PDA

View Full Version : I will be standing when we fall

Virector
04-30-2008, 12:15 AM
When I die, I want them to read my work and say a genius wrote it. I will be standing when we fall. That is my goal as a writer. Tell me, how about you?

Soccer Mom
04-30-2008, 12:27 AM
When I die, I want them to read my work and say a genius wrote it. I will be standing when we fall. That is my goal as a writer. Tell me, how about you?

I like it when they pay money to read me. I don't care a fig if they think I"m a genius or not.

Namatu
04-30-2008, 12:31 AM
I like it when they pay money to read me. I don't care a fig if they think I'm a genius or not.
I also don't care if anyone thinks I'm a genius. It's enough that I'm satisfied with my work and that other people - small or many - enjoy it too.

Virector
04-30-2008, 12:35 AM
Interesting, but is it also not satisfying to be remembered as a master of the craft who brought brilliant ideas into the world? Is it all about the money? Then why be a writer, SoccerMom?

Soccer Mom
04-30-2008, 12:36 AM
Oh yeah. The satisfaction part. I write to be read--paying or not (although I much prefer being paid). I don't know if they will read me after I'm gone. I doubt it. I don't fool myself that I craft deathless prose. I just like telling a good story.

Stew21
04-30-2008, 12:37 AM
Of course it isn't all about the money. If it was about money, I think most of us would have chosen something a little more sure than writing.
I don't require the money to have satisfaction. I also don't require being remembered as a genius or a master of my craft. I just want to write and hopefully be read.

Virector
04-30-2008, 12:38 AM
Oh yeah. The satisfaction part. I write to be read--paying or not (although I much prefer being paid). I don't know if they will read me after I'm gone. I doubt it. I don't fool myself that I craft deathless prose. I just like telling a good story.

Good on you! Yes, the satisfaction is most gratifying, and it wouldn't hurt to become J.K. Rowling along the way... Oh, these dreams of mine...*sigh*

Cranky
04-30-2008, 12:39 AM
Remembered as a genius? Only if I'm dipping into the good stuff while I'm writing. Then the hangover comes and I realize...

It ain't for me to judge. I write the best story I can and leave stuff like that to experts. I'm no expert. I just scribble words I hope other people enjoy reading.

Soccer Mom
04-30-2008, 12:41 AM
Good on you! Yes, the satisfaction is most gratifying, and it wouldn't hurt to become J.K. Rowling along the way... Oh, these dreams of mine...*sigh*

That's exactly it! :D I write because it is satisfying and I would do it regardless if I was only entertaining myself. But the point of submitting my work and putting it out there is to share my stories with other folks (and of course I'd never say no to cash).

Virector
04-30-2008, 12:44 AM
Indeed, but perhaps I have been misunderstood- I do not speak of Newton/Einstein genius, I merely speak of the genius of being good with your words and your craft, might I add, not even on an extraordinary level, but just to be acknowledged as possessing skill with the pen and decent know how. I suppose that would translate to being satisfied with your work and satisfying others who would read you as well.

Soccer Mom
04-30-2008, 12:48 AM
Believe it or not, getting paid for my work is part of that feeling of accomplishment. When I first started being paid for my short stories, I felt like a writer. If someone liked my writing enough to pay money for it, then that seemed to mean a level of skill had been achieved.

Namatu
04-30-2008, 12:57 AM
Indeed, but perhaps I have been misunderstood- I do not speak of Newton/Einstein genius, I merely speak of the genius of being good with your words and your craft, might I add, not even on an extraordinary level, but just to be acknowledged as possessing skill with the pen and decent know how. I suppose that would translate to being satisfied with your work and satisfying others who would read you as well.
What you describe is subjective. One person's genius is another person's boring piece of tripe. Sometimes I'm both!

I also don't think "genius" is something you can strive for. You write, you hone your craft, you dive into the deep end and swim around in language and allusion, and learn all that you can, and hopefully that will show in your writing in a natural way that carries the reader along in the fantasy world you've created.

Virector
04-30-2008, 12:57 AM
Believe it or not, getting paid for my work is part of that feeling of accomplishment. When I first started being paid for my short stories, I felt like a writer. If someone liked my writing enough to pay money for it, then that seemed to mean a level of skill had been achieved.

