• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

Is this Correct?

Status
Not open for further replies.

WillSmall

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I found this on another writing website. Is this advice correct? Thanks!

9. Dialogue by a single character that runs on for more than one paragraph.

"I just don't know how I'm going to cope with you anymore," she said. "No matter what I do, no matter how nice I am, you just remain contrary and difficult. It's as if we're at war instead of in love.

"I remember when we had our first date. You leaned across the booth at the diner and told me that love tames everyone. Even your father. And that you were hoping love could someday tame you.

"Well, I hoped so, too," she finished, and started to cry.

He stared up at her, hands on the arm rests, as she wept above him. Finally he said, "Don't make such a scene. It's just the damn supermarket."

She glared through her tears at him. Then she turned around, picked up her purse, and left the house without him.

When dialogue spoken by a single character runs for more than one paragraph, omit your closing quotes at the end of the paragraph - but use opening quotes at the beginning of the next paragraph. It is those closing quotes that indicate that the speaker is done. In this example, the closing quotes don't appear until the end of the third paragraph.

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Although I agree that is correct, in popular fiction I've seen each paragraph of dialogue be assigned its own close-quote. I noticed because it confused me, since paragraph two had no dialogue attribute.

Meh, you live long enough, you see language evolve, right?

Maryn, expecting OK to be okay before she dies

IceCreamEmpress

Hapless Virago
Registered
Reaction score
I've seen both--it depends on the publisher's house style. I wouldn't worry about it; the copyeditors will change it. Both are easily understandable.

RebelGoddess

Registered
Reaction score
That's how I've seen it done most often, though personally I prefer closing quotations.

Just a personal idiosyncrasy I guess.

Racheal

Status
Not open for further replies.