PDA

View Full Version : Ideas on advance book distribution?

loudfast
04-29-2008, 10:52 PM
Howdy folks -

Here it is, my first post! And I'm hoping to turn up some ideas on a somewhat pressing situation involving book distribution, especially in a particular region.

Over the years I've written a number of books that have gone the stanard route to publication and distribution. However, a couple of years ago I had the publisher of a small house die on the verge of publication of one of my books. Since the topic was fairly time sensitive, and I did not want to spend the weeks/months needed to find a new home for it, I decided to try iUniverse. The book was out in six weeks, did quite well, and I noticed hundreds of copies being bought by Ingram Book Company for distibution to retail bookstores.

Fast forward to now: I've just finished a year-long project with a popular NFL player. We are now considering going the iUniverse (or similar) route - we have no problem with building a web site for on-line web sales, etc. But, we want to leverage this guy's popularity by having the books in-store in the region covered by his team. I'd love to hear any ideas on how we could accomplish distribution in advance in this area so that the title is in-store upon release.

Thanks in adavance for any input...

aka eraser
04-30-2008, 01:11 AM
Hi loudfast and welcome to the Cooler. I'm going to punt your question to a more relevant (I hope) forum: POD Self-Publishing etc. You might also check out the Book Promotions forum just below it.

Good luck.

loudfast
04-30-2008, 01:27 AM
Thank you - I debated about starting the thread there or Roundtable - sorry to create work for you!

IceCreamEmpress
04-30-2008, 04:46 AM
I'd check with the small distributors like IPGbook.org and see what you can work out with them.

JosephR
05-02-2008, 07:13 PM
Would you happen to know if IPG takes on independent self-publishers, Ice?

benbradley
05-02-2008, 09:26 PM
The .org URL IceCreamExpress didn't work for me, but a quick Google brings me here:
http://www.ipgbook.com

loudfast
05-06-2008, 03:21 PM
Thanks for the suggestion, folks - I will look into it.