Wow. I imagine that feels good. Perhaps it is because I have never recieved payment for anything I've written that I can not place myself in your shoes, but the way you put it, I understand now how getting paid really does go a long way for you as a writer. Do you sometimes imagine that perhaps if J.K.Rowling (sorry for the constant reference to her- she's a BIG inspiration to me) was not paid the millions and millions she got, she would have given up and the story of Harry Potter would not have been told the world, or she might not have put as much effort into it? Power to the dollar!! Lol!

lostgirl
04-30-2008, 12:58 AM
For me when you get paid you go from being a writer to a professional writer... the distinction matters to me and I'd be lying if I didn't want my own theme park. :D

Claudia Gray
04-30-2008, 12:58 AM
I'm not a genius, and I can live with that fact. What I want most of all is for people to have had a wonderful time reading my stories. If they respond to this wonderful time by buying more books so that I can make some money, all the better.

Virector
04-30-2008, 12:59 AM
True, that! I hear ya!

Namatu
04-30-2008, 01:01 AM
Do you sometimes imagine that perhaps if J.K.Rowling (sorry for the constant reference to her- she's a BIG inspiration to me) was not paid the millions and millions she got, she would have given up and the story of Harry Potter would not have been told the world, or she might not have put as much effort into it? Power to the dollar!! Lol!
She might not have taken it as far as it's gone. Hard to say. If the story's in you and you don't want it to drive you crazy, you write it. Commercial success, especially on Rowling's level, is a very nice side benefit.

Beyondian
04-30-2008, 01:01 AM
I'd love to be get to the point where I'm making a living from my books... mostly because then I'd be able to write full time. Genius? I'm no genius. I write because there are these little people in my head who get really angry with me if I don't...
They're called story-lines and characters, and I am a slave to their whims. :D

Cranky
04-30-2008, 01:02 AM
Wow. I imagine that feels good. Perhaps it is because I have never recieved payment for anything I've written that I can not place myself in your shoes, but the way you put it, I understand now how getting paid really does go a long way for you as a writer. Do you sometimes imagine that perhaps if J.K.Rowling (sorry for the constant reference to her- she's a BIG inspiration to me) was not paid the millions and millions she got, she would have given up and the story of Harry Potter would not have been told the world, or she might not have put as much effort into it? Power to the dollar!! Lol!

Question: Why is JK Rowling an inspiration to you? Because of the stories she's written? Or the money that she's made from them?

This is not meant to be a snotty question. I am geniunely curious about this, because I see this a lot. I am a big fan of Rowling's books (I own all seven Harry Potter books in hardcover and paperback!), and of course I wouldn't mind selling a couple of billion dollars (pounds) worth of books, either.

Phaeal
04-30-2008, 01:02 AM
I want to be remembered as a great storyteller, and I want to make people laugh and cry and tingle all over with the thrill of this new stuff that they should have known all along.

I'm not too ambitious.

;)

Bubastes
04-30-2008, 01:12 AM

What Soccer Mom said. Getting paid means someone enjoyed my story enough to pay me for the experience. To me, money is the ultimate "thank you" because it's truly sincere and not just an empty compliment.

Soccer Mom
04-30-2008, 01:15 AM
NEVER apologize for bringing up JK Rowling. :D I'm another big Harry Potter fan here myself.

But it's a good question: What is it about her that inspires you?

Personally, I think she has an amazing knack for descriptions that are so vivid, I have no trouble picturing her scenes in my mind.

Virector
04-30-2008, 01:17 AM
Question: Why is JK Rowling an inspiration to you? Because of the stories she's written? Or the money that she's made from them?

This is not meant to be a snotty question. I am geniunely curious about this, because I see this a lot. I am a big fan of Rowling's books (I own all seven Harry Potter books in hardcover and paperback!), and of course I wouldn't mind selling a couple of billion dollars (pounds) worth of books, either.

