PDA

View Full Version : requested material how long will agent wait

gettingby
04-30-2008, 02:09 AM
If an agent requested material and you can't send it off for a week or so, would that be OK? Should you tell the agent when you are sending it and when he/she should expect it? Maybe this is not a huge deal, but if I do need to wait a week, should I overnight it next week. Thanks.

lkp
04-30-2008, 03:30 AM
I think a week or so is fine, and I always e-mailed the day I sent to say it would be coming and to let me know if it didn't arrive. I wouldn't overnight it.

gettingby
04-30-2008, 03:36 AM
Thanks, lkp. Just curious, why wouldn't you overnight it if you are sending it a week after it was requested?

stormie
04-30-2008, 03:42 AM
Once I sent mine priority mail, only because that was the only envelope I had on hand. Otherwise, just first class is fine. You just don't want them to have to sign for it. And a week is fine. Always send the request from that agent with the ms.

TrishD
04-30-2008, 07:40 AM
If an agent requested material and you can't send it off for a week or so, would that be OK? Should you tell the agent when you are sending it and when he/she should expect it? Maybe this is not a huge deal, but if I do need to wait a week, should I overnight it next week. Thanks.

I always used priority mail. Not only was it fairly fast and inexpensive, but the mailers are usually the perfect size for requested material (unless it's a BIG full).

lkp
04-30-2008, 03:37 PM
Thanks, lkp. Just curious, why wouldn't you overnight it if you are sending it a week after it was requested?

Because, contrary to our most fondly-held beliefs, I don't think agents are sitting on the edge of their chairs waiting for our partials and fulls. They request something when they see something interesing, but it doesn't mean they'll have time to read it within that week. Or month. And because that's what Miss. Snark said.

Mostly because that's what Miss. Snark said.

scope
05-01-2008, 07:48 AM
A week is just fine. Since lots of agents don't want priority mail (signatures required) I would send first class unless you know otherwise. If it makes you feel better, send a very, very brief e-mail to the agent and just say something like "Thanks for your request. I will put the material in the mail in one week."