First Booksigning Jitters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Greenwolf103

My first booksigning is in three weeks. My VERY FIRST.

I am very nervous. I'm not nervous about whether or not I'll sell any copies or whether or not the signing is getting enough publicity. Or whether or not people show up.

Actually, I'm nervous about ANYONE showing up.

I'm a little nervous about getting out there and meeting with complete strangers, especially since I've been a) nearly abducted and b) stalked.

I'm seriously thinking of hiring a team of bodyguards to surround where I'm sitting, turning away only to hand me a book someone has asked me to sign.

Still, I know I should get past this fear. I can't hide myself away forever. Does anyone have any advice? I'd certainly appreciate it.

underthecity

Hi Greenwolf,
I just did a booksigning this past Friday. Please read about it in the Announcements and Self Promotion forum and see if anything I posted there can help.

underthecity

Zazopolis

I'd certainly advise a pre-signing drink or two.
When feeling uncertain appear aloof.
If profusely sweating, well, you're screwed.
Remember, it's like business meetings and whatnot, the anticipation is always a million times worse than the actual deed.
Rock n Roll, you'll be fine. Remember, they're lucky to meet you. Even if only four show up.

WritingChick

Hi Greenwolf,

I'm also going to be doing my first ever book signing, but I'll also be doing my first presentation as well. I know how you feel :) Don't think of it as an event that might not turn up many people...think of it as an exciting stop on your way to becoming the next bestseller :D You may be nervous and that's okay...but the feeling you'll have afterwards of doing something outside of your comfort zone is amazing!

maestrowork

As with everything in life (I'm so Zen):

Lower your expectations. You may be pleasantly surprised.

Simply enjoy yourself.

Greenwolf103

I'd like to think that everything will be okay.

It's not my expectations I'm concerned over, though. But, thanks.

maestrowork

Re: Booksigning

Wow! Dawn, you're in some good company... Ken Turan, George Englund, the Queer Eye guy?

Greenwolf103

Yep, it's pretty cool. 8)

Two of my friends will be attending with me. One of them joked that the other can be my "bodyguard." Interesting she said that! It makes me feel more comfortable, at least.

triceretops

Boy, can I identify with that. Only it was my first television appearance, which just happened to be the 6-O'Clock news. I had a real nervous breakdown the night before, complete with heavy Vodka drinking, babbling, wallowing in self-pity (and on the floor), and every other form of self-loathing you could imagine. I made the spot, shaking and hung over, convinced that I blew the interview. But when friends saw me later they said I did just fine.
After several t.v. appearances, dozens of radio shows and newspaper interviews, I'm still, to this day a complete shambles inside, agoraphobic, I think they say. However, to all others I come off relaxed and confident.
What's to be learned?
Your going to do just fine, Greenwolf. Just fine.........

Triceratops.

Greenwolf103

THANK YOU SOO MUCH. It's nice to hear from someone who can relate.

Seriously, if I had it my way, I'd hole myself away from society and do nothing but write.

But you know, I realize I HAVE to get out there and mingle with people. Meet with them. I sure wouldn't want it to happen with me having a hangover. ;)

I'm just really nervous about ONE person in particular showing up. Hope that doesn't happen.

Greenwolf103

My signing was moved to a later date. They said either January or February. In any case, it won't be on December 6th.

arainsb123

Learning!
Registered
Reaction score
I was a little nervous about my first booksigning too, but any nervousness evapourated when I addressed the small crowd. (I was elated when I saw that not just family and friends had come!)

Mine was in a library conference room, and I didn't actually go and greet any strangers. A bookstore signing would be a different experience, I'm sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.