Well, I'll start by saying since I was a little kid, I've had lots of characters in my head- I'd hang out with them and talk to them (yes, everyone thought I'd gone bonkers) but they were all so real and they all had stories to tell. The thing is, I'll admit I was never really into reading books but I was always keen on writing stories then along came the Potter craze and I hopped aboard. As a result of having read the Potter books and having seen J.K. Rowling's interviews about how the ideas came to her and how she started writing the Potter series, I realized THAT'S what I want to do with my ideas-- THAT'S how I can show my own little worlds to the world so I decided since I was fairly good at writing (on an academic level) and since I had a genuine passion for writing since as far back as I can remember that I wanted to pursue becoming a writer. That's why she's an inspiration- her books lit a fire in me, and well, her being hugely succesful has also been a great motivation to want to do well in the field.

nevada
04-30-2008, 01:20 AM
Personally, I don't give a damn what people think about me after I'm dead. I'm dead. I am no more. I wouldn't know what people thought of me. So who cares? I like for people to think of me as a good person when I'm alive. A good carpenter. A good writer, but that's objective. I write because I want to, but my goal is to make money off it. That's not a sin. I don't understand the disdain some people feel for artists who actually make money doing what they love.

But what people think of me when I'm dead? Pfffft. Who cares?

Virector
04-30-2008, 01:24 AM
Personally, I don't give a damn what people think about me after I'm dead. I'm dead. I am no more. I wouldn't know what people thought of me. So who cares? I like for people to think of me as a good person when I'm alive. A good carpenter. A good writer, but that's objective. I write because I want to, but my goal is to make money off it. That's not a sin. I don't understand the disdain some people feel for artists who actually make money doing what they love.

But what people think of me when I'm dead? Pfffft. Who cares?

Yes, I understand. I was only implying leaving behing a legacy of great books, not so much literally what people actually think of YOU the writer, but of the great work you left behind.

Namatu
04-30-2008, 01:27 AM
Yes, I understand. I was only implying leaving behing a legacy of great books, not so much literally what people actually think of YOU the writer, but of the great work you left behind.
A good legacy to me would be even one person finding and reading and identifying with something in my story. Archaeologists of the year 2300 be advised! I expect you to read my petrified scribbles! :)

Toothpaste
04-30-2008, 01:31 AM
I have to admit I am kind of with Virector. When my book first sold, after I stopped shaking and called everyone I knew, and consumed some alcohol, I sat in my room in utter disbelief. Because the thought I could not get over was that my book would be published and that, after I died, somewhere out there, even if only one person ever bought my book, it would exist. I would have some sort of immortality, not necessarily the kind Shakespeare enjoys, but still, I would have left my mark on this earth. This was something I never thought I was capable of doing, never thought I was significant enough to accomplish. I mean, I can't invent anything, or come up with a cure to cancer or whatever. But somewhere, out there, even after I am gone (barring a nuclear holocaust or whathaveyou), my book will still be around.

Sure I love writing. Sure I love interacting with the kids who read my book. And you better believe I love getting paid for it. But this whole life after death thing, is kind of awesome too.

Okay, so maybe it's a bit different than thinking people will think I am a genius after I am dead, I don't much care if they do or not (though if they did, that wouldn't be bad either), but people will still be thinking of me. Even if it's only one person.

Bubastes
04-30-2008, 01:32 AM
By the time I die, I'm sure anything I write will be long-forgotten in the pop culture compost pile (if it even reaches that level). I don't write great work. I write fun stories that people read on the beach or on planes. That's okay with me.

Virector
04-30-2008, 01:37 AM
I have to admit I am kind of with Virector. When my book first sold, after I stopped shaking and called everyone I knew, and consumed some alcohol, I sat in my room in utter disbelief. Because the thought I could not get over was that my book would be published and that, after I died, somewhere out there, even if only one person ever bought my book, it would exist. I would have some sort of immortality, not necessarily the kind Shakespeare enjoys, but still, I would have left my mark on this earth.

AHA! I'm glad you connected with what I'm trying to say! Perhaps I misphrased my OP... See, that's why I joined AW, to learn how to use my words well and not be misunderstood. Anyway, Toothpaste, you seem to have understood what I was implying, so I'm not hopeless! Lol!

Toothpaste
04-30-2008, 01:41 AM
By the time I die, I'm sure anything I write will be long-forgotten in the pop culture compost pile (if it even reaches that level). I don't write great work. I write fun stories that people read on the beach or on planes. That's okay with me.

