine that people have more faith in a movie based on a comic book not screwing up the source material as much as a movie based on a book. Comic books usually have only so much going on that can't be conveyed visually, by nature of the medium. That's often not the case for books. So people (in my opinion) are more pessimistic about film adaptations of their favorite books.

Not to mention that many favorite books have stories too long and complicated to effectively condense into reasonable running time for a film.

Celia Cyanide

Joker Groupie
Registered
Reaction score
I imagine that people have more faith in a movie based on a comic book not screwing up the source material as much as a movie based on a book. Comic books usually have only so much going on that can't be conveyed visually, by nature of the medium.

Yes, you think that would make it easier, as they technically have a story board. Although there are very, very few movies based on my favorite comic books I've enjoyed.

Pike

Chivalry ain't dead
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.spikeo.bravejournal.com
I think it's got to do with having "seen" the story in four-color. You read a comic or graphic novel and have this visual residual going through your brain, a nagging run of thoughts based on the artist's representation of the work. They make the characters look like famous stars, they draw elaborate scenes that rival Lucas flims. And the action is begging to hit the screen. So in a nutsheel comics aren't as cerebral as books, IMHO.

And Comp is right about more faith in a comic coming across better because books tend to have a lot background detail and info that shape the story but would slow down a movie. You only have so long to tell the tale.

Now, with that being said... I can't wait another week!!! I've watched countless trailers and captured scenes that leave me drooling. This is gonna be hot!

Pike

nevada

Registered
Reaction score
I think also, in some ways, a book is static. That's the story and that is it. People are used to their comic book hero doing different things all the time. Lets face it, they've been around, some of them for 60, 70 years. They evolve,they get different looks, different character traits. So to them, it's just part of the evolution of the character.

Danger Jane

Registered
Reaction score
I think also, in some ways, a book is static. That's the story and that is it. People are used to their comic book hero doing different things all the time. Lets face it, they've been around, some of them for 60, 70 years. They evolve,they get different looks, different character traits. So to them, it's just part of the evolution of the character.

I think this has a lot to do with it. A novel is often a standalone. A comic series, however, might well last more than fifty years. This leads to lots of funcharacter and plot discrepancies for a script writer to play around with and create another branch off the great big Spiderman/Batman/X-Men/Whatever tree.

Celia Cyanide

Joker Groupie
Registered
Reaction score
I think this has a lot to do with it. A novel is often a standalone. A comic series, however, might well last more than fifty years.

Sometimes, but but not always. The reason I brought this up is because THE DARK KNIGHT RETURNS is a stand alone graphic novel, not an ongoing series.

jamesn65

Registered
Reaction score
Website
nickjamesbooks.com
I think the anticipation for this film speaks to the iconic status of the characters. Particularly The Joker, who is one of the most recognized and popular villains in all of fiction. The same sort of hype (actual, tremendously greater hype) was generated for the 1989 version of Batman.

Batman's got the best villians out there. I'm not even a huge fan of the character, but the villians totally make or break the movie. Honestly, Batman Begins was a bit of a bore in my opinion because I think they could have done much more with the Scarecrow (especially costume-wise). The Joker is reason number one that I'm excited about this one. Up to this point my favorite bat movie is Batman Returns (well, I guess it's actually the Adam West movie, but that's for completely different reasons :))

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Also, there are a lot of fanboys and fangirls in comic book readers and they're the ones most eagerly waiting for screen adaptations of their favorite graphic novels. Go to Comic Con and you will see the craze. Book lovers don't seem to have the same level of passion.