But hon, somewhere, in someone's summer home bookshelf, will be a worn copy of your book. And some teenager, bored because his holodeck broke down again, will wander into the room and go, "Okay let's try this".

Things don't just vanish. They might not become a part of the popular culture, or taught in universities etc, but think about the random books you've stumbled on at rummage sales, or your parents' bookshelves, someone, somewhere, will for that brief moment, know you existed.

And I think that's kind of cool.

Virector
04-30-2008, 01:45 AM
Things don't just vanish. They might not become a part of the popular culture, or taught in universities etc, but think about the random books you've stumbled on at rummage sales, or your parents' bookshelves, someone, somewhere, will for that brief moment, know you existed.

And I think that's kind of cool.

Very well put, Toothpaste! That's exactly what I was trying to drive at.

ishtar'sgate
04-30-2008, 01:54 AM
Lofty goal. Genius I am not nor will I ever be. I think a true genius leads a very tortured life and I don't want any part of that! My goal is to have people enjoy my work enough so that I can keep on writing and selling novels.
Linnea

mscelina
04-30-2008, 01:56 AM

You're planning on dying? Hmmph. Talk about fatalism...

I, on the other hand, never intend to die. I intend to live, forever, and torture people with my purple prose and dialogue tags and adverbs. I want people to read my work, shake their heads, and say that some dried up old hack wrote it. I will be propped up when we fall. That is my goal as a writer.

People who concentrate on what other people think of them very rarely get anything accomplished. I focus on what my story requires and, slave that I am, endeavor to provide it. If, at the end of all things, I feel that I have done justice to what my muses have prodded me to produce, I'll pass into immortality content.

Until then, the royalty checks are nice.

Cranky
04-30-2008, 01:58 AM
Well, I'll start by saying since I was a little kid, I've had lots of characters in my head- I'd hang out with them and talk to them (yes, everyone thought I'd gone bonkers) but they were all so real and they all had stories to tell. The thing is, I'll admit I was never really into reading books but I was always keen on writing stories then along came the Potter craze and I hopped aboard. As a result of having read the Potter books and having seen J.K. Rowling's interviews about how the ideas came to her and how she started writing the Potter series, I realized THAT'S what I want to do with my ideas-- THAT'S how I can show my own little worlds to the world so I decided since I was fairly good at writing (on an academic level) and since I had a genuine passion for writing since as far back as I can remember that I wanted to pursue becoming a writer. That's why she's an inspiration- her books lit a fire in me, and well, her being hugely succesful has also been a great motivation to want to do well in the field.

Awesomeness. Thanks for answering...I really was curious. :)

Soccer Mom
04-30-2008, 02:07 AM
What Celina is saying (my job today is to play translator ;)) is that worrying about things like "legacy" and "genius" can be very paralyzing, especially when you are in the early stages. Focus instead on getting those great characters out of your head and onto paper. Start treating your writing seriously by planning on daily BIC time. (BIC = Butt in Chair). It's the only way to get things accomplish.

Write, learn, grow, rinse, repeat.

Uncle Jim here (see his awesome advice in the novels forum) says that you must give yourself permission to write crap. The fear that your words may not be good enough can keep you from finishing your work and keep you from actually writing.

Get the story down first and then work on editing, polishing and rewriting it until it shines.

mscelina
04-30-2008, 02:09 AM
No, what Celina was saying is : that I am not going to die. Pure and simple. ;)

Maybe some of that other stuff too. But seriously, I'm really not going to die. Trust me. I figure if Keith Richards is still kicking, I'll still be complaining in 3000--pickled, preserved, and percolated.

Soccer Mom
04-30-2008, 02:10 AM
No, what Celina was saying is : that I am not going to die. Pure and simple. ;)

Maybe some of that other stuff too. But seriously, I'm really not going to die. Trust me. I figure if Keith Richards is still kicking, I'll still be complaining in 3000--pickled, preserved, and percolated.

Everyone just back away nodding and smiling. Set the vodka down close to her an it'll be fine.

Virector
04-30-2008, 02:11 AM
You're planning on dying? Hmmph. Talk about fatalism...

I, on the other hand, never intend to die. I intend to live, forever, and torture people with my purple prose and dialogue tags and adverbs. I want people to read my work, shake their heads, and say that some dried up old hack wrote it. I will be propped up when we fall. That is my goal as a writer.

People who concentrate on what other people think of them very rarely get anything accomplished. I focus on what my story requires and, slave that I am, endeavor to provide it. If, at the end of all things, I feel that I have done justice to what my muses have prodded me to produce, I'll pass into immortality content.

Until then, the royalty checks are nice.

Really, MSCelina, I think I mentioned I misphrased my OP, but Toothpaste sort of clarified my meaning. I'm sorry if you got the wrong impression from my post. I really don't concentrate on what other people think of me (if that was aimed at me) and I hope you didn't misread my motive in posting that.

mscelina
04-30-2008, 02:13 AM
*sigh*

I didn't. It was a joke. *sigh* It's called irony. Sorry if you missed the humor.

*grumble grumble*

Perhaps a second look at the advice tacked on after the joke might help you here:

In other words, just write. Enjoy the experience of it. Learn to indulge your imagination. Don't weigh yourself down with expectations in lieu of allowing your creativity free rein. Let the college professors of the future worry about their syllabi--all you need to worry about is getting the stories in your mind down onto paper.

Virector
04-30-2008, 02:16 AM
*sigh*

I didn't. It was a joke. *sigh* It's called irony. Sorry if you missed the humor.

*grumble grumble*

Lol! Sorry about that. I was a little concerned about your post, since it seemed... well, never mind. Lol!

mscelina
04-30-2008, 02:21 AM
sarcasm, my dear, is my speciality. Some, like Soccer Mom, have got that cyber-nurturing thing down to a science. Others, such as myself, concentrate on smartassedness. Interesting part of all that is--Soccer Mom and I find ourselves often saying the same things, albeit in different ways.

Storm Dream
04-30-2008, 02:23 AM
It'd be nice to have the work "live on," but I don't really care for the genius stamp. I'd rather be remembered as entertaining.

I especially don't want to be taught in school. The only book that I liked after it was part of my education was Catch-22; the rest were utterly killed for me.

Soccer Mom
04-30-2008, 02:24 AM
Give it a little time Virector and you'll get to know all our personalities around here.

Speaking of...I haven't kittehed you yet.

It's a requirement.

http://images.icanhascheezburger.com/completestore/2008/4/29/pa128539694954375000.jpg

There ya go. Now you can stay.

Virector
04-30-2008, 02:25 AM
sarcasm, my dear, is my speciality. Some, like Soccer Mom, have got that cyber-nurturing thing down to a science. Others, such as myself, concentrate on smartassedness. Interesting part of all that is--Soccer Mom and I find ourselves often saying the same things, albeit in different ways.

Hmmm... Interesting...

Virector
04-30-2008, 02:27 AM
Give it a little time Virector and you'll get to know all our personalities around here.

Speaking of...I haven't kittehed you yet.

It's a requirement.

There ya go. Now you can stay.

Aww, cute. Thank you, Soccer Mom!

writin52
04-30-2008, 02:33 AM
I am a writer, first and foremost because I am compelled to be one. I need to write, whether I am praised as a genius after my death or get paid for my work in life, I write because I must. (Corny, maybe but very true for me) It satisfies my soul.

Toothpaste
04-30-2008, 02:37 AM
I guess Virector, we are alone in this club. I think we should come up with a secret handshake and stuff!

Though I will add that i do agree if you worry so much about being remembered forever, it could wind up hindering your writing, making you unable to make mistakes, or get through the "first draft of crap" phase. Obviously it is important to be passionate about writing in the here and now as well. But still, the immortality thing is a nice bonus.

Beyondian
04-30-2008, 02:38 AM
Y'know, personally, I'd like my characters to 'live on'. Not me. Them.
From all my favorite books, the novels I go back and read again and again, the most vivid thing to me about them is not the author, but the people she or he made me care about, their worlds and characters.
And if someone in the future, (even while I'm still alive - which will be, if not forever, at least a couple 'f centuries) can't remember my name for peanuts, but does remember the characters I wrote, then I'll be perfectly happy.

Beyondian
04-30-2008, 02:41 AM
I guess Virector, we are alone in this club. I think we should come up with a secret handshake and stuff!

Oh, no. I do agree that there is a mindboggling sort of unbelievable coolness in the idea that even when I'm dead, people might pick up something of mine, might still access my ideas through the written word. Almost like a sort of time-travel.

Not exactly my main reason for writing or anything, but very cool. Of course, it would be even better if we could still be alive to enjoy it.

eveningstar
04-30-2008, 02:43 AM

Though I will add that i do agree if you worry so much about being remembered forever, it could wind up hindering your writing, making you unable to make mistakes, or get through the "first draft of crap" phase. Obviously it is important to be passionate about writing in the here and now as well. But still, the immortality thing is a nice bonus.

Not that alone! I'd join, though I'm not yet published. I am also a painter, though, and my paintings are owned by people in several different countries and they will (I hope) exist as art long after I'm gone. I think it's very cool to be able to leave a tangible mark on the world.

Virector
04-30-2008, 02:45 AM
Yup, I hear you, Beyondian. However, my characters are... *me* in very odd, distorted ways, so if they are standing when I fall, I will be standing when we fall. :) I dunno if that makes perfect sense.

Yeah, Toothpaste. I guess we might be on our own and I hear you, we needn't focus on creating eternal classics, we just need to write our best; all of us, and well, just hope that we turn out alright.

Virector
04-30-2008, 02:51 AM
Hey! In fact, I'll make a song called I will be standing when we fall (Yes, I make music too- aren't I brilliant?... Or not)... Yes, yes... that should be interesting, so I have equal opportunity to be read and heard... I'll go to my digital studio, FL Studio, now and get started... then I'll get to writing later.

Zelenka
04-30-2008, 03:08 AM
In my nastier moments I have this daydream about future school students cursing me as they're forced to study my books... ;)

In all seriousness though, I think it'd be nice if something remained as my legacy, and if people still enjoyed my books in years to come. In fact, it'd be nice if people enjoyed my books full stop. If not, though, that's the way the cookie crumbles. It's not going to stop me writing.

And I'm with Mscelina - I'm going to live forever. Or die trying.

Danger Jane
04-30-2008, 07:05 AM

Hey, I'll join! Of course it holds us back to worry about what people will think, but it sure is a nice thought that a hundred years after I die, somebody might really like my book. Or, hell, some teenager might read my book and say, "Man, that's what I want to do!"

Birol
04-30-2008, 07:37 AM
Virector, I'm glad to see you relaxing a bit. When you first started this thread, your words were stiff and formal, as if you were afraid to embarrass yourself among all these real writers. The best thing that you can do is relax, enjoy AW, enjoy life, and enjoy writing, not necessarily in that order.

Virector
04-30-2008, 07:44 AM
Thank you, Birol! Yes, being around all you real writers, many of whom have probably been published can be a bit... intimidating.

JennaGlatzer
04-30-2008, 07:49 AM
Sometimes I think about leaving a legacy, and how cool that would be. I do like the idea that hundreds of years from now, some random person could pick up my work and be changed by it, long after I'm gone. But mostly, I'm a very practical writer-- I write because it's something I'm good at and enjoy, and because it's a way to earn a living that fits my lifestyle (working from home). To be honest, if it didn't pay the bills, I probably wouldn't write much. I do think of it as a job. A cool job, but a job nonetheless. At this point, I'd much rather "just" be a mom and write a little on the side, but I can't afford it!

Virector
04-30-2008, 07:53 AM
Sometimes I think about leaving a legacy, and how cool that would be. I do like the idea that hundreds of years from now, some random person could pick up my work and be changed by it, long after I'm gone. But mostly, I'm a very practical writer-- I write because it's something I'm good at and enjoy, and because it's a way to earn a living that fits my lifestyle (working from home). To be honest, if it didn't pay the bills, I probably wouldn't write much. I do think of it as a job. A cool job, but a job nonetheless. At this point, I'd much rather "just" be a mom and write a little on the side, but I can't afford it!

Well, they say the most satisfying job is the one you enjoy doing, and if you're happy, then stay that way. :)

Shweta
04-30-2008, 09:57 AM
I don't really care about deathless prose; I just want to create living prose :D

Birol
04-30-2008, 10:21 AM
Ooo. Yeah. That. Words that leap off the page and take on a life of their own are the best.